Seriously No Politics ×

Covid II: Medical Info and Implications

More than 80 percent of COVID-19 patients have vitamin D deficiency, a study found. A new investigation published in in the Endocrine Society's Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism found that over 80 percent of 200 COVID-19 patients in a hospital in Spain have vitamin D deficiency. The research adds to growing evidence that vitamin D may help protect against the virus. Another study out of Spain published in August in theJournal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology suggested the nutrient may help treat the virus. A September report presented in JAMA Network Open indicated that the risk of testing positive for the disease was 1.77 times higher for people with a vitamin D deficiency compared with those with sufficient levels of vitamin D.

EDH

Go out and get some sun as much as you can if safe ways (during summer earlier or later 11-4 iirc).  Even overcast will get you some. Go short sleeve and shorts if possible. Bare your skin

Or get to your doc to be tested and take the appropriate amount of supplements.

4 minutes ago, Rain said:

"The worst case scenario is a new pandemic, starting all over again out of Denmark," director at the State Serum Institute, Kare Molbak, said. The new strain showed diminished sensitivity towards antibodies, he added. 

"That's why we have to take this extremely seriously," Molbak said

I didn’t realize the mink industry was still that big, 17 million in Denmark alone.   That is going break some hearts.  (The breeders, don’t really care about those who want to wear mink).

Sorry, Canda, this is sounding too familiar.  (Ignore politics in the link please, it is the current state of the spread, etc I am talking about)

Given the issues in Europe and now Canada, Americans don't appear to be quite so exceptional.  I am getting more of a human behaviour is pretty consistent in the end across groups vibe.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-second-wave-bigger-wider-more-politicized-1.5786805

Now will East Asia be able to keep levels down or will they succumb as well (India has high numbers, there is too much variation to clump them all together though I am still in the bait of doing so).

Maybe this is too political while I am thinking cultural.  I will delete it if anyone, and I mean anyone thinks it crosses the line into politics.

Info on South Asia:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-53420537

Cultural attitudes contribute to differences in Covid control...this article mentions a few things I haven’t seen discussed:

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/07/asia-china-singapore-vietnam-covid19-coronavirus-government/

Edited by Calm
6 hours ago, Rain said:

So this new strain might make a vaccine more difficult. https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Denmark-finds-covid-strain-that-might-hamper-15701598.php

"Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen told reporters that, because of developments in Denmark, there is now "a risk that the effect of a future vaccine will be weakened or, in a worst case scenario, be undermined," during a virtual press briefing on Wednesday."

58 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

So this new strain might make a vaccine more difficult. https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Denmark-finds-covid-strain-that-might-hamper-15701598.php

"Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen told reporters that, because of developments in Denmark, there is now "a risk that the effect of a future vaccine will be weakened or, in a worst case scenario, be undermined," during a virtual press briefing on Wednesday."

It is understandable why extreme measures are going to be taken. 

Shock and surprise...what does Australia credit its zero new cases rate to?  You will never guess.  Contact tracking!  Shocking!

Australia has almost eliminated the virus with no new cases on Thursday. A story in the Washington Post Thursday details how Australia — a nation of 26 million — is close to eliminating community transmission of the coronavirus. The country recorded no new cases on Thursday. With cases almost nonexistent, Australians have resumed normal life. For example, almost 40,000 spectators gathered for Sydney’s rugby league grand final and the Sydney Opera House has reopened. Experts attribute the country’s success to coordinated efforts of rapidly building systems to track down and isolate outbreaks and measures to tightly seal borders early on.

EDH

2,987 positive cases in Utah today.

17 deaths (our last record was 10 deaths on November 1st).

The positive test rate is at 19.7%!!! (that means that nearly 1 in 5 who test are positive!)

All 3 of these are new shattering records.  We are not used to having over 2,000 cases/day.  We are not used to double digit deaths. 

About 76% of Utah's ICU beds are filled as of Friday.  This doesn't really give an accurate representation of the problem because we don't even have enough nursing staff to fill max capacity of ICU beds.  We are nearing max capacity. 

With these numbers (especially the 19.7% and nearing ICU capacity) we are stepping over the precipice into dark days ahead.  Just in time for the Holidays and family/friend gatherings, unfortunately.

This needs to be a team effort.  We can only defeat this when the entire community makes it their civic duty to do their part to reduce community spread.  Just because you don't have symptoms doesn't mean you aren't potentially spreading it.  If everyone acted as if they had the virus and were contagious while out in public, this would go away very quickly.  Wear your mask (even with your extended family and friends).  The time for questioning is over.  Limit social events.  Small groups.  Social distance, even with extended family and friends.  Order take-out instead of dining in. etc. etc. etc.

