Seriously No Politics ×

5 things Latter-day Saints should know about ancient Christians

10 hours ago, smac97 said:

Very cool article at LDS Living5 things Latter-day Saints should know about ancient Christians

I agree with this.  I think we need to allow the leaders of the Primitive Church the same sort of parameters we have for modern prophets and apostles.  Perhaps these parameters ought to be even more broadly construed for folks like Irenaeus given the disparity in circumstances and information.

In any event, there sure seems to be a good amount of overlap between 

Iranaeus: "What we are, that He might bring us to be even what He is Himself") and

Lorenzo Snow: “As man now is, God once was; as God now is, man may become.”

Dan Peterson wrote about this back in 2015:

Back to the original article:

This is helpful stuff.

Very good.

Thanks,

-Smac

Any informed Catholic or Protestant will tell you that their churches teach the Father, Son and Holy Ghost are three separate and distinct personages. They will go even further by assuring you that the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost are not three different manifestations of one divine personage (the heresy of modalism).

So wherein do we Latter-Day Saints actually differ from the Catholics and Protestants with regard to nature the Godhead? They teach that the three separate and distinct personage of the Godhead are all of one divine substance, but said mysterious unifying substance is left undefined. Meanwhile the the Latter-Day Saints’ Lectures on Faith asserts that each of the three members of the Godhead are filled to eternal fulness with an uncreated spiritual substance called the  Spirit of Truth or Light of Truth.

So when you get right down to it, I believe there are basically three ways that we Latter-Day Saints differ from the Catholics and Protestants on the nature of the Godhead.

1) Unlike the Catholics and Protestants, we are able to define the spiritual substance that fills and unifies each member of the Godhead. (Lest any misunderstand, the primary reason why the Father, Son and Holy Ghost are of one purpose and of one mind is because all three are filled with an infinite and eternal outpouring of the Spirit of Truth. Just as the only way the Church can achieve unity is through the unity of the Spirit, so also the only way the Godhead is able to achieve its perfect unity is through the unity of the Spirit.

2) Unlike the Catholics and Protestants, we believe all three members of the Godhead are material beings.

3) Unlike the Catholics and Protestants, we’ve believe God the Father has a glorified material body of flesh and bones.

Edited by teddyaware

From the article:

Ancient Christians had different understandings from Latter-day Saints regarding what it meant to become like God. Professor Daniel Becerra explains: “Irenaeus and Athanasius understood God (as Creator) and humans (as creations) as different species, so to speak, rather than the same species albeit at different points of development.”3 Despite this important distinction, Latter-day Saints can still find this ancient Christian teaching insightful and edifying.

It is definitely true that Athanasius had a different understanding regarding what it meant to become like God.  And Irenaeus did too, but his views were less developed on this (it seems to me), because he was living at a time (c. 175 - c. 195 AD) when the doctrine of creation ex-nihilo (creation out of nothing) had just been adopted as a way to explain the greatness of the Christian God.  

Some of what Irenaeus taught on men becoming gods sounds like he hadn't fully stepped over the edge after adopting the doctrine of creation out of nothing.  Even though he refers to the difference between men and God to be the "created" compared to the "uncreated" (we even hold a similar view with respect to our current existence), he discusses the differences in purely relative terms.  For example:

If, however, any one say, "What then? Could not God have exhibited man as perfect from beginning?" let him know that, inasmuch as God is indeed always the same and unbegotten as respects Himself, all things are possible to Him. But created things must be inferior to Him who created them, from the very fact of their later origin; for it was not possible for things recently created to have been uncreated. But inasmuch as they are not uncreated, for this very reason do they come short of the perfect. Because, as these things are of later date, so are they infantile; so are they unaccustomed to, and unexercised in, perfect discipline. For as it certainly is in the power of a mother to give strong food to her infant, [but she does not do so], as the child is not yet able to receive more substantial nourishment; so also it was possible for God Himself to have made man perfect from the first, but man could not receive this [perfection], being as yet an infant.

