Seriously No Politics ×

Time is running out

Ive been listening to Sunday morning session this morning. Two things have really stuck out.

1) President Nelson’s statement that time is running out. What does he mean?

2) Elder Christofferson’s talk on preparing for the second coming.

how do we prepare for the second coming exactly?

42 minutes ago, Avatar4321 said:

Ive been listening to Sunday morning session this morning. Two things have really stuck out.

Honesty, I'm not sure. 

Used to be have a year's supply of food

Money set aside for emergencies

Live within your financial means.

Attend the Temple

Live faithfully

President Hinckley said we shouldnt go to extremes, which I guess means don't move to the top of the Rockies and live off the grid since the Second COming is getting closer?

- - - - - - - 

I think the "Time is running out" is also like when Alma 34 said and which almost all the prophets said: Now is the time to repent.

Since we don't know when we're going to die, we shouldn't put it off. 

10 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Well watching the Our Planet series on the glacier melt is all I need to know that time is running out. 

Yes, as well as the c.auris debacle. It makes you wonder how many other secrets are out there that can wipe us out.

1 hour ago, Avatar4321 said:

D&C 112

24 Behold, vengeance cometh speedily upon the inhabitants of the earth, a day of wrath, a day of burning, a day of desolation, of weeping, of mourning, and of lamentation; and as a whirlwind it shall come upon all the face of the earth, saith the Lord.
            25 And upon my house shall it begin, and from my house shall it go forth, saith the Lord;

1 hour ago, Avatar4321 said:

I think if we take these statements as literal apocalyptic type warnings we are only going to find greater anxiety in our lives that can lead to all kinds of problems.  

1. When I think of the idea that time is running out as a metaphor, I am able to remember how important it is to be present and use good intentions in all my interactions.  There is so much going on and so many distractions in our modern world.  I like the idea of taking a deep breath and pausing and remembering that the time we have is precious and that we should use it wisely.  

2. Preparing for the coming of Jesus by seeking to embody the characteristics of Jesus more effectively in our lives and by seeking to do the works of Jesus as we feed his sheep.  This should be a literal feeding and a spiritual feeding.  This is the central ethical message of Christianity, and unfortunately we miss the mark when we focus on other things.  Treating others with love because people matter more than traditions and rules.  Caring for people, this is the fruit we should partake of, the Love of God, and it will be reflected through us as disciples.  

7 minutes ago, the narrator said:

Don't you mean since the 1st century, when Paul thought it was just around the corner?

Whatever Paul’s intent may have been, I believe the prophesied sequence is this: Christ’s mortal ministry, establishment of His Church, general and global apostasy, divine restoration of priesthood authority and keys in latter days, establishment of the latter-day Church throughout the world and the concomitant spread of general wickedness, the gathering of Israel on both sides of the veil, judgments poured out upon the wicked of all nations, and then the coming of the Lord to reign personally upon the earth. 

Hope I'm not going to be zapped for saying so, but I believe that the second coming will happen when we, on our own, destroy the planet. And to prolong the work, it will be by taking care of the planet and gaining world peace. 

Edited by Tacenda
58 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Whatever Paul’s intent may have been, I believe the prophesied sequence is this: Christ’s mortal ministry, establishment of His Church, general and global apostasy, divine restoration of priesthood authority and keys in latter days, establishment of the latter-day Church throughout the world and the concomitant spread of general wickedness, the gathering of Israel on both sides of the veil, judgments poured out upon the wicked of all nations, and then the coming of the Lord to reign personally upon the earth. 

Cool, because in his 1833 letter to Noah Saxton, Joseph seems pretty sure that it was imminent:

For there are those now living upon the earth whose eyes shall not be closed in death until they see all these things which I have spoken fulfilled

I guess the lesson we can learn from Jesus, Paul, Joseph Smith, and everyone else who proclaimed that the second coming was right around the corner is that it's mostly hyperbole and probably aint happening for a really long time if ever.

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

Hope I'm not going to be zapped for saying so, but I believe that the second coming will happen when we, on our own, destroy the planet. And to prolong the work, it will be by taking care of the planet and gaining world peace. 

How can it be when we destroy the planet when Zion needs to be established first?

3 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

Well watching the Our Planet series on the glacier melt is all I need to know that time is running out. 

The Earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

People won’t if they don’t repent and enter into Covenants in this life; unless they plan on hanging out in Spirit Prison and having someone do their work for them in the Temple. Pres Nelson mentioned that in General Conference as well, and implied it was foolish.

Thus time is running out.

Who cares about the stupid glaciers. They’ll be renewed. Or melt at the Second Coming.

16 minutes ago, Burnside said:

The Earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

People won’t if they don’t repent and enter into Covenants in this life; unless they plan on hanging out in Spirit Prison and having someone do their work for them in the Temple. Pres Nelson mentioned that in General Conference as well, and implied it was foolish.

Thus time is running out.

Who cares about the stupid glaciers. They’ll be renewed. Or melt at the Second Coming.

A belief in an imminent eschaton does not justify willful disregard for God's creation.

13 minutes ago, CA Steve said:

If the glaciers melt at the second coming, I have dibs on some beach front property in Denver.

For good fun, map the proposed Desert Ranch city project in Florida on top of a map of expected coastal changes in Florida following the climate change-induced rise to sea levels.

According to Pres. Packer we have plenty of time.

Maybe Pres. Nelson was speaking personally.  He is in his 90s.

But it was nice to be reminded our religion is a millennialist last days one.

3 hours ago, Tacenda said:

So my plan to become a Bond villain and kick of World War III is actually a righteous endeavor.....NICE!

4 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I'm not going to zap you, but you are wrong... :) 

54 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

So my plan to become a Bond villain and kick of World War III is actually a righteous endeavor.....NICE!

What choo talkin bout Willis? I meant to say, if we take care of the planet and prevent World War lll that would give some time to further the work through missionary work, right? I guess I left out that part. And I think a lot would probably welcome the Second Coming but shouldn't they want to do more missionary work? 

2 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

How can it be when we destroy the planet when Zion needs to be established first?

Note what I just responded to Nehor, I totally didn't make my point clear to some of you,  hope I cleared it up. 

34 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

What choo talkin bout Willis? I meant to say, if we take care of the planet and prevent World War lll that would give some time to further the work through missionary work, right? I guess I left out that part. And I think a lot would probably welcome the Second Coming but shouldn't they want to do more missionary work? 

I am ready for the world to burn even if it means I burn. I want a better world.