Seriously No Politics ×

Last Movie You Watched

altersteve

Say what you thought about the film, who's in it, what's about, etc., and try to include the rating and the reason for its rating in your review so that the parents here can be informed about whether or not they should take their kids to go see it.

Last movie I saw was Warrior, for the third time. An amazing and intense film starring Joel Edgerton, Tom Hardy, and Nick Nolte about two brothers who enter a mixed martial arts tournament, both for a good reason, and their strained relationship with each other and with their father. The intense fight scenes and the acting are phenomenal. I strongly suggest watching it, even if you're not a fan of MMA (I'm not, and I still loved it), because the mixed martial arts fighting is not the focus of the film; it's message is about the bonds of family and the power of forgiveness, and if it doesn't make you cry (or at least get a little emotional) or cheer, then you probably don't have a heart. Highly recommended. (It's PG-13 for "sequences of intense mixed martial arts fighting, some language and thematic material," so it's not for young children. The fight scenes are very brutal at times, the themes are mature and emotional, and the language is brief but strong.)

I plan on seeing the new Hugh Jackman film Real Steel tonight. I'm an avid movie watcher and I work at a movie theater, so I get to see movies there for free, so I may be posting here a lot. ;)

Edited by altersteve

I watched Aliens, Aliens 3 and Alien Resurrection. All are R rated for gore and language. I will note however that these were all shown on TV and were edited. I just grew up with these films and enjoy them quite a bit. I think the last film I saw in the theater was Pirates, the latest installment. That show was PG-13 mainly for some intense scenes and some language. I enjoyed the film quite a bit more than Pirates 3.

I wanted to watch Warrior but I lack the funding to go to the movies right now. I also wanted to take the kids to see Winnie the Pooh.

If you meant when I last went to the movie theater then "Tangled" a Disney flick about Repunzel, her hair and the infamous Flynn Rider.

I found it funny(in a good way) and the CGI are excellent. Not as good as Avatar, but still excellent.

Though rated PG small kids should be able to enjoy it along with their parents.

Edited by thesometimesaint

I loved "Tangled", Good entertainment. I always loved that story, as a kid. :)

Last movie I watched was at home (Netflix choice), "Gandhi". That's one of my all time favorite movies and I hadn't watched it in years. Just as good as I remembered. Three hours, though, so it takes a huge time commitment! Well worth it.

Edited by Libs

I watched THOR at home on blueray.I would rate it PG13 just for the violence. Nice CGI . I could not get passed two things though. 1. with all the obvious technology they could not get Odin a new eye,not even a prosthetic one. 2. riding horses on the wormhole bridge??

Last two I watched are Tony Hillerman movies from Netflix. I enjoy them quite a bit and like the author. The actors were great. I have read reviews that did not like the music background but I thought it was perfect. The two were from American Masterpiece Theatre. If you have never read a Tony Hillerman book I recommend them. Very insightful material.

Watched Fast Five last night, the fifth film in the Fast & Furious series. Loved it. I love how they got away from the whole street racing thing for this one; it's a straight-up action film. The car chase at the end is the best car chase I've ever seen. It stars Vin Diesel and is pretty violent and has some very intense action scenes throughout the movie, so the PG-13 rating is appropriate.

Last time I went to the theater was to see "Secretariat"... about the famous race horse... I actually remember watching TV to see his Belmont win to take the Triple Crown, and how far ahead he was of all the other horses... 31 lengths... his time and winning distance have never been approached.

At home I watched "Dave" starring Kevin Kline and Sigourney Weaver... (a clever story of impersonating the Pres of U.S. when he has a stroke),

and "The Emperor's Club," also starring Kevin Kline (sort of a Goodbye Mr. Chips story).

GG

I just saw Real Steel a few days ago.

Now that is a great movie! Hugh Jackman did a good job, as always, but I was especially impressed by the young man playing the lead role, Dakota Goyo. He also played the role of Young Thor.

That kid is a good actor, and I look forward to what we have to see from him in the coming years.

I think the last movie I watched in the theater was Cowboys and Aliens. I was certain it was going to be a complete waste of time and ridiculous to boot, but since Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford were in it, decided to give it a shot. I was pleasantly surprised to find it very watchable, intriguing and entertaining. It hit the mark as far as science-fiction films are concerned. With all the violence, it is not for young children.

