Seriously No Politics ×

Discovery of Previously Unknown Document Authored by Joseph Smith

2 hours ago, smac97 said:

Interesting:

So it sounds like it has no particular historical or doctrinal import.  Nevertheless, I admire the commitment by those running JSPP to "gather together all extant Joseph Smith documents" and publish them to the world.

Criticisms about whitewashing/hiding our history are becoming less significant as time goes by and the Church improves in this regard.

Thanks,

-Smac

Phew!

Glad that historians have once again proven that the church is still true!!

17 minutes ago, JAHS said:

... ETA they even show the backside of the document

image.png.084bcb6e875660ac7c314aa81ab69529.png

Well!  I never! <_<  Of all of the places to see a backside!  I never thought I'd see one at Mormon Dialogue and Discussion! :D :rofl: :D 

Ahem!  Yes ... well ... carry on! ;) 

6 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Well!  I never! <_<  Of all of the places to see a backside!  I never thought I'd see one at Mormon Dialogue and Discussion! :D :rofl: :D 

Ahem!  Yes ... well ... carry on! ;) 

You are the comedic side kick to a lot of posts on here Ken! ;) 😄

6 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

You are the comedic side kick to a lot of posts on here Ken! ;) 😄

Cue rimshot!  Thanks!  You're a great audience.  I'll be here all week.  Try the chicken.  It's delicious! ;):D 

4 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Not trying to be critical since I do believe the Church is improving and the JSPP is absolutely awesome.

But the improvements are in the scholarly community.  They're available for the average member to read but only if they research.  Where the improvements are really needed are in Church.  The lesson manuals etc are so dumbed down and simplified that learning varies radically ward to ward based on if the teachers bother to research elsewhere.

So unless the average member goes looking for the scholarship the problem of an uninformed membership remains.

So needed!

49 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Not trying to be critical since I do believe the Church is improving and the JSPP is absolutely awesome.

But the improvements are in the scholarly community.  They're available for the average member to read but only if they research.  Where the improvements are really needed are in Church.  The lesson manuals etc are so dumbed down and simplified that learning varies radically ward to ward based on if the teachers bother to research elsewhere.

So unless the average member goes looking for the scholarship the problem of an uninformed membership remains.

I was thinking you were being a bit over critical because there was Saints and revelations in context, but they are not actually linked to the lessons, are they?

12 minutes ago, Calm said:

I was thinking you were being a bit over critical because there was Saints and revelations in context, but they are not actually linked to the lessons, are they?

But they are!  

For example, here's one from the lesson on Doctrine and Covenants section 76 from the 2021 Come Follow Me manual:

"See Saints, 1:147–50; “The Vision,” Revelations in Context, 148–54."

Thank you!  I must just have been unlucky and chosen a few lessons without them (or was having problems registering what I was reading which is always possible) when I went to double-check my memory they were attached. I was very disappointed. Now I am not. :) 

23 minutes ago, Calm said:

Thank you!  I must just have been unlucky and chosen a few lessons without them (or was having problems registering what I was reading which is always possible) when I went to double-check my memory they were attached. I was very disappointed. Now I am not. :) 

That was one lesson that I knew there was a Revelations in Context article on that topic.  There's not a Revelations in Context article for every single lesson topic of course, but if you do it in reverse by looking at the Revelations in Context articles, you'll find that the lesson that covers the particular D&C section(s) listed at the top of the article also has a reference to Revelations in Context in the lesson material for Individuals and Families.  I didn't see it referenced as often in the Sunday School version of Come Follow Me, however.

But I think there is a Saints reference in every single lesson in the Individuals and Families manual.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2022 at 10:24 AM, smac97 said:

Criticisms about whitewashing/hiding our history are becoming less significant as time goes by and the Church improves in this regard.

If the Church is improving in this regard, then it needed to improve. That the Church needed to improve means that at some level it was whitewashing/hiding parts of its history.

58 minutes ago, Thinking said:

If the Church is improving in this regard, then it needed to improve. That the Church needed to improve means that at some level it was whitewashing/hiding parts of its history.

The word "needed" is dependent on each individual's point of view and opinion. I don't think it was needed, but having it all is.... interesting, as Spock would say.

5 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I wondered what those of you would say about the new narrative, or is it new or changed or added or ?

The Joseph Smith Papers Project has a page on the multiple accounts since 2013. The temple square visitors centre has been combining the multiple accounts for a while, and the various first hand first vision accounts were put in the gospel library for the Doctrine and Covenants Come Follow Me lessons (or possibly before, not sure when they were added).

As far as social media, it's a shift from focussing solely on the 1838 account, but the 1838 version is still the one we have in the PoGP and spoken of most of the time, even if the others are in church published material.

17 hours ago, Craig Speechly said:

I find it interesting that despite the name of the church having been changed in 1838 Smith still used the old previous name of the Church of Latter Day Saints in June of 1839.

on "older" chapels here at least they have the old way of the Church's name, which they changed in the mid 90's sometime! someone should look into that!

On 11/8/2022 at 8:51 AM, smac97 said:

Way back in the 1990s, I returned from my mission and found that my dad had purchased "LDS Infobases," a collection of Church history/doctrine publications and materials originally published in 1993 (with perhaps other iterations published earlier than that).  I was amazed at having access to something like 1,800 books on these discs, all searchable! 

I dearly loved my Infobases CD!  When I got active again and they had me teaching the Gospel Essentials class, I'd spend an hour doing topical searches on that program in preparation.  I didn't want to just read from the manual, without knowing a little about what the heck I was talking about.   I continued to use it well past the invention of the internet.

In some ways, it continues to be superior to many search functions offered by many church resources.  Especially (and painfully so), the abysmally unforgivably tragically horrible search function of the church's current Library app:

Kpea9Ej.jpeg

(Search ran yesterday.  The secret, btw, is the KJV spells it "neighbour".  For lack of a 'u', the truth was lost.  😒 )

Edited by LoudmouthMormon