smac97 Posted June 4, 2020 Posted June 4, 2020 Here: Quote The First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has released the following letter about the October 2020 general conference. Dear Brothers and Sisters: While some areas of the world continue to experience the effects of a serious pandemic, other areas do not. As a worldwide organization, we have an obligation to be good citizens and to act with caution as it relates to such a unique setting as general conference, which traditionally brings thousands of visitors to Salt Lake City from around the globe. Because of our concern for the health and safety of others, we have decided that the October 2020 general conference will follow the same pattern as the conference held in April of this year. The general sessions will be broadcast as usual. However, the general sessions will not be open to the public. Additional details about general conference, scheduled for October 3 and 4, 2020, will be shared as they are finalized. We pray that the Lord’s choicest blessings will attend you. Sincerely yours, Russell M. Nelson Dallin H. Oaks Henry B. Eyring Not surprising, this. Thanks, -Smac 3
Damien the Leper Posted June 4, 2020 Posted June 4, 2020 I like this because it's more comfortable when you fall asleep during one of the more boring talks. 2
Nacho2dope Posted June 4, 2020 Posted June 4, 2020 I am glad they are doing this. I liked the April conference went and look forward to this one in October. 1
JAHS Posted June 4, 2020 Posted June 4, 2020 38 minutes ago, Valentinus said: I like this because it's more comfortable when you fall asleep during one of the more boring talks. 3
Ahab Posted June 4, 2020 Posted June 4, 2020 I like that they explained the reason, world travel, and that they gave plenty of notice before people started to buy travel tickets or make room reservations or ask stake presidents for tickets to the conference. 3
Ahab Posted June 4, 2020 Posted June 4, 2020 (edited) 8 minutes ago, JAHS said: Makes me wonder why so many people like to go to events "live and in person" when they could watch the same thing while sitting on their own furniture while watching it televised on their own big screen TV. ... with the add capability of pausing the program when they want to. ... and with easy access to their own kitchen or lavatory facilities. Home. Always the place where I would rather be or at least come back to when I do decide to go to some other place. Edited June 4, 2020 by Ahab 3
JamesBYoung Posted June 4, 2020 Posted June 4, 2020 Some have told me the format of the April General Conference was wonderful and received great spiritual comfort and blessings. Others went 'meh.' I found it interesting.
Ahab Posted June 4, 2020 Posted June 4, 2020 (edited) 14 minutes ago, JamesBYoung said: Some have told me the format of the April General Conference was wonderful and received great spiritual comfort and blessings. Others went 'meh.' I found it interesting. I couldn't tell much difference between the old way and the new way, except it felt a little like time travel when it was time for the/a choir. There was always a full audience when a choir sang, whatever year it was, except for the last choir session when they were all singing outside. Edited June 4, 2020 by Ahab 2
HappyJackWagon Posted June 4, 2020 Posted June 4, 2020 2 hours ago, Ahab said: Home. Always the place where I would rather be or at least come back to when I do decide to go to some other place. Pithy. You should put that on a t-shirt I'm in 100% agreement! 2
JAHS Posted June 4, 2020 Posted June 4, 2020 1 hour ago, Ahab said: I couldn't tell much difference between the old way and the new way, except it felt a little like time travel when it was time for the/a choir. There was always a full audience when a choir sang, whatever year it was, except for the last choir session when they were all singing outside. My sister was a member of the choir for 20 years. It was fun seeing her singing in it again. 3
strappinglad Posted June 4, 2020 Posted June 4, 2020 I would like to see the live choir singing in masks and gloves , color coordinated of course. Either that or record each member separately and photoshop them all together . Seriously if we are still playing this game in October , I will need a rubber room !!!! 2
Ahab Posted June 4, 2020 Posted June 4, 2020 8 minutes ago, strappinglad said: I would like to see the live choir singing in masks and gloves , color coordinated of course. Either that or record each member separately and photoshop them all together . Seriously if we are still playing this game in October , I will need a rubber room !!!! It helps me a lot to look at the bright side. I am enjoying a lot of perks by working from home and just being home more often in this new way of doing things. A rubber room still might be something good to have though. Check Amazon for rubber panels when they are on special. If you are a Prime member they will deliver for free. 1
Robert F. Smith Posted June 4, 2020 Posted June 4, 2020 6 hours ago, smac97 said: Here: Not surprising, this.......................... Perhaps Dr Nelson is also saying something about a forthcoming second wave of pandemic.