Several nieces and nephews were visiting for the weekend, and we were trying to figure out what to watch. Their parents aren't really in to movies, so they hadn't seen much. Of course, when I found out they had only seen two of the Star Wars movies and neither were The Empire Strikes Back, I told their parents I was thinking of calling CPS. We watched it, and it was the first time I had watched it start to finish in a while. Just an amazing movie, and even more amazing when compared to the prequels. It's fun to watch a classic movie like that with people who haven't seen it.

Several nieces and nephews were visiting for the weekend, and we were trying to figure out what to watch. Their parents aren't really in to movies, so they hadn't seen much. Of course, when I found out they had only seen two of the Star Wars movies and neither were The Empire Strikes Back, I told their parents I was thinking of calling CPS. We watched it, and it was the first time I had watched it start to finish in a while. Just an amazing movie, and even more amazing when compared to the prequels. It's fun to watch a classic movie like that with people who haven't seen it.

I agree 100%! Empire is soooo much better than Return of the Jedi. Why did Lucas have to ruin that movie with the 15 minute ending of all of the Ewoks dancing and singing that stupid "Chub Chub" song?

I'm not a big movie fan. I rarely watch them, and I am nothing like a knowledgeable critic. The last films I watched were (on Netflix) Daddy Daycare and (in the theatre) Harry Potter 7B.

Daddy Daycare is an important flick (in my opinion, although too little attention is paid to the underlying theme) because it shows that children need men in their lives. Mothers (especially single mothers) should look for "Daddy Daycares" precisely because their sons need role models and their daughters need men who care about them so they can develop skills connecting with men. It also shows that truth of the statement, "Any honest work is honorable work". I have toyed with the idea of opening "GranpaLe's DayCare Center", but I'm really getting a bit old for juggling fifteen children under 8 for ten hours a day, and still having the energy to be GrandpaLe to the 27 who have the constitutional right to call me that.

Harry Potter is a classic in the book. Not so much in the films, although 7B is probably the best in terms of making the good-v.-evil battle and the morals we derive from it central to the story. I love Rupert Grint—I believe him to be the best actor in the series, and Emma Watson is going to be a hit forever, if she, unlike Daniel Radcliffe, avoids the idiocy of "child stardom". (So many of them seem to get hooked on drugs and illicit sex; then they fall off the train Hogwarts Express, and end up derelicts. Too much money, too little meaning in their lives. Exposed to "adulthood" before they've been children, and the exposure is in a fantasy world, not Life–the Reality.)

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

If this is turning into a list of movies we've watched and liked, I'll give it quick go.

Dave (see above)

Undercover Blues (dumb, but very funny)

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1950s)

The Ten Commandments (1923) morality tale worth retelling

The Ten Commandments (1956) horrid dialogue, but a powerful movie

Prince of Egypt (animation) Just as a counterpoint to the above

The Bible, In the Beginning (1966) Good telling of the tales, definitely not true to LDS doctrine

Dumbo (it'd never get made today) Belief in self is critical to success

The Sound of Music Everybody loves Mary Poppins, even when she's not Mary Poppins.

Harry Potter 1 just enough darkness and very true to the novel

The Lord of the Rings I,II,III wish Jackson had made six movies and had an unlimited budget.

Nevada Smith (1967?) Hard life, but Steve McQueen makes it real, a story of revenge and the price it demands

Lehi

I, like Lehi, do not watch many movies and have posted above the last movie I watched, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

A short list of movies I have watccched that I like.

Tombstone (because I think Val Kilmer is one of the best actors ever and he was a great Doc Holladay)

Willow (a fun movie of good vs evil and a Val Kilmer movie)

Star Wars (all of them my kids loved them)

Star Trek (all of them, my kids loved them and so did I)

A beautiful Mind

The Saint (another Val Kilmer movie)

Tremors (just a for fun movie)

The Gods Must be Crazy

Edited by ERayR

After sitting on it for several months (too long) I finally watched Avatar again. Oh how I love that movie.

Next up: a continuation of the Batman marathon. So far my friend and I have seen Batman: The Movie (with Adam West), Batman, Batman Returns, and Batman Forever. Not sure if we'll watch the next one or just skip straight to Batman Begins.

I agree 100%! Empire is soooo much better than Return of the Jedi. Why did Lucas have to ruin that movie with the 15 minute ending of all of the Ewoks dancing and singing that stupid "Chub Chub" song?

Well, you'll be thrilled to know that George Lucas agreed with you

Now it sounds like The Lion King. :unsure:

Edited by cinepro