Seriously No Politics ×

Covid II: Medical Info and Implications

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/interactive/2021/covid-rates-unvaccinated-people/

These adjusted numbers paint a far less optimistic picture: Washington’s case rate among unvaccinated people is as high as it was in late January, near the peak of Covid infections....

But adjustments for vaccinations show the rate among susceptible, unvaccinated people is 73 percent higher than the standard figures being publicized. With that adjustment, the national death rate is roughly the same as it was two months ago and is barely inching down. The adjusted hospitalization rate is as high as it was three months ago. The case rate is still declining after the adjustment....

Unvaccinated people are getting the wrong message, experts said.

“They think it’s safe to take off the mask. It’s not,” said Lynn Goldman, dean of the Milken Institute School of Public Health at George Washington University. “It looks like fewer numbers, looks like it’s getting better, but it’s not necessarily better for those who aren’t vaccinated.”

Oregon’s current surge is driven in part by a covid-19 variant known as B.1.1.7, which is 50 percent more contagious, said Tom Jeanne, a deputy state epidemiologist and a senior health adviser, in an interview.

It is characterized by outbreaks traced to social gatherings with unvaccinated people and no masks.

“They’re at very high risk for infection,” Jeanne said.

Washington state officials say they are caught between applauding the optimism that comes with vaccination and warning everyone who isn’t vaccinated that it’s still dangerous.

Unless you have a very good reason not to, please get vaccinated.  Do not suffer unnecessarily. 

Edited by Calm

With covid and the vaccines, I have found it interesting how distinct reactions have been. Age, sex, and ethnicity have all had different reactions. For me, this has shown the importance of including people of all categories in medical trials because it is very obvious, side effects affect people differently. 

I just scanned the photos of the "Witnesses" movie premiere event. A room full of people, nobody was wearing a mask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Has the pandemic gone around Utah somehow? Is wearing a mask a thing anymore in Utah? I am flabbergasted

Edited by Duncan
3 hours ago, Duncan said:

I just scanned the photos of the "Witnesses" movie premiere event. A room full of people, nobody was wearing a mask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Has the pandemic gone around Utah somehow? Is wearing a mask a thing anymore in Utah? I am flabbergasted

From what I have seen on Facebook and elsewhere over the last year and a half, wearing masks and social distancing was never a thing in Utah. 

4 hours ago, Raingirl said:

From what I have seen on Facebook and elsewhere over the last year and a half, wearing masks and social distancing was never a thing in Utah. 

Thankfully a lot wore masks, especially when mandated...though some did it poorly.  Others did not.

Most are not now, but lots are also vaccinated.

And honestly being in an enclosed room for longer than an hour....masks and social distancing aren't going to make much difference given the issue of aerosols.

Edited by Calm

From my experience, mask wearing is pretty much dead. Those who are vaccinated don’t have to and those who are not vaccinated, don’t wear them. 

Airplanes are the strictest places left. 

I’m in Colorado which had a compliant mask wearing population and with the CDC guidelines, it’s over. 

54 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

From my experience, mask wearing is pretty much dead. Those who are vaccinated don’t have to and those who are not vaccinated, don’t wear them. 

Airplanes are the strictest places left. 

I’m in Colorado which had a compliant mask wearing population and with the CDC guidelines, it’s over. 

Seeing them at doctors’ offices still, but not much else.

My pharmacist’s had a note on the door any staff not wearing a mask was vaccinated, but if a customer was uncomfortable, they would be happy to wear a mask. The screens between customer and clerks were all up as well. 

Teens can get hit hard by Covid...1/3 hospitalized are in Intensive Care.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/06/04/covid-teenagers-increasing-hospitalizations/

The study showed that nearly one-third of those teenagers hospitalized with covid-19 during a surge of cases early this year required intensive care, and 5 percent required mechanical ventilation.

While most covid-19 hospitalizations occur in older adults, severe disease that requires hospitalization has been shown to occur in all age groups. Covid-19 hospitalization rates among adolescents declined in January and February, the report said, but increased during March and April, even as hospitalization rates stabilized for those 65 and older, probably because of their higher rates of vaccination.

The study looked at 376 adolescents ages 12 to 17 who were hospitalized between Jan. 1 and March 31 and tested positive for the coronavirus. Of that total, 204 youths were hospitalized primarily for covid-19, the report said, with 31 percent admitted to an intensive care unit and 5 percent requiring invasive mechanical ventilation. None of the youths died. (The report said the other 172 hospitalized youths may have been admitted for reasons not directly related to covid-19.)

