Covid II: Medical Info and Implications

This is great news. I hope it stays low going forward. Life is precious. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-9451535/US-suicides-dropped-year-defying-pandemic-expectations.html

• There were 44,834 deaths by suicide in the U.S. in 2020, down from 47,511 in 2019
  • The 6% decline is the steepest seen in 40 years, according to a new analysis of preliminary CDC deaths data  
  • Death certificates are still coming in and could push the number of suicides up, but experts think the drop will remain historic
  • Public health experts, former president Trump and current President Biden all warned that pandemic isolation and economic hardship would drive up suicides 
  • But suicide fell from the 10th leading cause of death to the 11th in 2020  
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm curious about something: If you've been fully vaccinated, where do you stand on resuming normal activities?  I don't have sources, but the general consensus among experts seems to be, "Oh, no, no, no!  Don't resume normal activities!"  Huuuuh, whaaaat? :huh::unsure::unknw:   Ooooh-kay!  Then would someone please tell me why I got vaccinated?  I get it: Continue to be cautious; wear a mask; continue to distance socially, or whatever, but if the vaccination isn't supposed to be a step back toward normal life, exactly what is it about, again? :unknw:

3 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

I'm curious about something: If you've been fully vaccinated, where do you stand on resuming normal activities?  I don't have sources, but the general consensus among experts seems to be, "Oh, no, no, no!  Don't resume normal activities!"  Huuuuh, whaaaat? :huh::unsure::unknw:   Ooooh-kay!  Then would someone please tell me why I got vaccinated?  I get it: Continue to be cautious; wear a mask; continue to distance socially, or whatever, but if the vaccination isn't supposed to be a step back toward normal life, exactly what is it about, again? :unknw:

Variants are contributing to rising cases. I have a looming wedding disaster. Variants can infect those who had covid but the vaccine is supposed to help unless you’re one of the unlucky breakthrough cases. So, get vaccinated but be cautious. My school district shut down 4 schools today. I’m a bit over it and wish we had focused more on therapeutics because this is going to be the ‘new flu’ with vaccines that guess   at which variant to target each year.

It’s not ever going away.

4 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

... So, get vaccinated but be cautious. ...

Okay.  I can't argue with that: I do think caution is in order.  I guess what I'm asking is, what does such "caution" entail?  Continue self-quarantining unless it is absolutely necessary to go out?  Wear masks (how many?  if one is good, two, three, four, or even more are better)?  Never again gather in groups with people outside one's own household (my "household" consists of, ummm, me )?  Never again gather in groups over a certain size?  No large groups, ever again (I'm not much of a "joiner," anyway, so COVID-19 has played well to my "loner" tendencies, but still)?  "The government" will let us know?  (If so, will it let us know beforehand or via ex post facto enforcement: "You shouldn't have done that!"  The penalty is ...)?

4 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

It’s not ever going away.

Okay, but, again, what, exactly does that mean?  People talk about the "new normal"?  What is that?  Status quo, in perpetuity?  "The government" will let us know, ex post facto?  And no, to prevent the inevitable onslaught, I'm not anti-government, anti-vaccine, anti-mask, et cetera, ad infinitum, ad nauseam.  I'm simply anti-arbitrary-enforcement of arbitrary rules that it seems that someone has pulled out of a certain part of his or her anatomy simply for the sake of seizing the opportunity of wielding power ... :huh::huh:<_<

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:
22 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

Okay.  I can't argue with that: I do think caution is in order. 

Well, I was expressing what the government is saying. I still wear masks where required but that’s about it. Life gets in the way. I’ve travelled, eaten out, gone to large weddings, thrown an illegal bridal shower in California etc. Attended a large family party (no masks) for my 85 year old mother before she went to memory care. Many I speak with are willing to take risks in order to ‘live.’ Schools need to stay open too. I’m over my schools opening and shutting down. 
Today I am going to the movies. I went to Universal Studios last October. I’ve been on a plane too many times to count.

