Seriously No Politics ×

Eldern Kearon and no middle initial

1 hour ago, Nofear said:

Elder Kearon has has two middle names but chooses not to use their initials. Apparently this vexes some.
https://email.deseret.com/media-misrepresentation?ecid=ACsprvuuv7uuwPRPFZsQlSg4s25Z6YdAfFamk4S7KJiebvBGQOuf4S4aSFGA7FoQ7PYCg5XxyCWe

I didn't catch that it vexed some people.  Just that it has been noticed. 

I did find it funny that he said, "“It’s just Brits don’t do that,” and "it's just not our way" because it's really not an American way either, though it does seem like it is sometimes a religious American thing. There are just too many who don't use middle initials or names for me to think of it as a thing.

I love that he spoke up about his preference.  My guess is that is the biggest reason for it because most people just don't speak up about this kind of thing.

Edited by Rain

What a scandal!   

58 minutes ago, Rain said:

I did find it funny that he said, "“It’s just Brits don’t do that,” and "it's just not our way" because it's really not an American way either, though it does seem like it is sometimes a religious American thing. There are just too many who don't use middle initials or names for me to think of it as a thing.

I love that he spoke up about his preference.  My guess is that is the biggest reason for it because most people just don't speak up about this kind of thing.

I also thought it amusing that he blamed it on his British culture.  I wonder how the Brit J.R.R. Tolkien (2 middle names) feels about that!  (I know he wasn't born in England, but his parents were Brit, and he moved back to England, fought in the British army, and died in England.)

If I had to guess, I bet he strongly considered it and thought that it just sounded too cumbersome to use 2 middle initials between his names.   "Elder Patrick R. D. Kearon" doesn't really flow off the tongue. 

Omigosh.

I always thought it was done with the Apostles in this dispensation when they started calling people with the same first and surnames e.g. Joseph Smith, Joseph F Smith, Joseph Fielding Smith, Ezra T Benson, Brigham Young, Brigham Young Jr., John Taylor, John W Taylor, George A Smith, George Albert Smith

And so on...

4 minutes ago, maj said:

I always thought it was done with the Apostles in this dispensation when they started calling people with the same first and surnames e.g. Joseph Smith, Joseph F Smith, Joseph Fielding Smith, Ezra T Benson, Brigham Young, Brigham Young Jr., John Taylor, John W Taylor, George A Smith, George Albert Smith

And so on...

I am sure that is how it started, but when one prophet does it...it becomes a holy thing or something.  Kind of like the beard, to the no beard, to the 'you are a rebel if you wear a beard and are barred from missionary service or attendance at BYU'.    

He's hardly the first Apostle with a middle initial but chose not to use it. Past luminaries include Erastus [Fairbanks] Snow, Rudger [Judd] Clawson, the Prophet Joseph Smith's brother William, sometimes used a "B." Strangely enough Hugh B. Brown's middle name was "Brown"🤪

Edited by Duncan
17 hours ago, Rain said:

When I was trying to find the news clip again there was stuffs on the interwebs. Nothing I care to link or find again though.

2 hours ago, Nofear said:

When I was trying to find the news clip again there was stuffs on the interwebs. Nothing I care to link or find again though.

Weird. I know things change though. Yesterday I did some screenshots of a website in case it gets taken down as I've been given the runaround on a deal with a company and that page was my proof.