Jump to content

April 2021 Conference Predictions/Rumors


Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, rongo said:

There are still a lot of marriages that come out of the YSA wards, and many of them remain active, productive families. But, mileage varies, and they aren't good experiences for everyone. 

I'm pretty traditional/conservative, but I don't think dissolving them and putting all YSAs back into the family wards everywhere would be a net, overall positive for most YSAs. I personally think they do more good than there would be without them (leadership roulette plays into this). And, you kind of have no other choice on college campuses with a lot of LDS students. 

In areas where they just aren't working well, the YSAs may as well go with the family wards on their own volition. 

I know in the province just over from mine, the two cities they had two wards of YSAs (obviously one in one city and the other in the next) but they basically dissolved themselves, nobody was showing up and it came to a point where it was the bishopric, the missionaries and one or two members and they closed them down. Here might be a different story, guess we'll see I guess

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
15 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I know in the province just over from mine, the two cities they had two wards of YSAs (obviously one in one city and the other in the next) but they basically dissolved themselves, nobody was showing up and it came to a point where it was the bishopric, the missionaries and one or two members and they closed them down. Here might be a different story, guess we'll see I guess

Yeah, if they die on the vine, then that takes care of that. 

The leadership is key. My dad was a YSA bishop for 6 years, and they had a really good ward. When they were replaced, the new bishopric was released after only a month. The YSAs didn't take to them, and activity dwindled. They saw it as a few hours on Sunday calling, when you really need good couples who spend lots of time with the YSAs and genuinely like doing things with them. The YSAs can tell if the couples are "carpetbaggers" who want to put minimal effort into it. 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
24 minutes ago, juliann said:

Is it safe to predict the end of the tossed salad or fairy garden “floral” arrangements? 
 

I'm not liking the current back drop much, I think I'll take the tossed salad.

Link to post
31 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I'm not liking the current back drop much, I think I'll take the tossed salad.

Don’t ask for too much, like a professional designer. Im just thrilled that the floral arrangements, strewn in huge random clumps across the floor with no rhyme or reason,  are recognizable as flowers. 
 

Meanwhile, I am thrilled with the international session this morning. And not just because of the relief from that inexplicable backdrop of clashing colors when they spoke from other venues. It was the most exciting session in a long time. Now if only the afternoon session is all women....

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post

I noticed a lot of personal food storage among the choir members. I suppose it's a good thing, my wife won't last 10 minutes in a famine.  I'll last about 20 minutes. 

Link to post
10 minutes ago, juliann said:

Now if only the afternoon session is all women....

That would just be a two hour water break...

 

I kid, I kid...

  • Haha 1
Link to post
13 minutes ago, rodheadlee said:

I noticed a lot of personal food storage among the choir members. I suppose it's a good thing, my wife won't last 10 minutes in a famine.  I'll last about 20 minutes. 

What’s conference without a little fat shaming, eh?

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
4 minutes ago, juliann said:

What’s conference without a little fat shaming, eh?

That was uncalled for.

Link to post
32 minutes ago, juliann said:

What’s conference without a little fat shaming, eh?

No shame just an observation. I can't keep my wife over 90 lb. I wish she could get some extra lbs. 

Link to post
55 minutes ago, juliann said:

Don’t ask for too much, like a professional designer. Im just thrilled that the floral arrangements, strewn in huge random clumps across the floor with no rhyme or reason,  are recognizable as flowers. 
 

Meanwhile, I am thrilled with the international session this morning. And not just because of the relief from that inexplicable backdrop of clashing colors when they spoke from other venues. It was the most exciting session in a long time. Now if only the afternoon session is all women....

Nothing like a little man shaming and race-baiting.

Link to post
19 minutes ago, rodheadlee said:

Nothing like a little man shaming and race-baiting.

Wow, this isn’t like you. A conference with POC is a joy, not “race baiting”. Don’t throw those stones with something so important. 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
1 hour ago, juliann said:

What’s conference without a little fat shaming, eh?

 

59 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

That was uncalled for.

 

30 minutes ago, rodheadlee said:

No shame just an observation. I can't keep my wife over 90 lb. I wish she could get some extra lbs. 

I guess we shouldn't hold our breath waiting for an apology, then @juliann?

  • Like 1
Link to post
1 hour ago, juliann said:

Now if only the afternoon session is all women....

With Rasband, Christofferson, and Bednar left, very unlikely. ;) 

Link to post
15 minutes ago, juliann said:

Wow, this isn’t like you. A conference with POC is a joy, not “race baiting”. Don’t throw those stones with something so important. 

Sorry I have an anger problem right now. I live in Mexico because I'm an economic Refugee and I work in the United States. Everybody's heaping tons of money and praise upon being inclusive of BPIOC. I am over it. At No time in my life have I ever been apathetic.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
14 minutes ago, rodheadlee said:

Sorry I have an anger problem right now. I live in Mexico because I'm an economic Refugee and I work in the United States. Everybody's heaping tons of money and praise upon being inclusive of BPIOC. I am over it. At No time in my life have I ever been apathetic.

