Idaho County Sheriff Pulls Gun on Church Youth Group

smac97

46 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Gross.  

I recall my youth group TPing our favorite ward members house (it was 1980, it’s what we did) and the homeowner chasing us down calling us obscene names.  The next Sunday he blubbered an apology at the pulpit at testimony meeting.  It was a complete disaster show beginning to end. 

I went to high school in the early 90s and was in band. After football games we would go TP our friends' houses. It was never done maliciously -- it was just something fun you did to your friends. We never did it when it was going to rain. My house got hit twice (both times when I was out hitting our people's houses). My parents laughed, but made me clean everything up, ha. It was innocent fun.

1 hour ago, MiserereNobis said:

I went to high school in the early 90s and was in band. After football games we would go TP our friends' houses. It was never done maliciously -- it was just something fun you did to your friends. We never did it when it was going to rain. My house got hit twice (both times when I was out hitting our people's houses). My parents laughed, but made me clean everything up, ha. It was innocent fun.

In the '60's in California only the cool kids got their houses papered.

I was pretty nerdy, but was dating a popular girl (yes, it IS possible) and I celebrated when my house finally got papered.

I was officially "cool"! 🙄

14 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

In the '60's in California only the cool kids got their houses papered.

I was pretty nerdy, but was dating a popular girl (yes, it IS possible) and I celebrated when my house finally got papered.

I was officially "cool"! 🙄

We sort of felt that way when we got papered for my brother being in the wrestling team in the early 70’s, but honestly the attention given the team usually, it felt more like a pity papering.

My sister got a good laugh out of it…until my dad made her clean it all up. And no, I was not nice enough to help. We had the kind of trees it would stick to unless taken off immediately and he was not going have the trees looking like they cut themselves shaving.

I remember the joke being made she could reuse it as it was a waste of TP otherwise, but can’t remember if Dad actually said that or we were just saying that he would. Dad was not humorless, but no joking when he was ticked and he was ticked at the time. No doubt made jokes about it later though.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2021/12/blackfoot-mayor-police-department-call-for-the-resignation-of-sheriff-craig-rowland/

Rowland’s attorney Justin Oleson attacked EastIdahoNews.com for publishing statements included in court documents and said this news organization is a tabloid that wishes to cause “drama and unrest.”

“That statement was taken completely out of context by the investigator and East Idaho News,” Oleson said to EastIdahoNews.com “It appears that occurred so that Sherriff (sic) Rowland’s name could be further slandered and his reputation tarnished by the media in an attempt to sway the jury of public opinion. Sherriff (sic) Rowland has had a good working relationship with the Shoshone Bannock Tribes and Tribal Members and has the utmost respect for his law-abiding neighbors on the reservation.”

Yeah, right…

Idaho Law limits Bingham County’s actions against a sheriff accused of a crime. The law states the officeholder would only be removed if convicted of a felony or any public offense involving a violation of their oath of office.

This is a public offense involving a violation of their oath of office if he is not convicted of a felony…but surely with a gun and physical contact it was a felony (he was charged with 2 felonies and a misdemeanor) and he has admitted to it, so not seeing an out with that.

Added:  got to admit, I have had to correct a double “rr” in “sheriff” myself in this thread, but not a good look for a statement from his lawyer.  And I am laughing at EIN identifying it in a statement trashing them.  I can see the editor grinning as they typed “sic” twice.:girl_devil:

Edited by Calm
16 minutes ago, esodije said:

“I had an alcoholic beverage. So it was a quart of Everclear—at least I was clear.”

Great stuff if you run out of gasoline.

A must for every 72 hour kit.

"The doc said it'll kill me, but he didn't say when"

13 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

Great stuff if you run out of gasoline.

A must for every 72 hour kit.

"The doc said it'll kill me, but he didn't say when"

I tried to make vanilla extract with it once. Didn’t put in enough beans or wasn’t patient enough.  I was an innocent back then and oh, so uncomfortable walking into the provincial alcohol store (early 90’s, it is now privatized). Just wanted to try it for fun (had a book on making your own cooking materials like homemade ketchup and baking powder).

