Ann Romney'S Clothing

Nofear

This is by no means intended to be salacious in any manner whatsoever. While watching some footage, my wife (who is a faithful latter-day saint and Democrat) noticed two instances of footage on TV of Ann Romney wearing clothing inconsistent with her wearing clothing symbolic of Ann Romney's temple covenants (see below for details). The point being is that it makes her mad. She's been willing to entertain a vote that switches party lines and that is in large part because of shared identity and moral convinction that usually comes with a candidate('s partnership) sharing the ethical values of our religion. But if perchance she isnt't keeping certain temple covenants, potentially for political expediency, that wipes out that draw of a shared ethos.

Has anybody else noticed? (I never noticed.) Can one think of a good reason for a faithful latter-day saint, wife of a former stake president, to not abide certain behaviors symbolic of her full commitment to her temple covenants? Of course we know that it is bad to judge, but this is a real puzzler.

PS: The two instances:

1) During the RNC convention on Thursday, she was seen briefly with her dress's shoulder jacket thing (heck if I know the right term for it). Her shoulders were bare.

2) Another footage of the two getting off a plane (probably this past Friday or Saturday, but not sure). She was wearing a somewhat sheer shirt and a more opaque, shoulderless undershirt.

I do not know of any good reason for anyone to wear clothing that would impinge upon the modesty that temple garments demand when worn properly. I also don't care what another does or does not do when wearing their garments; particularly those who should know better. I assume that they are more than capable of making their own decisions about their life's choices and do not need anyone else telling them how wrong they are for choosing what they have.

As an aside, I have never noticed either of the Romney's to wear such clothing, but I also live in Abu Dhabi and don't see American news except what is on CNN World News, BBC, TV5 France.

Another aside, my father-in-law, some 30 years ago, used to run marathons in jeans because he did not feel it was acceptable to remove his garments to run. I thought he was absolutely nuts. My wife made him some shorts to run in, but he thought those were too revealing. He ran in jeans. I cannot imagine how difficult that was for him. Later in his life he finally made the change to athletic gear that would accommodate his modesty. It still amazes me what some people choose to do, but as long as I don't have to follow suit, its their choice and I don't have to suffer the consequences for their choice.

This is by no means intended to be salacious in any manner whatsoever. While watching some footage, my wife (who is a faithful latter-day saint and Democrat) noticed two instances of footage on TV of Ann Romney wearing clothing inconsistent with her wearing clothing symbolic of Ann Romney's temple covenants (see below for details). The point being is that it makes her mad. She's been willing to entertain a vote that switches party lines and that is in large part because of shared identity and moral convinction that usually comes with a candidate('s partnership) sharing the ethical values of our religion. But if perchance she isnt't keeping certain temple covenants, potentially for political expediency, that wipes out that draw of a shared ethos.

Has anybody else noticed? (I never noticed.) Can one think of a good reason for a faithful latter-day saint, wife of a former stake president, to not abide certain behaviors symbolic of her full commitment to her temple covenants? Of course we know that it is bad to judge, but this is a real puzzler.

1) During the RNC convention on Thursday, she was seen briefly with her dress's shoulder jacket thing (heck if I know the right term for it). Her shoulders were bare.

2) Another footage of the two getting off a plane (probably this past Friday or Saturday, but not sure). She was wearing a somewhat sheer shirt and a more opaque, shoulderless undershirt.

I saw what your wife saw of her wearing what looked to be an almost sleeveless dress but it had just enough of a cap that she could have still worn a garment top. Maybe she was making a statement maybe not, remember the Rock Center program that showed the garments? But as you probably noticed Ann put on a little jacket for the rest of the evening. I also saw her getting off the plane with the sheer sleeves but couldn't tell if she had the g's on. She probably did. There are was to conceal them from showing. Have you ever noticed Marie Osmond's low necklines? I think it's a choice in the clothing one chooses or the priorities they put on it. I'm sure in other areas they make the important choices. Do you know what the garment use to look like? I predict the garment will continue to evolve. They already have on the top. And maybe that's the top she was wearing. The top I'm referring to does seem to be shorter sleeved and a bigger swoop on the neckline and seems to fly off the shelf at the Deseret Bookstore that I shop at.

I've not seen Ann wearing anything that would preclude the wearing of the garment... however, I've not seen all of her appearances... personally, while not judging I would still be disappointed if she chose to do so. The same way I was diappointed to see Gladys Knight give a wonderful testimony of her conversion at Women's Conference and how much she loved attending the temple, then a few months later be standing in the grocery line and see pictures on the front of the tabloids showing her in a strapless wedding dress... I thought about how many sisters were so moved by her testimony, and then to realize she made a choice to wear a strapless dress for her wedding (to a non-LDS man) instead of choosing a more modest one.

So while I don't judge such choices, it is still a disappointment.

I do understand that her husband has since converted...

GG

I saw what your wife saw of her wearing what looked to be an almost sleeveless dress but it had just enough of a cap that she could have still worn a garment top. Maybe she was making a statement maybe not, remember the Rock Center program that showed the garments? But as you probably noticed Ann put on a little jacket for the rest of the evening. I also saw her getting off the plane with the sheer sleeves but couldn't tell if she had the g's on. She probably did. There are was to conceal them from showing.

