Seriously No Politics ×

Bill Hamblin Has Passed Away

Hamblin, William J.

william-hamblin.jpg

William James Hamblin was a Mormon apologist and professor of history at Brigham Young University when this was written. He is a former board member of the Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies at BYU. Brother Hamblin received his bachelors degree in history from BYU. He did his graduate studies from the University of Michigan, receiving an M.A. in history in 1981, an MA in Near East Studies in 1984, and a PhD in history in 1985. The title of his Dissertation was The Fatimid Army During the Early Crusades. Prior to joining the faculty of BYU in 1989, Brother Hamblin was a history professor at the University of Southern Mississippi, an instructor at Campbell University and a middle east intelligence analyst for the United States Department of Defense. Brother Hamblin contributed many articles to The International Military Encyclopedia.Brother Hamblin lives in Provo, Utah with his wife, Loree. They have three children.

https://rsc.byu.edu/authors/hamblin-william-j

36 minutes ago, JamesBYoung said:

Hamblin, William J.

william-hamblin.jpg

William James Hamblin was a Mormon apologist and professor of history at Brigham Young University when this was written. He is a former board member of the Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies at BYU. Brother Hamblin received his bachelors degree in history from BYU. He did his graduate studies from the University of Michigan, receiving an M.A. in history in 1981, an MA in Near East Studies in 1984, and a PhD in history in 1985. The title of his Dissertation was The Fatimid Army During the Early Crusades. Prior to joining the faculty of BYU in 1989, Brother Hamblin was a history professor at the University of Southern Mississippi, an instructor at Campbell University and a middle east intelligence analyst for the United States Department of Defense. Brother Hamblin contributed many articles to The International Military Encyclopedia.Brother Hamblin lives in Provo, Utah with his wife, Loree. They have three children.

https://rsc.byu.edu/authors/hamblin-william-j

Wow, he looks a lot like me as I am now.  If people saw us together they might even think we are brothers. I've read some of his work and I think he made a lot of intelligent comments.  Maybe I'll get to know him better later.  Or maybe I knew him before I came here and just can't remember that now.  It's very sad to us sometimes when someone we love passes beyond the veil before we do but I think we all know enough about the gospel to know he is in a good place.  I don't know if I will but I'm sure a lot of his family will see him again someday.

Along with his friend and colleague, Dr. Peterson, William Hamblin was a fearless and formidable defender of the faith of the Latter-day Saints. In the wake of the deplorable purging at the Maxwell Institute, he was instrumental in the founding of the Interpreter Foundation. That is now part of his legacy. 

Even so, we are the poorer for having lost him. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
8 minutes ago, JamesBYoung said:

There was a definite need for cleansing the Institute of loose-cannon apologists in my opinion.

Sacking Dan with an email while he was on tour for the Institute was bad form, I think.

It didn't happen that way.  The director tried to meet with Dan to sack him; he wouldn't meet.  At least that seemed to be my recollection at the time.  Dan is in a much better place now.  Although I like Spencer, and have substantial doubt about the Maxwell Institute today, its purpose and future. 

3 hours ago, Bob Crockett said:

he director tried to meet with Dan to sack him; he wouldn't meet. 

You may have that reversed from what I have heard....as in Dan and others were trying to meet with him to discuss obstacles to getting work done,etc.

Edited by Calm
8 hours ago, Bob Crockett said:

It didn't happen that way.  The director tried to meet with Dan to sack him; he wouldn't meet.  At least that seemed to be my recollection at the time.   

That’s a false recollection. 

Dan can clarify here if necessary, but the director met at length with Dan to discuss, among other things, his vision for the Mormon Studies Review. According to Dan, the director gave no inclination of an intent to “sack” him. That came a short time later, while Dan was overseas and was blindsided by the now infamous email. 

Edited to add: I just noticed that Dan has already clarified. I’m glad to see that Dan set the record straight and that my recollection was vindicated even before I expressed it here. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
7 hours ago, Daniel Peterson said:

It is not true that the director vainly sought to meet with me in order to sack me.

It is not true that the director vainly sought to meet with me.  Period.

I met with him a couple of days before I left for six weeks overseas, in the Middle East and then in Europe.  I was not sacked in that meeting, and there was no expectation of another meeting before my departure.  I was sacked while I was still in the Middle East.  To be precise, I was sacked by email while I was in my room in the David Citadel Hotel in Jerusalem.

Just for the record.

Thanks for showing up, Dan. I tried to find something definite on this last night as it is ridiculous you still have to defend yourself on what happened. Unfortunately there is so much chatter on it and the board search function is useless past a year, I ran out of time.  I should just bookmark this for the next time it gets dragged out.

