Popular Post Fair Dinkum Posted May 7, 2020 Popular Post Posted May 7, 2020 (edited) As a member of the bishopric I was assigned the task of promoting our ward Lagoon Day, making assignments to ward auxiliaries and sitting in on the planning of a ward picnic. As a member serving in a leadership position and unbeknownst to ward members, I was also given a Parking Pass that would allow my family to forego the $10 parking fee other ward members would have to pay to park. I guess it was the one monetary perk of being in the bishopric. Despite this, I didn't feel comfortable accepting it and so I gave it away to one of our more deserving ward family members. The thought of being given a free parking pass that other members of the ward did not receive made me feel uneasy. And promoting a business like Lagoon, which profited greatly from our annual Stake Lagoon Day also left me somewhat conflicted. I don't think I've been back to Lagoon since. So the other day I read about a new Real Estate project the corporate church has just rolled out. A complete planned community around the proposed Tooele Valley Temple, complete with pickle ball courts, lots of open space and manicured gardens and grounds. While I can't explain exactly why, that same feeling of exploitation that I felt over the Lagoon tickets has returned. The thought of the church profiting from its temple construction turns my stomach and disgusts me. While I recognize the need to invest excess tithing funds responsibly to support the mission of the church, so called investments like the mall and both commercial and now these new residential real estate ventures leave me with a ache in the pit of my stomach. https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/05/05/lds-church-proposes-new/ Edited May 8, 2020 by Nemesis Remember this is an LDS board for LDS posters, you are a guest here so follow the board guidelines. 5
Calm Posted May 7, 2020 Posted May 7, 2020 (edited) I have never been in a ward where a ward activity cost money outside of the gas to get there and food if bringing your own. I am rather surprised that your stake did this. Edited May 7, 2020 by Calm 1
Popular Post Scott Lloyd Posted May 7, 2020 Popular Post Posted May 7, 2020 (edited) 5 hours ago, Fair Dinkum said: As a member of the bishopric I was assigned the task of promoting our ward Lagoon Day, making assignments to ward auxiliaries and sitting in on the planning of a ward picnic. As a member serving in a leadership position and unbeknownst to ward members, I was also given a Parking Pass that would allow my family to forego the $10 parking fee other ward members would have to pay to park. I guess it was the one monetary perk of being in the bishopric. Despite this, I didn't feel comfortable accepting it and so I gave it away to one of our more deserving ward family members. The thought of being given a free parking pass that other members of the ward did not receive made me feel uneasy. And promoting a business like Lagoon, which profited greatly from our annual Stake Lagoon Day also left me somewhat conflicted. I don't think I've been back to Lagoon since. So the other day I read about a new Real Estate project the corporate church has just rolled out. A complete planned community around the proposed Tooele Valley Temple, complete with pickle ball courts, lots of open space and manicured gardens and grounds. While I can't explain exactly why, that same feeling of exploitation that I felt over the Lagoon tickets has returned. The thought of the church profiting from its temple construction turns my stomach and disgusts me. While I recognize the need to invest excess tithing funds responsibly to support the mission of the church, so called investments like the mall and both commercial and now these new residential real estate ventures leave me with a ache in the pit of my stomach. https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/05/05/lds-church-proposes-new/ I’m guessing you are not impressed with the point occasionally made about taking steps to safeguard and preserve the quality of the environs around the Church’s sacred spaces. People of your mindset typically aren’t. By the way, not only do I find your thread title lacking in originality, but it strikes me as offensive. Just so you know. Edit: The thread title has since been changed. Edited May 8, 2020 by Scott Lloyd 7
Scott Lloyd Posted May 7, 2020 Posted May 7, 2020 (edited) 8 minutes ago, Calm said: I have never been in a ward where a ward activity cost money outside of the gas to get there and food if bringing your own. My past experience with stake-connected Lagoon Days is that they were regarded as strictly optional. There was not even the implied expectation that one attend to support the leadership, as there might be with typical local ward or stake activities. In fact, I think our stake discontinued them many years ago for lack of interest. Edited May 7, 2020 by Scott Lloyd
Fair Dinkum Posted May 7, 2020 Author Posted May 7, 2020 6 minutes ago, Calm said: I have never been in a ward where a ward activity cost money outside of the gas to get there and food if bringing your own. Lagoon would provide discount entry passes and ride tickets for all members of our stake. But every car was required to pay for parking.
