Walden Posted February 8, 2016 Posted February 8, 2016 Just saw Selma over the weekend...a little slow in parts, but a great movie (even my 8 and 10 year old boys were captivated)
thesometimesaint Posted February 9, 2016 Posted February 9, 2016 Ant Man, great fun for the preteen and older set.
Deborah Posted February 10, 2016 Posted February 10, 2016 Ant Man was fun and great dialogue. Guilty admission: I love Pride and Prejudice. I also love zombies so guess what my daughter and I saw, lol. Fun movie and surprisingly close to the book with the same dialogue in many cases. Only difference zombies were thrown in.
Tacenda Posted February 14, 2016 Posted February 14, 2016 Watching a PBS program about the dust bowl. I love the movie "Grapes of Wrath" with Henry Fonda. I hope the black and white, won't scare any away, like it does my husband, lol. If any can find it, it's worth your while!!
bluebell Posted February 15, 2016 Posted February 15, 2016 Watched The Painted Veil on On Demand last night. It's a kind of love story between an english husband and wife while they are in china in 1925 during a cholera outbreak. It stars Naomi Watts and Edward Norton. It's a great movie on real love and redemption. I highly recommend it, especially for a valentine's night movie.
saemo Posted February 15, 2016 Posted February 15, 2016 (edited) I watched two movies yesterday, The Revenant, at a theater. It doesn't follow the book so well. The relationship with a Native American and their son does not exist in the book. This aspect of the screenplay reminded me of Jeremiah Johnson. Heavily borrowed, but not necessarily bad. Just, not creative. The cinematography was beautiful. The story long. 2.5 hours. Can't say I really liked it, or that I didn't like it. There are aspects I did like, the cinematography, Leonard Decaprio's performance, the bad guy was truly, bad, down to his core. I like a western frontier story where the black and white is well defined. With work off today I stayed up late and watched Ex Machina. Ok, also, heavily borrowed, from 2001 Space Odyssey. You know, Hal? It's put in the category of psychological thriller, but nah. More like a machine that plays chess better than the humans. I thought it was just ok. A decent movie for a late night. The acting was ok, but this is an independent film, meaning, low budget. This can put the movie in a position of really standing on its own. The screenplay, directing, photography and acting have to come together coherently, which, it does. So that was enjoyable. (By that I mean, less reliance on expensive fx, explosions, and other high budget tools, that keep the audience attention, giving us the illusion of good story telling. Bleh.) Edited February 15, 2016 by saemo
Garden Girl Posted February 15, 2016 Posted February 15, 2016 (edited) I watched a favorite... Dead Poet's Society... starring Robin Williams, who gave an excellent performance as a popular English Prof (nicknamed The Captain as in "Captain, My Captain") at an upscale boys' prep school. He tried to encourage the boys to live life as in Carpe Diem... Seize the Day... to look at things from a different perspective. To illustrate he stood on a desk, and had each boy take a turn at standing on the desk. In the story there is an incident with a boy and his family that created a scandal ending in tragedy... and the school admin needing a scapegoat unfairly blames Williams for having too much influence on the boy and fires Williams. When Williams goes to his classroom to collect some personal belongings, which is in session and being taught temporarily by the dean, he is told to get his possessions and leave... The last scene of the film is so powerful... Just as Williams is leaving, one boy stands on his desk and says... Oh Captain, my Captain... and one by one most of the boys stand on their desks facing Williams, as the red-faced angry dean is shouting for them to get down!! Get down!! The music plays as each boy stands... Williams standing in the doorway says... Thank you, boys... and leaves... GG Edited February 15, 2016 by Garden Girl 3
sunstoned Posted February 16, 2016 Posted February 16, 2016 I have been streaming the new SyFi series Expanse. In a couple of the episodes there is reference the Mormon church. It is good to know that we are still around several hundred years into the future!
deli_llama Posted February 17, 2016 Posted February 17, 2016 22 hours ago, sunstoned said: I have been streaming the new SyFi series Expanse. In a couple of the episodes there is reference the Mormon church. It is good to know that we are still around several hundred years into the future! The Angel Moroni in space was the wallpaper for a week or so. Just finished watching Dersu Uzala again—1975 vintage.
