Seriously No Politics ×

Sl trib headline: Fairmormon adopts a new name and urges a kinder approach in defending the lds church

I noticed the change in the URL (it now says “fair.latterdaysaints” instead of “fairmormon” or “fairlds”) and I sensed they were trying to heed the prophet’s imperative regarding use of the proper name of the Church. Good for them for doing so!

I have admired this organization for many years now. They perform a valuable service. I wish them continued success. 

Cardon Ellis is not a BYU student.  He owns a pest control business.  For years he has struggled to be an actor.  He is old enough to be the father of BYU students.  In the past he has promoted far far right politics.  He is quite a bit like a taller Jack Black with a similar sense of humor.  A convert. 

Edited by Bob Crockett
2 hours ago, Bob Crockett said:

Cardon Ellis is not a BYU student.  He owns a pest control business.  For years he has struggled to be an actor.  He is old enough to be the father of BYU students.  In the past he has promoted far far right politics.  He is quite a bit like a taller Jack Black with a similar sense of humor.  A convert. 

He also gained some notoriety/infamy for a stunt involving sneaking a knife past airport security in 2010.  He was 27 at the time.  Since then he has apparently married and started a family, and his baby daughter has fought brain cancer.

Thanks,

-Smac

10 minutes ago, 2BizE said:

So, are the T.I.T.S. videos going away?

Gone.

1 minute ago, Tacenda said:

If you do a search on YouTube for "This Is The Show Fairmormon" you no longer find the original videos, only responses to them.

27 minutes ago, ttribe said:

Gone.

If you do a search on YouTube for "This Is The Show Fairmormon" you no longer find the original videos, only responses to them.

I know Calm has mentioned they're still there but maybe this new information will change that.  @Calm we need you. :) I have short term memory!

ETA: Just did as you suggested and they appear to be there still: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=This+Is+The+Show+Fairmormon   Oops, this is a variety of videos around the subject, so not the actual TITS youtube home. But you can find many of them sandwiched in. So looks like you're right.

ETAA: This youtube with Shawn McCraney possibly irritated the apologists. 

Edited by Tacenda
2 hours ago, smac97 said:

He also gained some notoriety/infamy for a stunt involving sneaking a knife past airport security in 2010.  He was 27 at the time.  Since then he has apparently married and started a family, and his baby daughter has fought brain cancer.

Thanks,

-Smac

Right.  He was a member of my ward for several years.  People like him; he's outgoing.  He taught early morning seminary at about the same time I did.  He hosts a show on the locat television station. 

Edited by Bob Crockett
5 hours ago, Bob Crockett said:

Well, not to be nit-picky, but it's his dad that owns the pest control business.

I'd like to urge at this point a complete rethinking of the apologia business.  And I'm one who has published two pieces of apologia in the FARMS review and one very minor piece at Sunstone, as well as unsuccessfuly submitted others to other journals.

It seems to go off the rails.  In every case, really.  I was extremely surprised when FAIR took Bill Reel into the fold, having read his many prior posts, and then mobidly surprised with the whole Cardon Ellis debacle.  I had had a very high opinion of FAIR before that and now think that FAIR just yields to the common temptation to abuse opponents   

5 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I know Calm has mentioned they're still there but maybe this new information will change that.  @Calm we need you. :) I have short term memory!

Not been paying much attention right not to FAIR.  Got to get through winter and Covid and get my brain semi functional again.  

1 hour ago, Calm said:

FAIR has been operating for 20 some years....there have been during that time a handful of FAIR members who lost faith.   Otoh, there are many FAIR members who are still there helping others as they did 20 years ago, as dedicated or even more so to the faith we defend.  

We have had many success stories if the letters are accurate. 

Not saying mistakes weren’t made, some big ones were. But in 20 years in an organization of volunteers, I see our record as good. 

I really very much admired FAIR.  I guess I didn't enough because I didn't contribute money when I was supporting Interpreter and MI before that  I found FAIR's website a little difficult but I couldn't put my finger on why it was difficult.  But many a time I would consult FAIR to get a handle on a question a member was asking me and I received a good response. But then when Bill Reel was affiliated it knocked my socks off and I lost faith with FAIR.  

12 minutes ago, Calm said:

...there have been during that time a handful of FAIR members who lost faith.  

This surprises me, not that it happens, but it seems like the people who volunteer to do that sort of thing would have had some idea on what they're getting into, with an exposure to the tactics and arguments that are made against the church.  It takes a special type of person with a lot of time, compassion, patience, skill, the right frame of mind, and a solid testimony of the Church based on a broad set of factors and experiences (spiritually and intellectually), to do that, in my opinion.  It can be depressing at times too, to see what people go through and to deal with the things that people say, and maybe this is the part they aren't prepared for.  For me personally, I have a hard time understanding the different ways that people think.  What seems so clear and logical to me doesn't always work the same way for someone else.  

1 hour ago, InCognitus said:

the people who volunteer to do that sort of thing would have had some idea on what they're getting into,

Not everyone gets into it for the same reason. I think the biggest stumbling block is arrogance, arrogance that they know best and don’t need to listen to others, that they have some special insight but they tend to ignore a good deal of context Imo.

13 hours ago, Bob Crockett said:

Cardon Ellis is 37/38 years old, and has young kids. 

I grew up with him, and he is not a convert to my knowledge unless his family converted when he was a baby.