5 hours ago, smac97 said:

Here:

Oi.

He engaged in this behavior while being "clear as a freakin bell."  Well, then.  No grounds for leniency or other consideration for being inebriated, then.

Man, this is pretty bad.  But wait, it goes on...

And the badness even goes on from there...

To sum up:

• He chased after a church youth group with a gun.
  • He pulled the youth group leader out of the car by her hair.
  • He brandished the gun, pointed it at the youth group leader's face and threatened to shoot her.
  • He threatened to shoot her.  
  • He subsequently seemed to blame his misconduct on "drunk Indians" who are "not good people" who have previously come to his door.
  • He has previously publicly declared the majority of sexual assaults in Idaho are fabricated.

I am grateful nobody in the youth group was injured.

I am very much in favor of law enforcement being well-funded and admired, but also well-regulated and held accountable.  Sheriff Rowland needs to be held accountable for this misconduct.

Thanks,

-Smac

EDIT TO ADD:

Is this guy a member of the church? He has to be, otherwise, why would the YW be dropping stuff on his door?

Btw, your message box is full. Tried to message you, but it said you can't receive messages.

16 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

Is this guy a member of the church? He has to be, otherwise, why would the YW be dropping stuff on his door?

It said they were thanking community members in one article, so I don’t think it necessary. The YW do it to nonmembers in my neighborhood depending on the reason. 

Edited by Calm

This article specifies “congregation”, so looks like he is officially a member.  Could have been someone else in the household though. 

On the evening of Nov. 9, a Latter-day Saint youth group was placing “thankful turkeys” on the doors of members of their congregation. The activity involved several girls ages 12 to 16 writing notes of thanks shaped like turkeys, taping them on doors, ringing doorbells and running away before they could get caught by the occupants.

That night a group of seven young women and their adult leader visited Rowland’s neighborhood. Most of the night proved uneventful until they tried to leave a note for Rowland and his wife

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2021/12/sheriff-charged-with-felony-aggravated-assault-after-allegedly-threatening-youth-group-with-gun/

As usual East Idaho News provides lots of details.  Combined with Smac’s, I would say it does not look good for him.

Around 8 p.m., Rowland told investigators, he went to let his Yorkie out to relieve itself. Rowland said he saw two people outside of his home and they ran down the road from the house. Rowland made sure no one had broken into his patrol vehicle and he went back inside. 

Minutes later, Rowland said he heard his front screen door open and a knock at his door. Fearing someone was trying to break into his house, Rowland had his wife bring him his gun. Dressed in his long johns, socks and a T-shirt, the sheriff went outside again.

Long johns and a T-shirt is not a pleasant image. Guess he goes to bed early.  Really want to know if they are red. 

In Ring doorbell footage, Rowland is shown looking at the turkey and can be heard saying, “Thank you,” and “That’s frickin bulls***.”

This appears to imply that no one has an actual reason to thank him for anything.  Would not surprise me. Added: I lie down corrected, he apparently was key to finding a missing son and arresting a potential bomber of a church. 

Rowland said he saw a vehicle driving down the road, which he stopped. Rowland said the car did not look familiar and the driver of the car stopped and opened the driver’s side door. 

“I reach in and pull the driver out by the hair,” Rowland told investigators, according to court documents. “I say, ‘Who the f*** are you?’ And I do have a gun in my hand, but I still have my finger on the slide.”

Rowland told investigators he pointed the gun at the woman’s head. The woman later identified herself as a neighbor and family friend for over three decades.

I assume she was a friend of his wife.

