Seriously No Politics ×

That Deadpool Poster

Here:

download.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&w=770

SALT LAKE CITY — 20th Century Fox released a new poster for “Once Upon a Deadpool” Tuesday, and the poster appears to be based on a painting that was commissioned in the 1960s by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

“The Second Coming,” by artist Harry Anderson, has been used widely in LDS church publications and reproduced for the church’s meeting houses all over the world.

According to a BYU Studies article, Anderson—a Seventh-day Adventist—painted  20 pieces for the LDS church.

Here's painting in question:

The-second-coming-Harry-Anderson-artist-

Here are the two of them side by side:

download.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&w=770The-second-coming-Harry-Anderson-artist- 

A pretty obvious riff.

Thanks,

-Smac

2 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

What is “the Deadpool” about? Anybody know? Will it be a lampooning of the restored Church of Jesus Christ?

No, I don't think the Church will be targeted for ridicule.

Deadpool is an extremely irreverent/profane comic book character.

Thanks,

-Smac

19 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

What is “the Deadpool” about? Anybody know? Will it be a lampooning of the restored Church of Jesus Christ?

This is actually advertising an edited version of the R-rated "Deadpool 2" that came out earlier this year.  So it is a PG-13 version, which, ironically, may make it more palatable to an LDS audience.  There's nothing in the movie that specifically mentions the Church, but it is so over the top profane, violent and irreverent towards everything, it is unlikely the original version of the film would ever be enjoyed by most LDS.  The poster is probably an allusion to this being the "Second Coming" of Deadpool this year, although since the movie was originally part two, this would actually be the third coming.

The framing device for the edits is to use the "telling a story" motif used in The Princess Bride film (presumably so they could "storybook" the more violent and profane parts) , and they got adult Fred Savage to come back.  Here's the trailer:

Edited by cinepro

I'll also add that if anyone is a fan of the DC and Marvel movies (and especially the DC characters) and is looking for something a little more family friendly, I highly recommend the "Teen Titans Go To the Movies" film. 

It's not just a kid's film.  There is a ton of stuff in it for fans of all ages (and kids will miss most of the references anyway).  It even has a Stan Lee cameo.

And if anyone is a Fred Savage fan, check out the show "The Grinder" (on Hulu).  It only lasted one season, but it's one of my favorite sitcoms of all time.

Edited by cinepro
Just now, cinepro said:

I'll also add that if anyone is a fan of the DC and Marvel movies (and especially the DC characters) and is looking for something a little more family friendly, I highly recommend the "Teen Titans Go To the Movies" film. 

It's not just a kid's film.  There is a ton of stuff in it for fans of all ages (and kids will miss most of the references anyway).  It even has a Stan Lee cameo.

My older boys used to watch that cartoon a few years ago and it was hilarious!  

38 minutes ago, smac97 said:

A pretty obvious riff.

Thanks,

-Smac

Maybe they will hire you to be their marketing manager ;) 

I don't know much about this movie, but it seems an attempt to make Deadpool appeal to a broader audience. I didn't watch the first 2 because the character is just too profane for my tastes, but I did find myself laughing at the trailer for this movie. Who knows? Maybe I will be able to stomach this movie - which does seem an attempt to deadpool a more conservative, religious audience.  Can I laugh at myself?

4 hours ago, cinepro said:

There's nothing in the movie that specifically mentions the Church, but it is so over the top profane, violent and irreverent towards everything, it is unlikely the original version of the film would ever be enjoyed by most LDS.  The poster is probably an allusion to this being the "Second Coming" of Deadpool this year, although since the movie was originally part two, this would actually be the third coming.

yep, so true. I'm a marvel fan and watched the first Deadpool back when vidangel would edit out the bad stuff and it was still a little to crass for me...and I like slapstick/crass humor at times.

.....that said....I'm very likely to watch this pg-13 version of deadpool. That much of a marvel fan. 

Oh.....and is it bad that I like the deadpool poster a little better than the original painting? 😬

With luv,

BD

15 hours ago, Duncan said:

What I find miraculous is seeing Fred Savage on screen again

Even so, I gather that Deadpool isn't, in any way, akin to The Wonder Years?

What? :shok: :mega_shok: 

Just asking. :blink: 

:huh: :unknw: 

15 hours ago, RevTestament said:

... Maybe I will be able to stomach this movie - which does seem an attempt to deadpool a more conservative, religious audience.  Can I laugh at myself?