Garden Girl Posted February 17, 2016 Posted February 17, 2016 I'm currently watching Turner Classic Movies... a real favorite... "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir." The story of a widow who goes to live in a cottage by the sea... Gull Cottage... That's what I call my little cottage... because I was so taken with the cottage in the movie... But I don't want my cottage haunted, not even by a handsome sea captain!! I loved the way she walked along the beach.. finding peace and comfort in the sea... GG
Rivers Posted February 17, 2016 Posted February 17, 2016 I recently watched Stardust. Its kind of like Princess Bride but not nearly as good. Before that I watched Bridge of Spies. Great Cold war drama. Very good film. One can never go wrong with Spielberg and Tom Hanks.
bluebell Posted February 17, 2016 Posted February 17, 2016 I really liked Stardust. Fairy tale stories geared towards adults are so rare.
Deborah Posted February 17, 2016 Posted February 17, 2016 I liked Stardust too. And the Walking Dead is back and that opening episode was a knock-out from start to finish. It showed why this show had kept going after 6 years.
bluebell Posted February 17, 2016 Posted February 17, 2016 I was impressed with the Walking Dead return. I did not like the beginning of the season at all and was actually dreading how the were going to handle Sunday's episode. It was good though. I'm excited again about the series.
Calm Posted February 18, 2016 Posted February 18, 2016 19 hours ago, Garden Girl said: I'm currently watching Turner Classic Movies... a real favorite... "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir." The story of a widow who goes to live in a cottage by the sea... Gull Cottage... Did you ever watch the TV series?...trying to remember it and can't. Must go and google.
Garden Girl Posted February 18, 2016 Posted February 18, 2016 41 minutes ago, Calm said: Did you ever watch the TV series?...trying to remember it and can't. Must go and google. No, didn't watch the series... GG
Calm Posted February 18, 2016 Posted February 18, 2016 I was ten years old and it was one of the few shows we got to watch...which means it was either Friday or Saturday night, we couldn't watch TV on school nights.
Rivers Posted February 19, 2016 Posted February 19, 2016 On Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 4:52 PM, bluebell said: I was impressed with the Walking Dead return. I did not like the beginning of the season at all and was actually dreading how the were going to handle Sunday's episode. It was good though. I'm excited again about the series. I'm one of the two or three people that has not watched The Walking Dead. I guess I need to jump on the band wagon.
Calm Posted February 19, 2016 Posted February 19, 2016 I don't like Zombie stuff or horror or most things intentionally ugly or cluttered. I grew up in a very artistically designed, though modestly furnished home and now I feel anxious when stuff is intentionally made to look bad. OTOH, my daughter grew up in the same sort of environment (since I tried to duplicate the effort and have been told I succeeded pretty well) and yet she loves the stuff...hmm...guess I can't use that excuse of highbrow taste anymore. 1
VideoGameJunkie Posted February 19, 2016 Posted February 19, 2016 5 hours ago, Rivers said: I'm one of the two or three people that has not watched The Walking Dead. I guess I need to jump on the band wagon. I don't watch it either. I'm sick of zombies. My only experience with them were the Resident Evil video games and that was enough.
Garden Girl Posted February 19, 2016 Posted February 19, 2016 1 hour ago, VideoGameJunkie said: I don't watch it either. I'm sick of zombies. My only experience with them were the Resident Evil video games and that was enough. What is it with all the zombie stuff... and vampires... can't stand either... And I find I cannot watch really scary movies anymore, particularly women being attacked... GG
bluebell Posted February 19, 2016 Posted February 19, 2016 11 hours ago, Rivers said: I'm one of the two or three people that has not watched The Walking Dead. I guess I need to jump on the band wagon. If you like the genre, i highly recommend it.
bluebell Posted February 19, 2016 Posted February 19, 2016 5 hours ago, Garden Girl said: What is it with all the zombie stuff... and vampires... can't stand either... Maybe it's pure escapism. After watching that kind of stuff you sort of realize that any day without a zombie apocalypse is a good day. 3
Deborah Posted February 19, 2016 Posted February 19, 2016 5 hours ago, Garden Girl said: What is it with all the zombie stuff... and vampires... can't stand either... And I find I cannot watch really scary movies anymore, particularly women being attacked... GG I don't watch slasher movies. Zombies on the other hand are about survival against tremendous odds. The reason the WD is so popular is because it is about the characters and how they had to meet the challenges of living in a lost world. Each of the characters have faced some hard choices and sometimes they chose right and sometimes wrong. I love to watch the early episodes and see how the characters have grown. 1
JLHPROF Posted February 19, 2016 Posted February 19, 2016 8 hours ago, Garden Girl said: What is it with all the zombie stuff... and vampires... can't stand either... And I find I cannot watch really scary movies anymore, particularly women being attacked... GG Just curious - do people here restrict themselves as to content or rating in the movies & tv they watch? I see people recommending movies I wouldn't watch, and then I hypocritically could recommend movies that you really shouldn't watch either.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now