Jump to content

Working on Sundays


Recommended Posts

My chosen career requires working on Sundays until retirement (24/7 operation in the transportation industry). I have a potential job opportunity coming up that would be a huge blessing financially. I would be able to support my family with just me working as it pays extremely well, better than any job I’ve seen that’s not a doctor or a lawyer. In fact, it pays just as well as some doctors at the top of the pay scale. I’m not money hungry, I just have not found any other job that would allow my wife to stay at home with the baby (and future children). 

At my current company I have the seniority where I don’t have to work weekends ever again. However, I don’t come close to supporting my family on my pitiful income. At the big companies in the industry, and the only companies at which I would make a living wage in my profession, everyone rotates every other weekend for life. 

Has anyone had any experience with working Sundays? Do you think it is inherently wrong? Do you think God has any leeway in the Sabbath day principle? Could I dedicate one of my days off as my personal Sabbath day on the weeks I can’t make it to church with my family?

just interested in your guys’ thoughts. Thanks I’m advance.

 

Link to comment
6 minutes ago, 10THAmendment said:

My chosen career requires working on Sundays until retirement (24/7 operation in the transportation industry). I have a potential job opportunity coming up that would be a huge blessing financially. I would be able to support my family with just me working as it pays extremely well, better than any job I’ve seen that’s not a doctor or a lawyer. In fact, it pays just as well as some doctors at the top of the pay scale. I’m not money hungry, I just have not found any other job that would allow my wife to stay at home with the baby (and future children). 

At my current company I have the seniority where I don’t have to work weekends ever again. However, I don’t come close to supporting my family on my pitiful income. At the big companies in the industry, and the only companies at which I would make a living wage in my profession, everyone rotates every other weekend for life. 

Has anyone had any experience with working Sundays? Do you think it is inherently wrong? Do you think God has any leeway in the Sabbath day principle? Could I dedicate one of my days off as my personal Sabbath day on the weeks I can’t make it to church with my family?

just interested in your guys’ thoughts. Thanks I’m advance.

 

Technically, the Sabbath is on Saturday, or so I've read. So I definitely think you could worship on another day, and even everyday, you could in your own way. I believe some people will go to church and call it a day. But what do you really get out of that basically compared to the benefits of having your wife stay home with your children etc. I think the Lord would want you to get the ox out of the mire. 

Link to comment
15 minutes ago, 10THAmendment said:

My chosen career requires working on Sundays until retirement (24/7 operation in the transportation industry). I have a potential job opportunity coming up that would be a huge blessing financially. I would be able to support my family with just me working as it pays extremely well, better than any job I’ve seen that’s not a doctor or a lawyer. In fact, it pays just as well as some doctors at the top of the pay scale. I’m not money hungry, I just have not found any other job that would allow my wife to stay at home with the baby (and future children). 

At my current company I have the seniority where I don’t have to work weekends ever again. However, I don’t come close to supporting my family on my pitiful income. At the big companies in the industry, and the only companies at which I would make a living wage in my profession, everyone rotates every other weekend for life. 

Has anyone had any experience with working Sundays? Do you think it is inherently wrong? Do you think God has any leeway in the Sabbath day principle? Could I dedicate one of my days off as my personal Sabbath day on the weeks I can’t make it to church with my family?

just interested in your guys’ thoughts. Thanks I’m advance.

 

Doctors don't make what they used to, unless your something like a surgeon.  Also, the cost of school, continuing education and the ever increasing costs of malpractice insurance add up.  Mom works at a providers office, they work the doctors like slaves.  They make more than the nurses but not much, especially when you consider the costs the doctors have to pay.  Lawyers are struggling too, even Harvard grads are having issues getting jobs with good firms.  Just saying...

Link to comment

I have had to work on the Sabbath many times too.  It never sits well with me.

I don't think it's "inherently wrong" but I do think blessings are lost.  As for alternatives, I  am reminded of the commandment concerning baptism for the dead.  You can use the river until you are able to build the temple font.  But you need to be building.

In my life I've made it clear to the Lord that I don't want to work on the Sabbath and it won't ever be my choice.  So he has blessed me with opportunity to keep Sabbath work limited.  God honors our righteous requests.

Link to comment
28 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Technically, the Sabbath is on Saturday, or so I've read. So I definitely think you could worship on another day, and even everyday, you could in your own way. I believe some people will go to church and call it a day. But what do you really get out of that basically compared to the benefits of having your wife stay home with your children etc. I think the Lord would want you to get the ox out of the mire. 

That is a very good point, hadn’t thought of that. 