....in like manner, God had power at the beginning to grant perfection to man; but as the latter was only recently created, he could not possibly have received it, or even if he had received it, could he have contained it, or containing it, could he have retained it...   There was nothing, therefore, impossible to and deficient in God, [implied in the fact] that man was not an uncreated being; but this merely applied to him who was lately created, [namely] man.  (CHURCH FATHERS: Against Heresies, IV.38 (St. Irenaeus))

And in the next chapter he continues the same line of thought:

2. How, then, shall he be a God, who has not as yet been made a man?  Or how can he be perfect who was but lately created?  How, again, can he be immortal, who in his mortal nature did not obey his Maker?  For it must be that thou, at the outset, shouldest hold the rank of a man, and then afterwards partake of the glory of God. For thou dost not make God, but God thee. If, then, thou art God's workmanship, await the hand of thy Maker which creates everything in due time; in due time as far as thou art concerned, whose creation is being carried out.  Offer to Him thy heart in a soft and tractable state, and preserve the form in which the Creator has fashioned thee, having moisture in thyself, lest, by becoming hardened, thou lose the impressions of His fingers. But by preserving the framework thou shalt ascend to that which is perfect, for the moist clay which is in thee is hidden [there] by the workmanship of God.  (CHURCH FATHERS: Against Heresies, IV.39 (St. Irenaeus))

It's fascinating to see what doctrines were taught in early Christianity.

5 hours ago, teddyaware said:

Any informed Catholic or Protestant will tell you that their churches teach the Father, Son and Holy Ghost are three separate and distinct personages. They will go even further by assuring you that the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost are not three different manifestations of one divine personage (the heresy of modalism).

So wherein do we Latter-Day Saints actually differ from the Catholics and Protestants with regard to nature the Godhead? They teach that the three separate and distinct personage of the Godhead are all of one divine substance, but said mysterious unifying substance is left undefined. Meanwhile the the Latter-Day Saints’ Lectures on Faith asserts that each of the three members of the Godhead are filled to eternal fulness with an uncreated spiritual substance called the  Spirit of Truth or Light of Truth.

So when you get right down to it, I believe there are basically three ways that we Latter-Day Saints differ from the Catholics and Protestants on the nature of the Godhead.

1) Unlike the Catholics and Protestants, we are able to define the spiritual substance that fills and unifies each member of the Godhead. (Lest any misunderstand, the primary reason why the Father, Son and Holy Ghost are of one purpose and of one mind is because all three are filled with an infinite and eternal outpouring of the Spirit of Truth. Just as the only way the Church can achieve unity is through the unity of the Spirit, so also the only way the Godhead is able to achieve its perfect unity is through the unity of the Spirit.

2) Unlike the Catholics and Protestants, we believe all three members of the Godhead are material beings.

3) Unlike the Catholics and Protestants, we’ve believe God the Father has a glorified material body of flesh and bones.

I believe the differences extend a little further. More than these, I believe more importantly that we do not believe the Son is eternally begotten. That is one of my main differences with Catholicism. I have to go with the scriptural version that the Son was begotten when the Father said to Him "Thou art my Son. This DAY I have begotten thee." I believe this is central to what Christ was teaching us as so aptly pointed out by Smac, and is central to truly understanding not only the scriptures, but the nature of God. However, to say the Church has a concrete answer at present, I think would be stretching things. To solely focus on the first three points I think plays into their hands a little bit. There are some more minor differences, but this will suffice for now.

2. They believed the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are distinct personages.

The word Trinity (Latin, trinitas) was first used by a Christian named Tertullian around AD 200.5 He used the term to encapsulate his belief that the Father and the Son were distinct persons who were one in other ways. Latter-day Saints have sometimes assumed that Christians who accept the Nicene Creed (AD 325) believe that God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost are one person. After all, the creed states that God the Father and the Son are homoousios—a Greek word sometimes translated as “same substance” or “one being.” Yet this term was clarified by the Council of Chalcedon (AD 451) in the following way: Jesus Christ is “one substance [homoousios] with the Father as regards his divinity, and … one substance [homoousios] with us as regards his humanity.”6

In other words, Jesus is “one substance” with the Father just as he is “one substance” with us humans—and clearly we are not the same person as Jesus. For ancient Christians, the terms “being” and “person” meant different things. Christians used the term “being” to describe the oneness of God, the divine nature of God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. These same Christians also affirmed that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost are three distinct “persons.”

Elder Jeffrey R. Holland taught, “I think I am safe in saying that part of the reason we are so misunderstood by others in the Christian tradition is because in stressing the individual personages of the Godhead, we have not followed that up often enough by both conceding and insisting upon Their unity in virtually every other imaginable way. For this we have reaped needless criticism, and we have made our LDS position harder to be understood than it needs to be.” Understanding how ancient Christians described their beliefs about the nature of God can help us appreciate the beliefs of others and more accurately understand and explain our own beliefs.

