Seriously No Politics ×

Covid III: Delta Force

49 minutes ago, Chum said:

Today's Omicron headline: Omicron appears more resistant to Covid vaccines but is causing less severe illness in South Africa, major study finds

Omicron is spreading at a fairly astonishing rate but I'm not hearing about tons of awful outcomes. I'm optimistically hopeful that this variant is pulling it's punches.

What I am hoping is it sweeps through those who refuse to get vaccinated with little damage (make sure to take the little ones to the hospital in case of dehydration) and it plus vaccinations and boosters pushes us into long enough herd immunity to move Covid out of pandemic stage to give doctors, nurses and the rest a rest and more time to figure out the almost perfect vaccine and/or cure.   But probably unrealistic there…

Edited by Calm

Just finished chatting with one of my former mission companions in America. His little brother is in hospital with a serious heart ailment, and the doctors want to transfer him to a major hospital with cardiac experts, but they can't because that hospital is full of Covid patients. He said he previously didn't believe that hospitals are struggling and that this has been a wake-up call for him. He is very contrite. Good luck this northern winter!

FYI Alberta stats

Further, the hospitalization rate for unvaccinated adults 70 to 79 is 5,982 per 100,000 people versus a rate of 126 per 100,000 for fully-vaccinated adults, in the same timeframe.

The COVID-19 death rate for unvaccinated adults 50 to 59 in Alberta was 133 per 100,000 compared to a rate of less than two for the fully-vaccinated.

40 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

FYI Alberta stats

Further, the hospitalization rate for unvaccinated adults 70 to 79 is 5,982 per 100,000 people versus a rate of 126 per 100,000 for fully-vaccinated adults, in the same timeframe.

The COVID-19 death rate for unvaccinated adults 50 to 59 in Alberta was 133 per 100,000 compared to a rate of less than two for the fully-vaccinated.

I wish we had these stats on a national level. Does that exist here in the US?
It’s persuasive.

7 hours ago, strappinglad said:

FYI Alberta stats

You need to include vaccination facts as well so we can see the context better  and make this even more useful please

7 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Just finished chatting with one of my former mission companions in America. His little brother is in hospital with a serious heart ailment, and the doctors want to transfer him to a major hospital with cardiac experts, but they can't because that hospital is full of Covid patients. He said he previously didn't believe that hospitals are struggling and that this has been a wake-up call for him. He is very contrite. Good luck this northern winter!

My dad was stuck in the emergency room for hours after a heart attack last week due to Covid overcrowding.

3 hours ago, The Nehor said:

My dad was stuck in the emergency room for hours after a heart attack last week due to Covid overcrowding.

So sorry about your dad’s heart attack. My dad was only 49 when he died of a heart attack. And both of my brothers have had them.  Take care of yourself. 

11 hours ago, strappinglad said:

FYI Alberta stats

Do you know the time period the statistic is derived from?

Do you know if the stats were adjusted for changes in percent vaccinated?

3 hours ago, Chum said:

But antivax'rs bravery! In the face of overwhelming force!

antivax.png.893a01e141b0acba65d11d6473b98d73.png

As with so many others, the two anti vaxxers in that age and weight category may pay the ultimate price. I’m watching this occur in real time. Two dead that I know of this past week. Odds are they were not vaxxed. 

5 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I'm so sorry Nehor. :( Glad the heart attack didn't take his life, like it did my dad. 

He is okay. He had a miserable day in the hospital without getting a bed for a day and they had to do minor heart surgery or as minor as heart surgery can be and he is doing well.

6 hours ago, The Nehor said:

The comparisons the antivaxxers are using to make themselves victims are insane. Just more of the same.

I think you missed something. The person in the vignette claiming to be the victim is not the unvaccinated person, it is the person freaking out that she is forced to share the same planet with someone who is not vaccinated. Think there are no such people wandering around? I've seen 'em. They exist.

6 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Sorry to hear about that! Glad to know that he is doing OK! 

2 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

I think you missed something. The person in the vignette claiming to be the victim is not the unvaccinated person, it is the person freaking out that she is forced to share the same planet with someone who is not vaccinated. Think there are no such people wandering around? I've seen 'em. They exist.

You do know that was all staged right?