Covid II: Medical Info and Implications

3 hours ago, Calm said:

We can also protect others from us. 

In that context, I think it is obvious that by protecting ourselves we also protect others.  My comment was in another context.

There's not much one individual can do when your state opens up too early, in your estimation, except protect yourself by wearing your own mask.  The "others" who are NOT wearing masks apparently feel they do not need to be protected from a danger they do not believe exists anymore.  They are willing to expose themselves to an alleged danger, which apparently they do not believe exists.

That was the context of her comment and the context of my comment.

53 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

I finally qualify for a vaccine, so I booked in to receive my first dose of Astra-Zeneca (the only option available to me) this past Sunday before church. I was given a two-sided page of warnings, and the nurse who administered the jab started to repeat them to me. I told her that I understood vaccination quite well, including its inherent risks, and that I was familiar with the known risks of this specific vaccine, so she stopped.

I was fine till about 9pm Sunday night, which is when my temperature spiked. I had driven 250km to speak at a fireside, so this was on the drive home. Thankfully, I had taken a travelling companion (one of my former Young Men), who helped make the remainder of the trip more pleasant. By the time I got home, I was wracked with chills and muscle aches from head to toe. I took an analgesic and tried to sleep, but it was a tumultuous night, filled with something bordering on delirium. I didn't make it to work Monday, but by 7:00 that evening, the fever finally broke, and I felt immediately better.

The soreness surrounding the injection site was the only thing I noticed yesterday, and interestingly, that worsened so much last night that I couldn't sleep on my left side. It remains really bad today. Clearly my immune system has been triggered! :D

I receive my second dose in August. We hope to have increased access to mRNA vaccines at some point later this year, though I suspect it will be next year, and by then, I expect many of us will be getting vaccinated again for multiple reasons, but so far, I have done my part.

FWIW, I bumped into one of my mates at the shops on Saturday, and because of his occupation, he qualified for a Pfizer vaccine. He said it knocked him over for two days, and he still has swelling in his lymph nodes. This appears to be a good opportunity for the general population to be reminded of what vaccines are and what they have to do in order to work.

Maybe I got a dud, because I had no symptoms, except a little soreness in the arm on the second shot.

2 hours ago, Spammer said:

3 nights! I’ll be seeing Dead and Co up the road in Bristow, VA on my birthday.

I just have to say...one of the coolest musical improvisations I ever saw live, was at Autzen Stadium in Eugene, OR. Mid 80's? I had seen the Dead at the old Paramount Theatre, Portland, in the mid 70's. All the repertoire I ever cared about, I thought I had heard that first time. But no. 

So it was a cold spring rain that fell on us that afternoon, and I guess it could have been practiced and done before for such an occasion. But when the band started playing a Beatles cover, Rain, I, who by the mid 80's was completely not high, was blown away. They were great, and the crazies, it looked like Woodstock the way everybody was dressed except my wife and I, I think I left my tie in the car. Heh.

Anyway, how about a trio of Deadheads who are also absolutely committed to Apostolic Tradition, hanging out with the LDS?  

3DOP

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, 3DOP said:

I just have to say...one of the coolest musical improvisations I ever saw live, was at Autzen Stadium in Eugene, OR. Mid 80's? I had seen the Dead at the old Paramount Theatre, Portland, in the mid 70's. All the repertoire I ever cared about, I thought I had heard that first time. But no. 

So it was a cold spring rain that fell on us that afternoon, and I guess it could have been practiced and done before for such an occasion. But when the band started playing a Beatles cover, Rain, I, who by the mid 80's was completely not high, was blown away. They were great, and the crazies, it looked like Woodstock the way everybody was dressed except my wife and I, I think I left my tie in the car. Heh.

Allow a fellow deadhead to help you relive that Eugene show.

So after poking around Deadbase, I see that "Rain" was first performed in '92. The only Eugene show with it is 6/17/94. It's the second set opener (with an unusual Rain > Eyes). You can listen to it (and the whole show) here:

https://archive.org/details/gd1994-06-17.neumann.unknown.larson.28898.shnf/gd94-06-17d2t01.shn

The song starts at the 3 minute mark. It seems like the band was trying to figure out what to play. At the 2:10 minute mark Phil says something like, "we're working on it, we're a democratic band" ha.

ETA: if you want to read people's memories of the show, you can go here: https://www.dead.net/show/june-17-1994 Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Here's a photo from the show:

xoeneqb0cc711.png

And from the other side:

83f5a75c55a5da6d546be6357cfcf7d5.jpg

13 hours ago, 3DOP said:

Anyway, how about a trio of Deadheads who are also absolutely committed to Apostolic Tradition, hanging out with the LDS? 

We're an interesting crew for sure! Maybe we're the Deadheads who confused LSD and LDS... ;) 

Edited by MiserereNobis
Posted (edited)

Got some bad news. The CDC has some recommendations that may mess with our social lives. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Edited by The Nehor

My eldest sister is a high school teacher in America. Yesterday, the kids were told they could stop wearing masks at the end of the day, and they even had large bins for them to put them in in what my sister described as a 'kind of protest'. Today, the deputy principal visited her to let her know that one of her students was diagnosed with Covid overnight but it was OK because they had both been wearing masks ... :blink:

2 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

My eldest sister is a high school teacher in America. Yesterday, the kids were told they could stop wearing masks at the end of the day, and they even had large bins for them to put them in in what my sister described as a 'kind of protest'. Today, the deputy principal visited her to let her know that one of her students was diagnosed with Covid overnight but it was OK because they had both been wearing masks ... :blink:

Crazy! 