Link to comment
27 minutes ago, 10THAmendment said:

That is a very good point, hadn’t thought of that. 

When my Dad got too ill to attend church, he made sure he read church books that day (or articles by the leaders) and he watched a lot on BYU tv.  He made it different from other days and still holy.

You could listen to conference talks or other material put out by the church on Sunday as you’re traveling or working.  One can feel the spirit strongly in their truck just as they can feel it sitting in the pews!

Also, maybe try to read the lesson material for the weeks you miss so you can discuss it with your wife who is present for the lessons.

The main thing you’d miss is taking the sacrament each Sunday, but you’d take it on the Sundays that you attended.  Just be valiant about attending on the Sundays you’re home. 👍

Edited by JulieM
Link to comment

Hong Kong Saints have the LDS Sabbath every day of the week due to the haphazard work schedules of so many LDS workers there -- especially those Saints from Indonesia, the Philippines, etc., who work as maids, food prep, child-care, etc.  They must work Sundays, and have scattered off-days.  I believe the HK Temple likewise operates 24/7.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hong Kong has over 25,000 LDS members.

Link to comment

Some jobs do require 7 days/week work -- like hospitals, emergency services, and transportation.  That's just the nature of life.  If a person is in such a field, then some Sundays will need to be worked-- maybe you could minimize some, but somebody has to work.   And I don't find such to be inherently bad, though it does obviously mean that you'll be missing the benefit of the traditional community day of worship.  In such cases, set apart another day for your day of rest: having scheduling spiritual enrichment activity, worshiping, resting, and being with family.  A person still needs that day of rest.

Link to comment

 I believe it was the deceased Steve Christiansen that said that if you are obeying all the commandments...church is unnecessary.  I liked that about him.  There are many ways to observe a Sabbath... there is reverence in thoughtful family and individual prayers...God is not a church.  God understands and cares..family really is first and that is what employment is sometimes. 

There is a music and a touch of nature that can provide spirituality combined with what you study and/or deem to acquire by the nature of God.

Edited by Jeanne
Link to comment
32 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

 I believe it was the deceased Steve Christiansen that said that if you are obeying all the commandments...church is unnecessary.  I liked that about him.  There are many ways to observe a Sabbath... there is reverence in thoughtful family and individual prayers...God is not a church.  God understands and cares..family really is first and that is what employment is sometimes. 

There is a music and a touch of nature that can provide spirituality combined with what you study and/or deem to acquire by the nature of God.

I realize your mileage varies, and that's fine.  I agree with most of what you say here except for the superfluousness of church.  In the three-plus years I worked on Sunday, rarely was I able to make it to church, and sometimes, when I did go, it wasn't to my own ward, so even when I went there was still something lacking.  I realize your mileage varies, but to an observant Latter-day Saint, covenants (such as those made/renewed by partaking of the sacrament) matter.  10thAmendment has to make his own decision.  As Bluebell pointed out, we cannot do that for him, and he should be looking Elsewhere than here (that is, to The Source) for guidance.  Can one do many worthwhile things outside church and still keep the Sabbath?  Yes.  Can one keep the Sabbath in one's heart, whether or not he is able to go to church?  Yes.  Can he renew his covenants?  Ay, there's (or at least, there might be) the rub! 

And from the point of view of an observant Latter-day Saint, whether one can keep all of the commandments without attending church is, at best, questionable.  If one believes in the basics, the Ten Commandments, one of those commandments is "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy."  Pretty tough for a covenant-bound Latter-day Saint to believe that "church is unnecessary" if one keeps all of the commandments when one of the commandments is to attend church.

Edited by Kenngo1969
Link to comment

10th....I have worked in Transportation my entire career...first as an Air Traffic Controller....and now as a Train Dispatcher for a Class One Carrier.  I have several thoughts on this subject.  First, as has been said...there are some jobs that are necessary to work on Sunday. We know that they are critical services for our country.  I suppose the argument can be made that "whatever" job we choose..it obviously is a choice, but that is an over simplification in my opinion.  I have had members...even a Bishop basically tell me that working on Sunday regardless of the nature of the job was not good, that the Lord expected me to exercise greater faith, that the Lord would provide a job for me that would not take me away on the Sunday.

From my experience in the Military...and the other jobs I mentioned....I can truly say that the Lord has blessed me and my family.  To be clear....there are significant sacrifices that are made by those who necessarily have to work on Sunday....but, there are ways to mitigate the "cons".   Obviously....we have all known those members who have never worked on Sundays...and who are on the front pew every Sunday....and it has not done anything more for them...than for those who have sacrificed...but who attend as they're able...and they're just as faithful and stalwart as any other member.     FYI...I wasn't able to attend church this morning because of a horrendous night and I was exhausted.

