Seriously No Politics ×

Ward Christmas Parties during Covid

We are doing nothing.  The RS was going to try to have an outdoor one with fire barrels scattered around the stakes Bowery area (covered picnic tables next to a large grass field), some entertainment and a visit from Santa but that got cut when Utah's numbers got so high (and I am not sad).

Our ward is having a party. I really don't know what is going on except there is some kind of dinner and they are collecting food for a food bank. I haven't really paid attention since I'm not going.  If I get another email I will post and let you know more. It is entirely possible it will be out in the parking lot as we are in Phoenix and while getting colder it is still warm enough to meet outside.  I know we have an RS activity that will be outside.

12 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

No party. Absolutely nothing. 

The Bishopric is collecting gift cards for families.

We still did the angel tree like normal and I know the RS also did a gift for each sister in the ward.  So those aspects of Christmas are still the same for us.

Garden Girl posted this in the wrong thread...since she doesn't post much, am posting it here in case she doesn't get back in time:

Lincoln City ward is not having our usual Christmas dinner, which is a shame since it was always a wonderful activity... ditto with our foregoing Thanksgiving... 

GG

Nothing that I'm aware of. Our ward doesn't usually meet in person outside of sacrament meeting itself or some socially distanced activities for the youth. Those stopped when we entered fall and started spiking. We may do a drive through movie night for the youth and their families, depending on what happens with our numbers in the next couple weeks. 

With luv,

BD

3 hours ago, Broker said:

Thanks...I should have mentioned that I need to make a decision.

Before I do, I thought it might help to understand how other wards are handling this year's Christmas.

It would be rather odd to not be able to go to church but parties were ok- doncha think?

That's perhaps the root question that would solve the answers you receive.   Probably the policies are the same for parties as they are for church attendence.

3 hours ago, bluebell said:

We still did the angel tree like normal and I know the RS also did a gift for each sister in the ward.  So those aspects of Christmas are still the same for us.

What's an angel tree?

4 hours ago, Broker said:

I'd appreciate understanding what your wards are planning for in-person Christmas events, if any, during this Covid pandemic.

Thanks!

None. There are some toy drives underway, but no in-person parties.

2 minutes ago, Calm said:

Has envelopes with needs of families stuck in it if it is what my ward has done.

Ah thanks.

We have done that as well, we just don't have a name for it- maybe a "wish tree" or something like that.

1 hour ago, mfbukowski said:

It would be rather odd to not be able to go to church but parties were ok- doncha think?

That's perhaps the root question that would solve the answers you receive.   Probably the policies are the same for parties as they are for church attendence.

I think most, if not all, of the wards and stakes around me are still having church.  I know my ward usually has 170 attending and at the time has about 135.

Is broker in the states?

13 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

Ah thanks.

We have done that as well, we just don't have a name for it- maybe a "wish tree" or something like that.

Often times at stores it will be called angel and the little slips on the tree are pictures of angels.  It may differ in where someone lives.

9 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

What's an angel tree?

It depends on the location but in our stake a person is called from each ward in November to help oversee the angel tree in their building. The angel tree is a Christmas tree with slips of papers attached that lists a requested item and the age/size of the person it is for. It sits in the foyer of each building for a couple of weeks, with the person in charge of it nearby so they can note who takes a slip and what the present is.  Only the people involved know the names.

People pick slips off the tree and agree to have the present/s to the person in charge by December 1st, unwrapped.

Then they will be wrapped and discreetly distributed to the wards and people they are intended for a couple of weeks before Christmas. 

Edited by bluebell

I read the other day of someone doing a Christmas pageant reader's theater on zoom, with the music by CD  or digital download, and kids dressing up as shepherds, wisemen, angels as they choose and in front of their cameras at home.   (I have a script if anyone wants one.  PM and I'll give you my email so I can send it privately)

Our ward so far has just put in their newsletter about a half a dozen musical Christmas programs that are being shown and encouraging families to watch them. 

