Seriously No Politics ×

This is what i was taught as an EV, a loooooong time ago. The difference is it was linked to the Battle of Armageddon, the clean up of the bodies and blood being described as as deep a bridle on a horse and takes years to clean up. I wish I could remember the verses that links them, perhaps in Joel and Revelation?

The Supper of the Great God: Revelation 19:17-21, which has to do with the Second Coming and the destruction of the wicked.

I prefer (being a wicked man myself) that the wicked of the earth be destroyed through repentance with a chance to finish mortality with a good life instead of getting dispatched to the spirit world!

We have been asked to increase faith in the earth – this too will destroy the wicked without their having to face the abomination of desolation whether or both in this world or the next (D&C 88:85; https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bd/abomination-of-desolation).Hopefully the tribulations that are part of the signs of the end times will accomplish just that as the wicked awake and repent (D&C 88:87-onward).

(the seven years is Gog and Magog -- http://classic.scriptures.lds.org/en/ezek/39/9#9)

The Supper of the Great God: Revelation 19:17-21, which has to do with the Second Coming and the destruction of the wicked.

I prefer (being a wicked man myself) that the wicked of the earth be destroyed through repentance with a chance to finish mortality with a good life instead of getting dispatched to the spirit world!

We have been asked to increase faith in the earth – this too will destroy the wicked without their having to face the abomination of desolation whether or both in this world or the next (D&C 88:85; https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bd/abomination-of-desolation).Hopefully the tribulations that are part of the signs of the end times will accomplish just that as the wicked awake and repent (D&C 88:87-onward).

(the seven years is Gog and Magog -- http://classic.scriptures.lds.org/en/ezek/39/9#9)

Thanks! it says 7 months to bury the dead.

12 And seven months shall the house of Israel be burying of them, that they may cleanse the land.

Perhaps I am way off on this one, but it seems to me that the entire doctrines of the LDS church are eschatological. We believe, at least as I have been taught, that the very reason for the Restoration was the impending return of the Savior to cleanse the earth. Everything we do, everything we believe is about preparing for the events of these days, and seeing those signs given in not only Biblical sources, such as Daniel, Isaiah, Matthew, and Revelations but further ones described in the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants. 

I believe Ezra Taft Benson pointed out that the events described in the Book of Mormon leading up to Christ's visit to the Americas are a type of the events we can expect to see in our own day as we move closer to the Second Coming. 

I am clear as to what eschatology is (and I'm a life-long Mormon) but I am also pretty convinced that everything in the COJCLDS is eschatological. 

For people who want a tutor I recommend the Holy Ghost.

For people who ask me a specific question that I know the answer to, when I feel comfortable answering it, I try to do that with the caveat that they should ask God to confirm it to them

Edited by Ahab

Now that I have had a day to calm done and think, I would like to apologize for becoming heated, and discuss what I believe was behind my becoming upset.

It seems when eschatology is brought up among LDS, that they mock and guffaw at the ideas of people who are trying to tie last days events with scriptural prophecy, seeming to be content dismissing other's sincere ideas with offering any alternative view.

So my questions are:

Do LDS have a cohesive and comprehensive view of eschatology? 

If so, what are those?

What alternative ideas can you offer to those who's views you just dismissed as crazy?

It's all speculation about a volume which is probably not even "translated correctly" (ie: transmitted from the original authors correctly through thousands of years of scribal additions subtractions, multiplications and divisions.)

Why speculate on what is unknowable? It's like worrying about if the moon is really made of green cheese or roast beef.

fergitaboutit

Edited by mfbukowski

The LDS hardly think prophecy and the signs of the times are "crazy."

http://LDSLastDays.com

I hope we are all familiar with these words of the Lord and with his predictions concerning other coming events, such as the building of the new Jerusalem and the redemption of the old, the return of Enoch's Zion, and Christ's millennial reign.    Not only do I hope that we are familiar with these coming events; I hope also that we keep the vision of them continually before our minds. This I do because upon a knowledge of them, and an assurance of their reality and a witness that each of us may have part therein, rests the efficacy of Christ's admonition, "be not troubled." 
(Marion G. Romney, Conference Report, p.52, October 1966)

Now that I have had a day to calm done and think, I would like to apologize for becoming heated, and discuss what I believe was behind my becoming upset.

I must have missed something, because I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Apology accepted anyway... :search:

It seems when eschatology is brought up among LDS, that they mock and guffaw at the ideas of people who are trying to tie last days events with scriptural prophecy, seeming to be content dismissing other's sincere ideas with offering any alternative view.

So my questions are:

Do LDS have a cohesive and comprehensive view of eschatology? 

If so, what are those?

What alternative ideas can you offer to those who's views you just dismissed as crazy?

First, whose views were dismissed as crazy? And what were those views? (Can you offer a link perhaps?)

I don't read many LDS writings on eschatology, if there is much of such a thing, but from my own study over the years, I have come to the conclusion that a sizable proportion of latter-day prophecy was fulfilled in the events just prior to and just during the early days of the Restoration.

Edited by hagoth7

Pretty much any theory any non-LDS has put forward.

We are to be found watching, not with our heads buried in the sand....

I have actually gleaned what I am fully confident are valuable truths from a number of studies and writings done from others outside of Mormonism. Joseph said it would be that way, and that it was our duty to gather up all the truths we could, or we wouldn't come out true Mormons.

Edited by hagoth7

Who says it is unknowable?

