Seriously No Politics ×

New third-hour curriculum: Your experience?

50 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

This sounds pretty good.

But my understanding is that the discussion of local needs is to be general and not involve specific discussion of individuals in the ward, that that sort of thing is to remain the province of the ward council.

Well, we did try to talk about how do we get the inactives or non-members to come, and tbh, didn't really get very far on that particular topic. How do we make the ward more welcoming? I think this new format for the third hour will really help make us more welcoming and personable. I found it refreshing. Once a month, OK, or even good. I think it is a good thing if the members become cognizant of problems in the way they are perceived or met by investigators. It will certainly give me an opportunity to be somewhat more frank should I feel the need. I really do see it helping the Church retain members who may be feeling left out, and a good opportunity to perhaps discuss subjects which may be bothering certain members rather than letting them go unaddressed and festering.

I am in YM so I didn't experience it (and my wife is in primary).

I love the idea and am happy to hear Garden Girl's experience.  It seems like it may take some time to get everyone adjusted to the concept.  I heard of another ward that started an anonymous suggestion box because sometimes it isn't easy to sit in a circle of all your brothers/sisters in the ward and bring up a tough issue.  I like that idea... might just do it for our Teachers Quorum.

I'm in primary so have no personal experience and my husband skipped his--it would have been detrimental to his mental health. He got a text from one of his counselors about how the HP council went and it did not go well. It was a lecture from High Priest group leader for all but the last five minutes. 

Our lesson was about how sometimes the reality of how a Church program is implemented doesn't meet the idealized vision behind the program.

Of course, this year we're meeting in the choir seats, so we couldn't do the "half circle" arrangement (but ironically, we usually meet in the HC room, so we usually did have a half-circle of chairs around a table).  Maybe that was the problem.

4 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

The RS pres acted as leader in the discussion on "What we could do to make the Ward better/closer."  One sister suggested breaking the "gossip" tendency... I said to her, We have a gossip problem??  Yes! she answered and I saw several nods... which surprised me because we are a warm, welcoming ward, more so than most from what our visitors say... what then ensued was a very good discussion with wide participation... sisters sharing examples/experiences and suggestions.  And the positive examples that we can emphasize/continue to maintain the "family" feeling of our ward.  At the end of the meeting I said that it had gone better than I expected and how I'd enjoyed the format... to the general agreement of the sisters.  So I think we'll be just fine...

GG

On a slightly different tack....I have been astonished at the concerns about these lessons themselves turning into "gossip"....mostly coming from feminist groups! I have yet to see anyone bring that up as a concern about EQ councils. I hope to never hear that word again when women are the topic.

Meanwhile, our council was spectacular. It was on how to improve VT. We have had at least two lessons in the circle format already (including one practice council session) and they have all been beyond my expectations. I think experiences are going to vary depending on wards, though. We don't get more than 30 women so we can comfortably be in a circle. We put up one short row between the circle and the wall for those who feel too exposed in the circle. With all of us facing each other, it turns into a spontaneous discussion rather than raise your hand and get called on. Most surprising, was that our take over half the time with her comments sister, didn't hog the discussion at all.  We have had other VT lessons, this is the first time I have left with determination to do something different with one of my sisters. 

3 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

My understanding is that the meeting is to end with an action plan -- something specific to be accomplished either by the group collectively or by individuals. And there are to be followup reports in subsequent weeks.

Did anyone here experience anything of that nature?

As I mentioned ours did even though it was mainly just a list of people to pay special attention to. This included non-Mormons/ex-Mormons who need extra help with snow so people would do it without being asked. Then it was planning snow shoveling at the church since it's our year for doing it - particularly for baptisms the first Saturday of the month. Finally there was discussion about doing it evenings or mornings. We have a lot of students in our ward and many can't do nights easily. We decided to alternate. 

I don't know about followup reports, but we decided the EQ sending out a text blast to all the quorum was very helpful. We also had a discussion about why on earth LDS Tools doesn't simply automatically list who your home teachers are and who you home teach although it apparently will if you're in the EQ Presidency. What's up with that? It's a great idea. (Not that our quorum has any influence, but as soon as the discussion got started I realized how fantastic an idea it would be)

55 minutes ago, clarkgoble said:

As I mentioned ours did even though it was mainly just a list of people to pay special attention to. This included non-Mormons/ex-Mormons who need extra help with snow so people would do it without being asked. Then it was planning snow shoveling at the church since it's our year for doing it - particularly for baptisms the first Saturday of the month. Finally there was discussion about doing it evenings or mornings. We have a lot of students in our ward and many can't do nights easily. We decided to alternate. 

