Covid II: Medical Info and Implications

2 hours ago, strappinglad said:

Masks and glasses are problematic. My glasses fog up .That tells me I am losing breath out the top and probably the sides of my mask, which is one of those accordian style masks. I find , however , if I pull the glasses lower down on my nose, they don't fog up. So what if I look like an old grandpa. That is what I am. ! 

Using masks with a bendable nose piece may help.  Also ones with adjustable loops or even better head bands for a better, tighter fit....thus forcing breath through filter.  A bit harder to breath but safer with transmission.  I would like to my source with is consumerlabs.com, but it is a fee service, well worth it btw.

Another double digit death day today in Utah, with 14 more deaths.  

That is 4 double digit death days in Utah in November, so far.  0 before November. This is no fluke. 

Positive test rates are now at 23.5%!!!  Now, nearly 1 in 4 who test are positive.  

The 2,150 cases reported today is artificially low.  There were data system technical difficulties.  The rest of the positive results from today will be reported tomorrow, which will then be artificially high. 

Edited by pogi
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, pogi said:

Positive test rates are now at 23.5%!!!  Now, nearly 1 in 4 who test are positive. 

With mandatory testing?  Are test numbers going up dramatically?  Are the tests prone to false positives?  These are current infections and not antibodies from past, right?

I called my mom’s former assisted living place today (paperwork).  They were doing Covid testing, apparently without any cases. Is this mandatory now in care facilities?  Good if so, just curious if I missed the memo. 

My husband is mandatory weekly working at UVU. I hope students take advantage of it, but they go all online at Thanksgiving anyway, thank goodness. 

Edited by Calm
27 minutes ago, Calm said:

With mandatory testing?  Are test numbers going up dramatically?  Are the tests prone to false positives?  These are current infections and not antibodies from past, right?

I called my mom’s former assisted living place today (paperwork).  They were doing Covid testing, apparently without any cases. Is this mandatory now in care facilities?  Good if so, just curious if I missed the memo. 

My husband is mandatory weekly working at UVU. I hope students take advantage of it, but they go all online at Thanksgiving anyway, thank goodness. 

False positives are very rare.  False negatives are more likely.  Test numbers are definitely going up, but the bad news is that so are the positive test rates.  That means community spread is terribly out of control and it is WAY more wide spread than these numbers indicate.  I think testing protocol varies by facility and work-place.  College kids/staff attending weekly in person classes are the only ones I'm aware of who are government mandated to test weekly. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, pogi said:

Another double digit death day today in Utah, with 14 more deaths.  

That is 4 double digit death days in Utah in November, so far.  0 before November. This is no fluke. 

The 2,150 cases reported today is artificially low.  There were data system technical difficulties.  The rest of the positive results from today will be reported tomorrow, which will then be artificially high. 

Have they started any early treatments for high risk groups? What is the protocol for therapeutics?

Edited by bsjkki
  • Upvote 1
44 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

Have they started any early treatments for high risk groups? What is the protocol for therapeutics?

I am not up-to-date with hospital treatment protocol.  Good question though. 

Our stake president got covid, he himself hasn't said tickety-boo about it but his wife has. I had a meeting, online, with him earlier, looked fine, sounded normal. They have like 7 or 8 kids, I hope it works out for them. He's early 40's, work sat a hospital.

• Upvote 1

EDH:

Moderna's vaccine is almost 95 percent effective, according to early trial data. The biotechnology company Moderna announced Monday morning that preliminary data from its phase 3 trial showed its vaccine candidate (mRNA-1273) to have a high success rate of 94.5 percent. This first interim analysis was based on 95 cases: 90 cases of COVID-19 were observed in the placebo group and 5 cases observed in the mRNA-1273 group. Anthony Fauci, MD, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), said, “It’s just as good as it gets; 94.5 percent is truly outstanding,” according to CNN.