I hope this guy was not ever on the streets. I can see him pulling over random strangers thinking he had seen them robbing stores and missing guys he had tossed in jail a couple of times. Perhaps he wasn’t wearing his glasses and was blind as a bat isn’t (https://www.livescience.com/55986-are-bats-really-blind.html). Or maybe he has face blindness, perfect for an LEO.  :rolleyes:

Rowland said he did not recognize her. He continued yelling profanities at the woman and girls and pointed his weapon at the woman. Eventually, Rowland said he went back to his home and let the youth group leave. 

Rowland told investigators that he had had a single alcoholic drink that night, but he was clear-headed. He told investigators about several threats that had been made against him and his wife in recent months that caused them to be concerned about people at their home. 

“I have been doing this job for 36 years,” Rowland said. “I have had drunk Indians drive down my cul-de-sac. I’ve had drunk Indians come to my door. I live just off the reservation, we have a lot of reservation people around us that are not good people.”

Steps in it well and truly. 

Although Rowland is accused of a crime it does not necessarily mean he committed it. Everyone is presumed innocent until proven guilty. 

While Rowland faces the felony charges, he still retains his elected office as Bingham County sheriff. When news of the investigation broke, he agreed to take a brief leave of absence while the investigation was ongoing. Once it was completed, he returned to work, according to Bingham County Prosecutor Paul Rogers.

Love the disclaimer, lol.  Perhaps it was his evil twin. 

I would vote for a recall election immediately, except not a resident.  I do predict if he runs again in Idaho or any state with a large Young Women contingent, he won’t be getting elected. While they can’t vote, their parents sure can. 

Edited by Calm
58 minutes ago, Calm said:

I tried to make vanilla extract with it once. Didn’t put in enough beans or wasn’t patient enough.  I was an innocent back then and oh, so uncomfortable walking into the provincial alcohol store (early 90’s, it is now privatized). Just wanted to try it for fun (had a book on making your own cooking materials like homemade ketchup and baking powder).

Newly temple married, and now with my pregnant wife, I wanted to experience living in Zion, so we got one apartment in SLC and another for my aging mom in the same building, to see if we all wanted to stay, and maybe start a business.

My mom was Catholic and would have 1 beer at night to help her fall asleep, against arthritis pain.

Our ward was about 4 square blocks, and the store was within our ward boundaries, and about 1 block from our apartment.

And of course I would buy my mom some groceries, including her low alchohol beer.

Yep, you got it!

EVERY TIME I bought her beer, there was a ward member in that dang store! 😱🤯

They would try not to notice, but I noticed that they noticed, so I had some 'splainin to do

Mostly for other reasons we only stayed a year.  ;)

Hmm….

https://www.idahostatejournal.com/news/local/confrontation-between-bingham-county-sheriff-female-youth-group-called-likely-misunderstanding/article_db629141-fe0c-5d21-b596-4206c54cb07e.html

No glasses in this picture. 

Got to say calling this a “likely misunderstanding” is an understatement even for a church member (they were not speaking officially, so not calling them church representatives…also thinking maybe the local leaders should be calling new PR people as I imagine the YW leader and girls aren’t so supportive of the sheriff and don’t appreciate the appearance that the Church is okay with guns being pointed at its people).  I get we often downplay bad acts, but a gun holding to her head, threatening to shoot her is not a misunderstanding.  It is a crime. 

Glad to see he is not usually incompetent and he has helped people over the years.  

The church itself is not expressing an opinion on the incident but local church representatives expressed their support for Rowland as sheriff.

Ray Matsuura, a church communications official from Blackfoot, called Rowland’s service to the community “commendable.”

Matsuura said Rowland, who’s been sheriff for more than 10 years, was instrumental in finding his missing son safe and unharmed a few years ago.

Dan Cravens, another church communications official from Blackfoot, said Rowland “saved lives” by arresting a man who planned to use homemade bombs to blow up an LDS church in Blackfoot in 2015.

“Bingham County is fortunate to have a competent sheriff,” Cravens said.

Matsuura and Cravens described the Nov. 9 incident involving Rowland as a “likely misunderstanding,” but the Idaho Attorney General’s Office will determine if what happened during the confrontation rises to the level of being criminal.