That it’s in a thread about Bill who took a lot of flak for trying to set the record straight...frustrating to say the very least. 

Too many friends and good people leaving us lately.

Cris/Cal

15 hours ago, JamesBYoung said:

There was a definite need for cleansing the Institute of loose-cannon apologists in my opinion.

Sacking Dan with an email while he was on tour for the Institute was bad form, I think.

I still remember that, it was so shocking.  But, years later, I have to say,  I really enjoy the Interpreter articles, they are great.  Something good did come out of that.  As for the Maxwell Institute...I don't even know what they do these days, maybe their work is just more low key.

10 hours ago, alter idem said:

I still remember that, it was so shocking.  But, years later, I have to say,  I really enjoy the Interpreter articles, they are great.  Something good did come out of that.  As for the Maxwell Institute...I don't even know what they do these days, maybe their work is just more low key.

Look it up.  Chris Blythe does amazingly superior work.

13 hours ago, alter idem said:

It has been far more academically oriented, especially in the years following the purge of 2012 up to a year or two ago, when it was reined in a bit by Church leaders. 

For my part, it has held very little interest for me as a non-academic since it was re-invented in 2012. Too esoteric and ivory tower for my tastes. 

I do continue to enjoy the Interpreter, though. I agree with you that it was something good that came out of the 2012 episode. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
On 12/11/2019 at 7:26 PM, Calm said:

You may have that reversed from what I have heard....as in Dan and others were trying to meet with him to discuss obstacles to getting work done,etc.

I base my opinion solely upon the two emails exchanged between Gerald Bradford and Daniel Peterson.  Bradford has never spoken about the issue.  

BYU just didn't want to continue to publish the Review in its format under Dr. Peterson.   It may or may not have had something to do with John Dehlin and Smoot's pending review of Dehlin.  I suspect it probably did. BYU made the decision to remove Dr. Peterson from his editorship but retain him in all his other responsibilities. 

When you read the email exchange between the two men you can get a feel for what was really happening.  But Dr. Peterson is in a far better place today, and I support him.

Edited by Bob Crockett
3 hours ago, Bob Crockett said:

base my opinion solely upon the two emails exchanged between Gerald Bradford and Daniel Peterson.

And with that incomplete info, you came to a faulty conclusion...unless you believe Dan is lying.

Have you changed your opinion now you have more info (the post in this thread from him)?

When you read the email exchange between the two men you can get a feel for what was really happening But Dr. Peterson is in a far better place today, and I support him.

I have read and heard much more than just those two emails, so it would seem my opinion is much more informed than yours.  

Your conclusions about it being "BYU" are overstated as is your conclusion that Bradford attempted to meet with Peterson prior to his leaving to sack him.  He says he was hoping to "hear from you on the Review" which implies more written or phone conversation and states it was about the Review and specifies issues with the Review itself.  Only later in a separate paragraph does he move on to Peterson's situation and says "I now realize it was wrong to expect..."  That "now" suggests he decided to terminate Peterson around the time he was writing the email.  There is nothing to suggest as well he initiated any effort to speak to Peterson, no references to anticipating Peterson returning an earlier email or call either.  Hoping is not expecting.  A boss asking for a meeting or conversation would be expecting his employee to contact him, not just vaguely hoping.

Peterson's email states his wife predicted he would be terminated once he was out of the country and she used the word "pull" which does not imply that Dan was ditching any attempt to meet with him face to face so Bradford was forced to do it after he left, but rather that was Bradford's original intention in her view.

Neither email suggests Bradford was anticipating a face to face about termination prior to Peterson leaving the country.  Bradford could have easily included that in the discussion of what he was anticipating, as in 'I needed to talk about your future as well as the future of the Review.'

But even if that demonstrates that you took too great a leap in your conclusions, imo, all that is moot with Dan's information.  And since you got that bit about the situation completely wrong, you should be less secure imo in making pontifications on what "BYU" wanted to happen, etc.  If you mean the then current directors of the Maxwell Institute, you should specify them rather than use "BYU" which implies the global entity of BYU, which would imo include the Board of Regents Trustees.

If you really support Dan, then you would stop spreading misinformation about his dismissal.

PS:  it wasn't even Smoot who was reviewing Mormonstories and Dehlin, but Greg Smith.  Something else you got wrong.

https://journal.interpreterfoundation.org/news-gregory-l-smiths-review-of-mormon-stories/

----

You might want to read this to become at least somewhat more informed than just two emails...

https://web.archive.org/web/20131019035420/http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2013/10/who-should-get-the-credit-for-giving-me-the-boot.html

Edited by Calm