As hospitals reach max capacity and contingency plans are implemented, deaths will go even higher. 

Yes, I am raising the alarm.  It is past time to fight this thing.  That requires all of us.  This is for real.   

"Whether or not you believe that masks work, whether or not you believe we even have a pandemic at the moment, please just respect other people — respect their freedom to not get sick,"

https://www.ksl.com/article/50044253/24-year-old-new-mom-on-ventilator-with-covid-19

Edited by pogi

I am not trying to downplay this disease.  The increase in cases is something to be concerned with.  That being said, spikes in deaths happen some days.  Generally the more telling stat is the average deaths per day over time.  Utah is at 5 deaths per day average, which is among the lowest in the country.  It has been at about 5 per day for the last month.  It was about the same back in June and July.  It dipped in August and then came back up.  The death rate in Utah continues to drop and is the second best in the country.

My son-in-law is an ER nurse in Layton and their hospital is not overrun.  He says things are very manageable right now.  I guess it depends on where you are.  Maybe deaths will get worse but, for now, the average per day has remained steady.

28 minutes ago, T-Shirt said:

I am not trying to downplay this disease.  The increase in cases is something to be concerned with.  That being said, spikes in deaths happen some days.  Generally the more telling stat is the average deaths per day over time.  Utah is at 5 deaths per day average, which is among the lowest in the country.  It has been at about 5 per day for the last month.  It was about the same back in June and July.  It dipped in August and then came back up.  The death rate in Utah continues to drop and is the second best in the country.

My son-in-law is an ER nurse in Layton and their hospital is not overrun.  He says things are very manageable right now.  I guess it depends on where you are.  Maybe deaths will get worse but, for now, the average per day has remained steady.

I think it also depends on where you are in the hospital, not just in the state.  I have heard in the past some medical professionals saying things are not so bad in their hospital, but they weren't involved with covid cases where those departments were over run. I would think though with your son being in the ER that he would have more of an idea of how that hospital is doing verses someone in another department.

1 hour ago, T-Shirt said:

We just broke the record amount of deaths in a single day twice in a single week.  That to me is a warning signal of a potential shift in trend. 

11/6 - 17 deaths

11/5 - 7 deaths

11/4 - 6 deaths

11/3 - 6 deaths

11/2 - 0 deaths

11/1 - 10 deaths

This looks like the beginning of trend above 5 deaths/day to me.  Remember that deaths are a lagging indicator.  As hospitalizations and cases rise, so to will deaths.  Deaths will follow the same trend upwards, it just takes longer, but I think we are beginning to see the beginnings of the expected and anticipated upward trend.  You can't escape it.  You can't expect the death count to stay the same as cases explode upwards.  It is not logical.  The fatality rate is still the same - so as cases trend up, so too will deaths.  It is simple math.  We seem to have a lower fatality rate in Utah, but deaths will trend up as the case numbers trend up (which they are).  When hospital ICU's reach capacity, then they will spike even more. 

The below chart is for Utah:

image.png.71586e7d243e9a6ca813fffa689f8472.png

Edited by pogi
8 minutes ago, Rain said:

I think it also depends on where you are in the hospital, not just in the state.  I have heard in the past some medical professionals saying things are not so bad in their hospital, but they weren't involved with covid cases where those departments were over run. I would think though with your son being in the ER that he would have more of an idea of how that hospital is doing verses someone in another department.

The ICU is where we are most concerned about right now.  

31 minutes ago, T-Shirt said:

My son-in-law is an ER nurse in Layton and their hospital is not overrun.

Davis or Intermountain?  If the latter, do they do critical care?  How many ICU beds do they have?  A lot of the smaller hospitals send to the larger ones from what I am reading and do so on a regular basis, so there might not be much difference outside of the extra care with PPC and maybe extra paperwork.

The average deaths per day in Utah has bounced between 4 and 6 since the beginning of October.  Other than a slight dip in August, it has remained pretty steady since the beginning of July.  I'm not making up numbers, they  are official statistics. The deaths per day may go up still, but so far, they've remained pretty steady.  In addition, Utah has a rather low number of ICU beds per capita.  I would guess part of that has to do with the fact that Utah has the youngest population in the country and has better overall health.  I recognize that more people are in the hospital and that is not good and concerning.  

48 minutes ago, Calm said:

Davis or Intermountain?  If the latter, do they do critical care?  How many ICU beds do they have?  A lot of the smaller hospitals send to the larger ones from what I am reading and do so on a regular basis, so there might not be much difference outside of the extra care with PPC and maybe extra paperwork.

