Doctrine 612 Posted April 4, 2020 Posted April 4, 2020 Have you sisters read the scriptures the church has asked you to read? To the sisters: Study prayerfully about the restoration of the priesthood and how to draw upon that power, beginning with reading Doctrine and Covenants sections 25, 84, and 107. Is it going to happen? the president said a special announcement.
The Nehor Posted April 4, 2020 Posted April 4, 2020 2 minutes ago, Doctrine 612 said: Have you sisters read the scriptures the church has asked you to read? To the sisters: Study prayerfully about the restoration of the priesthood and how to draw upon that power, beginning with reading Doctrine and Covenants sections 25, 84, and 107. Just an FYI: This comes across as a little condescending whether intended or not. 1
rodheadlee Posted April 4, 2020 Posted April 4, 2020 1 hour ago, The Nehor said: Just an FYI: This comes across as a little condescending whether intended or not. Not 1
Rain Posted April 4, 2020 Posted April 4, 2020 1 hour ago, The Nehor said: Just an FYI: This comes across as a little condescending whether intended or not. I have to admit that I wished all had been asked to read it with a note about there being some importance to women rather than just the sisters being asked to read it. So I don't think the OP intended to be condescending, but was just going with how it was worded in the email. 1
rongo Posted April 4, 2020 Posted April 4, 2020 1 hour ago, Rain said: I have to admit that I wished all had been asked to read it with a note about there being some importance to women rather than just the sisters being asked to read it. So I don't think the OP intended to be condescending, but was just going with how it was worded in the email. Sounds like the men are doing pretty well. No special assignment for a social media fast, no special reading assignment. Or, maybe the men are a lost cause, and have been written off . . . 3
Scott Lloyd Posted April 5, 2020 Posted April 5, 2020 (edited) 10 hours ago, Doctrine 612 said: Have you sisters read the scriptures the church has asked you to read? To the sisters: Study prayerfully about the restoration of the priesthood and how to draw upon that power, beginning with reading Doctrine and Covenants sections 25, 84, and 107. Is it going to happen? the president said a special announcement. Maybe there’s something yet to come, but the special announcement bill has already been filled with the unveiling of the Church’s new visual symbol. And the instructional focus of the evening session on priesthood seems reason enough to have encouraged advance preparation by reading those scriptural references. No need to speculate on any sensational or startling changes, say I. Edited April 5, 2020 by Scott Lloyd 2
Damien the Leper Posted April 5, 2020 Posted April 5, 2020 Even IF the leadership announced that women would be granted full priesthood capacity, those who have said they won't hold priesthood would find the "revelation" to not be a big deal. It would be "business as usual" and cause no ripples or waves in the harmony of the church. But let's be real. It's never going to happen.
SteveO Posted April 5, 2020 Posted April 5, 2020 7 hours ago, Valentinus said: Even IF the leadership announced that women would be granted full priesthood capacity, those who have said they won't hold priesthood would find the "revelation" to not be a big deal. It would be "business as usual" and cause no ripples or waves in the harmony of the church. But let's be real. It's never going to happen. You know, sometimes I wish you guys would stop and do a little self reflection before you post...about how you possibly come across to people who aren’t completely blinded by their disdain and contempt for the church. Unreal.
The Nehor Posted April 5, 2020 Posted April 5, 2020 10 hours ago, Valentinus said: Even IF the leadership announced that women would be granted full priesthood capacity, those who have said they won't hold priesthood would find the "revelation" to not be a big deal. It would be "business as usual" and cause no ripples or waves in the harmony of the church. But let's be real. It's never going to happen. U mad bro?
telnetd Posted April 5, 2020 Posted April 5, 2020 22 hours ago, Rain said: I have to admit that I wished all had been asked to read it with a note about there being some importance to women rather than just the sisters being asked to read it. Do you believe in the royal priesthood of believers (men and women) described in 1 Peter 2:5,9?
