Seriously No Politics ×

52 minutes ago, Pyreaux said:

Happy (or Somber) Memorial Day.

I remember you Papa and Mama.

Condolences on your losses, temporary though they may be.  I'm aware, acutely, that mere words cannot salve current pain, but I am reasonably certain that, indeed, you hold out hope for joyful reunions in the world to come.  It may seem as though those reunions cannot possibly come soon enough, but they will come.

Dennis Franz, a Vietnam combat Vet (a biographical detail concerning him of which I was unaware), shares his moving story.  He speaks movingly of the price he, along with too many other Vets, paid for his service.  They may live to tell about it, but it changes them in fundamental ways, and even now, too many who disagree with leaders are too willing to blame soldiers and other service personnel who simply went where their country sent them and tried their best to do what their leaders asked them to do.  Thanks, also, to those who served, who lived, and who bear so many scars that, though many of them are unseen, are no less real and no less painful.

Edited by Kenngo1969

Please don't turn this political.  Whatever one may think of the messenger, I  I think his message has great merit, especially on a day like today, and that's what we need to focus on.  I was particularly moved by what he said the WWI Soldier wrote on the fly leaf of his Bible.

3 hours ago, Dario_M said:

Sorry for your loss. ✝️🫂

Thanks, those would be my paternal grandparents who died when I was a child, Papa blew up Hitler's house in Austria, he and Mama lived through the Great Depression. There are 2 aunts and 2 cousins that died years ago. Not painful today, but it is after all a day to remember those who've died. I can only hope to be remembered long after I'm dead.

On 5/28/2023 at 10:43 PM, Pyreaux said:

Happy (or Somber) Memorial Day.

I remember you Papa and Mama.

I struggle with how to wish someone a 'Happy' Memorial Day and especially when that someone is s veteran. I texted my Marine Corps buddy and opened with "Here's to Memorial Day". It felt more appropriated and respectful. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

48 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

I struggle with how to wish someone a 'Happy' Memorial Day and especially when that someone is s veteran. I texted my Marine Corps buddy and opened with "Here's to Memorial Day". It felt more appropriated and respectful. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Certainly, its a day one can choose to "celebrate" and appropriately be "personally happy" and it's a habit to wish someone a "happy Holiday". Only as a holiday about death, its awkward to presume everyone should feel "happy". Pressure someone to be happy, to use happiness to avoid or escape any or all morning. It could have been a tragedy, or it's a bad relative, and the memory is unpleasant. One could define having a "Happy Memorial Day", as working through however you feel about it, then ultimately be happy once again at the end of the day.

The American soldiers have sacrificed as much as the Saviour, hopefully I'm not struck down by lightning. 

And usually it's a young 18 year old, that hasn't even been able to start their young life that has been taken. 

I personally know someone that was a prisoner of war and endured years of torture, luckily he survived and made it back to the homeland.

I'm not smart enough to know if this is a stupid question, but why does the US get involved so much and countries like Canada, New Zealand, Switzerland etc not do it?

Showing my stupidity, to get an answer. Hope that's okay with Ken and I don't derail. 

4 hours ago, Tacenda said:

he American soldiers have sacrificed as much as the Saviour, hopefully I'm not struck down by lightning. 

Have you considered this in detail?  Not only in being willing to give up their lives for others, but what they knowingly chose to go through in the process?  What they embraced and did not try and escape?

For example, how many do you know who bled from every pore due to mental, emotional, and spiritual suffering and did so intentionally?

1 hour ago, Calm said:

For example, how many do you know who bled from every pore due to mental, emotional, and spiritual suffering and did so intentionally?

Yes, the greater physical sacrifice I believe was in the garden. Though the Savior's torture leading up to the cross as well as while on the cross must have been horrific, it probably wasn't the most excruciating physical pain anyone has ever been through. The garden experience, however, singles him out from the rest of us. 

9 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I'm not smart enough to know if this is a stupid question, but why does the US get involved so much and countries like Canada, New Zealand, Switzerland etc not do it?

I started to answer and it was getting way too long, so trashed that and trying again. Let’s just say not only does size, location, and resources (including population) make a difference—and there is a huge difference between those three countries and the US, but history and therefore cultural attitudes make a difference as well. I am assuming you are most interested in cultural attitudes.

If you want some interesting views on the Canadian military from Canadians see this quora question, but sort under “upvotes”, not “recommended. Hopefully you will see several Canadian responses.  Americans often don’t have a correct view of the Canadian military or its history.  They see America as protecting Canada and Canada as pacifist.

https://www.quora.com/Is-proximity-to-the-United-States-the-reason-Canada-doesnt-have-a-strong-military?top_ans=152744311

Canada has been involved in quite a few international military actions.  Percentage wise more Canadians died in WWI and II than Americans, I believe.  They were involved in the Korean War, Afghanistan, and Iraq and lots of UN peacekeeping missions and NATO ones as well.

Switzerland’s neutrality was first practical (having just been defeated by France in early 1800’s iirc) and now seems much of an national identity from my uninformed position, but it finally joined the UN around 20 years ago.  It has even sent a small number of soldiers to Afghanistan, I think as observers.  It is decreasing its military’s size though and a good percentage of the population is against conscription, so even if it wanted to get involved, seems unlikely that it would. 