Yes, aside from modalists, almost all Christians, ancient and modern, believed Jesus to be a different person than the Father, even if they are "one God" and "one substance." Trinitarianism itself doesn't exist in any first century Christian documents, although the focus on the three (Father/Son/Spirit) begins in the first century, particularly in Matthew. 

As far as the Holy Spirit goes, that seems harder to nail down - some seemed to consider the Holy Spirt a person, others considered it the power of God and not a distinct person. 

Edited by Eschaton
54 minutes ago, 3DOP said:

If somebody wants to tell me how to get rid of this. I will do it...if I can. Otherwise ignore. Same for the one below.

On 12/15/2022 at 10:21 AM, smac97 said:

Edited by 3DOP
21 hours ago, teddyaware said:

I would say in your item "1)" that we are not defining a spiritual substance ("spiritual substance" being a finer and purer form of matter), except to the say that the Godhead is a union of kindred, even familial, Persons, all three of whom are of the finest and purest spirit matter, and two of whom are inseparably connected with the finest and purest of element matter. I would suggest that “fine” and “pure” are quantitative as well as qualitative properties. Where the glory of the body (element) is driven by the spirt, and the glory of the spirit is driven by agency, agency is the substance upon which godhood hinges – substance in this case being the essential nature of the personage possessing it, and glory being its expression.

1 hour ago, CV75 said:

I would say in your item "1)" that we are not defining a spiritual substance ("spiritual substance" being a finer and purer form of matter), except to the say that the Godhead is a union of kindred, even familial, Persons, all three of whom are of the finest and purest spirit matter, and two of whom are inseparably connected with the finest and purest of element matter. I would suggest that “fine” and “pure” are quantitative as well as qualitative properties. Where the glory of the body (element) is driven by the spirt, and the glory of the spirit is driven by agency, agency is the substance upon which godhood hinges – substance in this case being the essential nature of the personage possessing it, and glory being its expression.

Agency is an ability, not sure “substance” is an appropriate description of it even if godhood is dependent on having agency. 

The relevant substance might be whatever gives them the pure agency they have. 

Edited by Calm
13 hours ago, Calm said:

Agency is an ability, not sure “substance” is an appropriate description of it even if godhood is dependent on having agency. 

The relevant substance might be whatever gives them the pure agency they have. 

Yes, there can be an infinite regression in this; "agency" is as far back as I could describe it.  I use "substance" as "essential nature" in this case, the essential nature of intelligence being its agency, or ability to choose. I am not using "substance" as "a particular kind of matter (tangible or not) with uniform properties," like "Evil" in the movie Time Bandits where it is a substance in the form of a chunk of burning, coal-like matter.

I am also speaking of drivers, not dependencies since at some point all these attributes are integrated aspects of intelligence as it expands and progresses from more fundamental to more advanced estates.

I believe as God gave us agency (the essential conditions under which our essential nature could be fully exercised), someone gave it to Him/Them (the couplet). So, He would be the driver of our agency, and someone else the driver for His. The mystery for us may be temporally comprehending this eternal round along with the concept of "gnolaum" but the concepts themselves are very simple. We can give others agency, at least advancing their agency, by doing the same within our scope of life (it is the opposite of unrighteous dominion).

22 hours ago, Eschaton said:

As far as the Holy Spirit goes, that seems harder to nail down - some seemed to consider the Holy Spirt a person, others considered it the power of God and not a distinct person. 

https://www.ldsliving.com/4-things-we-know-about-the-holy-ghost/s/91381

In a sermon delivered in 1857, President Heber C. Kimball stated: “The Holy Ghost is 
a man; he is one of the sons of our Father and our God; and he is that man that stood 
next to Jesus Christ, just as I stand by Brother Brigham.”

35 minutes ago, TheTanakas said:

https://www.ldsliving.com/4-things-we-know-about-the-holy-ghost/s/91381

In a sermon delivered in 1857, President Heber C. Kimball stated: “The Holy Ghost is 
a man; he is one of the sons of our Father and our God; and he is that man that stood 
next to Jesus Christ, just as I stand by Brother Brigham.”

I was talking about early first century Christian beliefs, not 19th century LDS beliefs. 

On 12/15/2022 at 10:11 PM, InCognitus said:

It is definitely true that Athanasius had a different understanding regarding what it meant to become like God. 

I read the article that you referred to but I don't see the early Christians equating 'becoming like God' to
'becoming Gods'. 