Damien the Leper Posted April 5, 2020 Posted April 5, 2020 2 hours ago, The Nehor said: U mad bro? Not at all, bud.
Damien the Leper Posted April 5, 2020 Posted April 5, 2020 5 hours ago, SteveO said: You know, sometimes I wish you guys would stop and do a little self reflection before you post...about how you possibly come across to people who aren’t completely blinded by their disdain and contempt for the church. Unreal. My post was not meant to express disdain or contempt for the church. The church will do what the church wants to do. I'm simply saying that IF women were granted full priesthood that there will be no big reaction from the hardliners who say that women will never hold the priesthood. There won't be a 1984-like split that we saw with the RLDS. 1
Rain Posted April 5, 2020 Posted April 5, 2020 2 hours ago, telnetd said: Do you believe in the royal priesthood of believers (men and women) described in 1 Peter 2:5,9? What does this have to do with what I said?
Stargazer Posted April 5, 2020 Posted April 5, 2020 On 4/4/2020 at 8:50 PM, The Nehor said: Yep. Perhap he meant his "not" as a response to your "intended or not" as an indication that it wasn't so intended.
JamesBYoung Posted April 5, 2020 Posted April 5, 2020 (edited) SteveO said: You know, sometimes I wish you guys would stop and do a little self reflection before you post...about how you possibly come across to people who aren’t completely blinded by their disdain and contempt for the church. Unreal. Valentinus said: My post was not meant to express disdain or contempt for the church. The church will do what the church wants to do. I'm simply saying that IF women were granted full priesthood that there will be no big reaction from the hardliners who say that women will never hold the priesthood. There won't be a 1984-like split that we saw with the RLDS. JamesBYoung: I don't see any disdain or contempt by Valentinus for the Church. I remember a brother ranting about the Church was upheld by the principles of the John Birch Society. That was not true, of course. If women receive the Priesthood, some of the members of the church will be unhappy, but who cares. We know they won't leave the Church, for it holds the Priesthood and Authority of God. Edited April 5, 2020 by JamesBYoung
HappyJackWagon Posted April 7, 2020 Posted April 7, 2020 There was a lot of build up... and then... a symbol. "Study up about the priesthood" because... just kidding. New symbol. A lot of people were super excited about the implications of asking sisters to study about the priesthood. And then even more excited when the Solemn Assembly was scheduled. Feels like a bit of a bait and switch to me. I'm not bitter or hostile. I'm really just more disappointed than anything. With everything going on in the world today, with the HUGE amount of build up to this conference, this all seemed like kind of a dud. I mean, there's a pandemic out there but have no fear, we've got a new logo. But on the issue of pandemic, don't worry, we'll do another fast. I guess the last one didn't work? With a couple of exceptions Conference felt very empty. 2
rongo Posted April 7, 2020 Posted April 7, 2020 48 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said: There was a lot of build up... and then... a symbol. "Study up about the priesthood" because... just kidding. New symbol. A lot of people were super excited about the implications of asking sisters to study about the priesthood. And then even more excited when the Solemn Assembly was scheduled. Feels like a bit of a bait and switch to me. I'm not bitter or hostile. I'm really just more disappointed than anything. With everything going on in the world today, with the HUGE amount of build up to this conference, this all seemed like kind of a dud. I mean, there's a pandemic out there but have no fear, we've got a new logo. But on the issue of pandemic, don't worry, we'll do another fast. I guess the last one didn't work? With a couple of exceptions Conference felt very empty. I think those looking for women to be given priesthood office are beating their heads against the wall. I think the boxing in lines have been drawn pretty vividly: women operate with priesthood authority in the Church and in their callings, but do not hold priesthood offices and perform priesthood ordinances (other than in a very limited sense in the temple, with other women). Office and ordinances are what those who are perpetually disappointed mean by "women and the priesthood." 2