I’m sorry that’s happening. You don’t have to be a minority group for life to be acutely unfair. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
10 minutes ago, juliann said:

I’m sorry that’s happening. You don’t have to be a minority group for life to be acutely unfair. 

Yeah the biggest problem is crossing the border it can take up to five hours to cross. Tomorrow's going to be a zoo probably later today to. I love the town I live in but I hate crossing the border. They can open nine more Lanes but they don't they'd rather we breathe the miasma of the Border area than actually cross in a timely manner. It's not like they're testing us for covid or taking our temperature . 

Coming back into Mexico is never a problem. It takes about 15 minutes.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
12 minutes ago, juliann said:

I’m sorry that’s happening. You don’t have to be a minority group for life to be acutely unfair. 

That's true.  Perhaps it would behoove some BIPOC and their allies to remember that.

Link to post
2 hours ago, juliann said:

Don’t ask for too much, like a professional designer. Im just thrilled that the floral arrangements, strewn in huge random clumps across the floor with no rhyme or reason,  are recognizable as flowers. 
 

Meanwhile, I am thrilled with the international session this morning. And not just because of the relief from that inexplicable backdrop of clashing colors when they spoke from other venues. It was the most exciting session in a long time. Now if only the afternoon session is all women....

😆

Link to post

President Oaks is right now speaking words which will cause plenty of controversy amongst the saints, and probably even more outside the church!

He talking (gasp!) about strict construction of the US Constitution!!!  

Heh, heh, let the hissy fits begin.

Link to post
On 4/4/2021 at 2:20 PM, Stargazer said:

President Oaks is right now speaking words which will cause plenty of controversy amongst the saints, and probably even more outside the church!

He talking (gasp!) about strict construction of the US Constitution!!!  

Heh, heh, let the hissy fits begin.

I wonder if he was in any degree aware of the hissy fits that might ensue but, in an impressive show of courage, elected to make the remarks anyway. If so, my already high regard for him just increased. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
50 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I wonder if he was in any degree aware of the hissy fits that might ensue but, in an impressive show of courage, elected to make the remarks anyway. If so, my already high regard for him just increased. 

I suspect he was and the reaction here is tepid in comparison to other areas of the web. I have heard him called a traitor by one side and a provincial small-minded fool by another. If the giants say you are too small and the dwarves say you are too big odds are there is nothing remarkable about your size. It was well written and well said. It may end up being a justification for evil but nothing new there.

Link to post
1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

I suspect he was and the reaction here is tepid in comparison to other areas of the web. I have heard him called a traitor by one side and a provincial small-minded fool by another. If the giants say you are too small and the dwarves say you are too big odds are there is nothing remarkable about your size. It was well written and well said. It may end up being a justification for evil but nothing new there.

What you have highlighted here is actually a fallacy called the argument to moderation. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_to_moderation

In essence, it is fallacious, because the middle ground is not necessarily where truth or sound reasoning is to be found. Sometimes, the truth is actually closer to one or the other of the sides than it is to the middle. Or, to put it another way, one side might be more wrong in its extremism than the other. 
 

In this instance, though, I agree that President Oaks’s attackers, as you characterize them here, are wrong though they are coming at him from opposite poles. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
Link to post
On 4/4/2021 at 9:55 AM, rongo said:

Yeah, if they die on the vine, then that takes care of that. 

The leadership is key. My dad was a YSA bishop for 6 years, and they had a really good ward. When they were replaced, the new bishopric was released after only a month. The YSAs didn't take to them, and activity dwindled. They saw it as a few hours on Sunday calling, when you really need good couples who spend lots of time with the YSAs and genuinely like doing things with them. The YSAs can tell if the couples are "carpetbaggers" who want to put minimal effort into it. 

I recently watched a video of Thomas Monson's life (for the second time).  I though it very impressive how he was called at a young age to be president of the youth organization (MIA or something).  Attendance at his youth activities was MUCH greater than that of the regular ward sacrament meeting.  He must have had non-members joining in.  Might be because Thomas had no guile and radiated so much love out of his persona.

Edited by longview
Link to post
2 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

What you have highlighted here is actually a fallacy called the argument to moderation. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_to_moderation

In essence, it is fallacious, because the middle ground is not necessarily where truth or sound reasoning is to be found. Sometimes, the truth is actually closer to one or the other of the sides than it is to the middle. Or, to put it another way, one side might be more wrong in its extremism than the other. 
 

In this instance, though, I agree that President Oaks’s attackers, as you characterize them here, are wrong though they are coming at him from opposite poles. 

I am not arguing that the middle ground is right. I am arguing that both sides characterizing him as wrong and extreme suggests that he is not extreme. Whether he is right is a different matter. He is right but not because the middle ground is right.

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...