April 2021 Conference Predictions/Rumors

3 minutes ago, nuclearfuels said:

Who's saying they should be?

I don't get it. 

I guess that's how General COnference messages were interpreted in prior generations?

That could be part of it. Earlier years women mostly stayed home and took care of the kids and so had time to do all the things that defined the ideal stay at home mom. 
Now most women are working and still feel they have to do al those things that were done by mothers in the past but are now not able to do them so much.
Also nowadays the world defines the successful woman as, not the stay at home mom of the past, but one who is fully educated and has a career, so they are being pulled in two directions and trying to do both at the same time.

• Like 1
On 3/19/2021 at 9:27 PM, 2BizE said:

A few thoughts on predictions:

1) There have been quite a few people leaving the church.  About 50% of Active Millennials are leaving.  I suspect more talks about staying in the boat and only studying from church approved resources.

2) Elder Bednar recently gave a talk on miracles, which turned out to be a few ordinary, everyday happenings during Covid.  Perhaps  there will be more talks on all of these miracles happening during Covid.

3) Probably one talk on how the fast for the Covid pandemic to be stopped, which did not work, will be turned into something else like how the fast helped to develop a vaccine instead.  God works in mysterious ways.

That is such a terrible metaphor, especially when considering the way Jesus urged Peter to exercise faith and leave the boat. That metaphor needs to be retired. Not only does it not seem to match biblical teachings, it also comes across like an abuser talking to the abused. Remember the "where will you go, what will you do?" line? It's cringeworthy.

Miracles? I hope not. Those talks come across as a bit silly to me because they're not actually miracles so much as every day occurrences that may be attributed to someone possibly receiving inspiration from God and acting as a human angel. I recently heard someone  discussing their belief of guardian angels and though I didn't say anything I was left scratching my head. For every occurrence that someone tries to apply to guardian angels there are multitude of other just as poignant situations (if not more so) of people who were not protected by guardian angels. If guardian angels exist it would prove God to be a bit capricious with his guardian angel assignments.

President Nelson has called the vaccine a Godsend. Yet I'm seeing many members posting on social media about how they won't get the shot just because Nelson got it and recommends it. It illustrates the point that virtually everyone picks and chooses how they will follow the prophet, whether it be from a liberal or conservative standpoint. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, 2BizE said:

I believe what is being surveyed is people of all age groups and whether they have continued to be active in the church, their particular beliefs in the BoM, etc.  For Millennials, this would be people who are active in the church, attend seminary, then as adults they stop attending, stop believing in church truth claims, the BoM, etc.

I'm not sure what the criteria are for "being active in the church" right now ;)

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Amulek said:

My sister used to work at Deseret Book back when she was in school, and she was constantly surprised at how many people didn't know that they offer price matching. 

So, if, at Deseret Industries, I find a book that's still in print and on the shelves at Deseret Book, would the latter match the price at which the book is offered by the former;) :D

50 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said:

That is such a terrible metaphor, especially when considering the way Jesus urged Peter to exercise faith and leave the boat. That metaphor needs to be retired. Not only does it not seem to match biblical teachings, it also comes across like an abuser talking to the abused. Remember the "where will you go, what will you do?" line? It's cringeworthy.

Miracles? I hope not. Those talks come across as a bit silly to me because they're not actually miracles so much as every day occurrences that may be attributed to someone possibly receiving inspiration from God and acting as a human angel. I recently heard someone  discussing their belief of guardian angels and though I didn't say anything I was left scratching my head. For every occurrence that someone tries to apply to guardian angels there are multitude of other just as poignant situations (if not more so) of people who were not protected by guardian angels. If guardian angels exist it would prove God to be a bit capricious with his guardian angel assignments.

President Nelson has called the vaccine a Godsend. Yet I'm seeing many members posting on social media about how they won't get the shot just because Nelson got it and recommends it. It illustrates the point that virtually everyone picks and chooses how they will follow the prophet, whether it be from a liberal or conservative standpoint. 

Not to worry, "Happy" Jack Wagon.  I think you can put away your umbrage and offense-taking.  I'm sure 2BizE feels pretty much the same way you do about the things she mentioned.

23 hours ago, JAHS said:

I think part of it is because they hear of how so many women are suffering from depression because they can't be the perfect Molly Mormon that they think they should be.

Hell, I've suffered from depression for the last thirty years because I can't be the Perfect Peter Priesthood I should be! <_< :rolleyes:  Suck it up, Buttercup! ;) :D :rofl:

Edited by Kenngo1969
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Not to worry, "Happy" Jack Wagon.  I think you can put away your umbrage and offense-taking.  I'm sure 2BizE feels pretty much the same way you do about the things she mentioned.

