General Conference Speculation

I read through the thread on General Conference rumors.  Apparently there isn't anything too exiting being rumored.  But what about speculation?  What kinds of topics do we anticipate the GA's will address?  I expect to hear some talks addressing some of the big stories going on in the news.  Probably more COVID-19 stuff.   I imagine we'll have a talk or two addressing racism.  Maybe all the rioting will be addressed.  

As far as big announcements, I really don't see them making any.

Edited by Rivers
  • Like 1

I'm thinking we'll hear updates on:

- missions

- Temples

- 7 years of plenty, 7 years of famine (timing is tricky on tehis one due to 9/11, the Great Recession, etc.) but the principle of preparing and being firm in the faith when trials come is good to be reminded of

- more reframing of preisthood and women

- Perhaps the verse/quote about how natural disasters will preach after the elders/misisonaries conclude thier preaching

- The importance of remaining loyal to one' govt even if/when you disagree with some of thier actions, citing the article of faith about that. Following democratic procedures for bringing about change (looking in your direction, President Oaks :) )

- Obedience is the crux of the matter, as President Hinckley said after 9/11 (Obedience just might be the crux of all future conflicts?)

-Nothing about the Second Coming

- Perspective: How the quarantine is nothing compared to the Great Depression, serving in WWII after serving a mission, etc.

On 9/9/2020 at 8:58 PM, Rivers said:

As far as big announcements, I really don't see them making any.

There was this in the Samoa News yesterday, Sept 10, 2020, which seems poised to greet General Conference time, etc.

https://www.samoanews.com/regional/new-latter-day-saint-womens-group-targets-trump

• Like 1
On 9/11/2020 at 10:56 AM, nuclearfuels said:

- Perspective: How the quarantine is nothing compared to the Great Depression, serving in WWII after serving a mission, etc.

Do you really expect that now that the old timers, the “greatest generation” types among the Brethren, have pretty much died off? Even President Nelson, now in his 90s, is a bit too young for that. His military service was during the Korean conflict. 

• Like 1
On 9/13/2020 at 6:40 AM, Scott Lloyd said:

Do you really expect that now that the old timers, the “greatest generation” types among the Brethren, have pretty much died off? Even President Nelson, now in his 90s, is a bit too young for that. His military service was during the Korean conflict.

Good point. 

They'll probably speak about how Christ can comfort and help us through this trial and all other trials, which is true.

• Like 2
On 9/11/2020 at 12:56 PM, nuclearfuels said:

- more reframing of preisthood and women

Does this mean you don't believe the royal priesthood of believers (1 Peter 2:5,9) includes women?

Searching for Hope? At October 2020 General Conference, Truth and Inspiration Will Be Center Stage

"Regardless of your religious affiliation (or lack thereof), we invite you to make the October 2020 general conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints a part of your search for hope and peace in these troubled times. Messages of truth and inspiration will be center stage."

Can we speculate from that?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, JAHS said:

Searching for Hope? At October 2020 General Conference, Truth and Inspiration Will Be Center Stage

"Regardless of your religious affiliation (or lack thereof), we invite you to make the October 2020 general conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints a part of your search for hope and peace in these troubled times. Messages of truth and inspiration will be center stage."

Can we speculate from that?

Yes, it means things are unlikely to get better in the next few weeks.

Maybe a lot of quoting of Yeats:

Turning and turning in the widening gyre   
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere   
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst   
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.   
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out   
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert   
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,   
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,   
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it   
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.   
The darkness drops again; but now I know   
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,   
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,   
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

Then I open the church website and see an article about preparing the world for the Second Coming.

"Why do we need such resilient faith? Because difficult days are ahead." - President Nelson

Nice to have my pessimism verified. Scary too.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Yes, it means things are unlikely to get better in the next few weeks.

Maybe a lot of quoting of Yeats:

Turning and turning in the widening gyre   
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere   
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst   
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.   
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out   
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert   
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,   
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,   
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it   
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.   
The darkness drops again; but now I know   
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,   
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,   
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

Then I open the church website and see an article about preparing the world for the Second Coming.

"Why do we need such resilient faith? Because difficult days are ahead." - President Nelson

Nice to have my pessimism verified. Scary too.

Um, we have been preparing the world for the Second Coming since the dawn of the Restoration. On my mission, we would teach investigators that this is a purpose of the latter-day Church. This was in the mid-1970s. 

We are taught to be vigilant and to harken to prophecy,, and we need to heed that.  But the fact you (apparently) have just now noticed this doctrinal teaching is not in and of itself a reason to get unduly apocalyptic. 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Um, we have been preparing the world for the Second Coming since the dawn of the Restoration. On my mission, we would teach investigators that this is a purpose of the latter-day Church. This was in the mid-1970s. 

We are taught to be vigilant and to harken to prophecy,, and we need to heed that.  But the fact you (apparently) have just now noticed this doctrinal teaching is not in and of itself a reason to get unduly apocalyptic. 

NOOOOO????? REALLY??? This isn't new??? This is just like when they didn't tell me Joseph had multiple wives or about the Meadow Mountain Massacre!!! 

I just saw an advert in a game I play for BYU TV for watching conference with something like “ready for some good news?”  It was muted and I was distracted so never turned it louder, but it had several clips of President Nelson saying something and a family watch together. 

14 hours ago, The Nehor said:

NOOOOO????? REALLY??? This isn't new??? This is just like when they didn't tell me Joseph had multiple wives or about the Meadow Mountain Massacre!!! 

We could compare it to time-lapse photography. A time-lapse view of a flower budding and bursting forth into blossom is pretty dramatic. But it is far less so if we view the same thing in real time stretching over a period of days and weeks. 

