Covid II: Medical Info and Implications

Apologies if someone already has posted this.  I didn't see it in the portion of the thread I looked at.

https://www.deseret.com/u-s-world/2021/3/24/22346280/common-cold-kills-coronavirus

11 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

I finally got an appointment for my second shot. I get it Saturday at 4:20 p.m.. it's 45 days after my first shot. I hope that's okay. It will have to do.

I was just told it is fine up to 72 days. Mine will be around 45 days as I thought I was scheduled and was not. :)  

Second day after second shot. Soreness is almost gone. Had fewer side-effects than first shot.

Near complete immunity in just over two weeks and if what I hear about it altering your DNA is true I also need to stay alert to see if I have developed any superpowers.

(Note: It does not actually change your DNA)

imdb_vaccines_2x.png

mask_opinions_2x.png

21 hours ago, The Nehor said:

... Near complete immunity in just over two weeks and if what I hear about it altering your DNA is true I also need to stay alert to see if I have developed any superpowers.

"Developed" ... ? :(  You mean, you're not a Superhero already? :sorry:

Dang! :huh::unknw:

1 hour ago, CA Steve said:

My wife and I both have had our second shots (Moderna). 1st shot no big deal besides a very sore arm, the second shot hit us both very hard for a couple days. 

Dang! :(  I was hoping, since I didn't have much of a reaction to the first one, that the second one wouldn't be any big deal!  Thanksalot! :angry::(:unknw:

;):D

P.S.:  Seriously, though, I wonder: If the second shot doesn't hit somebody pretty hard, does that mean the person has a crappy immune system, since s/he should have at least some antibodies already from the first shot? :unknw::huh:

Edited by Kenngo1969
1 hour ago, Kenngo1969 said:

r: If the second shot doesn't hit somebody pretty hard, does that mean the person has a crappy immune system, since s/he should have at least some antibodies already from the first shot?

Iirc, an article I read a couple of days ago stated researchers didn’t believe there was any connection between level of immunity and severity of response, but more study needed to be done to be sure. 

10 minutes ago, CA Steve said:

My wife and I are on opposite ends of the spectrum for immune system. Mine is fairly robust and hers is almost completely non existent due to fighting brain cancer for the last two years. We both felt about the same after the first shot but the second one hit her a lot harder than me. I felt crummy for a couple of days and she was incoherent and disoriented  for at least a day. But, given her situation, it was hugely important she get it. No side effects since then, about a month ago. And, we are both much more comfortable around others now, though we still mask up and socially distance when we are around non immunized people.

Sorry to hear about your wife's (and, by extension, your) struggles. :(:huh:   I wish you the best.

3 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

"Developed" ... ? :(  You mean, you're not a Superhero already? :sorry:

Dang! :huh::unknw:

Unlike Tony Stark I am not proud of my abilities.

Imagine holding a press conference to deny some superhero events and proudly saying: “I am Aquaman.”

My wife and I just got our second shots.  She's 70 and I'm nearly 67.  No problems with them.   Getting our initial appointment for March 1st took a while, after she spent weeks trying and being frustrated hour after hour, day after day, to the point of wanting to go to Utah to try  (Pennsylvania was 47th in administring the vaccines at that point.)   But the next day, we got our first appointments together.  

The US  449 had thousand deaths in one year, by far the highest death count, in the world, exceeding all the US 20th century wars, for long stretches exceeding 9/11 and bloody Omaha beach death tolls daily, and by that measure, the world's most incompetent response from the supposedly most technologically advanced and dominant economy on earth. Most of that death toll, preventable, as comparison with nations whose leaders and people early on committed to "bearing one another's burdens, that they may be light" demonstrate.   There ought to be a message in there somewhere.   But if it is political in any respects, could it possibly be religious?

FWIW,

Kevin Christensen

Canonsburg, PA

Edited by Kevin Christensen

If you haven't got your vaccine yet and you have the drop app they have an offer for the first something thousand of $20-50 for taking a selfie while getting the shot.

3 hours ago, Rain said:

If you haven't got your vaccine yet and you have the drop app they have an offer for the first something thousand of $20-50 for taking a selfie while getting the shot.

Don’t come to any of the salt lake county clinics if you want to take advantage of it.

No picture policy :P

3 hours ago, Rain said:

11 minutes ago, pogi said:

Don’t come to any of the salt lake county clinics if you want to take advantage of it.

No picture policy :P

Party Pooper! :P;):D

On 3/21/2021 at 4:48 PM, DispensatorMysteriorum said:

I was able to get my first shot on March 4.  I got Pfizer.  My wife got her first shot a few days later, but took Moderna.  I'll get dose #2 this coming Thursday. 

EDIT:  I was slightly tired and had a slight headache about 16 hours after my shot.  Not sure if that was a coincidence or if it was related.  My wife had a stomach ache about 24 hours after her first shot.  Also not sure if that's related or coincidence. 