He's at Intermountain.  These are very good questions for which I don't currently know the answers.  We just hear from our daughter when she talks about her husband.  If I get a chance, I'll look into it.  Maybe you know.

2 minutes ago, T-Shirt said:

He's at Intermountain.  These are very good questions for which I don't currently know the answers.  We just hear from our daughter when she talks about her husband.  If I get a chance, I'll look into it.  Maybe you know.

A couple we hang out with's husband works at Layton Hospital and I'm always asking if it's getting crazy yet, and he says it isn't yet. But that was a few weeks ago. 

27 minutes ago, T-Shirt said:

The average deaths per day in Utah has bounced between 4 and 6 since the beginning of October.  Other than a slight dip in August, it has remained pretty steady since the beginning of July.  I'm not making up numbers, they  are official statistics. The deaths per day may go up still, but so far, they've remained pretty steady.  In addition, Utah has a rather low number of ICU beds per capita.  I would guess part of that has to do with the fact that Utah has the youngest population in the country and has better overall health.  I recognize that more people are in the hospital and that is not good and concerning.  

I am not claiming that you are making anything up.  I know that the death/day has been very low - but so too have total cases, hospitalizations, and positive test rates.  Those are all trending up higher than ever before.  Deaths will natural follow the same curve.  As I pointed out, I think we are seeing the beginnings of that.   We have had 2 record days in a single week.  We have never had double digit days before...ever  We hit 10 and 17! in 6 days.  That says something.  We currently have a 7 day running average of 7 deaths per day.  A 6 day running average of nearly 8.  That is the highest it has ever been. 

Edited by pogi

EDH:

possible preventative, needs human testing. 

Nasal spray protects ferrets from coronavirus. A small study published this week in bismall study published Thursday in bioRxivhas found that a nasal spray can completely block the absorption of the coronavirus in ferrets. The investigation, which has yet to be peer-reviewed, explains how a lipopeptide (a cholesterol particle linked to a chain of amino acids) attacks the virus. “These lipopeptides are highly stable and nontoxic and thus readily translate into a safe and effective intranasal prophylactic approach to reduce transmission of SARS-CoV-2,” concluded the study authors. The next step in terms of research will be to test the spray in humans.

2,956 more cases in Utah today (nearly matching yesterday’s record).  19.9% positive test rate (record high for a 7 day average) with 9 more deaths.  That puts us at a 7 day average of 7.8 deaths/day (also a record).  Also, another record for hospitalizations today.

Edited by pogi

EDH:

Working in an office may double your risk. Research published in the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report found that employed adults who tested positive for COVID-19 were almost twice as likely to report going regularly to the workplace than those who tested negative. “Where telework options are not feasible, worker safety measures should continue to be scaled up to reduce possible worksite exposures,” concluded study authors.

EDH

A woman remained infectious for up to 70 days. A study published Wednesday in the journal Cell found that a female immunocompromised patient with leukemia was shedding infectious SARS-CoV-2 up to 70 days after being diagnosed with the virus. The result is much longer than previous reports of hospitalized adults shedding the virus up to 20 days after diagnosis. “Our data suggest that long-term shedding of infectious virus may be a concern in certain immunocompromised patients,” concluded the authors.

At least 2,000 animals have been tested for COVID-19. An investigation by Kaiser Health Newsshowed that scientists in the United States have tested at least 2,000 animals for coronavirus, including cats, dogs, zoo animals, dolphins, anteaters, and armadillos. The conclusion so far: Animals mostly have mild symptoms and there’s limited evidence that animals are transmitting the virus to people.

EDH:

The virus affects blood vessels throughout the body. An investigation by NPR reviewed scientific evidence showing how the coronavirus damages arteries, veins, and capillaries throughout the human body, from head to toe

I am not providing a link with EDH quotes anymore as you can go to the reports that are being summarized by clicking on the links embedded in the quote. 

Hospitalizations continue to climb and recovered patients are returning. More than 50,000 people are now in the hospital with complications due to COVID-19, according to CNN. Associated Press figures show that Missouri, Oklahoma, Iowa, Indiana, Nebraska, North Dakota, and New Mexico have all tallied record high hospitalizations this week.

Jacksonville, Florida hospitals are also following a nationwide upward trend and one area nurse told WJCT News Friday that patients are returning to the hospital after they’ve gone home and tested negative. “Their lungs are so scarred that they're still having to come in because they can't breathe. I don't feel like we know what the lasting effects of COVID are yet, so it's a problem, a big problem.” 

https://news.wjct.org/post/covid-hospitalizations-rise-jacksonville-nurse-says-recovered-patients-are-returning

And it turns out on occasion EDH, does not include links in the specific summary, I will try and be sure to get ones for those.