If I die in my half vaccinated state next week, anyone who wishes can tell me I had it coming. 🙂😏

• Upvote 1
49 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

Well, I was expressing what the government is saying. I still wear masks where required but that’s about it. Life gets in the way. I’ve travelled, eaten out, gone to large weddings, thrown an illegal bridal shower in California etc. Attended a large family party (no masks) for my 85 year old mother before she went to memory care. Many I speak with are willing to take risks in order to ‘live.’ Schools need to stay open too. I’m over my schools opening and shutting down. 
Today I am going to the movies. I went to Universal Studios last October. I’ve been on a plane too many times to count.

If I die in my half vaccinated state next week, anyone who wishes can tell me I had it coming. 🙂😏

I hear ya.  It seems that each of us, you and I, are coming at the whole, "what's-permitted-versus-what's-not" and "how-the-heck-do-we-tell" questions from a bit different angles, but it seems as though we may well share the same frustrations.  Whatever else you do, do the best you can to stay safe!  Indeed, I wish you well.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Status quo in perpetuity? :huh::unknw:<_<

Ideally we go back to normality when we are down to contact tracing cases. That will require a lot more vaccination. If we had dealt with the virus more carefully we might have been close to that or even reached that by now. We didn’t and welp, consequences of choices I guess.

It also means the morons down the road from me need to stop having super spreader events in the stadium but what can you do?

Vaccination is starting to influence numbers so it is hopefully going to keep getting better. More contagious variants or (worse) variants that are more resistant or even immune to the current vaccines would reverse a lot of the progress. Hence the desire to keep numbers down. The less virus there is out there the less likely it is we get nastier mutations. 

• Upvote 2
45 minutes ago, halconero said:

Positive personal news:

- My in-laws all have the first dose. Sister-in-law has had both doses. All Pfizer and Moderna. No side effects.

- My parents are now booked.

- My spouse and I are booked. Bookings are not open to the general public in out age bracket yet, but we both have pre-existing conditions, myself with an autoimmune disorder, and my spouse as a previous cancer patient.

Best wishes to you and yours! :)

For those who lose taste and smell due to Covid, a free cookbook that started out as research for cancer patients having similar issues:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/loss-taste-smell-covid-19-cookbook-aims/story?id=76887711

Some estimates show that loss of smell from COVID-19 typically lasts two to three weeks for roughly more than half of patients who test positive for the virus. According to one study from Dr. Piccirillo from the Department of Otolaryngology at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, 95% of people who experience these problems recover completely.

While the science surrounding the changes in taste and smell from COVID-19 is still evolving, researchers have noted that for some patients when they do regain smell, fragrances they used to enjoy smell different, even unpleasant to them. This could be due to olfactory cells having to “rewire” as they recover.

According to Dr. Barry Smith, a scientist who worked on the cookbook, it’s possible to use food therapeutically.

While the recipes in the book won’t cure the loss of taste and smell, they can help people still find enjoyment in eating while these senses recover on their own.

Many people who experience these symptoms are still able to taste certain flavors such as sugar, salt, lemon juice or even the bitterness of coffee, according to Smith. He said his work showed that when taste and smell are altered, other senses can help people enjoy their food with certain textures. These can include stimulating saliva with umami flavor and stimulating the trigeminal nerve, which amongst other roles, regulates spicy-food sensations like stinging, cooling or even burning....

Meanwhile, the chefs said that garlic and onion, which normally are excellent bases for many dishes, are often found to be repulsive to patients suffering from altered taste and smell.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

During the past two weeks, according to data compiled daily by UNICEF, fewer than 2 million COVAX doses in total were cleared for shipment to 92 countries in the developing world — the same amount injected in Britain alone.

On Friday, the head of the World Health Organization slammed the “shocking imbalance" in global COVID-19 vaccination. WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreysus said that while one in four people in rich countries had received a vaccine, only one in 500 people in poorer countries had gotten a dose.

