Seriously No Politics ×

Elder and Sister Gong Have Covid

Turns out they both tested positive for it. I can't even imagine the implications for them, now. I sincerely hope they recover. He was supposed to come here next month and dedicate the Temple but due to the obvious that isn't happening, and then now this. 

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/elder-and-sister-gong-diagnosed-with-covid-19?fbclid=IwAR06DR0Lqv17_Ih1qoF5d-p3QQN1J4t9OLgMkLncX_CXsRg2iw9K-wy196E

Edited by Duncan
1 hour ago, Duncan said:

Turns out they both tested positive for it. I can't even imagine the implications for them, now. I sincerely hope they recover. He was supposed to come here next month and dedicate the Temple but due to the obvious that isn't happening, and then now this. 

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/elder-and-sister-gong-diagnosed-with-covid-19?fbclid=IwAR06DR0Lqv17_Ih1qoF5d-p3QQN1J4t9OLgMkLncX_CXsRg2iw9K-wy196E

Wow, this places their infectious period dangerously close to conference.  

35 minutes ago, pogi said:

18 minutes ago, gav said:

If I recall correctly they were already self isolating at home, his remarks were pre-recorded.

8 minutes ago, pogi said:

Oh good, thanks for the update.  That could have been a really bad situation. 

Oh, come on, Gav, don't rain on our alarmism! :o:shok::blink:

<_<:rolleyes:

29 minutes ago, pogi said:

I'm guessing you didn't get to watch his talk.  The situation was explained either at the beginning of the session or when he was announced as a speaker, I forget which.  I didn't notice any sign of illness during his talk.

Edited by ksfisher
8 minutes ago, ksfisher said:

I'm guessing you didn't get to watch his talk.  The situation was explained either at the beginning of the session or when he was announced as a speaker, I forget which.

Ya, I missed it.  It was a busy weekend, and even when I am trying to pay attention, I only get about 40% of it with 2 kids under 4.  I don't get to enjoy conference live anymore.  But I do always look forward to catching up when my kids go down. 

1 hour ago, pogi said:

It didn't look like Elder Gong was in the same place as the rest of the apostles, did it?  I thought it showed that he had spoken from a different location?

At the 14 minute mark of the Saturday Afternoon session, Elder Oaks announced the speakers:

"Brother Lund will be followed by Garret W. Gong of the Quorum of the twelve apostles.  Out of caution, because he has been potentially exposed recently to COVID 19, elder Gong is at home today.  He feels fine, but he recorded his remarks earlier."

Elder Gong's talk starts just after the 43 minute mark, where there is a fade to black and then Elder Gong's talk is presented.  His talk looks like it was recorded at the same location, but it sounds slightly different.  There isn't the same echo.

Edited by InCognitus
50 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

We're treating this as if it were a death sentence

Who is exactly doing this?

I am more concerned with long term damage since he is only 66 (assuming his wife is around same age).

Edited by Calm
33 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

But I guess that stating a fact, namely "far more people survive it than die from it," is a point of contention.

I have never seen that as a point of contention from anyone...ever...anywhere. 

I am glad to hear that you are concerned.  Your comment just seems insensitive considering the topic of this thread, and out of place given the fact that no one is freaking out here.   

Claims and comments about alarmism (from another poster), and freaking out are out of place. 

Edited by pogi
23 minutes ago, pogi said:

I have never seen that as a point of contention from anyone...ever...anywhere. 

I am glad to hear that you are concerned.  Your comment just seems insensitive considering the topic of this thread, and out of place given the fact that no one is freaking out here.   

Claims and comments about alarmism (from another poster), and freaking out are out of place. 

As you wish. I shall delete my comments.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that all of the speakers were asked to pre-record their talks just in case they couldn't give them.  It would also have helped the translators so that everyone could hear it in their own language more quickly.  

7 minutes ago, rpn said:

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that all of the speakers were asked to pre-record their talks just in case they couldn't give them.  It would also have helped the translators so that everyone could hear it in their own language more quickly.  

That is what occurred to me when I heard it being announced.

8 hours ago, pogi said:

No, it doesn't.

8 hours ago, Duncan said:

the implications of this, how many folks they may have been around all need to be contacted etc.

Nobody needs to be contacted except for maybe his wife, and I think ... they've got that covered.

7 hours ago, pogi said:

Yes, I suppose it could have been a bad situation, if all of the alarmism in which some posters were engaged in earlier on this thread reflected ... reality ... but, it doesn't, so ... :huh::unknw::huh:

7 hours ago, Duncan said:

I think he pre-recorded it because as of this past weekend they didn't know but to err on the side of caution he stayed home and then I guess today or yestarday found out that they both have it

I'm writing in Elder Gong on my ballot.