Seriously No Politics ×

Sealings can be done right away now!

This is a good thing for sure.

I can't help but wonder if it's the first step in separating the legal wedding and the temple sealing.

The letter doesn't indicate that, but if civil weddings can be done the same day as temple sealings it would be an easy switch to flip in the future if needed.

I wonder if sealing will come to mean something different than legal marriage. 

This for the purpose of legal protection for gay and whatever else may come in the future marriages that are protected by law. 

Get married.  But be sealed for eternity to families through temple ceremony.  Meaning if you are simply sealed, you are not married legally.  Like, you’d have to present a legal wedding document in order to get sealed. 

Edited by MustardSeed
46 minutes ago, Rain said:

Nice! A friend of mine (in the USA) was married civilly and then in the temple some two months later. This was a couple of years ago (they were both previously endowed, if that made a difference). He said this was the trend -- civil marriage permitted soon before a temple sealing -- and that this would be par for the course eventually.

We are happy as well. My daughter is of marriage age and has worried about in the future not having loved ones there.

The wording is interesting to me:

"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced Monday that a civil marriage between a man and a woman will no longer necessitate waiting a year for that couple to be to married (or sealed) in a temple. "

Are we saying some couples will do civil marriages and then temple marriages, but not sealings?  I know temple marriages without sealings happen, but didn't know there was a wait after civil marriages nor did I ever hearing anyone wanting to do both without the sealing.

Edited by Rain
22 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

I wonder if sealing will come to mean something different than legal marriage. 

This for the purpose of legal protection for gay and whatever else may come in the future marriages that are protected by law. 

Get married.  But be sealed for eternity to families through temple ceremony.  Meaning if you are simply sealed, you are not married legally.  Like, you’d have to present a legal wedding document in order to get sealed. 

This will be interesting to watch.

I know a lot of the young women I work with will be thrilled at the thought of having a civil wedding (not covering their wedding dresses up and experiencing their  Dad’s walk them down the aisle).  

Weddings have become a huge social media event too (and the engagement).  

I imagine at first these wedding will be discouraged (maybe not?).  But eventually they very well could become the norm with a trip to the temple later.  We will see.

40 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

This is a good thing for sure.

I can't help but wonder if it's the first step in separating the legal wedding and the temple sealing.

The letter doesn't indicate that, but if civil weddings can be done the same day as temple sealings it would be an easy switch to flip in the future if needed.

And completely stopping a marriage happening in the temple, will make it so the dreaded (in their eyes) gay marriage will never occur. 

37 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Welp, that is it. The Church is now apostate. Time to pack it in. I am off to Vegas to hire a hooker.

That was you knocking at my door?  Small world

30 minutes ago, JulieM said:

This will be interesting to watch.

I know a lot of the young women I work with will be thrilled at the thought of having a civil wedding (not covering their wedding dresses up and experiencing their  Dad’s walk them down the aisle).  

Weddings have become a huge social media event too (and the engagement).  

I imagine at first these wedding will be discouraged (maybe not?).  But eventually they very well could become the norm with a trip to the temple later.  We will see.

I think this will be the end result as time goes on.  I know many of the youth will opt for a civil wedding with all the frills if they have that choice.  Especially if they can still have the experience of a temple sealing close to when they marry.  I agree about the social media.  They love to post pictures of everything.

Edited by ALarson
39 minutes ago, CV75 said:

Nice! A friend of mine (in the USA) was married civilly and then in the temple some two months later. This was a couple of years ago (they were both previously endowed, if that made a difference). He said this was the trend -- civil marriage permitted soon before a temple sealing -- and that this would be par for the course eventually.

My nephew is getting married in three weeks (in the USA).  Much of his family will be excluded from the ceremony because they are not temple recommend holders.  Both he and his bride are endowed and wanted to be sealed but were told that a civil wedding would require a one year wait to be sealed.