Scriptural prophecies and even occasional pronouncements from living prophets tend to give us time-lapse views of what is to come. This is useful in motivating us to be diligent and methodical in our preparations, heedful of warnings, obedient to counsel, watching the “signs of the times” as it were. But we need to keep a sense of perspective between having the scenario laid out for us in advance and living it out in real time. Otherwise we may get caught up in alarmism, which, carried to its extreme, is exhibited by the “prepper” movement with their planned tent cities, hoarding of supplies and Imminent doomsday forecasts. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
  • Like 1
Just now, Scott Lloyd said:

We could compare it to time-lapse photography. A time-lapse view of a flower budding and bursting forth into blossom is pretty dramatic. But it is far less so if we view the same thing in real time stretching over a period of days and weeks. 

Scriptural prophecies and even occasional pronouncements from living prophets tend to give us time-lapse views of what is to come. This is useful in motivating us to be diligent and methodical in our preparations, heedful of warnings, obedient to counsel, watching the “signs of the times” as it were. But we need to keep a sense of perspective between having the scenario laid out for us in advance and living it out in real time. Otherwise we may get caught up in alarmism, which, carried to its extreme, us exhibited by the “prepper” movement with their planned tent cities, hoarding of supplies and Imminent doomsday forecasts. 

Don’t worry. I have no intention of joining any tent cities or hoarding masks or food or ammo unless the prophet tells me to.

3 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Don’t worry. I have no intention of joining any tent cities or hoarding masks or food or ammo unless the prophet tells me to.

I never for a moment suspected that you were. I only used this as a reductio ad absurdum illustration of what can flow from a practice of reading too much into statements from scriptures or Church leaders. 

We saw this sort of the thing in the early Utah period of Church history, when belief that the Second Coming was imminent gave rise to the now widespread folk doctrine that Church members would one day be called to load their handcarts and trek across the plains “back” to Jackson County, Mo., to build the millennial temple there. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I never for a moment suspected that you were. I only used this as a reductio ad absurdum illustration of what can flow from a practice of reading too much into statements from scriptures or Church leaders. 

We saw this sort of the thing in the early Utah period of Church history, when belief that the Second Coming was imminent gave rise to the now widespread folk doctrine that Church members would one day be called to load their handcarts and trek across the plains “back” to Jackson County, Mo., to build the millennial temple there. 

Oh course that will never happen and is quite silly.

On an unrelated note are you aware of anyone looking for a secondhand handcart. In like new condition. Just been sitting in my garage. I recently found out I probably won't need it.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, juliann said:

I have as much respect for this as flag waving LDS who insist voting for Trump is the only righteous and true way. The Ethical Women whatever group do the same thing, instead of openly declaring themselves as Democrats they hide behind "ethical," as if those with different political views aren't. I am still hoping for groups that are trustworthy rather than so blatantly partisan. Follow your conscience but don't pretend to be superior.

Strange times. I agree with you to an extent but to test the hypothesis you would have to get a grifter running for the other party to see how tied to their “ethics” they are. With movements like the Lincoln Project this is going to be a weird Autumn.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, juliann said:

I have as much respect for this as flag waving LDS who insist voting for Trump is the only righteous and true way. The Ethical Women whatever group do the same thing, instead of openly declaring themselves as Democrats they hide behind "ethical," as if those with different political views aren't. I am still hoping for groups that are trustworthy rather than so blatantly partisan. Follow your conscience but don't pretend to be superior.

There are things which are superior, such as high ethical and moral values, but everyone seems to have his own set of those, and they don't all seem to mesh very well.  Are the Bill of Rights just a matter of conscience, or can we simply jettison them whenever we feel like it?  Is the rule of law a major inconvenience, and should it be dispensed with?  Is the population in general even remotely capable of addressing such questions?  Does it even matter?

On 9/18/2020 at 7:07 PM, Robert F. Smith said:

There are things which are superior, such as high ethical and moral values, but everyone seems to have his own set of those, and they don't all seem to mesh very well.  Are the Bill of Rights just a matter of conscience, or can we simply jettison them whenever we feel like it?  Is the rule of law a major inconvenience, and should it be dispensed with?  Is the population in general even remotely capable of addressing such questions?  Does it even matter?

I don’t like Mormon Women for Ethical Government (I’m referring here to the organization, not the individuals in it or to the abstract concept of ethical government). It is irksome that they appropriate the cultural appellation “Mormon” to bolster their political and ideological agenda and that they maintain the transparently obvious falsehood that they are non-partisan. 

But I don’t see it as a Bill of Rights issue. One is free to disagree with them and call them out, which I have done candidly on occasion. 

• Like 2

Perhaps someone has mentioned this, but I just read on the Church's website that at Oct 2020 general conference... Truth and Inspiration will be center stage...

GG

EDIT... Sorry, I just read this thread from beginning and see that JAHS mentioned this in a post...

Edited by Garden Girl
  • Like 1
On 9/18/2020 at 4:31 PM, juliann said:

4 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I don’t like Mormon Women for Ethical Government (I’m referring here to the organization, not the individuals in it or to the abstract concept of ethical government). It is irksome that they appropriate the cultural appellation “Mormon” to bolster their political and ideological agenda and that they maintain the transparently obvious falsehood that they are non-partisan. 

But I don’t see it as a Bill of Rights issue. One is free to disagree with them and call them out, which I have done candidly on occasion. 

Here's a podcast you two may like to listen to. 

https://soundcloud.com/mormonland/the-thousands-of-lds-women-united-to-clean-up-politics-episode-147