Utah Jazz Player Jeremy Evans Draws The Slc Temple

BCSpace

As a personal effort the picture is just fine and commendable, BUT the second link that BC provided seems to indicate that the piece is now for sale. If true, then it is now eligible for critique. It is similar to when my daughter plays the piano for us at a family get-together. There should be no complaints and abundant praise for her efforts. However, if she plays for a concert or accompanies a singer and gets paid for it,then she opens herself to criticism and should expect it.

As a personal effort the picture is just fine and commendable, BUT the second link that BC provided seems to indicate that the piece is now for sale. If true, then it is now eligible for critique. It is similar to when my daughter plays the piano for us at a family get-together. There should be no complaints and abundant praise for her efforts. However, if she plays for a concert or accompanies a singer and gets paid for it,then she opens herself to criticism and should expect it.

Should we remove all Temple art from Deseret Book? ;)

From my personal perspective,there is a lot of ' stuff ' for sale at Deseret Book and other LDS bookstores that is in bad taste or at least leave a bad taste in my mouth from pre-emptive stiffling of upchucking. ( I exaggerate hyperbolically but I have a hard time with the commercialization of the sacred . ) Do we really need more gospel trinkets?

( rant off )

Quite correct. I stand convicted of leading this thread in a direction not intended by BC. Apologies all around.

No problem. Take it wherever you like. If someone doesn't like it, they can ignore it. I believe in free uncensored discussion, even in smaller topics like this one. Truth rises to the top much quicker that way. My threads are not so sacrosanct that I can't welcome all opinions or intense debate or criticism. I learn or derive enjoyment from all comments.

The only time I've ever asked for someone else to be censored is when I felt I was being censored in favor of that person.

:)

Very interesting work. I can't draw a straight line with a ruler, but the artist here could use a couple of lessons in perspective. :nea:

I noticed a few things... but as someone who has some difficulty with perspective when I draw, I noticed instead the level of detail and overall skill of his rendering and found much to admire... it's a lovely drawing. Majestic...

GG

Coming from an NBA player, it's a virtual Mona Lisa.

:pirate:

But seriously, I think it's great that he's got a hobby (everyone should have one) and I wonder what inspired him to do the temple instead of say, a view of the mountains or other cityscape?

It's a good picture and has a nice atmosphere to it. Seems respectfully done.

My concern is that on the instagram one I couldn't understand half the comments.

That's dope

Does that mean he liked it or didn't like it... oh dear, I'm now getting old. And a photo is both 'sick' and 'good' :nea:

If you don't like it don't buy it. If you do buy it. To me it is that simple. There is no need to find fault except as an excuse not to buy. My grand children do art in school and I don't feel the need to critique it. I just enjoy their offerings. Would I spend large sums for it? No but some of it does hang on my refrigerator.

From my personal perspective,there is a lot of ' stuff ' for sale at Deseret Book and other LDS bookstores that is in bad taste or at least leave a bad taste in my mouth from pre-emptive stiffling of upchucking. ( I exaggerate hyperbolically but I have a hard time with the commercialization of the sacred . ) Do we really need more gospel trinkets?

( rant off )

Perhaps not, but my point is that it's no worse for Mr. Evans to profit off of his work (sacredness of the subject notwithstanding) than it is for anyone else (the vast majority of whom are Church members) to do so. :)

I noticed a few things... but as someone who has some difficulty with perspective when I draw, I noticed instead the level of detail and overall skill of his rendering and found much to admire... it's a lovely drawing. Majestic...

GG

Ditto, that! ;):)

"He's an amazing artist," Jazz guard Earl Watson said. "I think that a lot of people don't realize how great he really is, how talented he is off the court as well."

Thanks to Evans' teammate and friend, more people are aware of that now.

Earlier this week, Watson posted a picture of a detailed ink drawing of the Salt Lake Temple that Evans created last summer.

The impressive art — currently showing on Twitter (@Earl_Watson) and Instagram (therealwyco) — was an Internet hit in the Jazz community.

"Before that, nobody knew about it," Evans admitted.

The artistic Evans said it was interesting and tough to draw the 119-year-old edifice of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, with all of its arched windows and familiar spires.

"I didn't want to mess up. It's their temple," said Evans, who's drawn the Utah landmark multiple times. "I had fun doing it. After I got done, I was proud of it."

Now, to answer two questions the artistic athlete knows you might have after he drew a world-renowned building that's awed onlookers since its 40-year-long construction concluded in 1893.

"A lot of people ask me if I'm LDS," he said, without being asked about his religious beliefs. "But I'm not."

So what inspired him to draw it?

"I just figured when people want something that's what you do," Evans said. "I figure there's a lot of LDS in Salt Lake, so why not draw the temple to, I guess, draw their attention, show what they want?"

Evans, whose non-hoops hobbies also include playing the guitar and carving, plans on drawing more LDS temples. As it is, his art collection includes a cherished painting of a lion, an airbrushed Tupac piece and a pastel of Michael Jordan — not to overlook a Jerry Sloan portrait he gave the retired coach.

"I have a good variety," he said. "It's hard to part with sometimes."

Evans has considered making prints of his LDS temples to sell. He intends to branch out with his art to include T-shirts, shoes and hats as his canvas. He even picked up a hat on this trip that he plans on drawing on. He also likes drawing landscapes and his home. The Western Kentucky product said he takes anywhere between about an hour (like for this temple piece) and two days to work on his art.

Most bizarre thing he's drawn?

"I stay away from the weird stuff," he said.

Watson has been thoroughly impressed with Evans' non-weird stuff.

"I think that's a great picture. It's rare for an NBA player to be able to have that ability," Watson said. "I think it's something that he should seriously start doing more in his off time, and just grow as an individual on and off the court."

Watson joked that he posted Evans' drawing because, well, people wouldn't want to see his attempts at art.

"I try to draw something, too, but mine tend to look the same as my 3-year-old daughter's," Watson said. "Hers is a little bit better, so I decided to not tweet (mine) out. I'm not as good as Jeremy. I am his art agent."

Evans has been on the receiving end of multiple eye-popping alley-oop passes from Watson over the years, and he's happy to get this kind of assist.

"Maybe I'll let Earl tweet out the rest of them," he said, smiling. "I've got some pretty good ones."

That goes for his dunks and drawings.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865567722/Utah-Jazz-Dunk-champ-or-drawing-champ-Salt-Lake-Temple-gets-Jeremy-Evans-treatment.html

Not A-leted, not B-leted, not C-leted, but DE-LETETED! ;)

No we should remove all bad art. So 90-95% of it for an off the cuff conservative estimate?

Only if *I* get to be the one that decides what is 'bad art' and what is not.

And of course, this wouldn't be a case of "Those who can, do, those who can't critique those who do," would it? ;)

(It's amazing how vastly the art critics outnumber the artists in the world! ;)

)

I looked at it and enjoyed a work well done instead of trying to find fault with it.

Agreed...people are too quick to point out flaws. I think the point of the thread is the player was inspired by the beauty of the building. I come from a big city...from pictures I used to think the Temple was much larger than it appear when I saw it the first time. But I love that place, especially after seeing "Mountain of the Lord", which I think is the best movie the Church ever produced. Also it is a building that inspires some to greater faith and others to hate us...

Archived