As an update to this. I got my second shot last Thursday.  No side effects other than a sore arm that lasted through Sunday, and a slight headache Friday afternoon/evening (could be coincidence). 

Did you get Pfizer @DispensatorMysteriorum?  That's what I got last week, first shot and no pain in arm or symptoms. And while waiting for it I heard someone say that there are less symptoms with it vs. Moderna. So I was tickled pink that it just so happens that the Walgreens I was at had it, yay. But I shouldn't speak too soon, haven't had my second one yet.  

Edited by Tacenda
1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

Did you get Pfizer @DispensatorMysteriorum?  That's what I got last week, first shot and no pain in arm or symptoms. And while waiting for it I heard someone say that there are less symptoms with it vs. Moderna. So I was tickled pink that it just so happens that the Walgreens I was at had it, yay. But I shouldn't speak too soon, haven't had my second one yet.  

My husband who had Pfizer had no symptoms he thinks either first or second shot.  I had a sore arm with my first Moderna shot, but then vaccines do that to me.  My last tetanus shot killed me.  I need to get a booster and keep putting it off.  Get the second next week.

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

And cases are on the rise again.

Guy, I already won my bet that the death count in the US would be closer to 500k than 250k. We’re just showing off at this point.

I’ve been saying “but no promises things will change after my second shot because there is the third wave possibility” and getting chided for being too pessimistic.  I checked yesterday and Utah is one of 18 states in a plateau at least, but generally rising as you say.  I am not happy, but won’t veto the current plan of a semi family trip next month just yet.

Here’s hoping people have learned something and the rise slows and reverses soon.

16 hours ago, Calm said:

My husband who had Pfizer had no symptoms he thinks either first or second shot.  I had a sore arm with my first Moderna shot, but then vaccines do that to me.  My last tetanus shot killed me.  I need to get a booster and keep putting it off.  Get the second next week. [Emphasis added, of course, by Kenngo1969.]

You mean, you've been resurrected?! :shok::blink::huh:

Who knew? :unknw:

Do tell! ;):D

P.S.: Just in case there's someone, somewhere doing a slow-but-hot burn about my lack of empathy, I am sincerely sorry that your last tetanus shot killed you.  I'm reasonably certain that you would probably say, in the immortal words of Buddy Ryan, Judge Harry's biological father on the television series Night Court and a former mental patient (played by John Astin), who often, after describing a previous episode in which the symptoms of his illness afflicted him along with the way in which they did so, would say, "But I'm muuuch better now!" ;)

Edited by Kenngo1969
13 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Yes, I got the Pfizer vaccine. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-9424617/A-Americans-killed-coronavirus-lived-nursing-homes.html

• Less than 1% of Americans live in nursing homes, but the population makes up 31.7% of all COVID-19 deaths in the U.S.
  • However, experts say that vaccinations, which began rolling out in December, have caused figures to decline ever since
  • Weekly COVID-19 deaths have declined by 93% from December 20 and March 14 compared to 40% among the U.S. population
  • Between late December and mid-March, weekly coronavirus infections among nursing home residents fell from 33,592 to 927, a 97% drop
  • Comparatively, national cases have fallen from a weekly sum of 1,507,588 to 381,549, a decline of 74%
17 hours ago, Calm said:

I’ve been saying “but no promises things will change after my second shot because there is the third wave possibility” and getting chided for being too pessimistic.  I checked yesterday and Utah is one of 18 states in a plateau at least, but generally rising as you say.  I am not happy, but won’t veto the current plan of a semi family trip next month just yet.

Here’s hoping people have learned something and the rise slows and reverses soon.

Jiminy Christmas!  Let's all just get hermetically sealed! :rolleyes:<_<  (I'm not critiquing your caution, Cal.  I think that's wise.  I'm simply expressing general frustration about the fact that it seems that no one can tell us what the "endgame" of this whole sorry episode is ...)  "Yay, infections are down!  Darn!  They spiked again!  Yay!  They're trending down again!  Darn, they're increasing again! ..."  And on and on.  "Wear a mask!"  "No, not that kind of mask!"  "Wear two!"  "Wear three!"  "Don't resume anything resembling normal life, even after you've been vaccinated fully! ..."  And on and on, and around and around we go, and where we stop, nobody knows!!!!

And no, @pogi, I'm not suggesting that the virus isn't serious, that people should take it seriously, that people shouldn't take every reasonable, sensible precaution, that they shouldn't wear masks, that they shouldn't distance socially when and where at all possible, that they shouldn't be vaccinated, that the virus is nothing more than a vast government conspiracy, and so on and so forth, ad infinitum, ad nauseam.  Yes, I know it has made countless people seriously ill, has made countless more people at least slightly ill, may have curious, strange, highly-impactful sequelae for decades, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera ... :rolleyes:<_<

[Sigh!]  Okay.  I got it out of my system.  I think.  Maybe.  For at least a few minutes.  We now return you to your regularly-scheduled programming on the 24/7 ACATT (All-COVID-All-The-Time) Network!

Edited by Kenngo1969