smac97 Posted February 5, 2020 Posted February 5, 2020 Here: Quote An intruder was shot and killed by police at the Brazil Missionary Training Center for The Church of Jesus Christ Latter-day Saints Wednesday morning. According to a statement by Nei Garcia, the Brazil area director of public affairs for the Church, the man entered the building in São Paulo armed with a knife. Security guards detained him near the reception desk. Once police arrived, the man allegedly tried to attack the officers. He was shot and later died from his injuries. No missionary or MTC staff were harmed, according to Garcia. More here: Quote A man was shot and killed by police after he tried to enter a Latter-day Saint missionary center in Brazil Wednesday morning, according to an emailed statement from a spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The man entered the Missionary Training Center in Sao Paulo, Brazil, with a knife and was detained by security guards near the reception desk until police arrived. "At some point, when the intruder attempted to attack police, he was shot and killed by police," Brazil area director of public affairs Nei Garcia said in the statement. I am sad to hear that the man was killed. However, I am grateful he was stopped. Thanks, -Smac 2
Thinking Posted February 5, 2020 Posted February 5, 2020 It sounds like the MTC security handled everything appropriately. It's too bad the man decided to go after the police officers. 2
Ahab Posted February 5, 2020 Posted February 5, 2020 We're all going to die sometime and I can think of worse ways to go. I wonder what his reception was like on the other side of the veil, considering there were likely some good spirits in that temple then who would be there to greet him. And I wonder how long it will take for somebody to do his ordinance work for him, and when it is done if it will be done in that temple. Just some thoughts that came to my mind because of where he died, a place where we do ordinance work for those who are dead. Kind of like dieing in a hospital, a place where we usually come into this world as we are born from where we came from. When I die I wouldn't mind if it was while I was in a temple. I wouldn't want to be shot or stuck with a knife while there, as the cause of my death, but it would be a good place to go when it is my time to go.
RevTestament Posted February 5, 2020 Posted February 5, 2020 Wow. Never like seeing anyone get killed, but it does sound like the guards acted entirely appropriately in stopping this man. However, I would like to know why he was so upset that he was willing to attack the police, and I hope that other would-be attackers get the message that they cannot just walk into Church facilities thinking of doing harm to someone.
Bill “Papa” Lee Posted February 5, 2020 Posted February 5, 2020 3 minutes ago, Duncan said: Yikes! The “Yikes”, comes, or came when Mother’s found out that their children were in danger at all. Father’s of course will be angry, but a place like this being endangered at all, is very worrisome! We live in a world where the threat of violence is real almost everywhere, and the call for people NOT to be able to protect themselves is growing even faster. 2
CV75 Posted February 5, 2020 Posted February 5, 2020 There are more appropriate ways to express one's desire to be a missionary. 1
HappyJackWagon Posted February 5, 2020 Posted February 5, 2020 21 minutes ago, Ahab said: We're all going to die sometime and I can think of worse ways to go. I wonder what his reception was like on the other side of the veil, considering there were likely some good spirits in that temple then who would be there to greet him. And I wonder how long it will take for somebody to do his ordinance work for him, and when it is done if it will be done in that temple. Just some thoughts that came to my mind because of where he died, a place where we do ordinance work for those who are dead. Kind of like dieing in a hospital, a place where we usually come into this world as we are born from where we came from. When I die I wouldn't mind if it was while I was in a temple. I wouldn't want to be shot or stuck with a knife while there, as the cause of my death, but it would be a good place to go when it is my time to go. Such a truly weird comment. 2
Ahab Posted February 5, 2020 Posted February 5, 2020 21 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said: Such a truly weird comment. That was just a little bit of what I thought of. I thought of other things too but I didn't share those thoughts because I didn't want to flip anyone out, or at least not too much. Hard for me to gauge how much to share sometimes.
