Real housewives of Salt Lake City !

JAHS

Mormon Alert! The Real Housewives Franchise Is Heading to Salt Lake City

Time to brush up on the liquor laws pioneered by Utah’s Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control. We’re quizzing you later! Andy Cohen confirmed on Saturday that Salt Lake City will be the newest city joining the esteemed Real Housewives franchise on Bravo. Per People, Cohen announced the news at the network’s annual fan convention, where he was effusive in his praise of the beehive state. “I have to tell you, in Utah, you’ve got the majesty of the mountains, you’ve got the majesty of the Mormon religion, you’ve got an exclusive community of people who have very successful businesses who live in their own universe,” he said. “It is gorgeous and I think you’re going to be really surprised and intrigued by the group of women we’ve found.” Cohen added that the city was chosen due to being “unique” and a bit of a “curveball.”

Hmmmm. This should be interesting

• Like 2
5 hours ago, JAHS said:

This should be interesting

Never watched the shows.  From what little I hear it comes across as a vanity/soap opera show, each trying to outdo and dominate the others and the more bizarre or vicious the behaviour the better for ratings.  Are they actually different?

The connotation of the term "housewife" doesn't really match up with how the wealthy women of these shows live their lives from again what little I have hear.  There is something inappropriate imo with the label being attached to "the lives of upper-class women who "lead glamorous lives in a picturesque Southern California gated community where the average home has a $1.6 million price tag and residents include CEOs and retired professional athletes.""

From wiki:

"

The reality series is critiqued as promoting consumerism through programming.[25] It is also seen as perpetuating gender stereotypes by highlighting women as shoppers more so than career women.[25] Their lavish lifestyles have also contributed to the misconception that financial wealth equals happiness.[citation needed] Feminist leader Gloria Steinem has vociferously criticized the "Housewives" franchise for "presenting women as rich, pampered, dependent and hateful towards each other."[26] Steinem summed up her dislike of the show in 2013: 

"It is women, all dressed up and inflated and plastic surgeried and false bosomed and incredible amount of money spent, not getting along with each other. Fighting with each other. It is a minstrel show for women. I don't believe it, I have to say. I feel like it's manufactured, that the fights between them are manufactured and they're supposed to go after each other in a kind of conflicting way."[27]

The New York Times ran an article in October 2019 criticizing how the casts of the different Housewives franchises are "segregated" by skin color.[28] Author Tracie Egan Morrissey pointed to Potomac and Atlanta for their almost entirely African American casts, while the other iterations (Beverly Hills, Orange County, Dallas, New York, and New Jersey) are overwhelmingly white and have featured few women of color. Real Housewives of New York has never featured a woman of color as a "Housewife", while the addition of Kary Brittingham to Dallas in 2019 marked the show's first non-white cast member. Beverly Hills, with the exception of Season 4's Joyce Giraud, featured "a racially homogeneous cast throughout its run", until the addition of Garcelle Beauvais, also in 2019.[28]"

I do not see this as a positive for SLC in anyway.

Gunvalson was a member of the original "Real Housewives of Orange County" cast, which made up the very first version of the show. 

Over nearly 13 years, fans have seen Gunvalson in just about any and every situation, from screaming about "never having been with multiple partners" on a ski slope to screaming about being forced to ride in a "family van" to the airport....

Wine throwing has become a "Real Housewives" signature move, all thanks to the originator of the action: "Real Housewives of Orange County" star, Tamra Judge.

At the time, Judge was fighting with a former cast member, Jeana Keough, and threatening her with a "cyst and deceased." After things got heated, Judge threw red wine in Keough's face. Eventually, Judge apologized. 

Since then, Brandi Glanville, Danielle Staub, and many other wives have taken to chucking vino during heated arguments....

Drescher appeared on two seasons of "RHONY" and was known for her feuds with several castmates, which culminated in Drescher throwing her prosthetic leg during a finale episode. In explaining herself, Drescher revealed that producers reward castmates who stir things up.

According to Drescher, she was given an eight-week contract and told that, if she "delivered drama" during that time, her contract would be extended. Drescher accused the aforementioned Radziwell of hiring a ghostwriter, and according to Drescher, her contract was extended.

This is what people want to watch?

https://www.insider.com/behind-the-scenes-real-housewives-fun-facts-2019-1#vicki-gunvalson-is-the-first-and-longest-running-housewife-in-the-original-franchises-2

Edited by Calm
22 minutes ago, rpn said:

So maybe they are planning to do it with people who  don't do everything the rest of the franchises do?

One hopes...

The Mormon culture appears to be one of the reasons they chose here.

8 hours ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

Another show, I would never want to see,  but I fear the critical fallout. 