I don't know about followup reports, but we decided the EQ sending out a text blast to all the quorum was very helpful. We also had a discussion about why on earth LDS Tools doesn't simply automatically list who your home teachers are and who you home teach although it apparently will if you're in the EQ Presidency. What's up with that? It's a great idea. (Not that our quorum has any influence, but as soon as the discussion got started I realized how fantastic an idea it would be)

I can see everyone's home teachers, so you don't have to be in the EQ presidency.  I'm in the YW presidency, so maybe you just have to have a leadership calling.

" one swallow does not a summer make..."

So it is with one meeting on a new program.

Glad to hear of the success others are having. Like cinepro's group, my HP group always meets in the HC room so we are in a circle anyway.  A month ago the HP  group leader brought in a podium for the teacher to use. I wonder how long it will be before it disappears.

This topic came up on another site intended for members who believe: there was unanimity that the councils happened.  Many said that the topic was announced in advance (though there was real consternation about how Christlike at least one of those topics was).  And all of those who reported, said that it was done, to varying degrees of effectiveness.   So Scott, I'm thinking that the replies here may not be representative of the whole.

8 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

So presumably everyone throughout the Church had the first experience yesterday with the new third-hour curriculum in Relief Society or Melchizedek priesthood classes. For this first Sunday in the month, it was to be a council meeting involving everyone in the Relief Soicety or priesthood quorum/group.

What was your experience like?

Uuhhhhhhhhhh.

I liked what happened in ours.  We are already a close ward and already a very participatory ward as far as comments in lessons.   But as someone else said, being in the circle seemed to allow for more spontaneity and flow.  Our RS President had planned to simply introduce the council format itself, so she passed out copies (or some looked it up on their devices) the instructions that had been given in the November 2017 Ensign.  So we all took turns reading a small bullet point and then everyone could comment.  So that everyone could understand what was supposed to be happening as well as say what they wanted to see happen in upcoming councils etc.  I think also that we will be taking the "topic based" approach, that is--choose one topic for the council, the topic having been selected either by leaders or by suggestion in the council itself, the topic itself being a "local need".  Then we will discuss.  I don't know that our RS president emphasized the "action plan" portion of the instructions, but let's see.  A lot of emphasis was placed on making it a safe place for any sister to express herself. It was mentioned that it wasn't the place for confidential or individual confessions. The RS president said that for the other weeks of lessons, she would leave it up to the individual teacher about whether or not they wanted the chair-in-the-circle format or not.

Our bishop gave us all a set of challenges for the new year: to read the Book of Mormon every day, to do better at keeping the Sabbath day holy and observing the law of the fast, and to work on family history and/or indexing.  So we discussed those, and everyone chose a goal related to the challenge- one goal!  No one was crazy enough to publicly commit to all three!  The presidency also has put out a suggestion box for needs we could cover.

4 hours ago, juliann said:

On a slightly different tack....I have been astonished at the concerns about these lessons themselves turning into "gossip"....mostly coming from feminist groups! I have yet to see anyone bring that up as a concern about EQ councils. I hope to never hear that word again when women are the topic.

Our meeting did not turn into "gossip."  It was a very positive general discussion about being sensitive to new as well as regular sisters, making them feel welcome, not being judgmental, how to respond to a sister who does bring up what could be considered gossip about a sister/brother/family in order to stop it in it's tracks.  No individual/personal situations were mentioned by name etc.  We left with a positive feeling about our ward and how we would remain close by exercising the suggestions and principles we discussed...  it is naive to think that women at times don't perhaps unintentionally slip into a gossip situation... just like I was naive in not knowing/realizing that this was considered by some sisters a topic to be discussed in my ward...

GG 

Edited by Garden Girl

Our first meeting seemed to me to be just like all the other HP group meetings I have ever attended. For several years we have sat in a circle and discussed things, granted, out of a lesson manual. A member of the group leadership did most of the talking as he introduced the concept out of the provided materials. A few people commented. The concept still seems vague and undefined, but maybe that will change with time and experience  Then we wrote down some concerns we might have on sticky notes and turned them in. There was no concensus on what constituted a legitimate concern.