MustardSeed Posted February 5, 2020 Posted February 5, 2020 (edited) 51 minutes ago, Ahab said: We're all going to die sometime and I can think of worse ways to go. I wonder what his reception was like on the other side of the veil, considering there were likely some good spirits in that temple then who would be there to greet him. And I wonder how long it will take for somebody to do his ordinance work for him, and when it is done if it will be done in that temple. Just some thoughts that came to my mind because of where he died, a place where we do ordinance work for those who are dead. Kind of like dieing in a hospital, a place where we usually come into this world as we are born from where we came from. When I die I wouldn't mind if it was while I was in a temple. I wouldn't want to be shot or stuck with a knife while there, as the cause of my death, but it would be a good place to go when it is my time to go. There are young impressionable people living countries away from home for the first time in their lives, and parents are hearing about this and are no doubt having a hard time with this news, and the young people are no doubt heavily impacted by this event today, and This is your response? I’m a bit suspicious of your motive, I’ll admit. Edited to say I just saw your post to Happy. Ok. Edited February 5, 2020 by MustardSeed
MustardSeed Posted February 5, 2020 Posted February 5, 2020 FWIW perhaps we could eliminate the In The News category. It’s hard to know where to start looking for these posts. I can’t be clicking here AND there for goodness sake, I’m a busy person. ;) 2
Ahab Posted February 5, 2020 Posted February 5, 2020 2 minutes ago, MustardSeed said: There are young impressionable people living countries away from home for the first time in their lives, and parents are hearing about this and are no doubt having a hard time with this news, and the young people are no doubt heavily impacted by this event today, and This is your response? I’m a bit suspicious of your motive, I’ll admit. Edited to say I just saw your post to Happy. Ok. Just sharing my thoughts. No need to make a mountain out of a molehill. For anyone paying attention: The man is in a better place now and he was in a good place when he died. If you know anyone who can do his temple work for him, let them know so they can do it. Death is not the end of us and this man may yet someday qualify for celestial glory. 1
The Nehor Posted February 5, 2020 Posted February 5, 2020 1 hour ago, Ahab said: We're all going to die sometime and I can think of worse ways to go. I wonder what his reception was like on the other side of the veil, considering there were likely some good spirits in that temple then who would be there to greet him. And I wonder how long it will take for somebody to do his ordinance work for him, and when it is done if it will be done in that temple. Just some thoughts that came to my mind because of where he died, a place where we do ordinance work for those who are dead. Kind of like dieing in a hospital, a place where we usually come into this world as we are born from where we came from. When I die I wouldn't mind if it was while I was in a temple. I wouldn't want to be shot or stuck with a knife while there, as the cause of my death, but it would be a good place to go when it is my time to go. Weird and bad reading comprehension. He was at an MTC, not a temple. 2
Ahab Posted February 5, 2020 Posted February 5, 2020 7 minutes ago, The Nehor said: Weird and bad reading comprehension. He was at an MTC, not a temple. I consider any place dedicated to the service of our Lord to be a temple. Even our bodies. And chapels. Maybe even this board, if I were to think so. The temples you were thinking of are dedicated for a specific purpose, but those are not our only temples.
Popular Post The Nehor Posted February 5, 2020 Popular Post Posted February 5, 2020 (edited) 6 minutes ago, Ahab said: I consider any place dedicated to the service of our Lord to be a temple. Even our bodies. And chapels. Maybe even this board, if I were to think so. The temples you were thinking of are dedicated for a specific purpose, but those are not our only temples. Somehow I knew you would say that. You seem incapable of conceiving that you are wrong so you just make up new word definitions to show you are right. Of course you are wrong because chapels are actually brothels and this board is actually a stegosaurus named Stanley. Edited February 5, 2020 by The Nehor 6
Ahab Posted February 5, 2020 Posted February 5, 2020 1 minute ago, The Nehor said: Somehow I knew you would say that. You seem incapable of conceiving that you are wrong so... ... I have you to tell me I am wrong because you think I am. Nice to have you around. Where would I be and what would I think without you. 1 minute ago, The Nehor said: you just make up new word definitions to show you are right. No I don''t just make up definitions. I simply use words with definitions that already exist to suit my own purposes/reasons for using those words. 1 minute ago, The Nehor said: Of course you are wrong because chapels are actually brothels and this board is actually a stegosaurus named Stanley. At least I am right when I show how eccentric I am. You, not so much, but keep working on it and you may eventually get there.
