General Conference Predictions and Rumors

mtomm

3 hours ago, smac97 said:

Before the Frontrunner went in, the logistics of getting thousands of missionaries to and from Salt Lake and Provo every week/month were pretty intense, and Provo is less than 50 miles away. 

How did it used to happen?  Now that you bring it up I don't remember how I got from the MTC to the SLC airport.

Edited by ksfisher

Same. Shuttle. Except, we waited all day with plane trouble and eventually went back to the MTC, but the new load of missionaries had come in,so we stayed on cots in the basement. Shuttled back to the airport early the next day, we're a day late getting there,and missed the new arrival stay at the mission home. "Here's your trainer, here's your train ticket, we're glad to have you,God bless!" and off we went. 

We had two appointments on the way from the train station with my luggage,and I fell asleep at the second one (jet lag, hot apartment and cold outside, warm drink). Great memories!

Temple predictions are pretty wild now. Since a lot of obvious places have been announced, and since a number of places are getting second temples, and since some pretty off-the-wall places are announced that couldn’t be predicted, I don’t know what to make of it. But the two places that had previously been dark horse candidates for me are hanging out on the list:

Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia. 
Jakarta, Indonesia. 

My dark horse candidates are now Dublin, Ireland, and Glasgow, Scotland. 

17 minutes ago, ksfisher said:

I can remember the airport, but have no recollection of getting there.  Too long ago, I guess.

I think we had to arise at 2am or something like that. I tried to doze off on the shuttle. Oh, and I was sick and miserable with a viral infection. Things like that stick with me.

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
7 hours ago, smac97 said:

I'm not sure an MTC in Rexburg would be a good idea.  The nearest large airport is in Salt Lake, 240+ miles away.  Before the Frontrunner went in, the logistics of getting thousands of missionaries to and from Salt Lake and Provo every week/month were pretty intense, and Provo is less than 50 miles away. 

Think of all the buses that would need to traverse that 240 miles.  Think of how many months out of the year the roads in southeast Idaho are snowy/icy.

Thanks,

-Smac

It’s not unprecedented. 

I went on my mission in 1974, a year or two before the Provo MTC was constructed. The forerunner to the MTC was the LTM, or Language Training Mission. It was split between three locations: BYU in Provo, Ricks College (now BYU-Idaho) in Rexburg and the Church College of Hawaii (now BYU-Hawaii). 

The Scandinavian, Finland and Netherlands mission LTMs were in Rexburg, so as a Sweden-bound missionary, I went there. We were transported by bus from the Mission Home in Salt Lake to Rexburg and ultimately from Rexburg to the Salt Lake airport. 

At one point during our LTM stint, we went by bus to do a session at the Idaho Falls Temple. 

We occupied, as I recall, one floor of the dorms on campus and shared the cafeteria with the students living there. 

6 hours ago, smac97 said:

I'm sure southeast Idaho is at the top of Elon's list of places to put in a subterranean highway.

Thanks,

-Smac

Of course! Just think of how many potatoes he could grab from underneath!! Why he could corner the potato market! 

And did you know you can make batteries from potatoes?

There ya go!

6 hours ago, smac97 said:

I'm sure southeast Idaho is at the top of Elon's list of places to put in a subterranean highway.

Thanks,

-Smac

Yea, well you know why he would jump at the chance? 

See he can swipe potatoes from underneath, and then turn them into batteries!!  

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/a-potato-battery-can-light-up-a-room-for-over-a-month-180948260/

6 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Someone loses it and just starts asking “why so many of you idiots are unvaccinated”, garment wearing only mandatory in temples, light barley beer now allowed due to a quick reread of the Word of Wisdom last week (but not while or just before driving), concubinage reintroduced for both genders, and free jet packs are to be given to all members.

How serious are you about the bolded part? Because the Church has been surveying Millennials/GenZ about garments (including how much they like/don't like them in general, think they are weird, etc.). I don't think it's preposterous to think that they will be done away with, at least as far as "throughout your life" and "morning and night." 

What would happen to members who decide to keep wearing them? Would they be subject to discipline? 

It seems like all things that are floated as trial balloons in surveys (or are "piloted") eventually are implemented --- it's just a question of when.

55 minutes ago, rongo said:

How serious are you about the bolded part? Because the Church has been surveying Millennials/GenZ about garments (including how much they like/don't like them in general, think they are weird, etc.). I don't think it's preposterous to think that they will be done away with, at least as far as "throughout your life" and "morning and night." 

What would happen to members who decide to keep wearing them? Would they be subject to discipline? 

It seems like all things that are floated as trial balloons in surveys (or are "piloted") eventually are implemented --- it's just a question of when.

But if we aren't required to wear them all of the time how will judge those who we suspect aren't wearing them? 

We'd have to rely on their fruits and that's not near as fulfilling as looking for garment lines. 

2 hours ago, rongo said:

I can’t imagine we would be punished for continuing to wear them. I mean things have changed over the last few years and how people wear their garments is up to them and not some random member who thinks they know better (bra over, under that kind of thing). However, if they were no longer required, then availability could become a problem. 

19 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I predict Elder Holland will apologize or fix what he said at BYU. I hope he apologizes about bringing up Matt Easton's valedictorian's speech. 

I would really like this to happen as well.  Elder Holland has said words before and apologized for them, so there is a chance this could happen. (Ie. When his faith promoting story about the missionary and the biker gang was retracted).

1 hour ago, Peacefully said:

I can’t imagine we would be punished for continuing to wear them. I mean things have changed over the last few years and how people wear their garments is up to them and not some random member who thinks they know better (bra over, under that kind of thing). However, if they were no longer required, then availability could become a problem. 

If a policy change directed members not to wear them at all any more, or only in the temple, then the reason behind it would probably dictate a desire not to have it be optional. The only real reason would be because it would be seen as "weird," and out of a desire to stamp out such uniquely "weird" things. I think there would also be a desire for there not to be a de facto caste system.

This really can't be compared to the over/under issue with women, because it is still supposed to be worn morning and night, throughout life, as instructed. 

If it ever happened, I'm sure it would be announced with the standard "this is not a change in doctrine, it's just a change in presentation or symbols." I think that would be a hard sell. 

3 hours ago, mtomm said:

But if we aren't required to wear them all of the time how will judge those who we suspect aren't wearing them? 

We'd have to rely on their fruits and that's not near as fulfilling as looking for garment lines. 

Who actually cares about  garment lines, or judging based on that? I care about it because of my covenants, and my promises. 

1 hour ago, 2BizE said:

I would really like this to happen as well.  Elder Holland has said words before and apologized for them, so there is a chance this could happen. (Ie. When his faith promoting story about the missionary and the biker gang was retracted).

He seems like a good man and has advocated for those with depression. So if he would like to fix how he came across that would be such a relief for so many. We all do things we regret and I bet most of us would like an opportunity to correct any harms we may have done. So many look up to Elder Holland, and it was hard to see this happen.

13 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

I think we had to arise at 2am or something like that. I tried to doze off on the shuttle. Oh, and I was sick and miserable with a viral infection. Things like that stick with me.

One of my MTC district companions and I snuck out the night before to have dinner with my parents who had driven up from CA to see me off. We were shuttled the next day to the airport where I was able to spend a bit more time with my folks before leaving for Sao Paulo. My dad slipped me $50 bucks in case I needed to 'bargain' my way through the international gate in Brazil. What memories. I would not trade them for the world. : )