• Dec 1 @ 6:00 PM, Live Broadcast on

ChurchofJesusChrist.org: Christmas on Temple Square kickoff performance: This year, people from around the world can enjoy a special Temple Square event and its messages from the comfort of their own homes. Sister missionaries serving on Temple Square will host a virtual event and guide viewers on a virtual tour of Temple Square and the Christmas lights.

• Dec 2-23 @ 6:00PM: The Christmas Collection

Concert Series: Christmas performances submitted from around the world will be broadcast nearly every night originating from Temple Square in Salt Lake City. Concerts will be broadcast in English but will include songs in other languages as well. Concerts will run from December 2–23. Broadcasts will take place at 6 p.m. on ChurchofJesusChrist.org and on Tuesday and Friday evenings on the Temple Square Facebook page.

• Dec 6 @ 6:00 PM: First Presidency Christmas

Devotional: The program will include Christmas messages by General Authorities and General Officers of the Church. Music will be from previous Christmas devotionals by The Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square. View a livestream at

ChurchofJesusChrist.org.

• Dec 14 @ 6:00 PM: Light the World: Social Sing and Serve. Sing along and serve along with some well-known musicians on Monday, December 14, at 6 p.m. Catch the stream at ChurchofJesusChrist.org and on the Temple Square Facebook page.

• Dec 14 @ 7:00 PM, via BYUtv: Christmas with the Tabernacle Choir featuring Kelli O’Hara and Richard Thomas. Visit the choir’s website for viewing information during December.

https://www.thetabernaclechoir.org/events/2020-pbs-and-byutv-christmas-tv-specials.html

• Virtual Luz de las Naciones Event on December 19, 2020 at 7:00 p.m. This Christmas-themed event will include a program which has never been broadcast and which celebrates the birth of the Savior, Jesus Christ. Luz de Las Naciones features a cast of more than 1,000 Latino singers, dancers and performers. Its purpose is to showcase Latino cultures from across the world and to highlight our shared heritage of belief in the Lord Jesus Christ as “the Light of the World.” All members are invited to view this event and are encouraged to invite friends and relatives, particularly those of other faiths, to view them...

Edited by Calm
19 hours ago, Rain said:

I think most, if not all, of the wards and stakes around me are still having church.  I know my ward usually has 170 attending and at the time has about 135.

Is broker in the states?

Well he sure ain't in California.  We are under a stay-at-home order, here in the People's Republic.  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/03/us/california-stay-at-home-order.html

LOS ANGELES — California, the first state to impose far-reaching lockdowns because of the coronavirus, announced on Thursday its strictest new measures since the earliest days of the pandemic in an effort to keep a surge in cases from overwhelming hospitals.

Gov. Gavin Newsom said the new round of regional stay-at-home orders would take effect as intensive-care beds filled up. Millions of people across Southern and Central California are likely to see outdoor dining shuttered, playgrounds roped off and hair salons closed within days if the available intensive-care capacity in their areas dips below a 15 percent threshold.

The new restrictions will last for at least three weeks, strictly limit store capacity and allow restaurants to serve only takeout or delivery. The governor also said people should temporarily call off all nonessential travel.

“If we don’t act now our hospital system will be overwhelmed,” Mr. Newsom said. “If we don’t act now we’ll continue to see our death rate climb.”

55 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

Well he sure ain't in California.  We are under a stay-at-home order, here in the People's Republic.  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/03/us/california-stay-at-home-order.html

I was speaking to this when I said that:

"It would be rather odd to not be able to go to church but parties were ok- doncha think?"

I was thinking that he may be in a place where they are having church so it woulit wouldn't necessarily be odd that he was thinking about a ward party.

On 12/3/2020 at 8:17 PM, Broker said:

Thanks...I should have mentioned that I need to make a decision.

Before I do, I thought it might help to understand how other wards are handling this year's Christmas.

What does your stake plan / guidelines say about it?