bluebell Posted April 7, 2020 Posted April 7, 2020 1 hour ago, HappyJackWagon said: There was a lot of build up... and then... a symbol. "Study up about the priesthood" because... just kidding. New symbol. A lot of people were super excited about the implications of asking sisters to study about the priesthood. And then even more excited when the Solemn Assembly was scheduled. Feels like a bit of a bait and switch to me. I'm not bitter or hostile. I'm really just more disappointed than anything. With everything going on in the world today, with the HUGE amount of build up to this conference, this all seemed like kind of a dud. I mean, there's a pandemic out there but have no fear, we've got a new logo. But on the issue of pandemic, don't worry, we'll do another fast. I guess the last one didn't work? With a couple of exceptions Conference felt very empty. I'm honestly asking and not being judgmental, but did you prepare for the coming of conference by doing everything that the prophet asked? I didn't. I prepared some, but not like some people (some people put their whole heart and soul into preparing for it and following the guidance of Pres. Nelson), and I know that where things seemed empty to me but were filled to overflowing for them, it was the consequence of me not being as spiritually prepared to receive as they were. God gave me what He could, but I know it wasn't as much as He was offering. That falls solidly on me. Do you think that could be part of the reason that conference felt empty to you? I have a wonderful friend who was very let down by the lack of changes regarding women and the priesthood. I personally did not make any connection between being asked to study those sections in the D&C and the idea of being given more priesthood responsibility (and I actually did manage to study two of those sections) so wasn't let down or disappointed at all. It probably is true what they say in that managing expectations is a huge part of finding joy in the journey. If we are expecting something that God isn't planning to give, then we will be sad we didn't get what was never on the table being offered. I personally find it hard to be willing to receive what is offered instead of putting in my order to God of what I expect to receive. It's often a struggle for me. I guess that's why it's so important, in this gospel, to work on God's will becoming my will. I really do think that it's one of the requirements for being able to have real joy in this life. 4
JAHS Posted April 7, 2020 Posted April 7, 2020 1 hour ago, HappyJackWagon said: There was a lot of build up... and then... a symbol. "Study up about the priesthood" because... just kidding. New symbol. A lot of people were super excited about the implications of asking sisters to study about the priesthood. And then even more excited when the Solemn Assembly was scheduled. Feels like a bit of a bait and switch to me. I'm not bitter or hostile. I'm really just more disappointed than anything. With everything going on in the world today, with the HUGE amount of build up to this conference, this all seemed like kind of a dud. I mean, there's a pandemic out there but have no fear, we've got a new logo. But on the issue of pandemic, don't worry, we'll do another fast. I guess the last one didn't work? With a couple of exceptions Conference felt very empty. It felt empty because there was no audience there to laugh at the speakers jokes. I was not really expecting anything earthshaking. I assumed that the solemn assembly was just to emphasize the significance of the 200th anniversary of the first vision. I never suspected for a moment that it would have anything to do with giving women the priesthood, because I know how unlikely that would be. Blame the emptiness on the adjustments because of the pandemic issue and over-expectation.