Very good points. One has to remember that there are tons of cameras there, so she might have wished to avoid situations that would allow pictures of part of her "magic underwear" to be taken.

What have we come to when we (a) blame a candidate for what his wife does; (b) assume that the photos are genuine when they could just as easily be photoshopped since they are being seen on anti-sites (mormon and romney) pretty exclusively); © fail to consider there may be a sensory issue related to the MS or even a laundry issue, that could account for it, if it is real; (d) think we have the right to judge another person? Didn't any of us HEAR Elder Uchtdorf say "STOP IT"? Each of us gets our own journey to God, and it just plain isn't helpful (and says alot about our own unwillingness to follow our own covenants) when we persist in putting down other's choices or just others because of their choices.

I think your wife is really looking for reasons not to vote for Romney. The blue dress would conceal garments which is fairly obvious, see picture 6 in the mid page slide show of Mrs. Romney and Ryan's dresses (It is Mrs. Ryan who has a sleeveless dress.). http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/30/ann-romney-janna-ryan-republican-national-convention-2012_n_1845281.html#slide=1456804

Now that it should be apparent that judgments have to be made to declare something sleeveless when it isn't, I also see zero reason to make assumptions about undergarments merely because a shirt is opaque. Utah has a thriving business of cover up tank tops and there are chemise style garment tops.

I learned my lesson about judging women many years ago when I worked with a very tall PE teacher with the longest legs I have ever seen. I, too, made the mistake of putting my nose in the judgmental air until we had a talk and she disclosed that garments were so short on her she could easily wear the standard PE clothing. I also know a woman with a long midsection that isn't covered by the garment who could easily bare her midriff... if she wanted to. We are all built differently, garments not so much.

I agree with the comment about the national showing of the worst looking garments I have ever seen. I think it is a good thing for her to show that garments aren't nearly as restrictive as they were made to look. I also think it is a sad commentary on Mormon culture when something that is a personal and private committment to covenants is turned into a trivial dress code about sleeves and knees.

This is a disappointing thread...it is no ones business and very judgmental.

I think those that are commenting about dress code are missing the mark entirely. Sis. Romney has chosen to wear things that, while modest, very much look like the symbol of her covenants are not being worn. It's certainly her peragative and only her bishop can judge. Still it's not consistent with the image being portrayed as what we expect from faithful active latter-day saints. It's a puzzle. There may well be justifiable reasons but the list of possibilities seems short and elusive. To that end responses so far have been less than helpful. :(

I think those that are commenting about dress code are missing the mark entirely. Sis. Romney has chosen to wear things that, while modest, very much look like the symbol of her covenants are not being worn. It's certainly her peragative and only her bishop can judge. Still it's not consistent with the image being portrayed as what we expect from faithful active latter-day saints. It's a puzzle. There may well be justifiable reasons but the list of possibilities seems short and elusive. To that end responses so far have been less than helpful. :(

It is meant to judge...again disappointing.

I just looked at the photo of Sister Romney in the blue dress....yes the garment sleeves would be covered! I have two kinds of garment tops...my newer ones have a cap like sleeve...my older ones more of a camisole sleeve. But either one would be covered by the cap sleeve on that blue dress! So I would say the dress is fine!

What have we come to when we (a) blame a candidate for what his wife does; (b) assume that the photos are genuine when they could just as easily be photoshopped since they are being seen on anti-sites (mormon and romney) pretty exclusively); © fail to consider there may be a sensory issue related to the MS or even a laundry issue, that could account for it, if it is real; (d) think we have the right to judge another person? Didn't any of us HEAR Elder Uchtdorf say "STOP IT"? Each of us gets our own journey to God, and it just plain isn't helpful (and says alot about our own unwillingness to follow our own covenants) when we persist in putting down other's choices or just others because of their choices.

Also she may be so busy at the moment, someone is taking care of the clothing issue for her so there may have been some missteps. There may have been some borderline choices by someone else that went the wrong way.

I was thinking about the MS myself due to me having some limitations on 24/7 wearing due to health issues especially in the heat and any humidity.

If the discussion is about this blue dress, it would easily cover the garment top, I would think. Then, she later added a jacket to it.

slide_247915_1456804_free.jpg?1346423722000

fail to consider there may be a sensory issue related to the MS

MS can contribute to heat intolerance: http://ms.about.com/od/signssymptoms/a/heat_intoleranc.htm

I could see it as quite possible that she might have had an unanticipated flareup of symptoms and needed to remove some layers to diminish the heat. It is not like she can carry around a portable air conditioner.

If the discussion is about this blue dress, it would easily cover the garment top, I would think. Then, she later added a jacket to it.

slide_247915_1456804_free.jpg?1346423722000

I think this dress covers enough in the front shot but I think it cuts in toward the back so I'm thinking she had to adjust it somehow. I'm always adjusting the front sides of my g's by my collar bone. It never fails that mine show. And I'm not wearing immodest shirts. I think I keep buying my g tops to big. They tend to run large. Also I think clothing nowadays is alot different style wise. Makes it difficult to shop.

Archived