Rowland, who is a member of the LDS church,

My guess is his Bishop is going to call him in for a Word of Wisdom interview sometime soon, if he hasn’t already, and point out to him the dangers of drinking and wearing long johns at the same time.**** 

It is a pity the cops weren’t called on him and he was required to take a breathalyzer test. I am very curious if he only had one drink and it is not an uncommon occurrence for him to step outside in his long johns, waving his gun around, threatening to shoot people for thanking him. 

****I had to call 911 once for a close neighbour who zombied out and scared his grandson by just staring at him and saying nothing. Could have sworn he’d had a stroke, but apparently he’d just overheated due to long johns over long sleeved and legged garments in summer. The paramedics couldn’t figure out what he was wearing. I got to explain he was a fellow Mormon and this was religious underclothing, but I couldn’t explain the long johns…he was a former trucker who dressed like a cowboy, wore bolos to church instead of ties…it was Calgary, after all. 

Edited by Calm
1 hour ago, mfbukowski said:

EVERY TIME I bought her beer, there was a ward member in that dang store!

Wife's grandmother smoked 2 packs of Chesterfield kings unfiltered per day. We all took turns picking them up.  Sometimes ran into other members. I'd offer one, just to be nice.

37 minutes ago, Chum said:

Wife's grandmother smoked 2 packs of Chesterfield kings unfiltered per day. We all took turns picking them up.  Sometimes ran into other members. I'd offer one, just to be nice.

I so missed out having my family both sides back to great greats as members.

1 hour ago, Calm said:

This article specifies “congregation”, so looks like he is officially a member.  Could have been someone else in the household though. 

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2021/12/sheriff-charged-with-felony-aggravated-assault-after-allegedly-threatening-youth-group-with-gun/

As usual East Idaho News provides lots of details.  Combined with Smac’s, I would say it does not look good for him.

Long johns and a T-shirt is not a pleasant image. Guess he goes to bed early.  Really want to know if they are red. 

This appears to imply that no one has an actual reason to thank him for anything.  Would not surprise me. Added: I lie down corrected, he apparently was key to finding a missing son and arresting a potential bomber of a church. 

I assume she was a friend of his wife.

I hope this guy was not ever on the streets. I can see him pulling over random strangers thinking he had seen them robbing stores and missing guys he had tossed in jail a couple of times. Perhaps he wasn’t wearing his glasses and was blind as a bat isn’t (https://www.livescience.com/55986-are-bats-really-blind.html). Or maybe he has face blindness, perfect for an LEO.  :rolleyes:

Steps in it well and truly. 

Love the disclaimer, lol.  Perhaps it was his evil twin. 

I would vote for a recall election immediately, except not a resident.  I do predict if he runs again in Idaho or any state with a large Young Women contingent, he won’t be getting elected. While they can’t vote, their parents sure can. 

I can almost bet if it were a black YM's leader and the young men, the leader and possibly the young men, would have been shot.

Edited by Tacenda
13 minutes ago, Calm said:

I so missed out having my family both sides back to great greats as members.

Oh yeah, geeze. My dad and the neighbors kept a still. When I was 6, I had a southern rock band living in my back yard. My siblings supplied the audience with pot grown all around our property.

FF a few years: My best friend's neighbor supplied most of the region with PCP. You could smell the ether a block away when he was cooking.

Basically there are no years of my youth without dozens of these anecdotes. Did I mention I'm a convert?

edit: When I went to Catholic school, my first confession required 3 priests.

Edited by Chum
15 minutes ago, Chum said:

Oh yeah, geeze. My dad and the neighbors kept a still. When I was 6, I had a southern rock band living in my back yard. My siblings supplied the audience with pot grown all around our property.

FF a few years: My best friend's neighbor supplied most of the region with PCP. You could smell the ether a block away when he was cooking.

