Jump to content

Posting change ?


Recommended Posts

All that effort to be nice so people love me…gone?  How dare they? ;) 
 

We get little badges instead (I am on my phone and can’t tell what they are, so assuming it is either count or rep points).

Link to comment

The new rep posts faces...not a fan...though I guess two of them can act as negatives...which may be why no more rep point totals?

Edited by Calm
Link to comment
27 minutes ago, longview said:

I noticed that in profile you can still see the actual number of posts AND the number of "likes".

Thanks for mentioning as I hadn’t scrolled down to see the new section of “Achievements”.

Link to comment
4 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

Guess I'll post to see what symbol I get...

GG

Like @Calm, you're a Grand Master! As am I.

Edited by Stargazer
Link to comment

Has anyone else noticed the Reaction choices? We can now DOWNVOTE! Yay!

Is that a good thing, a bad thing, or did @Nemesis inadvertently allow that in unintentionally with a board software update?

Link to comment
6 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

" If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all "

Not a fan of downvotes. If a post is that bad, report it. 

I think that a downvote is designed for that vague ill-defined area where it's not bad enough to report it, but you definitely think the poster needs a smack upside da head. Like Bob Crockett is about to get one if he can't take a joke.

Edited by Stargazer
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Amulek said:

Now that the board has so many "Grand Masters," I feel like we should open a new chess forum. ;)

 

 

I just developed a new opening move. Pawn to King 4. I think it might catch on. I am quite the innovator.

Link to comment
32 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I just developed a new opening move. Pawn to King 4. I think it might catch on. I am quite the innovator.

Indeed. I'll have to ask my Sicilian friend if he can think of any way to defend against such a bold move. ;)

 

Link to comment
Just now, Amulek said:

Indeed. I'll have to ask my Sicilian friend if he can think of any way to defend against such a bold move. ;)

 

One of the classic blunders.

"Never play chess with a Sicilian when pride is on the line."

Link to comment
3 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I just developed a new opening move. Pawn to King 4. I think it might catch on. I am quite the innovator.

Nice! Never seen that one before.

An old high school friend of mine discovered an uncompleted play-by-mail chess game that got interrupted by falling out of contact about 55 years ago. He's just recently sent me his next move. I last played chess with someone who knew how to play about 40 years ago. I am going to get creamed.

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2021 at 3:31 PM, Stargazer said:

Has anyone else noticed the Reaction choices? We can now DOWNVOTE! Yay!

Is that a good thing, a bad thing, or did @Nemesis inadvertently allow that in unintentionally with a board software update?

Negative. While Reddit works differently where the system pushes up the more positive posts over the negative, I've found the real problem is that it silences people. A person can have a well thought out post that isn't mean, racist etc., but if goes against the thinking of the majority they will get a lot of down votes.  So many people stop posting what would be very good balancing opinions.  

For example there was a post about a disagreement with an adult child.  It was a situation that you really needed to hear both sides to give advice on it.  I suggested something to that affect, showing how we don't know how the parent was dealing with it and was down voted and called "boomer" because they thought I was siding with the parent.   I wasn't.  I just didn't have enough info to make a call. 

Or there was when on a covid thread there was a lot of criticism against the church and outright untruths.  I explained how our prophet was a doctor and was asking us to wear masks and distance and showing us by example. I also shared a lot of other things the church was doing to help with covid.  I got a lot of down votes and comments on that telling me these things weren't true. 

So because of down votes I am careful of what I say and where.  I don't want other people to feel they will be silenced here.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Rain said:

Negative. While Reddit works differently where the system pushes up the more positive posts over the negative, I've found the real problem is that it silences people. A person can have a well thought out post that isn't mean, racist etc., but if goes against the thinking of the majority they will get a lot of down votes.  So many people stop posting what would be very good balancing opinions.  

For example there was a post about a disagreement with an adult child.  It was a situation that you really needed to hear both sides to give advice on it.  I suggested something to that affect, showing how we don't know how the parent was dealing with it and was down voted and called "boomer" because they thought I was siding with the parent.   I wasn't.  I just didn't have enough info to make a call. 

Or there was when on a covid thread there was a lot of criticism against the church and outright untruths.  I explained how our prophet was a doctor and was asking us to wear masks and distance and showing us by example. I also shared a lot of other things the church was doing to help with covid.  I got a lot of down votes and comments on that telling me these things weren't true. 

So because of down votes I am careful of what I say and where.  I don't want other people to feel they will be silenced here.

I do see what you're saying about downvotes possibly chilling discussion, but on the other hand, negative comments that air irrational disagreements seem more likely to cause a chill, imho, and possibly trauma. A negative thing about downvotes is the mystery about why someone voted it down. I only downvote Youtube videos when I am in significant disagreement with the video. If I merely dislike it, I just don't vote it up. But I don't know if this is how other people use downvotes.

On my hobby YT channel, A Yank in Sussex, I have (so far) 12 videos posted (including the channel intro). It's a very quiet channel with (so far) just 68 subscribers, and only one of the videos has more than 600 views. How many downvotes have I ever gotten? Exactly one. So far, anyway. The video, What is Sussex? Part 2,  has 14 upvotes and 1 downvote. There are four comments on the video in question, all positive. So I have no idea why it got a downvote! Did the person dislike the whole video? Does the person hate history (the subject of the video)? No idea. Too ambiguous. 

Link to comment
46 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

I only downvote Youtube videos when I am in significant disagreement with the video.

To me, I think downvotes should be reserved for bad faith arguments. Where someone is obviously being a troll. And I mean so obvious that people on the poster’s “side” would call them out for it. 

Link to comment
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...