Bernard Gui Posted April 7, 2020 Posted April 7, 2020 (edited) 2 hours ago, HappyJackWagon said: There was a lot of build up... and then... a symbol. "Study up about the priesthood" because... just kidding. New symbol. A lot of people were super excited about the implications of asking sisters to study about the priesthood. And then even more excited when the Solemn Assembly was scheduled. Feels like a bit of a bait and switch to me. I'm not bitter or hostile. I'm really just more disappointed than anything. With everything going on in the world today, with the HUGE amount of build up to this conference, this all seemed like kind of a dud. I mean, there's a pandemic out there but have no fear, we've got a new logo. But on the issue of pandemic, don't worry, we'll do another fast. I guess the last one didn't work? With a couple of exceptions Conference felt very empty. Reminds me of the first time I heard a Mahler symphony. I thought, "What's all the fuss?" Now, they are among the most meaningful of all the music that I love. To a person, every adult in the Gui family and many of their children who attended Conference felt great spiritual power, peace from the Spirit, a witness of the prophetic callings, and increased gratitude to the Savior. Expecting the whirlwind and hurricane, the quaking of the earth, the roar of the surf, thunder and lightning.....there's something to be said for the still small voice, I think. Different strokes? Edited April 7, 2020 by Bernard Gui 3
HappyJackWagon Posted April 7, 2020 Posted April 7, 2020 1 hour ago, rongo said: I think those looking for women to be given priesthood office are beating their heads against the wall. I think the boxing in lines have been drawn pretty vividly: women operate with priesthood authority in the Church and in their callings, but do not hold priesthood offices and perform priesthood ordinances (other than in a very limited sense in the temple, with other women). Office and ordinances are what those who are perpetually disappointed mean by "women and the priesthood." I agree with that. I didn't really have any expectation leaders would make a significant change on this kind of thing. But still, asking women to study specifically about the priesthood. Those are 2 unique elements: women and priesthood. Even without granting women a priesthood office there could have been other changes made. For example, women could be allowed to perform duties that had previously been held only for those holding priesthood office. Things like, serve as Sunday School President or mission leader, or preparing and passing the sacrament etc. If "women" studied D&C about priesthood they would see that there is no scriptural reason for the prohibitions on women performing those duties. Again, what's the point of all of this?
JamesBYoung Posted April 7, 2020 Posted April 7, 2020 Women continue to need to pray about the priesthood. We need to continue to pray for the Brethren. They will get it right in time.
Bernard Gui Posted April 7, 2020 Posted April 7, 2020 (edited) 4 minutes ago, JamesBYoung said: Women continue to need to pray about the priesthood. We need to continue to pray for the Brethren. They will get it right in time. They have it wrong now? Edited April 7, 2020 by Bernard Gui 2
Vanguard Posted April 7, 2020 Posted April 7, 2020 4 hours ago, HappyJackWagon said: There was a lot of build up... and then... a symbol. "Study up about the priesthood" because... just kidding. New symbol. A lot of people were super excited about the implications of asking sisters to study about the priesthood. And then even more excited when the Solemn Assembly was scheduled. Feels like a bit of a bait and switch to me. I'm not bitter or hostile. I'm really just more disappointed than anything. With everything going on in the world today, with the HUGE amount of build up to this conference, this all seemed like kind of a dud. I mean, there's a pandemic out there but have no fear, we've got a new logo. But on the issue of pandemic, don't worry, we'll do another fast. I guess the last one didn't work? With a couple of exceptions Conference felt very empty. 2 hours ago, Bernard Gui said: Reminds me of the first time I heard a Mahler symphony. I thought, "What's all the fuss?" Now, they are among the most meaningful of all the music that I love. To a person, every adult in the Gui family and many of their children who attended Conference felt great spiritual power, peace from the Spirit, a witness of the prophetic callings, and increased gratitude to the Savior. Expecting the whirlwind and hurricane, the quaking of the earth, the roar of the surf, thunder and lightning.....there's something to be said for the still small voice, I think. Different strokes? I found the conference to be pretty much as any other conference (satisfying) excepting the presentation of the new proclamation. This 'jazzed' it up quite a bit though I do understand HJW's sentiments. There was a great build-up for this conference and the buzz was that this one would be one for the ages. It definitely was not. My wife had even speculated (after having read about another 'last days' timeline speculation) that we would clearly be moving into the final stages as we approximate the 2nd Coming. For her and for me it wasn't even a blip on the radar. Don't misunderstand though - I did not believe all the hype. I aporoached this time as I do all others. Interestingly and aside from the proclamation, I found the most inspiring part to be the final musical arrangement where the many choirs were combined. Of course, that may be because Sao Paulo Brasil was represented - you know, God's country. ; )
Recommended Posts