Basically there are no years of my youth without dozens of these anecdotes. Did I mention I'm a convert?

edit: When I went to Catholic school, my first confession required 3 priests.

Wow Chum! I was raised in a little cocoon here in Utah. 

Edited by Tacenda

I doubt it will come as a shock to anyone who is even remotely aware of my posting history that I have a pretty strong pro-law-enforcement, pro-prosecution "bent."  ("Noooo! :o :blink: :shok:  You don't say?!")  That said, as a member of neither profession, I reserve the right to "call them like I see them."  If I could ask the Sheriff anything, it would be this: Who the he!! trained you in threat assessment, and, while we're at it, who has trained or is training your deputies?  I hope they are [much!!!] better at it than you are!!

I'm willing to revisit my assessment as further facts come to light, but in no universe of which I am aware would any reasonable law enforcement officer take the actions the sheriff took under the circumstances in which he took them.

I sent the following request to the Idaho Attorney General's Office:

It is my understanding that because of potential or actual conflicts of interest (or in order to avoid such conflicts) the Attorney General's Office has taken over prosecution of Bingham County Sheriff Craig Rowland for possible crimes he may have committed while confronting leaders and members of a youth group of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints after the group left a Thanksgiving message on his door.

The incident is likely to be of keen interest not only to the citizens and residents of Idaho, but also elsewhere in the Intermountain West, as a high percentage of the area's residents are members of the Church of Jesus Christ.  I am a sometime freelance/amateur journalist, and, while I have never been licensed, I have a law degree.  I would be keenly interested (as I believe many others would be, as well) in seeing the full Probable Cause Statement that was filed in support of the arrest of Sheriff Rowland.

In summary, this incident is of keen interest to perhaps hundreds of thousands of people who live throughout the Intermountain West.  I have visited several on line sources of information where news of the incident is featured prominently, and, while I have not taken the time to peruse the comment sections of all of those resources, at one site where I have taken the time to peruse such comments, it is a topic of keen interest that has generated much commentary and wide-ranging discussion.  I'm sure the Attorney General's office is interested in keeping misinformation to a minimum, and release of this information will facilitate that objective.

I would be happy to pay any nominal, reasonable costs associated with putting the information in a useful format.  Also, I would be happy to accept a PDF copy of the Probable Cause Statement filed by the AG's Office.  While you are, of course, absolutely free to contact me via any of the means I have provided, email and text are probably best.

Thank you very much for your very kind attention to, and consideration of, this matter.

Sincerely,

-Ken K. Gourdin 

“I have been doing this job for 36 years,” Rowland said. “I have had drunk Indians drive down my cul-de-sac. I’ve had drunk Indians come to my door. I live just off the reservation, we have a lot of reservation people around us that are not good people.”

Okay, but even if I wanted to buy your “****-and-bull” story that you was scared a them-thar Injuns, and even if I didn’t think that you’re racist, Sheriff Not-For-Much-Longer, you’ve already been caught on camera saying this:

In Ring doorbell footage, Rowland is shown looking at the turkey and can be heard saying, “Thank you,” and “That’s frickin bulls***.”

In what universe that square with “Oh, my goodness! I thought that those nasty young women and their leaders posed such an imminent threat of serious bodily injury or death to me and to my family that I felt compelled, not only to stand my ground and defend myself against that threat, but to pursue those nasty young women and their leaders, and to make sure they knew that if they came back again, I wouldn’t hesitate to use my firearm (if not to use it then and there)!”

It sounds to me, Sheriff ... not as though you were scared, not as though you had any reasonable, imminent fear of serious bodily injury or death of yourself or of anyone else … Rather, it sounds to me like you were p!$$ed off, and wanted to teach someone a lesson. (And, incidentally, if I were arguing this case as a prosecutor, that’s exactly what I would argue, and if I were deciding whether you should keep your certification as a law enforcement officer, that’s exactly what I would conclude.)

So, tell me, Sheriff … how am I wrong?