4 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Hell, I've suffered from depression for the last thirty years because I can't be the Perfect Peter Priesthood I should be! <_< :rolleyes:  Suck it up, Buttercup! ;) :D :rofl:

Your compassion is touching.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, HappyJackWagon said:

It comes from a talk a couple decades old, by an apostle but I can't remember which one now, who told a story about a grandchild who decided, halfway across a lake, that they were ready to get out of the boat.  

I find it a good analogy when the context is understood.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
1 minute ago, bluebell said:

It comes from a talk a couple decades old, by an apostle but I can't remember which one now, who told a story about a grandchild who decided, halfway across a lake, that they were ready to get out of the boat.  

that was from, get this, President Nelson!!!!!!!! hahahahha! it was when he and his wife were on a lake in Minnesota

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, HappyJackWagon said:

I don’t have a lot of sympathy for a mindset that substitutes an unintended context of a figurative expression for the intended one. 

And so long as we are talking about fidelity to Biblical teachings, we should bear in mind that “where will you go?” does, in fact, stem from a Biblical teaching, the incident in which Christ asked his disciples, “Will you also go away?” and one responded, “Master, where would we go? Thou hast the words of eternal life.” 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
  • Upvote 4
18 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Perhaps. I remember Ballard using the metaphor in a couple of different conferences where he was talking about the Good Ship Zion. I don't recall anything earlier than that, but I don't doubt you. I stand by my opinion that it's a poor analogy when there is a famous biblical story teaching the opposite behavior.

To each their own.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, katherine the great said:

Love one another. 

Lyrics

1. As I have loved you,

Love one another.

This new commandment:

Love one another.

By this shall men know

Ye are my disciples,

If ye have love

One to another.

42 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I don’t have a lot of sympathy for a mindset that substitutes an unintended context of a figurative expression for the intended one. 

And so long as we are talking about fidelity to Biblical teachings, we should bear in mind that “where will you go?” does, in fact, stem from a Biblical teaching, the incident in which Christ asked his disciples, “Will you also go away?” and one responded, “Master, where would we go? Thou hats the words of eternal life.” 

I admit, your sympathy is not of much concern to me :) 

Do you see a difference between someone in authority saying "where will you go, what will you do?" and the person (disciple) asking the leader "where would we go"? The context of who is asking the question is pretty significant. But again, if you like that metaphor, congratulations. Continue liking it.

3 hours ago, ttribe said:

Your compassion is touching.

Oh, you needn't worry.  I have plenty of compassion for anyone who is experiencing mental health challenges, believe me.

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Bob Crockett said:

I don't appreciate his writing.  

“When you have reached your own room, be kind to those who have chosen different doors and to those who are still in the hall. If they are wrong they need your prayers all the more; and if they are your enemies, then you are under orders to pray for them. That is one of the rules common to the whole house.”

• Like 1
On 3/22/2021 at 1:43 PM, HappyJackWagon said:

Perhaps. I remember Ballard using the metaphor in a couple of different conferences where he was talking about the Good Ship Zion. I don't recall anything earlier than that, but I don't doubt you. I stand by my opinion that it's a poor analogy when there is a famous biblical story teaching the opposite behavior.

To each their own.

The Biblical story to which you refer does not in fact teach the opposite behavior. In fact it could be argued that it supports the same behavior, as the point of it is to have faith, and it often takes faith to remain on a proper course — to stay in the boat, as it were. 

You’re welcome to your personal preferences; to each his own, as you say. But that doesn’t make it a bad analogy. In fact, I’d argue that it’s a good one, based on its memorability and how it has captured the popular imagination. When I was working, I covered a celebration at BYU of the anniversary of the creation of the first student stake in the Church. President Ballard spoke. In honor of the occasion, an original song was composed, and a choir performed it. It was inspired by the Good Ship Zion analogy. How many conference sermons can you name that have prompted musical compositions? 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
1 hour ago, HappyJackWagon said:

I admit, your sympathy is not of much concern to me :) 

Do you see a difference between someone in authority saying "where will you go, what will you do?" and the person (disciple) asking the leader "where would we go"? The context of who is asking the question is pretty significant. But again, if you like that metaphor, congratulations. Continue liking it.

The overarching concept is the same: the folly of departing from the true and right path because of a lack of understanding or faith. 

4 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

So, if, at Deseret Industries, I find a book that's still in print and on the shelves at Deseret Book, would the latter match the price at which the book is offered by the former;):D

The product would have to be comparable, it seems to me. A used item is not comparable to a new one. 

But nice try  😉.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Duncan said:

that was from, get this, President Nelson!!!!!!!! hahahahha! it was when he and his wife were on a lake in Minnesota

Nice!  

• Like 1