Seriously No Politics ×

General Conference Rumors

1 hour ago, 10THAmendment said:

I have a friend of a friend who is adamant that there is a tithing change coming this weekend. It supposedly has to do with how 10% is defined (pre-expense vs. post expense).

Has anyone heard this or any other rumor? 

No but we pay post expenses. It's the only way we can contribute. 

Edited by rodheadlee

I had a borderline sovereign citizen buddy.  He would work for cash, then convert the cash into US Gold eagle coins.   Earning ~80k would get him ~50 of these:

2023-early-issue-proof-us-gold-coins_G23_a_Main.jpg?sw=575&sh=575

See how it says "$50 dollars" on the coin?  So dude earned 50 gold coins, each bearing the face value of $50, so he made $2500.  He'd pay his $250 tithing for the year, and then the bishop didn't renew his temple recommend because he wasn't a full tithe payer.

8 minutes ago, LoudmouthMormon said:

He'd pay his $250 tithing for the year, and then the bishop didn't renew his temple recommend because he wasn't a full tithe payer.

The bishop generally takes the member's declaration at their word on whether they are a full tithe payer or not (unless the members are a husband and wife team named Ananias and Sapphira, and in that case watch out!)

By the way, I have joked with family about instituting a 'tithing voucher' program for those who have gone the extra mile. You know, something like - "Bro. Vanguard, in recognition of your tireless service in helping to clean the chapel, visit your ministering assignments, and working at the soup kitchen, we grant you this tithing voucher good for skipping one month's worth". ; ) Do you know the things we could do with one month's worth of tithing? Oh, the places you'll go! ;o

31 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

But isn't a house mortgage or rent a major expense too?

Sure. I don't have that expense right now. I pay slip rent where I park my boat but we're not living on it right now. I'm living at my dad's house he's 90. They are not going to give me a temple recommend anyways because I smoke cigarettes.

Edited by rodheadlee
26 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

By the way, I have joked with family about instituting a 'tithing voucher' program for those who have gone the extra mile. You know, something like - "Bro. Vanguard, in recognition of your tireless service in helping to clean the chapel, visit your ministering assignments, and working at the soup kitchen, we grant you this tithing voucher good for skipping one month's worth". ; ) Do you know the things we could do with one month's worth of tithing? Oh, the places you'll go! ;o

Sign me up!

16 minutes ago, Rain said:

Sign me up!

As is classic with Vanguard-family thinking, we inevitably will push the envelope even further. The next program I would institute if I were prophet would be the 'sin voucher' program. You can imagine... ;o

NOTE: By the way and on a loosely-related note, it's a treat when I hear one or more of my 3 children (22, 20, and 16 yros) exclaim - "Dad, I can't believe how much I think like you!". Ahhhh, pure bliss. ; ) 

23 minutes ago, rodheadlee said:

Sure. I don't have that expense right now. I pay slip rent where I park my boat but we're not living on it right now. I'm living at my dad's house he's 90. They are not going to give me a temple recommend anyways because I smoke cigarettes.

No worries. I would grant you a 'smoking voucher' if I were in charge! ;o

19 hours ago, LoudmouthMormon said:

I had a borderline sovereign citizen buddy.  He would work for cash, then convert the cash into US Gold eagle coins.   Earning ~80k would get him ~50 of these:

2023-early-issue-proof-us-gold-coins_G23_a_Main.jpg?sw=575&sh=575

See how it says "$50 dollars" on the coin?  So dude earned 50 gold coins, each bearing the face value of $50, so he made $2500.  He'd pay his $250 tithing for the year, and then the bishop didn't renew his temple recommend because he wasn't a full tithe payer.

At current prices, a one ounce American Eagle gold coin is worth $1996.00

https://silvergoldbull.com/american-gold-eagles

Earning 50 one ounce gold coins is really earning about $100,000 - unless the bank
gave the boss a gold coin for only $50 and then the boss was foolish enough to pay
it out to the employee for the face value.

Edited by marineland

President Nelson is going to give a directive that no longer can the phrase "it will all be worked out in the next life" be used in talks, lessons, discussions etc. as an excuse for not be able to explain complicated scenarios, especially with sealing messes caused by divorce and remarriage.