General Conference Predictions and Rumors

mtomm

1 hour ago, Esrom said:

One of the things I hear a lot, and find some agreement with, is that GC never delivers to the people hungry for revelation, mysteries, doctrinal meat.  It's mostly fatherly encouragement, timely cautions, tips for better living, and announcements of new temples.  It can be inspiring but sadly, for many, it's a yawn.

I hear you on that. Remember though, this "fatherly encouragement" comes from the mouths of oracles chosen by God. Looking at it that way, it can make even the most pedestrian of pronouncements seem a bit more significant. ; ) Granted though, gone are the days of grand healings (of sickness and limb) or prophesying of large scale catastrophes and such... 

14 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Interesting. That hasn't been my experience in general, and it certainly wasn't for this last conference. One of my favourite things with GC is listening for the speakers to address things the Spirit has been teaching me personally over the preceding months. It happens nearly every time. And then there is the personal revelation that flows from hearing the words of the prophets and other inspired leaders -- which, for me, often feels like the revelation that flows in the temple.

Of course, some people also seem to find the temple 'a yawn' ...

Great points!  I completely agree that GC experience is very much dependent on a person's subjective attitude and receptivity, just like the temple.  I too enjoyed this recent GC.  I just meant that objectively, there's not been new revelation material, scripture, or much in the way of deeper doctrinal understanding presented, in a very long time.  GC seems tailored for a wide audience, and I can understand why that's the need.  But can you just imagine a GC where something stupendous is revealed, such as the Book of Lehi, the unfolding of the Revelations of John mentioned in the BoM, or possibly a direct revelation from the Lord regarding the pandemic?

16 hours ago, Vanguard said:

I hear you on that. Remember though, this "fatherly encouragement" comes from the mouths of oracles chosen by God. Looking at it that way, it can make even the most pedestrian of pronouncements seem a bit more significant. ; ) Granted though, gone are the days of grand healings (of sickness and limb) or prophesying of large scale catastrophes and such... 

I see no reason whatsoever for those days to have ended.  If anything, it seems more needed.  Yes, Exhortation is critical, but the prophetic has also always been present.