One brother who is in the SS Presidency made an interesting comment about a teen class that is eating teachers alive, and wondered if that is a local concern that could be discussed. On a personal level, I thought that was a good idea after seeing what had happened to Sister Gui in that class. What could we as the experienced adult males...former bishopric and stake presidency members, high councilors, fathers and grandfathers do to help? But apparently that is not the kind of concerns we are to be concerned about.

In my usual prankster grenade-throwing manner, I asked if political topics were verboten. They are. Apparently there are some HP groups where politics have driven away some members. I can see that happening. Not a safe place for everyone. On the other hand, I’m concerned about some of the directions our school district is taking that will affect our youth and what we, the High Priests of our community, could do about it,  but those are not the kind of local concerns we are to be concerned with. I won’t be bringing that up.

I hope it becomes more than just another meeting. 

Edited by Bernard Gui
35 minutes ago, Garden Girl said:

Our meeting did not turn into "gossip." 

Well that's good......

I don't know why that is relevant, though. I wasn't talking about your meeting, which is why I prefaced my comment by saying it was on a different topic. As you underlined, I have been taken back by the sexist comments coming from some in feminist groups, who should know better.  I think the "concern" that women will always gossip if let loose to be ridiculous, as if we would sit there and talk about people who could be sitting next to us. 

1 hour ago, Maidservant said:

A lot of emphasis was placed on making it a safe place for any sister to express herself. It was mentioned that it wasn't the place for confidential or individual confessions. The RS president said that for the other weeks of lessons, she would leave it up to the individual teacher about whether or not they wanted the chair-in-the-circle format or not.

This sounds like a recipe for success. 

1 hour ago, Traela said:

Our bishop gave us all a set of challenges for the new year: to read the Book of Mormon every day, to do better at keeping the Sabbath day holy and observing the law of the fast, and to work on family history and/or indexing.  So we discussed those, and everyone chose a goal related to the challenge- one goal!  No one was crazy enough to publicly commit to all three!  The presidency also has put out a suggestion box for needs we could cover.

I guess I don’t understand the concept yet. Was this list given to all three adult groups? Who is supposed to decide what the concerns are? Was the list developed in the Ward Council? How is this different than reading a lesson about the temple and then deciding to attend more?

Edited by Bernard Gui

We had a lesson with a PowerPoint explaining the differences. I've been looking forward to this change for a long time. It has worked very well for my son and his class (he is now a priest).

However, there were a number of concerned women who commented on the changes.  One of the big concerns was not having a lesson manual - these were not teachers. 

Our RS 1st C said we would not start right away with the circle.  That they would ease into that. Now reading the comments I wonder if I should encourage her to go ahead and try or if the concerns over things like the lessen book show that we need to take it slowly. I worry that if we take it slowly things will never change. 

Next week is ward conference with the stake RSP teaching on VT so we will see how that goes. 

14 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

So presumably everyone throughout the Church had the first experience yesterday with the new third-hour curriculum in Relief Society or Melchizedek priesthood classes.

Nope. Our area presidency requested that we instead meet together in a large group (age 12 and up) to be instructed concerning area goals for 2018.

For this first Sunday in the month, it was to be a council meeting involving everyone in the Relief Soicety or priesthood quorum/group.

Maybe I'm confused about the extent of the changes, but I'm quite certain that in both elders quorum and high priests group, the first Sunday of the month has been a council meeting for about 20 years now. That has certainly been my experience.

15 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Nope. Our area presidency requested that we instead meet together in a large group (age 12 and up) to be instructed concerning area goals for 2018.

Maybe I'm confused about the extent of the changes, but I'm quite certain that in both elders quorum and high priests group, the first Sunday of the month has been a council meeting for about 20 years now. That has certainly been my experience.

I think it may just have been worded different because that wasn't what was happening for the most part. That's why this has been a worry to me. You really need a teacher who can model what happens. People often just don't understand. Maybe the different wording will help the idea click into place.

9 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

I guess I don’t understand the concept yet. Was this list given to all three adult groups? Who is supposed to decide what the concerns are? Was the list developed in the Ward Council? How is this different than reading a lesson about the temple and then deciding to attend more?

In this case, the bishop didn't actually choose the lesson topic, he just set a challenge to the entire ward.  The RS presidency decided it would be a good discussion topic for their first Sunday.  We're still trying to figure out the whole council thing, so hopefully next month will be a little closer to what is intended.