If my understanding of LDS theology is correct, exalted beings are those who 'become Gods' and inherit
the highest level in the Celestial Kingdom.  

Are these so-called Gods omnipotent too like Heavenly Mother is taught to be?  

O How Great the Plan of Our God!
By President Dieter F. Uchtdorf
Second Counselor in the First Presidency

We are the literal spirit children of divine, immortal, and omnipotent Heavenly Parents.

1 hour ago, theplains said:

I read the article that you referred to but I don't see the early Christians equating 'becoming like God' to
'becoming Gods'. 

The article I referred to in my post is the same one referenced in the opening post.  The bullet point in the article (relevant to your comment) says (of the early Christians):  "1. They taught that becoming like God begins in this life."  Latter-day Saints also teach that becoming like God begins in this life.  

But if you are trying to claim that the early Christians didn't teach that men could "become Gods", then you should read the other two links (from Irenaeus) and the quotes from him that I included in my post.  What did Irenaeus mean when he asked:  "How, then, shall he be a God, who has not as yet been made a man?"  He goes into great depth in those two chapters (Against Heresies, Book IV, chapter 38 and chapter 39), about how men are to become "gods", or to "be a God".  

If my understanding of LDS theology is correct, exalted beings are those who 'become Gods' and inherit
the highest level in the Celestial Kingdom.  

They become "gods", or "Gods".  It could be written either way.  It's explained in similar ways in the writings of the early Christians.  This is what Hippolytus of Rome (c. 170–235 AD) wrote:  "And thou shalt be a companion of the Deity, and a co-heir with Christ, no longer enslaved by lusts or passions, and never again wasted by disease. For thou hast become God" (Hippolytus - Refutation Book 10 Ch. 30)

O How Great the Plan of Our God!
By President Dieter F. Uchtdorf
Second Counselor in the First Presidency

We are the literal spirit children of divine, immortal, and omnipotent Heavenly Parents.

What is "omnipotence" to you?   Is Jesus omnipotent?  When one receives "all power" from the Father (as Jesus did from his Father - Matthew 28:18, Rev 5:12), doesn't that make that being omnipotent?  Those who overcome will sit with God in his throne and they are given power over the nations (Rev 3:21 and 2:26).  What's the difference here?

Do you agree with what the article in the opening post is saying?  

On 12/19/2022 at 6:46 PM, InCognitus said:

For thou hast become God" (Hippolytus - Refutation Book 10 Ch. 30)

I don't agree with the teachings that man can become gods (Deities).    It was this sort of temptation
that caused the original sin (the Fall).

You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “and my servant whom I have chosen, that you may know
and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any
after me
" (Isaiah 43:10, ESV). 

On 12/19/2022 at 6:46 PM, InCognitus said:

What is "omnipotence" to you?   Is Jesus omnipotent?  When one receives "all power" from the Father (as Jesus did from his Father - Matthew 28:18, Rev 5:12), doesn't that make that being omnipotent?  Those who overcome will sit with God in his throne and they are given power over the nations (Rev 3:21 and 2:26).  What's the difference here?

Do you agree with what the article in the opening post is saying? 

Yes. Jesus is omnipotent in the sense that God has all power and that he is God from eternity past. But we
also have to consider that "all power" can also mean someone who is not omnipotent; as in the coming of
a future wicked one who will deceive many.

"Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders (2
Thessalonians 2:9
).

Regarding how I viewed the article:

1. They taught that becoming like God begins in this life.
Yes. But not become God.

Yes. But not 3 Gods like Joseph Smith taught.

3. They found scriptural symbolism in their sacred ordinances.
Yes.

4. They powerfully taught about the Atonement of Jesus Christ.
Yes.

5. We may not always agree with ancient Christians, but we can still learn from them.
Yes. But many a false gospel principle has been taught when people have not agreed with biblical
teachings.

2 hours ago, theplains said:

I don't agree with the teachings that man can become gods (Deities).    It was this sort of temptation
that caused the original sin (the Fall).

You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “and my servant whom I have chosen, that you may know
and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any
after me

Yes. Jesus is omnipotent in the sense that God has all power and that he is God from eternity past. But we
also have to consider that "all power" can also mean someone who is not omnipotent; as in the coming of

"Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders (2
).

Yes. But not become God.

3. They found scriptural symbolism in their sacred ordinances.
Yes.

4. They powerfully taught about the Atonement of Jesus Christ.
Yes.

5. We may not always agree with ancient Christians, but we can still learn from them.
Yes. But many a false gospel principle has been taught when people have not agreed with biblical
teachings.