Agreed.  This is the type of thing that holds no interest for me.  It sounds like a semi-reality soap opera. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2019 at 6:44 PM, strappinglad said:

Can't wait. A SLC lady with her 5 kids under 12 meets with her ministering sisters to swop recipes while they make green jello and funeral potatoes .😍 

Now that I could watch!

• 6 months later...

An update:

THE Real Housewives of Salt Lake City is the newest franchise coming to Bravo's fan-favorite series.

When people think of the Real Housewives they think of glamor, cat-fights and back-stabbing - so Mormon millionaires may not seem like the obvious candidates for the show.

RHOSLC was announced by executive producer and Watch What Happens Live host, Andy Cohen, at Bravo Con in November 2019.

"Expect mountains, expect snow, and expect, you know, some Mormons," Cohen told ET in February.

"What would a Mormon Housewife look like? Stay tuned... a production company brought us unbelievable women, and the cool thing about Salt Lake City is, they're leading these aspirational lives.

"When you look at the footage, it is a fantasy life. For me, just the snow and the scenery and the lifestyle, it's really cool," he said.

The cast were announced by Bravo in November 2019.

It will feature Lisa Barlow, Jen Shah, Heather Gay, Meredith Marks, Whitney Rose, Sara McArthur-Pierce and Angie Harrington.

"These Women are for sure involved on the show rather they are Full Time or a Friend. Either way WE ALREDY LOVE THEM!!!" (sic), the show's official Instagram account announced.

The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City will be the 10th franchise in the history of The Real Housewives, joining The Real Housewives of Orange County, The Real Housewives of New York City, The Real Housewives of Atlanta, The Real Housewives of New Jersey, The Real Housewives of D.C., The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, The Real Housewives of Miami, The Real Housewives of Potomac, and The Real Housewives of Dallas.

Never having seen an episode of "The Real Housewives of _____________," I am in position of ignorance here.  However, I'm not particularly optimistic that this will do well.  As a reality show, won't it try to court controversy (and ratings) by stoking interpersonal conflicts, creating drama, encouraging vanity, etc.?

Ugh.  I just watched a "highlight reel" on YouTube.  Well, "skimmed" rather than "watched," since it was not pleasant to watch, being interesting only in a "dumpster fire" sort of say.  Why on earth would women behave this way?  Why would they do so in public?  Why would women behave this way in public and as part of a reality TV series where they know their hijinks and buffoonery will be broadcast to the world?  

Also, the other series seem to involve a lot of alcohol.  I mean, a lot.  That makes sense in a way, as I doubt self-respecting women who are sober would debase themselves on TV by behaving like . . . well, look at the clips.  

Is this TV series as deprecating to women as the clips on YouTube make them out to be?

Thanks,

-Smac

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, smac97 said:

An update:

Never having seen an episode of "The Real Housewives of _____________," I am in position of ignorance here.  However, I'm not particularly optimistic that this will do well.  As a reality show, won't it try to court controversy (and ratings) by stoking interpersonal conflicts, creating drama, encouraging vanity, etc.?

Ugh.  I just watched a "highlight reel" on YouTube.  Well, "skimmed" rather than "watched," since it was not pleasant to watch, being interesting only in a "dumpster fire" sort of say.  Why on earth would women behave this way?  Why would they do so in public?  Why would women behave this way in public and as part of a reality TV series where they know their hijinks and buffoonery will be broadcast to the world?  

Also, the other series seem to involve a lot of alcohol.  I mean, a lot.  That makes sense in a way, as I doubt self-respecting women who are sober would debase themselves on TV by behaving like . . . well, look at the clips.  

Is this TV series as deprecating to women as the clips on YouTube make them out to be?

Thanks,

-Smac

The only reason I can think of for someone wanting to be on this show is the notoriety that usually comes with it.  Some of the Housewives from other seasons are pop culture famous now and some people really want that kind of attention.  I'm with you though, the women on the previous shows (I've never seen it either so just going off of commercials) come off as embarrassing, juvenile, shallow, and vain.  The world is truly a messed up place when that is the kind of attention people are seeking. 

• Like 3
32 minutes ago, smac97 said:

Why on earth would women behave this way?  Why would they do so in public?

Why do men brag about their sexual encounters in public? Wear speedos?  Turn boxing into a sport?  Risk everything for an affair?

https://www.cnn.com/2012/04/23/opinion/ghitis-men-stupid/index.html

https://www.healthline.com/health/mental-health/attention-seeking-behavior#takeaway

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Calm said:

Why do men brag about their sexual encounters in public? Wear speedos?  Turn boxing into a sport?  Risk everything for an affair?

https://www.cnn.com/2012/04/23/opinion/ghitis-men-stupid/index.html

https://www.healthline.com/health/mental-health/attention-seeking-behavior#takeaway

I did not mean to disparage women generally, or imply that men can't behave deprecatingly.