New Zealand…it contributed a lot for its size in the WWs.  It sent troops to Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan and against ISIS among others.  Also lots of peacekeeping missions. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_New_Zealand

Maybe the difference you are thinking of is Canada and New Zealand haven’t started wars where they have invaded other countries that I am aware of while the US has?

Edited by Calm

PS:  to tie it sort of back to the subject, Canada has Remembrance Day on November 11th that felt bigger and more personal to me than the way we celebrate Veteran’s Day. Canada’s Memorial Day is Canada Day, July 1st. I didn’t realize it was more than their (nonviolent :) ) Independence/Confederation Day. 

4 hours ago, Calm said:

Have you considered this in detail?  Not only in being willing to give up their lives for others, but what they knowingly chose to go through in the process?  What they embraced and did not try and escape?

I edited and removed a long drawn out response, but realized I was going to start a big derail. 

Edited by Tacenda
29 minutes ago, Calm said:

I started to answer and it was getting way too long, so trashed that and trying again. Let’s just say not only does size, location, and resources (including population) make a difference—and there is a huge difference between those three countries and the US, but history and therefore cultural attitudes make a difference as well. I am assuming you are most interested in cultural attitudes.

If you want some interesting views on the Canadian military from Canadians see this quora question, but sort under “upvotes”, not “recommended. Hopefully you will see several Canadian responses.  Americans often don’t have a correct view of the Canadian military or its history.  They see America as protecting Canada and Canada as pacifist.

https://www.quora.com/Is-proximity-to-the-United-States-the-reason-Canada-doesnt-have-a-strong-military?top_ans=152744311

Canada has been involved in quite a few international military actions.  Percentage wise more Canadians died in WWI and II than Americans, I believe.  They were involved in the Korean War, Afghanistan, and Iraq and lots of UN peacekeeping missions and NATO ones as well.

Switzerland’s neutrality was first practical (having just been defeated by France in early 1800’s iirc) and now seems much of an national identity from my uninformed position, but it finally joined the UN around 20 years ago.  It has even sent a small number of soldiers to Afghanistan, I think as observers.  It is decreasing its military’s size though and a good percentage of the population is against conscription, so even if it wanted to get involved, seems unlikely that it would. 

New Zealand…it contributed a lot for its size in the WWs.  It sent troops to Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan and against ISIS among others.  Also lots of peacekeeping missions. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_New_Zealand

Maybe the difference you are thinking of is Canada and New Zealand haven’t started wars where they have invaded other countries that I am aware of while the US has?

Thank you Calm, you are young, but I don't have my dear mother to go to and I look to you for wisdom, can I admit this without you thinking I'm a crazy person. :)

2 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Thank you Calm, you are young, but I don't have my dear mother to go to and I look to you for wisdom, can I admit this without you thinking I'm a crazy person. :)

You are a sweetie. :) I know I can dump info on you and you appreciate it instead of thinking I am patronizing you. That is a gift. 

19 hours ago, Pyreaux said:

I can only hope to be remembered long after I'm dead.

Allthough i don't know you personaly you seem to be very nice. And always willing the help me with my questions. So i will remember that. So at least i will remember your posts. Forever! 🫂

On 5/30/2023 at 1:19 PM, Tacenda said:

Showing my stupidity, to get an answer. Hope that's okay with Ken and I don't derail. 

The United States is a hegemonic world power. What that means is that the United States can intervene in just about any dispute between nations and influence the internal politics of other nations. They don't always intervene but every national government on Earth at this time that makes a major political, diplomatic, economic, or (especially) military move has to consider whether the United States will choose to intervene. Often the answer is no but the US has that option. Canada, New Zealand, and Switzerland do not have that level of soft (or hard) power. As to why the United States can do this this is a decent primer:

https://acoup.blog/2022/07/08/collections-is-the-united-states-exceptional/

3 hours ago, The Nehor said:

The United States is a hegemonic world power. What that means is that the United States can intervene in just about any dispute between nations and influence the internal politics of other nations. They don't always intervene but every national government on Earth at this time that makes a major political, diplomatic, economic, or (especially) military move has to consider whether the United States will choose to intervene. Often the answer is no but the US has that option. Canada, New Zealand, and Switzerland do not have that level of soft (or hard) power. As to why the United States can do this this is a decent primer:

https://acoup.blog/2022/07/08/collections-is-the-united-states-exceptional/

Well.. i hope you guys will help us in case we will get in a war with Russia. I'm always so scared that that will happen. 😭

6 hours ago, Dario_M said:

Well.. i hope you guys will help us in case we will get in a war with Russia. I'm always so scared that that will happen. 😭

NATO Article 5 says yes.

The threat from Russia is less than what it once was. Russia has been held back by Ukraine. They couldn’t launch a conventional attack on Europe as a whole like they did in World War 2 when defeating the Germans or threatened to do after the conflict. Their one remaining card is the threat of nuclear attack but that is suicide for them and we really don’t know what the state of their arsenal is. If it has been the target of the same grifting and spoiling the rest of Russia’s military has dealt with there may be little to nothing left that will actually work.

Obviously though with the stakes that high no one wants to test how well they work. I think the threat of Russia using those weapons is minor. Even if Putin is insane enough to order such an attack my guess is he is quickly killed and the attack is never launched.

Edited by The Nehor