I don't know.  Can you?

16 hours ago, cinepro said:

This is actually advertising an edited version of the R-rated "Deadpool 2" that came out earlier this year.  So it is a PG-13 version, which, ironically, may make it more palatable to an LDS audience.  There's nothing in the movie that specifically mentions the Church, but it is so over the top profane, violent and irreverent towards everything, it is unlikely the original version of the film would ever be enjoyed by most LDS.  The poster is probably an allusion to this being the "Second Coming" of Deadpool this year, although since the movie was originally part two, this would actually be the third coming.

The framing device for the edits is to use the "telling a story" motif used in The Princess Bride film (presumably so they could "storybook" the more violent and profane parts) , and they got adult Fred Savage to come back.  Here's the trailer:

I hate myself for laughing at this trailer.  

Just kidding.

17 hours ago, cinepro said:

And if anyone is a Fred Savage fan, check out the show "The Grinder" (on Hulu).  It only lasted one season, but it's one of my favorite sitcoms of all time.

Oh Em Gee.

I had never heard of this show before -- mainly because I haven't been a steady TV watcher for decades.  But I wish I had known about it.  If the trailer (?) above were any indication, it sounds like it would have been a fun show.

26 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

Oh Em Gee.

I had never heard of this show before -- mainly because I haven't been a steady TV watcher for decades.  But I wish I had known about it.  If the trailer (?) above were any indication, it sounds like it would have been a fun show.

It was... a demonstration in overacting.  But on the other hand, who cares.  It’s Rob Lowe. 

18 hours ago, smac97 said:

Here:

Here's painting in question:

The-second-coming-Harry-Anderson-artist-

A pretty obvious riff.

Thanks,

-Smac

Especially interesting that this painting was the one they choose as inspiration for the Dead Pool art because of the history of the COJCOLDS version of this painting.  The original version as painted by Harry Anderson, Jesus had shorter hair and some angels had wings, and the church commissioned another LDS artist to edit the painting to conform to their parameters, lengthening his hair and getting rid of the wings.  The lengthening of his hair is especially interesting with the BYU honor code, you'd think they would be happy with shorter hair.  Oh well...   

http://holyfetch.com/angels-originally-had-wings-in-lds-painting/

Edited by hope_for_things
2 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

I don't know.  Can you?

I hardly think Once Upon a Deadpool is going to be akin to The Book of Mormon Musical (which I never saw). We are seen as the ultra-conservative religious right though, so I can see that painting getting spoofed that way. Like I said, I'm not sure I will be able to stomach this movie. I'm not feeling any overt animosity towards the Church from it yet though. It seems to be poking at the religious right at large - I see nothing worth getting worked up or offended about yet. I guess time will tell. However, I doubt I will rush out to see this movie. I have no affinity for the Deadpool character. I may watch it if I still have cable at the time and it creates a ruckus...

I have seen Deadpool 2, and I can assure you all that it doesn't have anything to say about religion. The poster is just supposed to be funny and weird like the rest of the Deadpool marketing that usually doesn't have much to do with the actual contents of the movie. I doubt this PG-13 version of the movie will have anything added mocking religion because it wouldn't fit with the tone or themes of the movie.

14 hours ago, BlueDreams said:

yep, so true. I'm a marvel fan and watched the first Deadpool back when vidangel would edit out the bad stuff and it was still a little to crass for me...and I like slapstick/crass humor at times.

Yay!  Me too - sat the whole family down for Vidangel'd Deadpool.  It was an experiment to see if there was enough movie left to make sense, after you took out all the horrible and nasty.  As it turned out, there was still a plot.  It was actually a halfway sweet love story between a guy and a girl who manages to outdo him at Star Wars references. 

And there was an old black lady for some reason.  Her only line of dialogue that made it past the filter was "I miss cocaine". 

Edited by LoudmouthMormon
20 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

This is actually a PG rerelease of Deadpool 2 that came out this summer. It's more or less a vulgar parody of the X-Men. He's a long standing character in the Marvel Universe who has the abilities of Wolverine but without the claws or morals. He's also clinically insane and often is used for a comedic satire of elements of comics. It's a very funny movie, but also lots of swearing and the like. They did a bunch of reshoots to get a PG version since over the top violence was a component of the original. No references to the Church in it though. I suspect the poster was done by a Mormon who thought it'd be funny to borrow that well known image.