Seriously No Politics ×

More Cultural and Moral Decay

7 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Seems extreme.  Why are you reacting so strongly to this? Men dressed up like women? Is this the worst society offers us? 

I was going to say that drag in itself doesn't seem to indicate moral or cultural decadence. I guess some people can't imagine a "family friendly" drag show. *shrug*

Edited by jkwilliams
12 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Seems extreme.  Why are you reacting so strongly to this? Men dressed up like women? Is this the worst society offers us? 

No.  It is however still a corruption of God’s fundamental plan.  That “ former” BYU students are involved shows how low they have sunk.

27 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

So wordless and horrified you took the time to write words and share it here!

Is this that virtue signaling thing people are always whining about?

Attack the messenger and not the evil that is on display.  Got it.  By your understanding of the term virtue signaling…if I said murder was bad you would call me a Karen, right?  I’m ok with that.

Edited by Durangout
Just now, bluebell said:

I'm neutral on it.  There is no way for me to righteously judge them individually, and I've been commanded not to judge unrighteously.  And that's what I would be doing if I condemned them.

Yeah, I’m not particularly interested in drag shows, just as superhero movies don’t do anything for me. But there’s nothing necessarily salacious or erotic about a drag show. 

1 minute ago, ttribe said:

So glad you got Madam Pattirini in the thread. As soon as I saw the first post in here, Madam Pattirini was the first thing I though of.

It's kind of funny that drag shows were not a big deal at that time, but now it's a sign of impending societal collapse.

20 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

Yeah, I’m not particularly interested in drag shows, just as superhero movies don’t do anything for me. But there’s nothing necessarily salacious or erotic about a drag show. 

The only drag shows that I've been exposed to (not many and never in person) have not been sexual at all.  It's like performance art.  The connection to BYU is just an attempt for the show to be a part of Utah counter culture. 

A lot of people get their "street cred" in Utah by defining themselves in opposition to the church.  I find that a weird way to be in the world personally because it seems like just another way to decide who you are going to be based on other people's choices, but I don't think it's a sinful lifestyle in and of itself.

Edited by bluebell
Just now, bluebell said:

The only drag shows that I've been exposed to (not many and never in person) have not been sexual at all.  It's like performance art.  The connection to BYU is just an attempt for the show to be a part of Utah counter culture. 

Yes, a lot of people get their "street cred" in Utah by defining themselves in opposition to the church.  I find that a weird way to be in the world personally because it seems like just another way to decide who you are going to be based on other people's choices, but I don't think it's a sinful lifestyle in and of itself.

I've always thought it was funny that in Utah a lot of the "vices" use names that are parodies of things Mormon, such as Polygamy Porter beer and Five Wives vodka. It seemed like a fairly good-natured tweaking of the dominant culture and never bothered me.