Seriously No Politics ×

Thoughts on conference

4 minutes ago, Duncan said:

That's not how it's set up here, the YM Presidency did everything, there were no advisors-I learn what I live

We have advisors and all that jazz and it was confusing to me too!  I think Nehor’s little grumpy. 😏

6 minutes ago, bluebell said:

We have advisors and all that jazz and it was confusing to me too!  I think Nehor’s little grumpy. 😏

it sounded like when they dissolved the ward activities committee but wanted activities for the ward but now you had to form a committee from the different auxillaries, and you're like sooooooooooooooo what's the difference?!

We had a sister missionary here last year from Papua New Guinea, she told us that her and her family walked to Church for two hours there and back, I don't know how they felt about the new 2 hour church but wow,4 hours of walking??? put us to shame for sure!

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:
1 hour ago, Bernard Gui said:

Such as anointing and sealing healing blessings. 

I wonder if this will open the door to women giving blessings of healing.

I was done in the past:

In a meeting with the Nauvoo Relief Society on April 28, 1842, the meeting's minutes record the prophet Joseph Smith's instruction to women regarding the priesthood and giving healing blessings: "Respecting the female laying on hands, he further remark'd, there could be no devil in it if God gave his sanction by healing—that there could be no more sin in any female laying hands on the sick than in wetting the face with water—that it is no sin for any body to do it that has faith, or if the sick has faith to be heal'd by the administration" (The First Fifty Years of the Relief Society, 55).

In the early days of the Church, many Relief Society sisters saw these blessings as an extension of their call to serve and minister to the sick and afflicted. These early Saints understood the gift of healing "primarily in terms of the New Testament’s teaching that it was one of the gifts of the Spirit available to believers through faith" ("Joseph Smith’s Teachings about Priesthood, Temple, and Women").

The blessings they gave were by the power of their faith and not the priesthood.

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

I do not believe a formal Priesthood blessing is needed to exercise the spiritual gift to heal in any case.

Prieshood isn't required for healing, no. Though, it is a good exercise to understand how/why the priesthood can be used in association with healing.

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

We had a sister missionary here last year from Papua New Guinea, she told us that her and her family walked to Church for two hours there and back, I don't know how they felt about the new 2 hour church but wow,4 hours of walking??? put us to shame for sure!

There is a good chance they have a church gettogether afterwards from many examples I have heard of wards with long distances or efforts (walking, bus)

38 minutes ago, Nofear said:

Prieshood isn't required for healing, no. Though, it is a good exercise to understand how/why the priesthood can be used in association with healing.

But it is still required to anoint with oil and seal the anointing. 

Edited by Bernard Gui

Looks like Trek has been canonized?

Edited by Bernard Gui
2 hours ago, Calm said:

The new Young Women theme is listed below in its entirety:

I am a beloved daughter of heavenly parents, with a divine nature and eternal destiny.

As a disciple of Jesus Christ, I strive to become like Him. I seek and act upon personal revelation and minister to others in His holy name.

I will stand as a witness of God at all times and in all things and in all places. 

As I strive to qualify for exaltation, I cherish the gift of repentance and seek to improve each day. With faith, I will strengthen my home and family, make and keep sacred covenants, and receive the ordinances and blessings of the holy temple.

“Notice the shift from ‘we’ to ‘I,’” Sister Cordon said. “These truths apply to you individually. You are a beloved daughter of Heavenly Parents. You are a covenant disciple of our Savior, Jesus Christ. I invite you to study and ponder these words. I know as you do, you will gain a testimony of their truthfulness. Understanding these truths will change the way you face challenges. Knowing your identity and purpose will help you align your will with the Savior’s.”

From the Newsroom link

I love the new theme and especially love that they changed it to a daughter of heavenly parents!

49 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

But it is still required to anoint with oil and seal the anointing. 

From what I've read of 1800s, it was common to keep some consecrated oil around, which women would rub on the site of illness or injury.   I think Mary Fielding Smith even used some on her ox once while traveling west.

9 minutes ago, Traela said:

From what I've read of 1800s, it was common to keep some consecrated oil around, which women would rub on the site of illness or injury.   I think Mary Fielding Smith even used some on her ox once while traveling west.

There have been instructions not to use it in that way. 

Did Elder Bednar make a pun? Did anyone catch it? Sister Gui got it 

Edited by Bernard Gui
3 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I wonder if this will open the door to women giving blessings of healing.

They need to bring back Mother's blessings.

11 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

They need to bring back Mother's blessings.

What’s to prevent a mother from giving a blessing to her child?

2 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

What’s to prevent a mother from giving a blessing to her child?

Nothing.  But that's not what a Mother's Blessing refers to.