Reminds me of this junior high school near by in Utah:

https://kslnewsradio.com/1948842/small-covid-19-outbreak-in-kaysville-likely-linked-to-school-play/

On 5/21/2021 at 10:02 AM, MiserereNobis said:

Allow a fellow deadhead to help you relive that Eugene show.

So after poking around Deadbase, I see that "Rain" was first performed in '92. The only Eugene show with it is 6/17/94. It's the second set opener (with an unusual Rain > Eyes). You can listen to it (and the whole show) here:

https://archive.org/details/gd1994-06-17.neumann.unknown.larson.28898.shnf/gd94-06-17d2t01.shn

The song starts at the 3 minute mark. It seems like the band was trying to figure out what to play. At the 2:10 minute mark Phil says something like, "we're working on it, we're a democratic band" ha.

ETA: if you want to read people's memories of the show, you can go here: https://www.dead.net/show/june-17-1994 Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Here's a photo from the show:

xoeneqb0cc711.png

And from the other side:

83f5a75c55a5da6d546be6357cfcf7d5.jpg

We're an interesting crew for sure! Maybe we're the Deadheads who confused LSD and LDS... ;) 

The ways that Covid has changed us:

1) I never thought that pictures of a Grateful Dead concert would give me anxiety.  

On 5/21/2021 at 10:02 AM, MiserereNobis said:

...We're an interesting crew for sure! Maybe we're the Deadheads who confused LSD and LDS... ;) 

7 hours ago, pogi said:

There goes my weekend plans!

Well, I might've known that you love poultry, but I don't think that it dawned on me that you love poultry! :D :rofl: :D

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Ken. Hey.

One of my favorite scenes...I hesitate to say it...but from a favorite movie. It just works. If you want some space (outer) and time travel humor, this is my pick. 

I always like the way Scotty is annoyed with needing a keyboard to give the formula for some innovative aluminum. And McCoy arguing with obviously intelligent and committed modern doctors who were doing their best in medical darkness.

Maybe that can bring us back to Covid. Like McCoy, I am skeptical of the medicine of this generation.

Edited by 3DOP
On 5/18/2021 at 8:23 PM, Hamba Tuhan said:

I finally qualify for a vaccine, so I booked in to receive my first dose of Astra-Zeneca (the only option available to me) this past Sunday before church. I was given a two-sided page of warnings, and the nurse who administered the jab started to repeat them to me. I told her that I understood vaccination quite well, including its inherent risks, and that I was familiar with the known risks of this specific vaccine, so she stopped.

I was fine till about 9pm Sunday night, which is when my temperature spiked. I had driven 250km to speak at a fireside, so this was on the drive home. Thankfully, I had taken a travelling companion (one of my former Young Men), who helped make the remainder of the trip more pleasant. By the time I got home, I was wracked with chills and muscle aches from head to toe. I took an analgesic and tried to sleep, but it was a tumultuous night, filled with something bordering on delirium. I didn't make it to work Monday, but by 7:00 that evening, the fever finally broke, and I felt immediately better.

The soreness surrounding the injection site was the only thing I noticed yesterday, and interestingly, that worsened so much last night that I couldn't sleep on my left side. It remains really bad today. Clearly my immune system has been triggered! :D

I receive my second dose in August. We hope to have increased access to mRNA vaccines at some point later this year, though I suspect it will be next year, and by then, I expect many of us will be getting vaccinated again for multiple reasons, but so far, I have done my part.

FWIW, I bumped into one of my mates at the shops on Saturday, and because of his occupation, he qualified for a Pfizer vaccine. He said it knocked him over for two days, and he still has swelling in his lymph nodes. This appears to be a good opportunity for the general population to be reminded of what vaccines are and what they have to do in order to work.

This is very close to the experience I had with the Moderna vaccine, but well worth it!

Posted (edited)

Good news for those who have had covid. You have antibodies and they will last. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01442-9

“Ellebedy’s team tracked antibody production in 77 people who had recovered from mostly mild cases of COVID-19. As expected, SARS-CoV-2 antibodies plummeted in the four months after infection. But this decline slowed, and up to 11 months after infection, the researchers could still detect antibodies that recognized the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein.

To identify the source of the antibodies, Ellebedy’s team collected memory B cells and bone marrow from a subset of participants. Seven months after developing symptoms, most of these participants still had memory B cells that recognized SARS-CoV-2. In 15 of the 18 bone-marrow samples, the scientists found ultra-low but detectable populations of BMPCs whose formation had been triggered by the individuals’ coronavirus infections 7–8 months before. Levels of these cells were stable in all five people who gave another bone-marrow sample several months later.”

http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41586-021-03647-4

Edited by bsjkki
2 hours ago, bsjkki said:

Good news for those who have had covid. You have antibodies and they will last. 

Now hopefully those of us who haven't had Covid will end up with antibodies equally as persistent ...