Thinking Posted February 5, 2020 Posted February 5, 2020 18 minutes ago, Ahab said: I consider any place dedicated to the service of our Lord to be a temple. Even our bodies. And chapels. Maybe even this board, if I were to think so. The temples you were thinking of are dedicated for a specific purpose, but those are not our only temples. Nice try Ahab. I guess that MTC will eventually be used for temple ordinance work. 1 hour ago, Ahab said: And I wonder how long it will take for somebody to do his ordinance work for him, and when it is done if it will be done in that temple. 1
Scott Lloyd Posted February 5, 2020 Posted February 5, 2020 1 hour ago, Ahab said: We're all going to die sometime and I can think of worse ways to go. I wonder what his reception was like on the other side of the veil, considering there were likely some good spirits in that temple then who would be there to greet him. And I wonder how long it will take for somebody to do his ordinance work for him, and when it is done if it will be done in that temple. Just some thoughts that came to my mind because of where he died, a place where we do ordinance work for those who are dead. Kind of like dieing in a hospital, a place where we usually come into this world as we are born from where we came from. When I die I wouldn't mind if it was while I was in a temple. I wouldn't want to be shot or stuck with a knife while there, as the cause of my death, but it would be a good place to go when it is my time to go. It was in the Missionary Training Center, not the temple. 1
Scott Lloyd Posted February 5, 2020 Posted February 5, 2020 42 minutes ago, MustardSeed said: FWIW perhaps we could eliminate the In The News category. It’s hard to know where to start looking for these posts. I can’t be clicking here AND there for goodness sake, I’m a busy person. ;) I never post in “In the News” anymore. If I want my post to get attention — which is always — I’ll put it in “general.”
Duncan Posted February 5, 2020 Posted February 5, 2020 I had read that he had been an instructor there last year but had mental health issues 2
Scott Lloyd Posted February 5, 2020 Posted February 5, 2020 Apparently the police there don’t mess around.
Ahab Posted February 5, 2020 Posted February 5, 2020 14 minutes ago, Thinking said: Nice try Ahab. I guess that MTC will eventually be used for temple ordinance work. Thank you. I gave it my best shot. Unless maybe I meant that temple which is in Brazil for those people. Yeah, that's probably what I was thinking of when I wrote that.
strappinglad Posted February 5, 2020 Posted February 5, 2020 You don't mess with the police in Brazil. The tendency is to shoot first and ask questions….questions!!! we don't need no stinkin' questions! That said, the police there deal hourly with some very dangerous people and giving the least benefit of the doubt can be deadly. 1
MiserereNobis Posted February 5, 2020 Posted February 5, 2020 45 minutes ago, The Nehor said: Somehow I knew you would say that. You seem incapable of conceiving that you are wrong so you just make up new word definitions to show you are right. Of course you are wrong because chapels are actually brothels and this board is actually a stegosaurus named Stanley. I'm quite fond of Stanley. Brothels, too...
Ahab Posted February 5, 2020 Posted February 5, 2020 2 minutes ago, strappinglad said: You don't mess with the police in Brazil. The tendency is to shoot first and ask questions….questions!!! we don't need no stinkin' questions! That said, the police there deal hourly with some very dangerous people and giving the least benefit of the doubt can be deadly. When I think of how close someone with a knife needs to be before someone feels justified in shooting them, my mind races back to how far the guy with the sword was when Indiana Jones shot him. I think it's not just the fact that someone has a knife or a sword that justifies shooting them, it's also about seeing the look in their eyes and their attitude when wielding that weapon. They don't have to be close to be able to throw it in a heartbeat.
Recommended Posts