The vaccine shortage stems mostly from India’s decision to stop exporting vaccines from its Serum Institute factory, which produces the overwhelming majority of the AstraZeneca doses that COVAX counted on to supply around a third of the global population at a time         coronavirus is spiking worldwide.

COVAX will only ship vaccines cleared by WHO, and countries are increasingly impatient. Supplies are dwindling in some of the first countries to receive COVAX shipments, and the expected delivery of second doses in the 12-week window currently recommended is now in doubt. In a statement, the vaccine alliance known as GAVI told The Associated Press that 60 countries are affected by the delays.

“In the absence of high vaccination coverage globally, we risk dragging out the pandemic for several more years,” said Lavanya Vasudevan, an assistant professor at Duke University’s Global Health Institute. “Every day that the virus is in circulation is an opportunity for it to mutate into a more deadly variant.”

Earlier this month, the WHO appealed to rich countries to urgently share 10 million doses to meet the U.N. target of starting COVID-19 vaccinations in every country within the first 100 days of the year. So far, countries have pledged hundreds of millions of dollars to COVAX. But there are simply no doses to buy, and no country has agreed to immediately share what it has.

Bilateral donations of doses tend to go along political lines, rather than to countries with the most infections, and they aren't nearly enough to compensate for the goals that COVAX has set out.  Think Global Health, a data site managed by the Council on Foreign Relations, identified 19 countries that have donated a total of 27.5 million doses to 102 nations as of Thursday.

“You can make a strong argument that we’re better off making donations in crisis and getting the pandemic under control than vaccinating low-risk groups at home,” said Thomas Bollyky, director of the Global Health Program at the Council on Foreign Relations. Bollyky said COVAX was both a great disappointment and the only available option for most the world.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/stalled-jab-vaccine-shortages-hit-poor-countries-76990671

https://www.businessinsider.com/fauci-how-behavior-activities-changed-after-covid-19-vaccination-2021-4?utm_source=pocket-newtab

The CDC announced Friday that vaccinated Americans can travel by plane, train, or bus in the US without needing to quarantine or get tested, as long as they wear masks. 

I was thrilled, since the change meant I could finally make a plan to visit my 84-year-old grandmother in Minnesota. I'd been itching to see her for the past 12 months — she's in a senior-living home, and it's been hard to hear her sound lonelier and lonelier on our daily phone calls. She has wanted to show me her balcony garden for months and walk together on Wayzata Bay. 

So I asked Fauci if he, too, is planning any trips, in the hopes that he might share my excitement.

No such luck.

"I don't see that in my life," Fauci said. "When this is all over, then I'll worry about that."

When what is "all over"?  What does that mean, particularly in light of the fact that, as my  friend bsjkki has pointed out, COVID-19 isn't going anywhere? :unknw:

Edited by Kenngo1969
22 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/fauci-how-behavior-activities-changed-after-covid-19-vaccination-2021-4?utm_source=pocket-newtab

When what is "all over"?  What does that mean, particularly in light of the fact that, as my  friend bsjkki has pointed out, COVID-19 isn't going anywhere? :unknw:

“all over” = pandemic stage. It’s projected to change from a pandemic to endemic by most scientists. As in with herd immunity through (hopefully mostly) vaccine and (hopefully less so getting it directly) illness we hit a point that we have some base immunity to covid-19 that getting sick with its variants will not have the same effect and the amount who get sick in general will drastically reduce. It will become manageable, basically, largely through mass vaccination to give covid less of a breeding ground to evolve. 

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n494

• Upvote 2
On 4/8/2021 at 7:58 PM, bsjkki said:

Another Johnson and Johnson vaccine distribution site closes after 18 have side effects. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/colorado-north-carolina-johnson-and-johnson-vaccine-reactions/

I'm glad I waited, was searching for this vaccine at the first, glad it wasn't available at the time in most places I checked.