Seriously No Politics ×

Conference Discussions

1 hour ago, Bernard Gui said:

Isn’t that like spraying graffiti on and drilling holes in the Temple walls?

I don't like tattoos. The thought sometimes make me physical sick.  I often feel they look like a mess. 

However, no I don't think it is necessarily the same thing, especially when we think of putting on makeup, fingernail polish and even clothes.

But even if we find those things different because they are not permanent, I feel it matters why they got it.  Met a big, rough looking guy at the gym once, but really nice and kind.  He had music on his arm.  I asked him what the song was.  It was something like Clair de Lune. He got it because the music got him through rough times. In other words if we go with your idea it was like forming a spiritual choir on the temple grounds.

But overall I don't care why people get them. Only God can specify what it was like for each person.

We are trying to guess where it will be. Gig Harbor is a definite possibility because it would better serve the folks on the Peninsula, but then the rest of the Pierce County people would have to deal with the Narrows Bridge.

Somewhere near a freeway, but not near the Joint Base McCord/Lewis flight paths? Maybe Puyallup/South Hill? Too much traffic on Meridian.  Federal Way /Auburn? Horrendous crime and traffic.

What do you think?

We were directed by the Spirit to where we are now, but the reasons did not become clear until we were about 6 months into the move. So many miracles that my DIL once said, “Stop the miracles! I can’t take any more miracles!”

Oh wow. I would love some miracles! Yeah, Federal Way is a nightmare. My husband found a body at work there - young man in his early 20's died of an overdose. Last time we had to get gas there, we had to go inside to pay and they don't unlock the door until you show your face to the camera. 

I can't imagine it in Auburn either. Trying to think of a part of Auburn that's both beautiful and in a very visible location. I thought the same about Puyallup - traffic is so backed up. My best friends begged us to move there and I said it was already bad when my husband was in the Air Force and we lived there. Longest part of the commute was just getting to 512. I can't wait to find out where it will be! Lakewood is also a dump. Lived there too. 

Those guys are really good.

Orange Blossom Special is so much fun to play. If I can figure out how, I’ll post a recording of our band Uncle Lumpy and the Friends of Calvin Coolidge playing it at Snowbird Ski Resort. in 1972.

That would only be about thirty different kinds of AWESOME! ;) :D (Isn't one of your sons named Computerliteratissimo? :D :rofl: :D)

16 minutes ago, JustAnAustralian said:

Aren't temple murals mostly on the inside though? So a temple mural equivalent tattoo would be like that guy that tattooed his urethra. 

We are told that the inner vessel is the most important so internal tattoos would logically be holier.

4 hours ago, The Nehor said:

We wear clothes so that is like putting on a house tent for perpetual fumigation.

Wouldn’t a tattoo just be a mural?

We are told that the inner vessel is the most important so internal tattoos would logically be holier.

No and no. We wear clothes to cover our nakedness and protect us from the elements.

Writing and drawing  on the outside of a temple is just graffiti.

We are also told to cleanse the inner vessel.

Edited by Bernard Gui
4 hours ago, MorningStar said:

Oh wow. I would love some miracles! Yeah, Federal Way is a nightmare. My husband found a body at work there - young man in his early 20's died of an overdose. Last time we had to get gas there, we had to go inside to pay and they don't unlock the door until you show your face to the camera. 

I can't imagine it in Auburn either. Trying to think of a part of Auburn that's both beautiful and in a very visible location. I thought the same about Puyallup - traffic is so backed up. My best friends begged us to move there and I said it was already bad when my husband was in the Air Force and we lived there. Longest part of the commute was just getting to 512. I can't wait to find out where it will be! Lakewood is also a dump. Lived there too. 

University Place is too hard to get to. Same with north Tacoma. Our stake was unable to get land for a stake center on South Hill for political and religious reasons. The huge Sunrise development set aside land for churches, but instead of selling a plot to us they donated it to an Evangelical church which then turned around and parceled it for residential use. 

Edited by Bernard Gui
6 hours ago, SeekingUnderstanding said:

Is that what we call the stained glass windows and beautiful stone work at the temples?

Ummm…..no.

14 hours ago, HappyJackWagon said:

"Discourage" is interesting.

Most things in the church are more than just recommendations. There are usually consequences affixed, and the behaviors are usually a line in the sand. I think about things like the Word of Wisdom. It has become a commandment to NEVER drink coffee, tea, alcohol instead of a more moderate recommendation to avoid drunkenness etc. I don't know that the church teaches moderation in things very well. You either CAN do them or you CAN"T. The church doesn't usually make recommendations, but I think it would do very well to move more that direction.

For some people it is very hard to use substances moderately. Were I not a committed LDS I probably would have that problem.

Edited by Bernard Gui
5 hours ago, Rain said:

I don't like tattoos. The thought sometimes make me physical sick.  I often feel they look like a mess. 

However, no I don't think it is necessarily the same thing, especially when we think of putting on makeup, fingernail polish and even clothes.

But even if we find those things different because they are not permanent, I feel it matters why they got it.  Met a big, rough looking guy at the gym once, but really nice and kind.  He had music on his arm.  I asked him what the song was.  It was something like Clair de Lune. He got it because the music got him through rough times. In other words if we go with your idea it was like forming a spiritual choir on the temple grounds.

But overall I don't care why people get them. Only God can specify what it was like for each person.

Yes, I understand that. I have many friends and close family members who have tattoos ranging  from a rose to both arm full sleeves, knuckles to shoulders. Some who have converted to the gospel cover them, some do not. One changed the f word on his knuckles to chains. 

Edited by Bernard Gui
4 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

That would only be about thirty different kinds of AWESOME! ;) :D (Isn't one of your sons named Computerliteratissimo? :D :rofl: :D)

Yes. That would be Artisissimo‘s middle name. Maybe he can help me out. 

2 hours ago, Calm said:

Ouch….

It was an inside job.

7 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

Yes, I understand that. I have many friends and close family members who have tattoos ranging  from a rose to both arm full sleeves, knuckles to shoulders. Some who have converted to the gospel cover them, some do not. One changed the f word on his knuckles to chains. 

Would this be an appropriate tattoo?  😉

tatoos.jpg.306c5f574fce3011117b4372d853cecd.jpg

55 minutes ago, cherryTreez said:

Is there any art on the temples? Or designs or anything beyond basic nothing?  

52 minutes ago, Duncan said:

our temple has a prairie crocus motif on the temple exterior

Mesa Temple has a series of friezes of the pioneers near the top of the exterior that extends around the building.

I think a lot of the temples may have more than we think, but it is symbolic so we may not recognize it.  I remember inside the Jordan temple when they redid it had circles - they were not just design. The Gilbert temple has agave in its stained glass that definitely shows from the outside.

I want to be clear that I do think tattoos are a separate category than we put on the temple. I just think rarely, if at all, should we consider them graffiti especially if it is not our own bodies.

Edited by Rain
15 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

Kentucky ain’t so bad…..

Do you mind sharing where you are?

We're up in Everett.  There is still a lot about this State that I love and is beautiful, but the area on the West side of the mountains has become a literal sewer. It is so sad.