Fair Dinkum Posted May 7, 2020 Author Posted May 7, 2020 2 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said: My past experience with stake-connected Lagoon Days is that they were regarded as strictly optional. There was not even the implied expectation that one attend to support the leadership, as there might be with local ward or stake activities. In fact, I think our stale discontinued them many years ago for lack of interest. Bro Loyd, I can't speak to your experience. But Lagoon did provide the discount passes which we were instructed to have the (back then) home teachers pass out to their families. It greatly increase our HT numbers. We also made promotional announcements in sacrament meeting and planned ward picnic gathering for our ward members to attend if they so chose. All was of course completely voluntary but was always well attended.
Calm Posted May 7, 2020 Posted May 7, 2020 18 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said: My past experience with stake-connected Lagoon Days is that they were regarded as strictly optional. There was not even the implied expectation that one attend to support the leadership, as there might be with typical local ward or stake activities. In fact, I think our stake discontinued them many years ago for lack of interest. I can see where it would be fun to go with others you know and teens being able to hang out with others in the stake sounds like a great idea as long as it was something very optional and wasn’t promoted as something to increase ward bonds, but just having fun with friends. 2
Duncan Posted May 7, 2020 Posted May 7, 2020 26 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said: I’m guessing you are not impressed with the point occasionally made about taking steps to safeguard and preserve the quality of the environs around the Church’s sacred spaces. People of your mindset typically aren’t. By the way, not only do I find your thread title lacking in originality, but it strikes me as offensive. Just so you know. Our Temple here is across the street from the Liquor Mart and the Church bought the whole plot of land but apparently sold a strip of it that could be used for whatever purpose, it baffles some they would have sold that land. I don't know what came first the Liquor store or the Temple though! https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/winnipeg-manitoba-temple/photographs/#Construction-163
CV75 Posted May 7, 2020 Posted May 7, 2020 (edited) 55 minutes ago, Fair Dinkum said: As a member of the bishopric I was assigned the task of promoting our ward Lagoon Day, making assignments to ward auxiliaries and sitting in on the planning of a ward picnic. As a member serving in a leadership position and unbeknownst to ward members, I was also given a Parking Pass that would allow my family to forego the $10 parking fee other ward members would have to pay to park. I guess it was the one monetary perk of being in the bishopric. Despite this, I didn't feel comfortable accepting it and so I gave it away to one of our more deserving ward family members. The thought of being given a free parking pass that other members of the ward did not receive made me feel uneasy. And promoting a business like Lagoon, which profited greatly from our annual Stake Lagoon Day also left me somewhat conflicted. I don't think I've been back to Lagoon since. So the other day I read about a new Real Estate project the corporate church has just rolled out. A complete planned community around the proposed Tooele Valley Temple, complete with pickle ball courts, lots of open space and manicured gardens and grounds. While I can't explain exactly why, that same feeling of exploitation that I felt over the Lagoon tickets has returned. The thought of the church profiting from its temple construction turns my stomach and disgusts me. While I recognize the need to invest excess tithing funds responsibly to support the mission of the church, so called investments like the mall and both commercial and now these new residential real estate ventures leave me with a ache in the pit of my stomach. https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/05/05/lds-church-proposes-new/ I understand the sentiments you have toward a stake-sponsored amusement park day and accepting freebies for your calling, but I wouldn't conflate the decisions* of local unit leaders with the larger business dealings of the Church. * On the surface this looks like an ethical misstep, but I don't have all the details on the traditions and culture where you live. Edited May 7, 2020 by CV75 2
bluebell Posted May 7, 2020 Posted May 7, 2020 20 minutes ago, Calm said: I can see where it would be fun to go with others you know and teens being able to hang out with others in the stake sounds like a great idea as long as it was something very optional and wasn’t promoted as something to increase ward bonds, but just having fun with friends. Our stake does a stake swimming day every summer at some out door pool in a neighboring town, but as far as I know it’s free. It doesn’t surprise me that Lagoon would charge for parking at such an event, even those who pay for season passes still have to pay to park there each time they go.
