Covid II: Medical Info and Implications

On 6/21/2021 at 11:26 AM, Duncan said:

We had some training a few weeks ago and Elder Uchtdorf shared that he got a letter from a concerned couple in Georgia, USA that they didn't want their missionary daughter to get vaccinated because they were concerned that it would make her infertile......................So he said well, let's focus on her mission first and her fertility later and he explained the policy of the church about she decides and staying in country, among other. Can you imagine how embarassing it would be to find your folks wrote someone about your fertility?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Given what I saw in the missionary mom's group it wouldn't surprise me if there were more.  I know there were quite a few calls to the missionary department and frustration that their children would not be allowed to serve out of their own country.

Posted (edited)

Well, I got Moderna, so here’s hoping…:unsure:

My niece and grandniece getting Covid this past week and hearing it is going around their ward has chipped away at my hopeful “we are almost at the end” attitude I have been trying to keep (a lifetime of seeing medical mistakes and promises that have yet to come through has led to pessimism when it comes to most things medical…for example, we were assured that in ten years type 1 diabetes would be seeing transplants of islets of Langerhans becoming available generally and not just for those already on immune suppressant drugs…18 years later….).

Edited by Calm
1 minute ago, Calm said:

Well, I got Moderna, so here’s hoping…

My niece and grandniece getting Covid this past week and hearing it is going around their ward has chipped away at my hopeful “we are almost at the end” attitude I have been trying to keep (a lifetime of seeing medical mistakes and promises that have yet to come through has led to pessimism when it comes to most things medical…for example, we were assured that in ten years type 1 diabetes would be seeing transplants of insulin producers becoming available generally and not just for those already on immune suppressant drugs…18 years later….).

The fall will be a big test. Covid numbers were low last summer and it is seasonal so I expect rising cases later this year. 

12 hours ago, bsjkki said:

It will be interesting to see if mask recommendations by the CDC change in light of this.  I hope so.  I, for one, don't need the CDC to decide if I am going to wear a mask.   I am the only adult who still wears a mask in my ward.  I predict that numbers will continue to spike as the Delta variant continues to spread, especially among the unvaccinated, but as Israel has shown we can expect spikes in vaccinated cases as well with the Delta variant.  I have heard that hospital cases are going up as well, especially in Saint George.  What a sad thing considering that it is mostly preventable.    

1 hour ago, pogi said:

It will be interesting to see if mask recommendations by the CDC change in light of this.  I hope so.  I, for one, don't need the CDC to decide if I am going to wear a mask.   I am the only adult who still wears a mask in my ward.  I predict that numbers will continue to spike as the Delta variant continues to spread, especially among the unvaccinated, but as Israel has shown we can expect spikes in vaccinated cases as well with the Delta variant.  I have heard that hospital cases are going up as well, especially in Saint George.  What a sad thing considering that it is mostly preventable.    

My husband got the Pfizer version. He was supposed to go to a sealing and family dinner with my family that has the Covid exposure. I am wondering if I should push him to skip it.

21 minutes ago, Calm said:

My husband got the Pfizer version. He was supposed to go to a sealing and family dinner with my family that has the Covid exposure. I am wondering if I should push him to skip it.

Ya, there are a lot of tough calls.  It should all be based on personal level of risk tolerance.  I would definitely mask up if he decides to go and distance as much as possible. 

Some things to consider before deciding to attend - what kind of exposure was it?  Was it a household exposure with over 15 minutes and within 6 feet?  Any masks?  Was it within the last 10 days?  Were those exposed vaccinated?  I would assume so if they are attending (but you never now these days) , otherwise they should be on quarantine.     Those are all good questions to ask that may help you determine risk level and what you are comfortable with. 

1 minute ago, pogi said:

Was it a household exposure with over 15 minutes and within 6 feet?  Any masks?  Was it within the last 10 days?  Were those exposed vaccinated? 

Yes to all of the above, save two young adults who are not vaccinated.  Big family party plus additional exposures when helping each other out with life stuff I hear.  Very close family. 

My husband isn’t at risk much, though if he goes down, we all go down as he is holding us together.  Long Covid or damage from more severe illness would really hurt if any of us got it.  Guess I will be having that discussion, sigh. 

2 hours ago, pogi said:

Most of my friends and co-workers (as well as myself) continue to mask in public and in other circumstances. We are all vaccinated but believe it is prudent to continue taking precautions at this time. 

The one exception is one friend from church. I knew she’s an anti-vaxxer, but o was shocked when she said Covid is a hoax and doesn’t actually exist. I’m still not sure how- or if- I should respond to that.

My workplace will be re-opening after Labor Day with no restrictions other than a vaccine requirement (although it will be super easy to get an exemption). I will be working from home permanently, as well as a few other people I know. 

Posted (edited)

Pogi, official advice seeking…

My sister is visiting and staying at my brother’s.  He has tested positive for Covid, got intestinal issues…3 or 4th day.  His wife tested negative, my sister hasn’t been tested. He is consigned to the top floor, my sister and his wife take the two others.  Assuming they have the AC going though and no windows open during the day. 

She is very particular about not giving it to anyone else, so is thinking about going home as she figures she can get infected anytime as long as she stays at my brother‘s and he is still sick and then she has to add ten days after that to be sure she isn’t sick…so about the time she was going home. 