Robert F. Smith Posted June 4, 2020 Posted June 4, 2020 1 hour ago, strappinglad said: I would like to see the live choir singing in masks and gloves , color coordinated of course. Either that or record each member separately and photoshop them all together . ................................... They could all record simultaneously with earphones and mics on, just like a recording studio, but from their own homes. No masks, no gloves.
Robert F. Smith Posted June 4, 2020 Posted June 4, 2020 4 hours ago, Ahab said: Makes me wonder why so many people like to go to events "live and in person" when they could watch the same thing while sitting on their own furniture while watching it televised on their own big screen TV. ... with the add capability of pausing the program when they want to. ... and with easy access to their own kitchen or lavatory facilities. Home. Always the place where I would rather be or at least come back to when I do decide to go to some other place. You forgot the popcorn. 1
Ahab Posted June 4, 2020 Posted June 4, 2020 1 minute ago, Robert F. Smith said: You forgot the popcorn. Didn't mention it but I do have my own popcorn maker, like they have in most movie theaters too , just smaller. And I also have a really big pantry... excuse me, food storage facility... with lots and lots of good foods in it. 🤠 1
Scott Lloyd Posted June 4, 2020 Posted June 4, 2020 4 hours ago, Nacho2dope said: I am glad they are doing this. I liked the April conference went and look forward to this one in October. It was not unpleasant, but certainly not optimal. I look forward to the days when we can get back to normal with our conferences. 2
Scott Lloyd Posted June 4, 2020 Posted June 4, 2020 34 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said: Perhaps Dr Nelson is also saying something about a forthcoming second wave of pandemic. We should beware of reading too much into it.
Hamba Tuhan Posted June 4, 2020 Posted June 4, 2020 2 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said: Perhaps Dr Nelson is also saying something about a forthcoming second wave of pandemic. It’s clear from the data that America is still in its ‘first wave’. The only question at this point is how far in. I hope it’s further than I fear! I live in a jurisdiction that has now gone nearly five weeks without any active cases of coronavirus in a nation where daily numbers of new confirmed cases are near the single digits and fully traceable. That’s what the end of a first (and hopefully only!) wave looks like. 2
JamesBYoung Posted June 5, 2020 Posted June 5, 2020 Utah is going up again in solid pandemic numbers.
Tacenda Posted June 5, 2020 Posted June 5, 2020 44 minutes ago, JamesBYoung said: Utah is going up again in solid pandemic numbers. If I read it right it looks like the green light will soon be going on, for some dumb reason.
nuclearfuels Posted June 5, 2020 Posted June 5, 2020 7 hours ago, JAHS said: 8 hours ago, Valentinus said: I like this because it's more comfortable when you fall asleep during one of the more boring talks. Aha! That's why those benches at the chapel are the way they are. Alwasy wondered
Robert F. Smith Posted June 5, 2020 Posted June 5, 2020 5 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said: We should beware of reading too much into it. I had just rec'd a request to answer a question on Quora, but didn't bother. https://www.quora.com/Does-President-Russell-M-Nelson-receive-revelation?__nsrc__=4b However, in this thread, it did occur to me that he receives revelation on a regular basis (perhaps daily), and that October is 4 months away, and that his decision to continue proper restraint and social distancing at that time may have been inspired. 3
Scott Lloyd Posted June 5, 2020 Posted June 5, 2020 5 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said: I had just rec'd a request to answer a question on Quora, but didn't bother. https://www.quora.com/Does-President-Russell-M-Nelson-receive-revelation?__nsrc__=4b However, in this thread, it did occur to me that he receives revelation on a regular basis (perhaps daily), and that October is 4 months away, and that his decision to continue proper restraint and social distancing at that time may have been inspired. Your point is well taken. 1
Boanerges Posted June 5, 2020 Posted June 5, 2020 April conference was not different for me than it has been for many years ever since we got BYUTV nearly 20 years ago. Nowadays I stream it instead of getting it via satellite, but BYUTV is the same either way (I do sometimes stream on Youtube or the Latter-day Saints Channel). Nothing to see here, October will just be another normal conference. I was a little surprised at the advance notice of the announcement, but agree that it probably has some to do with travel. It would appear that by October even hotspot places like NYC will be back to having regular church services unless there is another wave or resurgence by then. 1
Recommended Posts