Think that through. What is the point of debating what the Lord has told you personally?

I have actually gleaned what I am fully confident are valuable truths from a number of studies and writings done from others outside of Mormonism. Joseph said it would be that way, and that it was our duty to gather up all the truths we could, or we wouldn't come out true Mormons.

the point is you can't debate private revelation.

the point is you can't debate private revelation.

Revelation 14:12 "Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus."

Robert...

I wish I could say I had that Scripture in mind...but in a way, its kind of cool to stumble into it by accident too. Heh.

Rory

I must have missed something, because I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Apology accepted anyway... :search:

First, whose views were dismissed as crazy? And what were those views? (Can you offer a link perhaps?)

I don't read many LDS writings on eschatology, if there is much of such a thing, but from my own study over the years, I have come to the conclusion that a sizable proportion of latter-day prophecy was fulfilled in the events just prior to and just during the early days of the Restoration.

Halleluyah.  I need a witness.

When the Conference Center was built or shortly after, Pres. hinckley referred to a comment by President Brigham Young who saw a future building with trees and rivers on its top.

When the Nauvoo Temple was rebuilt, Pres. Hinckley referred to a statement by Joseph Smith who said he saw in vision the Temple lit up at night.

When the Gila Valley Arizona Temple was being dedicated, it was mentioned that a local leader in the 1870s had prophesied of a Temple being built in that valley.

You who believe or mock that our Priesthood Leaders are not "prophesying" of the last days are likely not paying attention.

When the Conference Center was built or shortly after, Pres. hinckley referred to a comment by President Brigham Young who saw a future building with trees and rivers on its top.

When the Nauvoo Temple was rebuilt, Pres. Hinckley referred to a statement by Joseph Smith who said he saw in vision the Temple lit up at night.

When the Gila Valley Arizona Temple was being dedicated, it was mentioned that a local leader in the 1870s had prophesied of a Temple being built in that valley.

You who believe or mock that our Priesthood Leaders are not "prophesying" of the last days are likely not paying attention.

CFR

CFR

This I do know—there should be a Temple built here. I do know it is the duty of this people to commence to build a Temple. Now, some will want to know what kind of a building it will be. Wait patiently, brethren, until it is done, and put forth your hands willingly to finish it. I know what it will be. I am not a visionary man, neither am I given much to prophesying. When I want any of that done I call on brother Heber—he is my Prophet, he loves to prophesy, and I love to hear him. I scarcely ever say much about revelations, or visions, but suffice it to say, five years ago last July I was here, and saw in the Spirit the Temple not ten feet from where we have laid the Chief Cornerstone. I have not inquired what kind of a Temple we should build. Why? Because it was represented before me. I have never looked upon that ground, but the vision of it was there. I see it as plainly as if it was in reality before me. Wait until it is done. I will say, however, that it will have six towers, to begin with, instead of one. Now do not any of you apostatize because it will have six towers, and Joseph only built one. It is easier for us to build sixteen, than it was for him to build one. The time will come when there will be one in the center of Temples we shall build, and, on the top, groves and fish ponds. But we shall not see them here, at present.

(The Temple Cornerstones—The Apostleship, &c.  A Sermon by President B. Young, Delivered in the Tabernacle, Great Salt Lake City, April 6, 1853, at the General Conference. Reported By: G. D. Watt.)

The vision of a new hall was clearly in mind. Various architectural schemes were studied. One was finally selected. It included a massive structure to seat 21,000 with a theater accommodating another thousand. There would be no interior pillars to obstruct the view of the speaker. There would be trees and running water on the roof.

Ground was broken July 24, 1997, the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first pioneers in this valley. That was an historic event.

We did not know it at the time, but in 1853 Brigham Young, in speaking of temples, said, “The time will come when … we shall build … on the top, groves and fish ponds” (Deseret News Weekly, 30 Apr. 1853, 46).

In 1924 Elder James E. Talmage of the Council of the Twelve wrote, “I have long seen the possible erection of a great pavilion on the north side of the Tabernacle, seating perhaps twenty thousand people or even double that number, with amplifiers capable of making all hear the addresses given from the Tabernacle stands, and in addition to this a connection with the broadcasting system, with receivers in the several chapels or other meeting houses throughout the intermountain region” (journal of James E. Talmage, 29 Aug. 1924, Special Collections and Manuscripts, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah).

In 1940 the First Presidency and the Twelve had their architect draw up a plan of a building that would seat 19,000 and would stand where this building stands. That was 60 years ago. They thought about it, they talked about it, but finally they dropped the idea entirely.

These statements and actions were wonderfully prophetic. We knew nothing about them. All of them have come to our attention since we began this construction.

We have not built a temple with trees and fishponds on the roof. But on this edifice we have many trees and running water. Brigham Young may have foreseen this structure very near the temple. We have what Brother Talmage thought of, and much, much more. These services will not only be heard by all who are seated in the Conference Center, they will be carried by radio, television, and cable, and they will be transmitted by satellite to Europe, to Mexico, to South America. We reach far beyond the intermountain area of which Brother Talmage spoke. We reach beyond the confines of the United States and Canada. We essentially reach across the world.
(Gordon B Hinckley, CR, 

Debate doesn't interest me. Edifying study and discussion does. This does.

See above for clarification.... :acute:

OK, well then you can't study or discuss private revelation. It's private. How can you know if my toe hurts?

Not to mention temples overlooking the Pacific, as does the LA temple