Otoh, his wife says her doctor said it was okay if she goes on a business trip in two days as long as no symptoms and she wears a mask. She is vaccinated, but so was my brother. My sister is as well.   So my sister is thinking what the heck?  Isn’t there still a big risk even if she wears a mask?  Maybe the timing isn’t what she thinks. I am thinking the doctor is just in life goes on mode, but we are wondering if maybe if you don’t get it right away, there is less a chance?

So logistically speaking, is my sister capable of being infected and not knowing it and therefore risking infecting others pretty much for as long as she shares a house with my brother plus ten days?

Edited by Calm

This is what is going on in Australia. https://www.9news.com.au/national/coronavirus-nsw-update-fairfield-covid-testing-site-early-long-lines-growing-as-three-day-work-rule-takes-effect/5e5c7ecd-9d48-4c6c-bc2a-025558d51cc4?ocid=Social-9NewsS

What is wrong with their vaccine rollout? "Mr Morrison insisted Australia's vaccination program was in good shape, with 11 per cent of the population having two doses, and he denied the Greater Sydney lockdown was a consequence of a slow rollout."

They seem 6 months behind.

STAY AT HOME ORDER
Applies to anyone in the Greater Sydney region (including the Central Coast, Blue Mountains, Wollongong, Shellharbour). You can only leave the home for the following four reasons:
  • shopping for essential items (one person only)
  • care and compassionate reasons (one visitor only)
  • exercise (in groups no more than 2 - excluding groups of household members)
  • work and education that cannot be conducted remotely
TRAVEL INTO REGIONAL NSW
Anyone required for essential reasons to travel into regional NSW must get tested weekly

GREATER SYDNEY
REGIONAL NSW
WORKERS FROM FAIRFIELD LGA
Anyone who needs to leave the Fairfield LGA for work must get tested every three days. Self-isolation not required while waiting for result
FACE MASKS
Compulsory in
- all non-residential indoor venues
- all indoor areas of common property in a residential building that is strata, community or company titled. This includes a shared foyer or lobby, lifts stairwells and corridors, shared laundry facilities. 
EXERCISE
People must stay within their LGA or within 10kms of home. No carpooling between non-household members
SHOPPING
One person per household, per day. No browsing permitted.
FUNERALS
Limited to 10 people
SCHOOLS
Home learning during lockdown period. Schools will remain open for those who need them.

18 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

What is wrong with their vaccine rollout?

No local production capability for mRNA vaccines. Astra Zeneca is being produced locally but is currently only recommended for over-60s because of the rare clotting issue. That's a big gap to fill with an imported vaccine that has to be kept at -70C and is in high demand around the world. From what I can tell, America is awash in vaccines. That simply isn't the reality in many other places.

24 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

No local production capability for mRNA vaccines. Astra Zeneca is being produced locally but is currently only recommended for over-60s because of the rare clotting issue. That's a big gap to fill with an imported vaccine that has to be kept at -70C and is in high demand around the world. From what I can tell, America is awash in vaccines. That simply isn't the reality in many other places.

Maybe somewhat like Canada’s delays? Relying on the EU and AstraZeneca? 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

From what I can tell, America is awash in vaccines.

It is a pity so many don’t realize what a blessing this is and take advantage of it

But if it is being refused here, I so wish we could somehow get it immediately to those who need it most. What a waste.  First the fear and then the turning it into medical waste.  If only we could put them on refrigerator trucks and ship them across the border. Politics stink (I realize tech issues are involved as well, in an more ideal world I think they could have been handled)

On an individual basis I hold no hard feelings against anyone who so far told me why they don’t want the shot. In a few cases where their health is bad and past experiences with vaccines have not been good or they have a complicated medical picture, I even agree with their choice. In others, I see them as poorly educated on the topic, but nobody has the time to study everything they should know or even how to figure out what deserves to be studied, so the vast majority of those lacking are unfortunate but not blameworthy in my view.   But given the utter waste of what could be literally saving lives and likely thousands of them at least, there feels something sinful in the collective refusal…but my anger is directed at those who abused the system and people’s trust for personal gain, so that now the trust is gone or misplaced. 

https://www.verywellhealth.com/expiring-doses-covid-19-vaccines-in-danger-of-waste-5189461

Globally, only 21% of the population has started the vaccination process, and less than 1% of people living in low-income countries have received a dose. In Africa, less than 3% of the population has received one dose of a COVID vaccine.

Edited by Calm
1 hour ago, Calm said:

But given the utter waste of what could be literally saving lives and likely thousands of them at least, there feels something sinful in the collective refusal…but my anger is directed at those who abused the system and people’s trust for personal gain, so that now the trust is gone or misplaced. 

You're once again far more magnanimous than I. I'm part of a small minority here who has been blessed to receive the first jab. To me, what's happening in America just feels immoral.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

You're once again far more magnanimous than I. I'm part of a small minority here who has been blessed to receive the first jab. To me, what's happening in America just feels immoral.

I find it hard to not expect dislike and even hatred of the US to increase among many who watch their loved ones die or lose their livelihoods, especially when in the midst of this pandemic, the US economy is doing well and many have even become wealthier. Politicians and even the government, I am guessing, will be seen by many as having caused distrust of the vaccine otoh while still insisting on being first in line and being able to have the option if wanted even if it means throwing away unused vaccines….and the people who voted for such leaders will not be seen kindly either. 

There is such an imbalance in the world, such corruption. 

Edited by Calm