Houston...We Got Mormons

Darren10

18 minutes ago, Darren10 said:

Ahhhh, the Mormons are making the news rounds.....excellent! :)

Darren10 my niece on my husband's side wants to go to Houston and help. Is this a good idea, because if so, I'd love to also. Or are we in the way if we go? I saw a huge line of volunteers on FB the other day. :)

5 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Darren10 my niece on my husband's side wants to go to Houston and help. Is this a good idea, because if so, I'd love to also. Or are we in the way if we go? I saw a huge line of volunteers on FB the other day. :)

That's very kind of both of you. You absolutely may come and help. There are lines and lines of people waiting outside of shelters waiting to get in and...volunteer(!!!) so if you two come you may not be able to volunteer at one of these shelters but you can always hook up with local LDS leaders and find out when Mormon Helping Hands go out and clean up neighborhood homes. There's plenty of those to work with. Make sure are absolutely clear in how to get to Houston. Forget flying in at this time and driving can be very tricky at this time as well. Make sure you plan a route that has already been cleared of water and debris. Google maps should show routes that are still closed.

Edited by Darren10
4 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I would not just drive down. Make sure you have a place to stay. Look at ldsphilantropies.or or justserve.org for places that need you. If you come down not having a plan and working with an organization you may become  a burden rather than a help. 

8 minutes ago, Rain said:

I would not just drive down. Make sure you have a place to stay. Look at ldsphilantropies.or or justserve.org for places that need you. If you come down not having a plan and working with an organization you may become  a burden rather than a help. 

I signed up with the Red Cross a few days ago, they called me just about a half hour ago wondering if I'd like to volunteer there. They said I could choose how long or when. I guess they're going to need volunteers for many, many months. 

7 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I signed up with the Red Cross a few days ago, they called me just about a half hour ago wondering if I'd like to volunteer there. They said I could choose how long or when. I guess they're going to need volunteers for many, many months. 

Cool! How long will you be then? 

Just now, Rain said:

Cool! How long will you be then? 

Well after I got off the phone, my husband wasn't too excited about me just taking off and not knowing what would happen. After he settled down, he now wants to go, so I guess we'll see. I'm thinking after the water recedes they'll need people to help with homes that need to be rebuilt or just a lot of clean up. It's a big question mark right now, if my husband wants to go. When my husband got upset about it, he wasn't aware that I'd put in an application a few days ago. He thought the person calling was just a random phone call and couldn't believe I would go without knowing any of the people going down. I told him, "Well you went on your mission not knowing anyone, for two years!". 

5 hours ago, Tacenda said:

My brother lives in the Dallas area. The church specifically asked that the members there not head down to Houston, because it's still in a bit of chaos and can slow down emergency relief efforts in the mess. Instead they were asked to help in the area around them, particularly in housing people who may need temporary homes. But that may be area specific. When Katrina happened the church had a very organized method to maintain continued and fresh clean up work through the helping hands. They webbed out through the stakes surrounding New Orleans to have them come to the area in consistent groups. This meant it wasn't a rapid inundation of volunteers and they were able to maintain the same level of help for far longer. Right now, donating money to a relief group already down there may be more helpful. 

EDIT: I saw that you already figured it out! 

With luv,

BD

Edited by BlueDreams

Wife anyone wants a place to stay you're more than welcome to stay with us. That is, if you're willing to put up with two dogs and a foul mouth matriarch. We'd be glad to have one or two if you here but we need to know ahead of time. 

Edited by Darren10

I know Mormon Heling Hands organizes by stakes and you have to sign up for a certain day. In Florida, stakes travelled to Mississippi to help with clean up and I thought they even took them on busses. We were able to drive to a stake center but then we car pooled to the service area. 

3 hours ago, bsjkki said:

I know Mormon Heling Hands organizes by stakes and you have to sign up for a certain day. In Florida, stakes travelled to Mississippi to help with clean up and I thought they even took them on busses. We were able to drive to a stake center but then we car pooled to the service area. 

I know either the email I got or the attached letter said things would be sent down through priesthood lines so that makes sense.  

15 hours ago, Tacenda said:

So admire you...keep me posted okay?  I would love to do this but need to work..that being said, we have set up help at every store.  Kudos..what a wonderful experience to be needed and able to help. 

17 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Please keep up us all updated on how this goes for you! In five years, when my last kiddo is gone...I would love to sign-up and get  trained to do this. 

12 hours ago, Jeanne said:

So admire you...keep me posted okay?  I would love to do this but need to work..that being said, we have set up help at every store.  Kudos..what a wonderful experience to be needed and able to help. 

10 hours ago, bsjkki said:

Please keep up us all updated on how this goes for you! In five years, when my last kiddo is gone...I would love to sign-up and get  trained to do this. 

I always wanted to do something like this, hopefully will follow through. I'll let you know. :)