Socially speaking....I have had to sacrifice a LOT of fun activities both in the family and at Church.  That has been VERY difficult for me.  I have had to strictly protect my "sleep and rest" so I'm always on my "A"game.  So whether it's Thanksgiving or Christmas Eve...I'm in bed at 5:30pm without fail (I work nights now).

Bottom line...I work to serve and protect my community. I'm proud of the work I do.  I believe the Lord supports me and my family in that effort.  

Link to comment
4 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Technically, the Sabbath is on Saturday, or so I've read. 

Sorry, not since Christ.

Link to comment

If we find ourselves needing to work on the Sabbath I think we can do so and still maintain the spirit of Sabbath worship in our hearts. I had to do for several years while going to school, but then I was working in a hospital which absolutely must have people working there 24/7.
If it really does allow your wife to stay home and care for the baby it sounds like it would be a good choice in my opinion and hopefully you could still partake the sacrament on those every other days off when you are home on Sunday.  However, as others have said it is between you, your wife, and God.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Kenngo1969 said:

I realize your mileage varies, and that's fine.  I agree with most of what you say here except for the superfluousness of church.  In the three-plus years I worked on Sunday, rarely was I able to make it to church, and sometimes, when I did go, it wasn't to my own ward, so even when I went there was still something lacking.  I realize your mileage varies, but to an observant Latter-day Saint, covenants (such as those made/renewed by partaking of the sacrament) matter.  10thAmendment has to make his own decision.  As Bluebell pointed out, we cannot do that for him, and he should be looking Elsewhere than here (that is, to The Source) for guidance.  Can one do many worthwhile things outside church and still keep the Sabbath?  Yes.  Can one keep the Sabbath in one's heart, whether or not he is able to go to church?  Yes.  Can he renew his covenants?  Ay, there's (or at least, there might be) the rub! 

And from the point of view of an observant Latter-day Saint, whether one can keep all of the commandments without attending church is, at best, questionable.  If one believes in the basics, the Ten Commandments, one of those commandments is "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy."  Pretty tough for a covenant-bound Latter-day Saint to believe that "church is unnecessary" if one keeps all of the commandments when one of the commandments is to attend church.

I very much respect and understand parts of your views here.

Link to comment
44 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Sorry, not since Christ.

Unless you are LDS and live in Israel. :vader:

2 hours ago, Jeanne said:

 I believe it was the deceased Steve Christiansen that said that if you are obeying all the commandments...church is unnecessary.  I liked that about him.  There are many ways to observe a Sabbath... there is reverence in thoughtful family and individual prayers...God is not a church.  God understands and cares..family really is first and that is what employment is sometimes. 

There is a music and a touch of nature that can provide spirituality combined with what you study and/or deem to acquire by the nature of God.

If you were obeying all the commandments you would not need Christ either (except for the resurrection bit) but I doubt anyone has reached that point and stated in fallen flesh on the Earth.

That being said I agree that you have to do the best you can with what you have. I think viewing church as unnecessary is unhealthy. Viewing it as something I cannot do right now so I will compensate as best I can makes more sense and is healthy.

1 hour ago, randy said:

10th....I have worked in Transportation my entire career...first as an Air Traffic Controller....and now as a Train Dispatcher for a Class One Carrier.  I have several thoughts on this subject.  First, as has been said...there are some jobs that are necessary to work on Sunday. We know that they are critical services for our country.  I suppose the argument can be made that "whatever" job we choose..it obviously is a choice, but that is an over simplification in my opinion.  I have had members...even a Bishop basically tell me that working on Sunday regardless of the nature of the job was not good, that the Lord expected me to exercise greater faith, that the Lord would provide a job for me that would not take me away on the Sunday.

From my experience in the Military...and the other jobs I mentioned....I can truly say that the Lord has blessed me and my family.  To be clear....there are significant sacrifices that are made by those who necessarily have to work on Sunday....but, there are ways to mitigate the "cons".   Obviously....we have all known those members who have never worked on Sundays...and who are on the front pew every Sunday....and it has not done anything more for them...than for those who have sacrificed...but who attend as they're able...and they're just as faithful and stalwart as any other member.     FYI...I wasn't able to attend church this morning because of a horrendous night and I was exhausted.