It appears you believe that in spite of his omnipotence and omniscience God is incapable of sharing the fullness of his power and glory with his own special creation whom he made in his own divine image, likeness and glory? And it seems you believe this even though he has solemnly promised those who overcome the world that they will become joint heirs with Christ and inherit all things that he himself possesses as the Son of God, including the right to rule and reign as kings and priests throughout eternity?

16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

17 And if children, then heirs  of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. (Romans 8)

And…

19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. (Revelation 3)

And…

6 And he said unto me, It is done. I an Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.

7 He that over cometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son. (Revelation 21)

Edited by teddyaware
On 12/15/2022 at 9:14 PM, teddyaware said:

Meanwhile the the Latter-Day Saints’ Lectures on Faith asserts that each of the three members of the Godhead are filled to eternal fulness with an uncreated spiritual substance called the  Spirit of Truth or Light of Truth.

Lecture Five teaches the father is a personage of spirit, the son of tabernacle and the HG the mind of God.

15 minutes ago, Teancum said:

Lecture Five teaches the father is a personage of spirit, the son of tabernacle and the HG the mind of God.

Yep, we believe in continuing revelation, so no surprise here, right?

36 minutes ago, Calm said:

Yep, we believe in continuing revelation, so no surprise here, right?

Nope.  Lots of problems here.  Remember JS said the first principle of the gospel is to know God and His attributes and character.  Well those items have been ever changing in LDS theology. So no. Continuing revelation does not help you here.

What makes you think by that he meant we had to know what God was first rather than it being the most important principle we were to learn in our existence, since to be one with God we must know who is he?

He also said the first principle of the gospel was faith.  If we have true knowledge of God, there is no need for faith.  Thus it makes sense that one principle needs to come first (faith) while the other is the ultimate of what we are aiming towards, our first priority in life (knowledge of God so we can become like him and one with him).

Edited by Calm
5 hours ago, theplains said:

I don't agree with the teachings that man can become gods (Deities).    

So you don't agree with the early Christians teachings on this.   Why do you suppose that the earliest Christians (those who lived closest to the time of Jesus and the apostles) taught that men become gods, but most Christians today don't teach those things anymore? 

after me

This verse doesn't mean what you think it means.  We've already discussed Isaiah 43:10, remember?   See this post from me to you on 09/16/2019.  And you may want to read this thread from June 21, 2011.

Yes. Jesus is omnipotent in the sense that God has all power

Except Jesus was given this power from his Father, he didn't always have that power.

and that he is God from eternity past.

What scripture says this about Jesus?  And don't quote the "from everlasting to everlasting" verses.  We've already discussed that "from everlasting" can't possibly mean from all eternity past (see 07/09/2022, 07/25/2022,  08/10/2022, 10/30/2022, and probably several other places).

But we

).

That's not the same kind of "power" in that verse.  2 Thes 2:9 uses the Greek word dynámei, which refers to miraculous power or "mighty deeds" (as it is used in Matthew 7:22).  But when Jesus said that "all power is given unto me in heaven and in earth", it is the Greek word exousía, which refers to magisterial power or authority.  There is a difference.

Yes. But not become God.

They taught that men become "gods", or even "God" (as my prior quotes showed).  They taught that there are many "gods".   Do you dispute that they taught those things?  Or do you just disagree with what they taught?

Actually, the pre-Nicene early Christians taught that Jesus is the "second God"  (Origen Against Celsus, book V chapter XXXIX Lactantius, The Divine Institutes - Book IV, Chap. VI), or that Jesus is "another God and Lord subject to the Maker of all things” (Justin Martyr, Dialog of Justin with Trypho, a Jew, ch LVI ). Or that "the nature of the Son, which is nearest to Him who is alone the Almighty One, is the most perfect, and most holy, and most potent, and most princely, and most kingly, and most beneficent."  (Clement of Alexandria, The Stromata, Book VII, Chapter 2).  Or even that Jesus, "the first-born of all creation, who is the first to be with God, and to attract to Himself divinity, is a being of more exalted rank than the other gods beside Him" (Origen, Commentary on the Gospel of John, Book II, Chapter 2).   That sounds very similar to what Joseph Smith taught, doesn't it?

teachings.

False gospels also arise when true teachings that are found in the Bible are ignored while other teachings are emphasized.  The teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are completely in harmony with doctrines found in the Bible.