Seriously No Politics ×

Idaho County Sheriff Pulls Gun on Church Youth Group

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

I can almost bet if it were a black YM's leader and the young men, the leader and possibly the young men, would have been shot.

Well, since we're speculating, I'd have to find zero support for such a notion.  Dude lives by the reservation and has issues with Native Americans (and apparently women).   The whole "Yt ppl gotta be racist against blacks cuz they yt" stuff is just horrible racist ignorant nonsense.

Edited by LoudmouthMormon
1 hour ago, Kenngo1969 said:

sent the following request to the Idaho Attorney General's Office:

Is this what you are interested in, Ken?

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2021/12/read-court-documents-charging-local-sheriff-with-felonies/

The thankful turkeys were for his wife.  The more I read about it, the worse it gets…sheesh..the only explanation is he was drunk, he kept his trailer on the woman’s property, for crying out loud.  How could he not recognize her, not register the seven girls in the car?

The only mitigating circumstance I have read so far is the outside light was not originally on when the two girls first attempted to put the turkey on the door and then ran off.  But he turned it on after he got his gun from his wife.

The light went on in the car before he grabbed her by the hair, he is laughing after screaming at the girls the first time they come to the door.  The Ring video is clear he is reacting to the turkey on the door as Ken points out earlier when he decides to get his gun.

image.thumb.jpeg.6a512200cb88a565295397e010f880ae.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.28155f23804ecf86705183f787f989f9.jpeg

Edited by Calm

“I have been doing this job for 36 years,” Rowland said. “I have had drunk Indians drive down my cul-de-sac. I’ve had drunk Indians come to my door. I live just off the reservation, we have a lot of reservation people around us that are not good people.”

Okay, but even if I wanted to buy your “****-and-bull” story that you was scared a them-thar Injuns, and even if I didn’t think that you’re racist, Sheriff Not-For-Much-Longer, you’ve already been caught on camera saying this:

In Ring doorbell footage, Rowland is shown looking at the turkey and can be heard saying, “Thank you,” and “That’s frickin bulls***.”

In what universe that square with “Oh, my goodness! I thought that those nasty young women and their leaders posed such an imminent threat of serious bodily injury or death to me and to my family that I felt compelled, not only to stand my ground and defend myself against that threat, but to pursue those nasty young women and their leaders, and to make sure they knew that if they came back again, I wouldn’t hesitate to use my firearm!”

It sounds to me, Sheriff ... not as though you were scared, not as though you had any reasonable fear, of imminent  of serious bodily injury or death [for yourself or for your loved ones] … Rather, it sounds to me like you were p!$$ed off, and wanted to teach someone a lesson. (And, incidentally, if I were arguing this case as a prosecutor, that’s exactly what I would argue, and if I were deciding whether you should keep your certification as a law enforcement officer, that’s exactly what I would conclude.)

So, tell me, Sheriff … how am I wrong?

Edited by Kenngo1969
11 minutes ago, LoudmouthMormon said:

Well, since we're speculating, I'd have to find zero support for such a notion.  Dude lives by the reservation and has issues with Native Americans (and apparently women).   The whole "Yt ppl gotta be racist against blacks cuz they yt" stuff is just horrible racist ignorant nonsense.

Well, I am what I am, I guess. But not racist, that I know of. You haven't watched stuff like this? I could go all night posting stories....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/12/20/black-people-doing-normal-things-who-had-police-called-them-2018/2374750002/

https://www.npr.org/2021/11/24/1058240388/ahmaud-arbery-murder-trial-verdict-travis-greg-mcmichael

Edited by Tacenda
48 minutes ago, LoudmouthMormon said:

Well, since we're speculating, I'd have to find zero support for such a notion.  Dude lives by the reservation and has issues with Native Americans (and apparently women).   The whole "Yt ppl gotta be racist cuz they yt" stuff is just horrible racist ignorant nonsense.

You don’t think if he is bigoted against Native Americans and women, the probability he is also bigoted against blacks is high?

Would he have shot someone if it was two dudes who looked like they were from the reservation in the car who had dropped a bag of dog poop on his porch…got to wonder.

Edited by Calm
1 hour ago, katherine the great said:

Lol! How about a “ Point your gun in a woman’s face and yank her out of the car by her hair“ interview?

Right after the being out in public in his long johns…though his house being on a dead end cul-de-sac, I can see the temptation…sort of.

He tells his wife to get his gun, but not his pants?

Edited by Calm
2 hours ago, Calm said:

Got to say calling this a “likely misunderstanding” is an understatement even for a church member (they were not speaking officially, so not calling them church representatives…also thinking maybe the local leaders should be calling new PR people as I imagine the YW leader and girls aren’t so supportive of the sheriff and don’t appreciate the appearance that the Church is okay with guns being pointed at its people).  I get we often downplay bad acts, but a gun holding to her head, threatening to shoot her is not a misunderstanding.  It is a crime. 

This is actually quite disturbing to me. The church “ representatives “ go on and on in defense of this man while completely disregarding the trauma that he caused to these girls and this woman. Shaking my head at Eastern Idaho… 

23 minutes ago, katherine the great said:

This is actually quite disturbing to me. The church “ representatives “ go on and on in defense of this man while completely disregarding the trauma that he caused to these girls and this woman. Shaking my head at Eastern Idaho… 

I hope they hadn’t heard the details yet and just heard there was some sort of confrontation.  One of them, he sees the sheriff as saving his son; the other stopping a mad bomber of a church.  I can see in those cases it would be a high bar to cross to think a member of the church (sounds like his wife is active) would react this way to Young Women.  The guy had to have been drunk and maybe it wasn’t known he drank.  I am assuming his cup-de-sac is typically dark at night.  I don’t know the guy, think he is an absolute bigot and sexist from what he said and I still can’t believe he knowingly reacted to Young Women this way without being out of his mind somehow.

But if they expressed those opinions after hearing the detail that he just didn’t wave the car down and stop it, but held the gun to or pointed at her head after grabbing her by her hair earlier so had to know it was a woman, that the light was on his porch so he saw the turkey, the light was on in the car so he could see who they were….then yeah, something very wrong.

Edited by Calm
25 minutes ago, katherine the great said:

Idaho seems to have some issues, maybe why my daughter-in-law quit after a year of being a teacher. Very traumatic how she was treated. But sorry if this derails, but I'm thinking Idaho needs some help.

https://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2021-12-15/businesses-idaho-education-politics-are-hurting-state

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

Wow Chum! I was raised in a little cocoon here in Utah. 

My little town was kind of like a cocoon. It had a 1900 era prison (that belonged to a different state) with it's own railroad and brick factory, a cold war missile and tracking installation, the county's dump, reservoir & sewage treatment plant and every displaced hillbilly that SE states could spare (eg:us). From 59-69 it hosted a (then unknown, now forgotten) yearly A-list jazz festival. Also unknown, we had the worlds first operating nuclear reactor (SM-1, 57-73, classified).

There was no place like it. Every inch of it is gone now, long paved over with mini-mansions.

17 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Idaho seems to have some issues, maybe why my daughter-in-law quit after a year of being a teacher. Very traumatic how she was treated. But sorry if this derails, but I'm thinking Idaho needs some help.

https://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2021-12-15/businesses-idaho-education-politics-are-hurting-state

Yah. About 80% of our legislators are complete nincompoops. But I consider Eastern Idaho a notch below Western Idaho. (Not that I’m biased or anything…)

38 minutes ago, Calm said:

hope they hadn’t heard the details yet and just heard there was some sort of confrontation.  One of them, he sees the sheriff as saving his son; the other stopping a mad bomber of a church.  I can see in those cases it would be a high bar to cross to think a member of the church (sounds like his wife is active) would react this way to Young Women.  The guy had to have been drunk and maybe it wasn’t known he drank.  I am assuming his cup-de-sac is typically dark at night.  I don’t know the guy, think he is an absolute bigot and sexist from what he said and I still can’t believe he knowingly reacted to Young Women this way without being out of his mind somehow.

You are clearly nicer than I am. 🙂

24 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

It is my experience that insular cultures (where a group of youth & adults only work/school/church/activity with each other) breed bad behavior.  I've seen it in small groups and am guessing it scales up.

19 minutes ago, katherine the great said:

You’re way too intelligent to be naive (okay maybe just a little…)

My head says one thing, the child in me I don’t want to go away, but has some hang ups I wish she’d deal with is very naive. I don’t mind it as long as ‘she’ doesn’t cause someone to get hurt, which I have at least once when I should not have trusted. 

Edited by Calm
1 minute ago, Calm said:

My head says one thing, the child in me I don’t want to go away, but has some hang ups I wish she’d deal with is very naive. I don’t mind it as long as ‘she’ doesn’t cause someone to get hurt, which I have at least once when I should not have trusted. 

Pshaw. Try hauling around a frightened 6yo boy inside you for the rest of your life.

2 hours ago, Calm said:

You don’t think if he is bigoted against Native Americans and women, the probability he is also bigoted against blacks is high?

Would he have shot someone if it was two dudes who looked like they were from the reservation in the car who had dropped a bag of dog poop on his porch…got to wonder.

I think there is plenty to indict him on based on his already admitted misconduct.  No need to go speculating as to other possible, but not yet demonstrated, faults.

8 hours ago, Chum said:

Wife's grandmother smoked 2 packs of Chesterfield kings unfiltered per day. We all took turns picking them up.  Sometimes ran into other members. I'd offer one, just to be nice.

I haven't smoked now in over 40 years, but on entering big office buildings surrounded by smokers hanging around, I have to admit, I inhale deeply.  Wow, I still miss that vile habit!

29 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

I haven't smoked now in over 40 years, but on entering big office buildings surrounded by smokers hanging around, I have to admit, I inhale deeply.  Wow, I still miss that vile habit!

It stinks, so what was so attractive about it, if I may ask?  I tried vaping cannabis a couple of times to see if that could helped my Meniere’s and even that mild version gave me a sore throat.  Is the drug effect that great?

Edited by Calm
20 hours ago, MiserereNobis said:

I went to high school in the early 90s and was in band. After football games we would go TP our friends' houses. It was never done maliciously -- it was just something fun you did to your friends. We never did it when it was going to rain. My house got hit twice (both times when I was out hitting our people's houses). My parents laughed, but made me clean everything up, ha. It was innocent fun.

In my neck of the woods it was TPing people's cars that was the big thing (and much easier to clean up afterwards, though since it included shaving cream and toothpaste it could still be a chore).  Once a group of friends and I had our cars TP'd by some boys while we were all at a slumber party, so we decided to up the game and decorated the insides of their cars when they were all at the football banquet at the end of the season.  No one locked their cars in my town so we got them good.

One kid still had glitter and pieces of silly string stuck to the ceiling when he sold his car years later.  

13 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Yeah, I have a lot of similar stories that align with yours.  You know what else I have?
https://fallacyinlogic.com/anecdotal-fallacy-definition-and-examples/

Here it is in audible format, if you prefer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HVYC1YNCSU

Here is how we teach the concept to children:
https://academickids.com/encyclopedia/index.php/Anecdotal_evidence

Nah, if it's ok with you, Imma stick with my earlier statement that "yt ppl be racist because they yt" is a racist belief, with zero support for such a notion.  Anecdotes just don't do it.

Edited by LoudmouthMormon