Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Time for a Richmond VA Temple


Recommended Posts

Posted

So the DC Temple is closing for a few years, for renovation. 

This leaves Philly as the closest Temple.

Naturally then, I need to know what has to happen in Richmond, VA in order for us to get a Temple there.  I'd be happy to pay tithing in that stake and transfer my records there, though I won't be moving there.

Raleigh, NC Temple is 172 miles south of Richmond, VA but still... 

I think there's a certain critical mass of Melchezidek Priesthood holders who pay a full tithe that are needed; any of you know the exact numbers?

Since my stake is also getting a new Stake Presidency in a month or so, a General Authority or two are coming to visit. President Nelson visited us 2 years ago, last time this happened.

Instead of asking the General Authorities if any discussions about redefining celestial marriage (in the way it was originally practiced in the Church) and why Church HQ isn't sovereign like Catholic Church HQ, I'd like to ask: Other than moving to Richmond, how can we help a Temple be built there?  

Before asking that, all you experts surely can help guide me in my preparation

Posted

TBH I see other places getting a Temple before Virginia, although it would be nice for the Saints there. I'm thinking India and a few other places

Posted
1 hour ago, nuclearfuels said:

So the DC Temple is closing for a few years, for renovation. 

This leaves Philly as the closest Temple.

Naturally then, I need to know what has to happen in Richmond, VA in order for us to get a Temple there.  I'd be happy to pay tithing in that stake and transfer my records there, though I won't be moving there.

Raleigh, NC Temple is 172 miles south of Richmond, VA but still... 

I think there's a certain critical mass of Melchezidek Priesthood holders who pay a full tithe that are needed; any of you know the exact numbers?

Since my stake is also getting a new Stake Presidency in a month or so, a General Authority or two are coming to visit. President Nelson visited us 2 years ago, last time this happened.

Instead of asking the General Authorities if any discussions about redefining celestial marriage (in the way it was originally practiced in the Church) and why Church HQ isn't sovereign like Catholic Church HQ, I'd like to ask: Other than moving to Richmond, how can we help a Temple be built there?  

Before asking that, all you experts surely can help guide me in my preparation

If you have $30M - $50M to pony up for a new temple, thats about what they cost these days.  

Posted
22 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Do they take checks?

The rumor is that in the case of the Newport Beach, CA Temple, yes, they took checks.  (Newport Beach is a very affluent area filled with LDS who didn't like driving up to west LA).

Posted
1 hour ago, cinepro said:

The rumor is that in the case of the Newport Beach, CA Temple, yes, they took checks.  (Newport Beach is a very affluent area filled with LDS who didn't like driving up to west LA).

Who would want to have to smell or even rub shoulders with the unwashed Neanderthals in West LA?

Posted

Well not sure Richmond can "pull a Newport Beach"-

Layton, Syracuse, and Farmington UT though - only a matter of time until one of those gets a Temple, right? 

Posted
19 minutes ago, nuclearfuels said:

Well not sure Richmond can "pull a Newport Beach"-

Layton, Syracuse, and Farmington UT though - only a matter of time until one of those gets a Temple, right? 

My Temple district has only 1 Stake and 1 district, so I don't even know what to think anymore!!!! hahahaha!

If Richmond did get a Temple how many stakes would go there and how many would go to the DC one?

Posted
7 hours ago, Duncan said:

My Temple district has only 1 Stake and 1 district, so I don't even know what to think anymore!!!! hahahaha!

If Richmond did get a Temple how many stakes would go there and how many would go to the DC one?

I can tell you that there are 3 stakes in the metro Richmond area and 3 in the Newport News/Norfolk/Va Beach area. A temple in Williamsburg would be central to those 6 stakes and be quite a draw for tourists (visitors center maybe).

Posted
On 2/20/2018 at 6:29 AM, nuclearfuels said:

So the DC Temple is closing for a few years, for renovation. 

This leaves Philly as the closest Temple.

Naturally then, I need to know what has to happen in Richmond, VA in order for us to get a Temple there.  I'd be happy to pay tithing in that stake and transfer my records there, though I won't be moving there.

Raleigh, NC Temple is 172 miles south of Richmond, VA but still... 

I think there's a certain critical mass of Melchezidek Priesthood holders who pay a full tithe that are needed; any of you know the exact numbers?

Since my stake is also getting a new Stake Presidency in a month or so, a General Authority or two are coming to visit. President Nelson visited us 2 years ago, last time this happened.

Instead of asking the General Authorities if any discussions about redefining celestial marriage (in the way it was originally practiced in the Church) and why Church HQ isn't sovereign like Catholic Church HQ, I'd like to ask: Other than moving to Richmond, how can we help a Temple be built there?  

Before asking that, all you experts surely can help guide me in my preparation

I have driven from Richmond to Raleigh...it is quite a drive really..but another Temple??

Posted

The DC Temple closing announcement has driven up attendance so much in these past few weeks that you often have to park at the nearby DC Stake center (the SP tragically died recently from carbon monoxide poisoning in his home).  With all the temples now built on the east coast, it's rare to see the once common sight of charter buses in the parking lot.  With the Raleigh temple closed due to mold, it would be nice to have another temple nearby. Depending on the beltway traffic, it may be quicker for northern Virginians to go to Richmond than to to DC temple.

Posted
On 2018-02-22 at 10:04 AM, Duncan said:

My Temple district has only 1 Stake and 1 district, so I don't even know what to think anymore!!!! hahahaha!

If Richmond did get a Temple how many stakes would go there and how many would go to the DC one?

Hmmm! Intriqing! Cardston? 

Posted
34 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Hmmm! Intriqing! Cardston? 

think east of Cardston, west of Kenora! and it's in Regina

Posted
On 2018-02-25 at 11:17 PM, Duncan said:

think east of Cardston, west of Kenora! and it's in Regina

I have visited that Temple! Petite but perfect.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...