Calm Posted May 7, 2020 Posted May 7, 2020 18 minutes ago, bluebell said: Our stake does a stake swimming day every summer at some out door pool in a neighboring town, but as far as I know it’s free. It doesn’t surprise me that Lagoon would charge for parking at such an event, even those who pay for season passes still have to pay to park there each time they go. We did ward and stake activities like this, but the ward/stake would pay for the rental fees. 1
Popular Post mfbukowski Posted May 7, 2020 Popular Post Posted May 7, 2020 1 hour ago, Fair Dinkum said: As a member of the bishopric I was assigned the task of promoting our ward Lagoon Day, making assignments to ward auxiliaries and sitting in on the planning of a ward picnic. As a member serving in a leadership position and unbeknownst to ward members, I was also given a Parking Pass that would allow my family to forego the $10 parking fee other ward members would have to pay to park. I guess it was the one monetary perk of being in the bishopric. Despite this, I didn't feel comfortable accepting it and so I gave it away to one of our more deserving ward family members. The thought of being given a free parking pass that other members of the ward did not receive made me feel uneasy. And promoting a business like Lagoon, which profited greatly from our annual Stake Lagoon Day also left me somewhat conflicted. I don't think I've been back to Lagoon since. So the other day I read about a new Real Estate project the corporate church has just rolled out. A complete planned community around the proposed Tooele Valley Temple, complete with pickle ball courts, lots of open space and manicured gardens and grounds. While I can't explain exactly why, that same feeling of exploitation that I felt over the Lagoon tickets has returned. The thought of the church profiting from its temple construction turns my stomach and disgusts me. While I recognize the need to invest excess tithing funds responsibly to support the mission of the church, so called investments like the mall and both commercial and now these new residential real estate ventures leave me with a ache in the pit of my stomach. https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/05/05/lds-church-proposes-new/ Have you tried Tums? Oh yeah it's much better if they just put all the money under their mattresses. I mean no one should really be a wise steward, right? That was for the old days. The church should make as little money as possible on their alleged Investments. Uh huh. Gosh almighty do we have to do this thread again ? 8
mfbukowski Posted May 7, 2020 Posted May 7, 2020 (edited) 32 minutes ago, CV75 said: I understand the sentiments you have toward a stake-sponsored amusement park day and accepting freebies for your calling, but I wouldn't conflate the decisions* of local unit leaders with the larger business dealings of the Church. * On the surface this looks like an ethical misstep, but I don't have all the details on the traditions and culture where you live. The Lagoon is an amusement park near Salt Lake City. I would presume that he lives in Utah Edited May 7, 2020 by mfbukowski 1
Popular Post Rain Posted May 7, 2020 Popular Post Posted May 7, 2020 Stake Lagoon Day is not stake sponsored even though individual stakes might promote it as such. Stake Lagoon Day is something Lagoon does. It looks at the stakes, assigns a day for each one and then provides the materials to the stake if they want to pass them out. Many stakes will take the fliers, but only hold onto them if someone asks for them and don't promote them in any way. I do think that in earlier years a lot more stakes did make something of it with the picnic etc (but only the picnic, not the ride portion). If I remember the picnic would usually be in the pioneer portion and there was no charge (other than parking) for that part. Obviously a lot of people would buy tickets for the rest of Lagoon since they were there. But I can't remember the last time I was in a stake that did that or knew of another stake that did. Maybe it happens more often than I knew about? And yes, it makes me uncomfortable as well so I have appreciated that all my stakes didn't promote it - at all. 5
rpn Posted May 8, 2020 Posted May 8, 2020 Are you familiar with Daybreak: Investors wanting to sell their land donated for a temple and made millions off of the temple placement. I thought at the time that if any profiting was to happen, it OUGHT to be the church investments where the money would ultimately go to God's ends. As for the Lagoon perk, you were absolutely right to give it to someone who wasn't in a position to personally gain by planning a trip to Lagoon. But there is a non-venal possibility for why you got the parking pass ---- maybe as the person in charge of the event, you needed to park as close as you could get and be able to come and go as you needed to --- both of which was facilitated by the parking pass. 2
let’s roll Posted May 8, 2020 Posted May 8, 2020 Mormon night at Dodger Stadium and Mormon Day at Disneyland are (were?) Southern California traditions. We’d regularly take non-member friends to the former and full time missionaries from SC missions went to the latter. 2
Kenngo1969 Posted May 8, 2020 Posted May 8, 2020 3 hours ago, Duncan said: .... I don't know what came first the Liquor store or the Temple though! Then, with all due respect, that may undercut your whole point.
