Seriously No Politics ×

Covid III: Delta Force

19 minutes ago, Calm said:

I didn’t see a link in your post, so went looking and found this with some more details:

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2021/12/03/health-minister-says-highly-transmissible-omicron-hitting-young-children-hard-south

The “short-stay admission for IV fluids” sounds much better though than incubation. 

Thanks!  Sorry, I forgot to post the link.  The article I quoted from was the Deseret news, actually.  I am on my phone now or I would post the link.  Thanks for the further info!

While it is true that IV is less severe than intubation, dehydration can be serious if not treated quickly.  Unfortunately, this will just place a greater strain on hospital staff and resources who are already overwhelmed with Delta and RSV going around.  Our hospitals REALLY don’t need this right now, and any time a child is hospitalized, it is serious and very concerning.  But you are right, I am happy it is not worse.  It is concerning that future variant could potentially be even more dangerous for children, with Omicron leading the way.

I think we have become somewhat numb to the reality of them situation that we are in. We are still seeing between 10 and 20 deaths every single day from Covid in Utah alone.  10-20 per DAY!!!  I remember when people were trying to deny that 5 people were dying daily on average in Utah.  That number just seemed so terrible then. We are not out of the woods.  The Omicron will only exacerbate the situation.  It is not a good thing.

Edited by pogi
14 minutes ago, pogi said:

While it is true that IV is less severe than intubation, dehydration can be serious if not treated quickly

I added the info this is what killed my dad, he hated hospitals and he and Mom thought they could handle it in their own.   It was too late by the time he got there, they put him in a coma and then the family decided to take him off life support because being stuck in a wheelchair after 6 months in bed ‘recovering’ with dialysis every other day would have been pure hell for my dad. 

Edited by Calm
2 hours ago, pogi said:

From what I understand, this is only really true with the J&J vaccine.  If you get a non-mRNA vaccine, it gives better protection to boost with an mRNA vaccine.  Otherwise, the benefit of mixing and matching may not make that much of a difference.  

It looks like the opposite may be true too.  A J&J booster gave better immunity than Pfizer when the original series was Pfizer.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/12/05/health/jj-booster-pfizer-study.amp.html

1 minute ago, pogi said:

It looks like the opposite may be true too.  A J&J booster gave better immunity than Pfizer when the original series was Pfizer.

It could be that's what reports were indicating and I misremembered or misunderstood.

3 hours ago, pogi said:

It looks like the opposite may be true too.

My original doses were AstraZeneca. I will qualify for a booster in February. I have a choice of Pfizer or Moderna. Any thoughts and/or data on making this choice?

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
15 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

My original doses were AstraZeneca. I will qualify for a booster in February. I have a choice of Pfizer or Moderna. Any thoughts and/or data on making this choice?

Hey Hamba, good question.  I am not very familiar with any data on AstraZeneca as it is not being used in the US.  I don't think there have been any studies showing which vaccine would be most effective with it as a booster.  Between Pfizer and Moderna, Moderna has been shown to produce higher antibodies and is more effective against delta variant.   That is with the primary series though.  The Moderna booster has half as much mRNA as the initial 2 dose series (50 micrograms vs 100 micrograms), while the Pfizer booster contains the same amount of mRNA as the primary series (30 micrograms).  So, even with half the dose in the Moderna booster, you are still getting more active ingredient and thus potentially a better antibody response.  If I had to bet, you would probably get a better response with Moderna.   I would probably choose an mRNA over another AstraZeneca booster though (if that is even an option), as it seems to be the better option with those who received the J&J (non-mRNA vaccine). 

Some states are back to having overfull hospitals as Delta again spikes. Indiana, Maine, New Hampshire and New York are deploying the National Guard to help with numbers that are far beyond what hospital staff can manage.

The exhausted doctors working in these overfull hospitals are understandably frustrated with anti-vax media outlets that have been enabling & encouraging the anti-vax'rs driving these surges.

1 hour ago, Chum said:

Some states are back to having overfull hospitals as Delta again spikes. Indiana, Maine, New Hampshire and New York are deploying the National Guard to help with numbers that are far beyond what hospital staff can manage.

This is insane. I just ran the numbers for Indiana. They have 35 times more people hospitalised with Covid than we do right now (adjusted for population). Of course, our vaccination rate today is sitting just above 98 per cent of the eligible population whilst there's is just above 51 per cent ...

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
8 hours ago, pogi said:

If I had to bet, you would probably get a better response with Moderna.

Thanks, mate! I've been leaning in this direction from what I've read. My housemate is booked in for Pfizer, but Moderna wasn't available when he made his booking. It will be by the time I qualify.

My nephew posted this asking for everyone's opinion on it, so I actually commented that I would take a listen and then told him how I use to like Glenn Beck but now think he's a bit of a conspiracy nut. And then told him, that I think our family thinks I'm a nut now. So I'm listening to it, but it's going to be soooo hard to take. Anyone care to give me their opinion? It has to do with covid. But don't know if he brings up other crimes or cover ups yet. 

59 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I use to like Glenn Beck but now think he's a bit of a conspiracy nut.

I heard Beck's first show in Tampa. He took over Bob Lassiter's slot afternoon (BL once email'd me a single word - ahole).  I listened to him for years. Saw him speak at a local chapel.

and yeah. Sometime after that he lost his way.

20 minutes ago, Chum said:

Saw him speak at a local chapel.

and yeah. Sometime after that he lost his way.

I heard him present at UVU once. Kept politics out of it mostly and zippo conspiracy or his flavour of history.  I was moved at times. Was quite a different picture of him, much less performer and more genuine, at least I hope it was.   It was after that he got extreme in my view, but he was on his way. Makes me think a lot of his public persona is just an act. 

It is also possible I just phased out the stuff that turned me off as I don’t remember anything reported by DN, lol. I was there to support my business prof husband. 

https://www.deseret.com/2008/10/26/20282501/beck-speaks-at-uvu

https://www.heraldextra.com/news/2008/oct/25/glenn-beck-urges-utahns-to-trust-in-god/

Edited by Calm
39 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

FWIW , I got the booster a couple of weeks ago. All 3 shots were Moderna and all 3 were full doses because I am ( cough,cough ) over 65 .

Oh Tacenda you young whippersnapper ! 

I got the booster within the same time frame you did!! I'm 60 this year, right behind you! :) 

Edited by Tacenda
7 hours ago, Calm said:

I heard him present at UVU once. Kept politics out of it mostly and zippo conspiracy or his flavour of history.  I was moved at times. Was quite a different picture of him, much less performer and more genuine, at least I hope it was.   It was after that he got extreme in my view, but he was on his way. Makes me think a lot of his public persona is just an act. 

That's a good synopsis of the presentation I saw.

I think Beck is good at segmenting his content and that he believes his conspiracies - but is also more capable of reason. My theory is that if Beck could be freed from the ratcheting, self-reinforcing loop, he'd at least try to find a better head space.

source: I did

49 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

I find it interesting mixing vaccines produced more side effects. Stronger immune response?

Moderna produces a stronger response, iirc. Maybe Pfizer gets the immune system primed, but then Moderna on top of it revs it way into overdrive in some. 

2 minutes ago, Calm said:

Moderna produces a stronger response, iirc. Maybe Pfizer gets the immune system primed, but then Moderna on top of it revs it way into overdrive in some. 

Logically, I think Moderna for older people and Pfizer for younger…especially under 30 males?