Socially speaking....I have had to sacrifice a LOT of fun activities both in the family and at Church.  That has been VERY difficult for me.  I have had to strictly protect my "sleep and rest" so I'm always on my "A"game.  So whether it's Thanksgiving or Christmas Eve...I'm in bed at 5:30pm without fail (I work nights now).

Bottom line...I work to serve and protect my community. I'm proud of the work I do.  I believe the Lord supports me and my family in that effort.  

This also sounds healthy.

I admit I did not attend church this morning. Due to a delayed flight I did not get home until 3 AM after a lot of stress of almost not making it home and got almost no sleep the night before that because I was winning a (non-money gambling) pok er game until 2 AM. I just could not force myself up for Bishopric meeting and all the rest due to sheer exhaustion. Sometimes it happens. Maybe there are those stronger then me who could pull it off well but I could not. I could physically have compelled myself but I would have been little help in my responsibilities and unlikely to get much spiritual nourishment from it.

I am also “violating” the Sabbath by doing pet and vacation laundry and cleaning the cage and room of my pet because it did not happen when I was gone. It is not ideal but while I intentionally put this ox in the mire I do not make a habit of it.

Link to comment

My husband has never "worked" on Sunday. At one time he was going to be required to do it or lose his job. We prayed over it and then he told his job that he would not work Sunday even if it meant he would lose it. He didn't get fired over it.

Over the years we have found he really really NEEDED to not work on Sunday. His anxiety was strong enough that he just needed to have a regular break. 

There have now been days that he has traveled for work on Sundays and he very much feels a difference even though he tries to keep it holy still. Fortunately it doesn't feel like he is working and isn't going through all the mental work when he travels so he can deal with it.

This isn't to say it will be the same for you or that you shouldn't take the new job.  It is just something to keep in mind as you consider things. It will matter for some people. It won't for others. We didn't know how big of a deal it would be for him so we are grateful for God's personal guidance to him. 

I think the bigger deal for me is that usually increased pay comes with increased responsibilities and time. Is that the case for this new job? Depending on how much of a change it is that could be an even bigger thing to me than working every other Sunday. 

How does your wife feel about it?

 

Link to comment
13 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Unless you are LDS and live in Israel. :vader:

There are times I wish I lived there. It didn't really matter to us while we were on vacation there, but if we lived there and DH was working m-f I would love it. 

Link to comment
39 minutes ago, Rain said:

My husband has never "worked" on Sunday. At one time he was going to be required to do it or lose his job. We prayed over it and then he told his job that he would not work Sunday even if it meant he would lose it. He didn't get fired over it.

So if he avoided working on Sunday did this mean he made someone else have to work on Sunday? I wish it were 60 years ago when almost nobody had to work on Sundays.

Link to comment
56 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Not according to the following link.

https://www.cgi.org/who-changed-the-sabbath-to-sunday

Unfortunately whoever wrote that is wrong.

Christians did not switch to Sunday because Constantine the PAGAN SUN WORSHIPPER started it in the 4th Century. Early Christians did keep the Jewish Sabbath on Saturday but many also venerated Sunday for being the day Christ rose from the dead. The Church Fathers recognized the change happening and did not disapprove and it appears to have been in progress in the Second Century. The Eucharist or Sacrament was often administered on both the first and seventh days.

Constantine did declare the first day off for craftsmen and urban dwellers and for farmers unless it was necessary to work due to weather but there is no indication this was done for any religious reason. I like this scripture:

5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

 

Link to comment

1)  There are often ways to trade out at least Sundays  --- Muslim, Seventh Day Adventists and Jews all might be willing to trade with you.   All companies have to give religious accommodations so you might be able to take your lunch hour during the time your sacrament meeting is.

2)   If you are in a hazardous area, maybe your family would be blessed if your spouse remained in the workplace in case something happens to you.

3)    Have you also looked into the comparative family friendly policies?

4)   What would happen if your family set aside a different day of the week to be your Sabbath.  If you could always get it off and you chose to use it to worship, you might be able to confirm that is okay with God?   How does your bishop feel about your being able to get the sacrament once a month outside of Sunday?

5)   It seems to me that you are trading one good for another good.   The scriptures say to study it out and seek confirmation.

6)   When I was in law enforcement and required to work on Sunday, I only listened to religious music in the car, I donated the entire amount I earned for the day to the humanitarian fund (I was single so that made it easier).  I read only religious material at lunch.   And I looked for ways to serve others in the course of my job.   All of those things helped preserve sabbath for what it is for.

7)  While money isn't everything (and you don't mention benefits or the value of your seniority or how that would work going forward ), but it can be important.

Link to comment
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...