Kenngo1969 Posted May 8, 2020 Posted May 8, 2020 44 minutes ago, rpn said: ... As for the Lagoon perk, you were absolutely right to give it to someone who wasn't in a position to personally gain by planning a trip to Lagoon. But there is a non-venal possibility for why you got the parking pass ---- maybe as the person in charge of the event, you needed to park as close as you could get and be able to come and go as you needed to --- both of which was facilitated by the parking pass. Oh, come now, rpn! That doesn't fit the Eeeeeeeeeee-vuhl church (aka LD$ Inc.) narrative! 1
Duncan Posted May 8, 2020 Posted May 8, 2020 1 minute ago, Kenngo1969 said: Then, with all due respect, that may undercut your whole point. my whole point is sometimes the Church is content in building the Temple and not really minding about the surrounding area i.e. liquor mart, however if the Church built it with the knowledge that a liquor mart was nearby or going to be nearby then they don't care or if they built it without the knowledge then I don't recall anyone making a stink about a liquor mart being put in, they didn't seem to fight it any. It was a total non issue and the parcel of land the Church owned and then sold so I say why sell it because you could get some weirdo business in there
Rajah Manchou Posted May 8, 2020 Posted May 8, 2020 23 minutes ago, Duncan said: my whole point is sometimes the Church is content in building the Temple and not really minding about the surrounding area i.e. liquor mart, however if the Church built it with the knowledge that a liquor mart was nearby or going to be nearby then they don't care or if they built it without the knowledge then I don't recall anyone making a stink about a liquor mart being put in, they didn't seem to fight it any. It was a total non issue and the parcel of land the Church owned and then sold so I say why sell it because you could get some weirdo business in there The temple going up in my hood is across the street from the Babylon Steakhouse and 300 meters from a 3 story brothel. It is a non-issue. 1
Tacenda Posted May 8, 2020 Posted May 8, 2020 I hate to break it to you...but hopefully you can learn to accept things like that happening, because it will most likely continue. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/massive-mormon-deseret-ranch-plan-orlando-florida/
mfbukowski Posted May 8, 2020 Posted May 8, 2020 2 hours ago, let’s roll said: Mormon night at Dodger Stadium and Mormon Day at Disneyland are (were?) Southern California traditions. We’d regularly take non-member friends to the former and full time missionaries from SC missions went to the latter. Our LA temple is on Santa Monica Blvd. I think it would shock them Utahns to know what other businesses are on SM Blvd. The gateway to West Hollywood. But hereabouts we don't assume that the church can control who their neighbors are. 1
JAHS Posted May 8, 2020 Posted May 8, 2020 6 hours ago, Fair Dinkum said: As a member of the bishopric I was assigned the task of promoting our ward Lagoon Day, making assignments to ward auxiliaries and sitting in on the planning of a ward picnic. As a member serving in a leadership position and unbeknownst to ward members, I was also given a Parking Pass that would allow my family to forego the $10 parking fee other ward members would have to pay to park. I guess it was the one monetary perk of being in the bishopric. Despite this, I didn't feel comfortable accepting it and so I gave it away to one of our more deserving ward family members. The thought of being given a free parking pass that other members of the ward did not receive made me feel uneasy. And promoting a business like Lagoon, which profited greatly from our annual Stake Lagoon Day also left me somewhat conflicted. I don't think I've been back to Lagoon since. So the other day I read about a new Real Estate project the corporate church has just rolled out. A complete planned community around the proposed Tooele Valley Temple, complete with pickle ball courts, lots of open space and manicured gardens and grounds. While I can't explain exactly why, that same feeling of exploitation that I felt over the Lagoon tickets has returned. The thought of the church profiting from its temple construction turns my stomach and disgusts me. While I recognize the need to invest excess tithing funds responsibly to support the mission of the church, so called investments like the mall and both commercial and now these new residential real estate ventures leave me with a ache in the pit of my stomach. https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/05/05/lds-church-proposes-new/ Think of it as a modern Nauvoo. A beautiful temple surrounded by beautiful homes. I say the church should do whatever it can do to preserve itself during the coming hard times before the Millennium. 4
Scott Lloyd Posted May 8, 2020 Posted May 8, 2020 (edited) 9 hours ago, mfbukowski said: The Lagoon is an amusement park near Salt Lake City. I would presume that he lives in Utah One could tell you are an out-of-towner by the fact you call it "the Lagoon." We locals say, simply, "Lagoon.:" For example, when the Beach Boys wrote and recorded the song "Salt Lake City" in 1965, they wrote the line, "There's a park near the city, yeah, all the kids dig the Lagoon, now." Edited May 8, 2020 by Scott Lloyd
Recommended Posts