About 70 percent of the 204 adolescents hospitalized primarily for covid-19 had at least one underlying medical condition — the most common being obesity. But nearly 30 percent had no reported underlying condition, the report said, “indicating that healthy adolescents are also at risk for severe covid-19-associated disease.”

Researchers said the cumulative covid-19 hospitalization rates for the adolescents from Oct. 1, 2020, through April 24, 2021, were 2.5 to three times higher than seasonal-influenza-associated hospitalization rates during three recent flu seasons.

On 6/2/2021 at 10:18 PM, bsjkki said:

Just to put things in perspective for those who may be considering vaccinating their teens - myocarditis is more likely to happen with Covid infection than from the vaccine.
For the extremely rare case that it does happen with vaccine, it is almost always seen in males, and is mild with quick recovery.

On 6/3/2021 at 1:44 PM, Duncan said:

The mask mandate has been lifted in the state for those who are fully vaccinated, which is most people. And the incidence of the illness has dropped substantially with the vaccinations. 

38 minutes ago, Calm said:

45% have received at least one dose, which means the percentage of those who are fully vaccinated is even lower.  Yet, 95% of Utahns are no longer wearing masks it seems...

We may be in a seasonal lull and benefitting from some vaccine immunity along with natural immunity, but I predict numbers shooting up again in the fall/winter if we don’t get our vaccine numbers up much higher and if people continue to disregard mask wearing if they are not vaccinated.

Edited by pogi
5 minutes ago, pogi said:

which means the percentage of those who are fully vaccinated is even lower.

You might not be able to see the full quote which has 32% fully vaccinated. 

1 minute ago, bsjkki said:

Utah’s young population does effect percentages. Utah has distributed 86 percent of the vaccines they have received.

Definitely. Scott just made an incorrect assumption (easily done since tons of numbers are out there and stats can get mixed up) and I was giving the actual numbers. No implications or hidden meanings intended, just current stats.

It may be possible the majority of adults are vaccinated in Utah. I was going to look that up if I could but got distracted.  And I suspect that is probably what Scott meant, but he used “people”.

2 hours ago, bsjkki said:

Majority 12+ have received at least 1 shot. Very close to being a majority with two. Give it a week.

Shame, shame...my site updated today, but apparently not with the most recent data.  Good to hear it is that much closer. 

I worry though based on what I am hearing that it is going to be harder to get to the next milestone.  I haven’t heard of anyone in my small circle bothering to get their kids vaccinated yet.  Have to remember to check and see if my grandson has decided yet. 

1 hour ago, Calm said:

Shame, shame...my site updated today, but apparently not with the most recent data.  Good to hear it is that much closer. 

I worry though based on what I am hearing that it is going to be harder to get to the next milestone.  I haven’t heard of anyone in my small circle bothering to get their kids vaccinated yet.  Have to remember to check and see if my grandson has decided yet. 

I read an article about how sites going off CDC data about Utah are off. 

Some reporting snafu early on with the vaccine roll out. I then tracked down Utah’s page to get more accurate info.

Edited by bsjkki
11 hours ago, bsjkki said:

Utah’s young population does effect percentages. Utah has distributed 86 percent of the vaccines they have received.

E6FB29C1-E9C4-497E-A98A-398C34DAD50B.jpeg

11 hours ago, Calm said:

Definitely. Scott just made an incorrect assumption (easily done since tons of numbers are out there and stats can get mixed up) and I was giving the actual numbers. No implications or hidden meanings intended, just current stats.

It may be possible the majority of adults are vaccinated in Utah. I was going to look that up if I could but got distracted.  And I suspect that is probably what Scott meant, but he used “people”.

In the interest of accuracy, I will admit I was making an assumption about the prevalence of vaccinations in Utah, though it was an honest assumption stemming from my observation of the pervasiveness of vaccinations right now. But bsjkki does make an astute point about the age demographic in Utah affecting the statistics. 

My intent was to explain to Duncan why fewer masks are being seen in Utah these days. 

Just read an email from my temple presidency (Draper). No more temperature checks required or masks for those fully vaccinated. Hand sanitizing is now optional. 

We’re hoping soon to move into Phase 3, which, I presume, means open to all patrons for proxy ordinances as well as live endowments. We’re already in Phase 2B, which means the baptistry is now open to groups by appointment. 

And my shift coordinator notified us earlier this week that we’ll begin again to sing hymns in our preparation meetings and to use hymnals. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd