Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

The relationship between adam and eve before the fall


Recommended Posts

Posted

I was reading the following in the Bible today as part of my devotional.

Gen 3:16  - Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy 
conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be 
to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee".
 

What was the marriage relationship like between Adam and Eve before it changed in
the Fall?  I couldn't find anything relevant in this Old Testament Study manual.

Pete

 

Posted
19 minutes ago, TheTanakas said:

I was reading the following in the Bible today as part of my devotional.

Gen 3:16  - Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy 
conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be 
to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee".
 

What was the marriage relationship like between Adam and Eve before it changed in
the Fall?  I couldn't find anything relevant in this Old Testament Study manual.

Pete

 

The marriage relationship did not change. The dictum  in Genesis 3:16 only confirms that it shall continue despite the life-altering events of the Fall. The previous Chapter (section 2-10 onward) is very instructive about the eternal nature of marriage.

Posted
45 minutes ago, TheTanakas said:

................................

What was the marriage relationship like between Adam and Eve before it changed in
the Fall?  I couldn't find anything relevant in this Old Testament Study manual............

I'd speculate that the two of them were like innocent children, not at all conscious of good and evil, and had certainly not consummated their marriage.

Posted
47 minutes ago, TheTanakas said:

I was reading the following in the Bible today as part of my devotional.

Gen 3:16  - Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy 
conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be 
to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee".
 

What was the marriage relationship like between Adam and Eve before it changed in
the Fall?  I couldn't find anything relevant in this Old Testament Study manual.

Pete

 

Was just thinking how sad that so much misogeney and poor treatment of women has been a result of one small verse about two fictional characters.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TheTanakas said:

I was reading the following in the Bible today as part of my devotional.

Gen 3:16  - Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy 
conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be 
to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee".
 

What was the marriage relationship like between Adam and Eve before it changed in
the Fall?  I couldn't find anything relevant in this Old Testament Study manual.

Pete

 

Another place in the Bible that I believe is man-made and is the start of many women being abused. 

Edited by Tacenda
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Another place in the bibile that I believe is man-made and is the start of many women being abused. 

Yeah...shame on that Moses for writing such a thing.  He should have known man would abuse scripture for their own selfish acts.

Edited by JLHPROF
Posted
10 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Yeah...shame on that Moses for writing such a thing.  He should have known man would abuse scripture for their own selfish acts.

We don't know how it was transcribed. Or if the translation process could have been mistranslated. My God wouldn't do this to a woman. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

My God wouldn't do this to a woman. 

See my signature.

Posted

I think Eve was just his sidekick.

Just ribbing you a little.

 

Posted
51 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Yeah...shame on that Moses for writing such a thing.  He should have known man would abuse scripture for their own selfish acts.

Moses did not write it. Moses is likely another fictional character.  But I always did like the Ten Commandments with Charlton Heston.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

Yeah...shame on that Moses for writing such a thing.  He should have known man would abuse scripture for their own selfish acts.

Abuse is a good word for it, I think.

"and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee"

Adam did preside on a covenant level after the Fall, in which they blessed the name God and served Him together (Moses 5:5-12; 6:51-68 -- where Adam is more proactive) but also before (e.g. 3:19-20). As it was not good for man to be alone and so the helpmeet was provided by a power and authority outside his own (Genesis 2:18), neither was it good for woman to enter paradise without it having been prepared, through delegation, by that same power and authority, in other words, without someone that would cleave to her with added value.

Edited by CV75
Posted
3 hours ago, Teancum said:

Was just thinking how sad that so much misogeney and poor treatment of women has been a result of one small verse about two fictional characters.

I agree with this.  Adam and Eve were not real people and are only symbolic.  

Posted
9 minutes ago, 2BizE said:

I agree with this.  Adam and Eve were not real people and are only symbolic.  

I disagree as should most believing Mormons.
Several prophets have actually seen Father Adam.

Of course, if you don't believe then you can consider anything symbolic.

Posted
46 minutes ago, 2BizE said:

I agree with this.  Adam and Eve were not real people and are only symbolic.  

Whether figurative/symbolic or literal/actual, the underlying spiritual principles and the reality of the covenant application and  relationship are the same.

Posted (edited)
On 4/23/2021 at 3:41 PM, JLHPROF said:

I disagree as should most believing Mormons.
Several prophets have actually seen Father Adam.

Of course, if you don't believe then you can consider anything symbolic.

Several prophets have CLAIMED to see Adam and Eve. That though is not evidence. No way all humans come from two people who lived 6000 years ago let alone the Noah and the flood problem.

Edited by Teancum
Posted
3 hours ago, Teancum said:

Several prophets have CLAIMED to see Adam and Eve. That though is not evidence. Now way all humans come from two people who lived 6000 years ago let alone the Noah and the flood problem.

So what would you say are the spiritual principles to be gained by the scriptural account?

Posted
4 hours ago, Teancum said:

Several prophets have CLAIMED to see Adam and Eve. That though is not evidence. Now way all humans come from two people who lived 6000 years ago let alone the Noah and the flood problem.

God just isn't capable of allowing that I guess.

Posted
18 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

God just isn't capable of allowing that I guess.

Well if he is there is no evidence whatsoever to support it and a ton that refutes it.

Posted
18 hours ago, CV75 said:

So what would you say are the spiritual principles to be gained by the scriptural account?

Not sure what you are looking for?  I know what the doctrine, both in traditional Christianity for the LDS Church, teaches about Adam and Eve and the fall.  I know what teachings and principles come for it. I guess the main question is are they beneficial to human beings well being.

Posted
On 4/23/2021 at 9:28 AM, Teancum said:

Was just thinking how sad that so much misogeney and poor treatment of women has been a result of one small verse about two fictional characters.

Even taking your apparent perspective, that is a pretty naive view.

It would not be in there if it were not already in the culture.   So you think women's equalty was in complete perfection until that verse was "published" to the few that could read it?

I would disagree, even taking your perspective

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...