Seriously No Politics ×

April 2021 Conference Predictions/Rumors

1 minute ago, The Nehor said:

I am not arguing that the middle ground is right. I am arguing that both sides characterizing him as wrong and extreme suggests that he is not extreme. Whether he is right is a different matter. He is right but not because the middle ground is right.

OK, got it. 

3 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I am not arguing that the middle ground is right. I am arguing that both sides characterizing him as wrong and extreme suggests that he is not extreme. Whether he is right is a different matter. He is right but not because the middle ground is right.

But but but . . . he could still be extreme . . . in his own way as the other two in their own ways?  It is not a two-dimensional argument . . . it could be 3-dimensional?

1 minute ago, longview said:

But but but . . . he could still be extreme . . . in his own way as the other two in their own ways?  It is not a two-dimensional argument . . . it could be 3-dimensional?

If so I like his kind of extremism and would like to see more of it. If it is sound and sensible and annoys everyone then it sounds good to me.

5 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

If so I like his kind of extremism and would like to see more of it. If it is sound and sensible and annoys everyone then it sounds good to me.

Extremism for the sake of extremism?

On 4/6/2021 at 7:07 AM, Scott Lloyd said:

I wonder if he was in any degree aware of the hissy fits that might ensue but, in an impressive show of courage, elected to make the remarks anyway. If so, my already high regard for him just increased. 

Just out of curiosity, Scott, before you quit your "day job," did you ever have occasion to meet with him one-on-one, or perhaps in a small group?

3 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Just out of curiosity, Scott, before you quit your "day job," did you ever have occasion to meet with him one-on-one, or perhaps in a small group?

While I was a senior at BYU and he was university president, I interned at the university alumni magazine. The editor and I together interviewed President Oaks for an article in the magazine. Soon, I would graduate and President Oaks would be released.

It would, of course, be years before he would be an apostle and I a Church News staffer. Though I covered his speeches a few times, our one-on-one contacts were limited to brief phone conversations of no great moment about articles I had written (we always gave apostles the opportunity to see our content prior to publication when it involved them). If he recognized me from our encounter at BYU, he never said. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
1 hour ago, Peacefully said:

I’ll get it in before Scott does, it’s “Eubank” lol! I love her!

For those who care about such things, she is a daughter of Mark Eubank, retired weatherman at KSL-TV in Salt Lake City. And, of course, a sister of Kevin Eubank, the station’s current weather guy. 

2 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Yeah, but what post are you quoting? 

The one you edited 30 minutes ago. It's gone, now. 

Mine follows yours, and the "minutes ago" in both of them match. That one. You got rid of the "Manson" thing and added more detail.

Edited by rongo
3 minutes ago, rongo said:

The one you edited 30 minutes ago. It's gone, now. 

Mine follows yours, and the "minutes ago" in both of them match. That one. You got rid of the "Manson" thing and added more detail.

Yeah, I knew all that. I thought I would have some mischievous fun gaslighting you for a few minutes. 

What happened is that I originally wrote the post about President Oaks in response to Kenngo’s inquiry. Then, seeing that someone else had posted about President Monson, I worried that Ken had been referring to him, so I subbed out my post for a new one. I soon realized I had been right the first time, so I restored the original post.

I hoped no one would notice, but obviously you did, so I used it as an opportunity for some playful gaslighting. Don’t worry, I wasn’t going to carry it on longer than a few minutes. 

Incidentally, that was a funny quip about Squeaky Fromme. I wonder, though, if it went over the heads of the non-boomers here.