While on politfact.org, the article appeared to avoid politics for the part I saw and does a good job about detailing where the vaccine progress is (has a list of potential vaccines and current state) as well as description of distribution protocols, etc. Pfizer may be ready earlier, but Moderna can be kept at warmer temps so may be better for rural and other places were instability is an issue:

https://www.politifact.com/article/2020/nov/16/moderna-and-pfizer-vaccines-covid-19-what-you-need/

2 hours ago, Calm said:

While on politfact.org, the article appeared to avoid politics for the part I saw and does a good job about detailing where the vaccine progress is (has a list of potential vaccines and current state) as well as description of distribution protocols, etc. Pfizer may be ready earlier, but Moderna can be kept at warmer temps so may be better for rural and other places were instability is an issue:

https://www.politifact.com/article/2020/nov/16/moderna-and-pfizer-vaccines-covid-19-what-you-need/

Moderna also has a higher efficacy rate and is stable in a normal fridge for 30 days. Huge benefits over the pfizer vaccine. Plus, it seems to have less side effects. Too bad they both require two doses.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, bsjkki said:

Moderna also has a higher efficacy rate and is stable in a normal fridge for 30 days. Huge benefits over the pfizer vaccine. Plus, it seems to have less side effects. Too bad they both require two doses.

Either will work so grab whichever one comes your way first! Which may be a moot point since they will be assigned on a priority population basis over the first six months of 2021.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rain said:

Pogi - are you seeing any covid positive people with only pink eye symptoms?

I didn’t know pinkeye was a Covid thing until my brother tested positive.  He had a really bad case of pinkeye. Doc ordered Covid test. He developed other symptoms later, but pinkeye was the first. 

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Rain said:

Pogi - are you seeing any covid positive people with only pink eye symptoms?

I have only seen a few cases who report pink eye (like 3 or 4 out of thousands).   It seems to be very rare, and we can't be certain if it is even related, but possibly.  I don't think I have had any cases where that was the only symptom, but it is hard to remember for sure.   

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
43 minutes ago, Raingirl said:

I didn’t know pinkeye was a Covid thing until my brother tested positive.  He had a really bad case of pinkeye. Doc ordered Covid test. He developed other symptoms later, but pinkeye was the first. 

How much later did he develop the other symptoms?  Like a day or 2 later or a week or more?

9 minutes ago, Rain said:

How much later did he develop the other symptoms?  Like a day or 2 later or a week or more?

It was about a week. No longer than that. It was a really miserable case of pinkeye. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Rain said:

4 hours ago, Raingirl said:

It was about a week. No longer than that. It was a really miserable case of pinkeye. 

It's like, totally trippy to have Rain talking to Raingirl on the same thread! :blink::shok: (Is anyone else tripping out?  No?  I'm the only one.  OK! ;))

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Raingirl said:

https://www.ophthalmologytimes.com/view/coronavirus-pink-eye-symptoms

Interesting.  It looks like your brother backs up this report.

"What is interesting in this case, and perhaps very different to how it had been recognized at that specific time, was that the main presentation of the illness was not a respiratory symptom. It was the eye," Carlos Solarte, an assistant professor of ophthalmology at the University of Alberta, said in a press release.

Edited by pogi
  • Upvote 1

A friend's brother is in an ICU on a ventilator. Almost did not get one. If he had not had a cousin that worked in one of the hospitals he may not have. This was in El Paso which has a very disproportionately high number of the cases in Texas.

@pogi  someone on my facebook says Utah is so overwhelmed that the health department is only contacting "immediate household members" of those who test positive for covid.  She says it is "stupid" because "if someone tested positive in my household we would already know."  

She lives near Park City.  She is not fighting against covid prevention.  She is just confused why these are the people contacted and not others.

Do you know anything about this? 

7 hours ago, pogi said:

https://www.ophthalmologytimes.com/view/coronavirus-pink-eye-symptoms

Interesting.  It looks like your brother backs up this report.

Yep, that sounds like my brother.

His doctor seemed to really be on top of things. Perhaps because of his heart attack earlier this year and being on life support. He’s weathering Covid much better than I thought he would, given that. 

• Upvote 1