Thanks,

Smac

I was just pointing to it being a very human characteristic, explained by the same reasons.

3 hours ago, Calm said:

Why on earth would women behave this way?  Why would they do so in public?

Why do men brag about their sexual encounters in public?

I don't know.  Immaturity?  Insecurity?  Depravity?

3 hours ago, Calm said:

Wear speedos?  

Apart from professional swimmers, I have no idea.

3 hours ago, Calm said:

Turn boxing into a sport?  

Didn't boxing start out as a sport?

3 hours ago, Calm said:

Risk everything for an affair?

Dunno.  Lack of moral character?  Boredom?  

Not sure what these questions are about.

Thanks,

-Smac

3 hours ago, Calm said:

Why do men brag about their sexual encounters in public?

Insecurity. It is a way of peacocking in front of your own gender mostly. Women, either due to nature or nature or both, peacock in a different way. I expect a lot of problems could be resolved in this area by making cheating or the need to sow wild oats or whatever the sign of insecurity. I remember a fantasy novel as a kid I read where a male dwarf has human mating practices described to him and is utterly confused at how insecure so many humans are in their marriages.

3 hours ago, Calm said:

Wear speedos?

Best support. Don't knock it til you try it.

3 hours ago, Calm said:

Turn boxing into a sport?  

It is not truly a sport anymore. It is a rigged mess designed to avoid upsets and and keep people as champions. The only thing more real about it compared to pro wrestling is that they are actually trying to hurt each other. The rest is rigged.

3 hours ago, Calm said:

Risk everything for an affair?

To prove to themselves they still got it. Desire for novelty. Brain drowned in media allowing and encouraging it. Feeling of deserving it. Blaming it on a dull marriage. Toxic masculinity.

Mostly what that article said though. Arrogance. No one thinks they will get caught and most people are not nearly as clever about hiding their sins as they think they are. Me on the other hand? I am that clever. ;) 

1 hour ago, smac97 said:

I don't know.  Immaturity?  Insecurity?  Depravity?

Apart from professional swimmers, I have no idea.

Didn't boxing start out as a sport?

Dunno.  Lack of moral character?  Boredom?  

Not sure what these questions are about.

Thanks,

-Smac

Women do stupid things for the same reasons men do...boredom, lack of moral character, immaturity, insecurity, arrogance.

Edited by Calm
  • Like 2
13 minutes ago, Calm said:

Women do stupid things for the same reasons men do...boredom, lack of moral character, immaturity, insecurity, arrogance.

I guess what I don't get is doing this stuff in the public sphere.

• Like 1

The same principle as there is no such thing as bad publicity.

For those who care about reputation (whether fake or actually moral, etc) more than fame, it likely doesn't make sense.

Google "stop making stupid people famous" to observe critics of the phenomena (I prefer giving them attention rather than the 'stupid' people they are critiquing).

Edited by Calm

"Stupid people". 

This reminds me of a file I pulled up on my computer hard drive today (coincidentally), of a post that someone made back in 1995 and the reply that followed (it's classic).  I'll quote the whole thing below with the names and actual email addresses withheld:

Subject: WILL stupid people be ressurected stupid?
Date: 21 Apr 95 08:23:33 MDT
Message-ID: <1995Apr21.082333.48128@abc.edu>

Just wondering.

John Doe
        johndoe@abc.edu

===========================================

Subject: Re: WILL stupid people be ressurected stupid?
Date: 21 Apr 1995 14:54:32 GMT
Message-ID: <3n8gv8$s3l@xyz.edu>

DUNGEON WARRIOR (johndoe@abc.edu) wrote:
: Just wondering.

:         John Doe
:        johndoe@abc.edu

Are you worried or something?

The misspelling of "resurrected" is icing on the cake too  :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2020 at 4:49 PM, smac97 said:

I guess what I don't get is doing this stuff in the public sphere.

Followers of the "all press is good press" sphere of thought. To many infamy is better than obscurity.

• Like 2
On 6/26/2020 at 2:11 AM, InCognitus said:

"Stupid people". 

This reminds me of a file I pulled up on my computer hard drive today (coincidentally), of a post that someone made back in 1995 and the reply that followed (it's classic).  I'll quote the whole thing below with the names and actual email addresses withheld:

:lol:

On 6/26/2020 at 9:11 AM, InCognitus said:

"Stupid people". 

There was a discussion here once upon a time wherein someone, in all seriousness, opined that people with Down's Syndrome should be resurrected that way because people with that affliction were such sweet spirits.  Yikes.