Mind if I gripe about Utah driving?

MustardSeed

First of all, Utah is my second favorite state due to accessibility, easy directions, weather, wide roads, outdoor adventure, canyons and childhood memories. 

But in all my travels across the US I have never seen such abominable driving practices anywhere that compare to Utah.  First prize in absolute fearful driving , including the NorthEast. I’m here to visit this week and the lane drifting and constant lane changing and speeding is unbeatable. Last night I witnessed someone blow through a 2 way stop and then immediately cruise through a heavy intersection red light.

Did I mention I was in the middle of a 4 car pile up accident on 1-15 at thanksgiving point? Who’s the brilliant engineers piloting that mess? It was fun explaining that incident to the friend who’s car I’m borrowing this week. 😕 

I’m quite impressed by the growth here.  The amount of shopping and restaurants is insane and the homes we gawked at last night after leaving American fork canyon were divine. 

And the sunset- enough to calm my racing heart as we drove the death match drive home. 

Edited by MustardSeed
32 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

First of all, Utah is my second favorite state due to accessibility, easy directions, weather, wide roads, outdoor adventure, canyons and childhood memories. 

But in all my travels across the US I have never seen such abominable driving practices anywhere that compare to Utah.  First prize in absolute fearful driving , including the NorthEast. I’m here to visit this week and the lane drifting and constant lane changing and speeding is unbeatable. Last night I witnessed someone blow through a 2 way stop and then immediately cruise through a heavy intersection red light.

Did I mention I was in the middle of a 4 car pile up accident on 1-15 at thanksgiving point? Who’s the brilliant engineers piloting that mess? It was fun explaining that incident to the friend who’s car I’m borrowing this week. 😕 

I’m quite impressed by the growth here.  The amount of shopping and restaurants is insane and the homes we gawked at last night after leaving American fork canyon were divine. 

And the sunset- enough to calm my racing heart as we drove the death match drive home. 

I'm from up north in Davis County. But recently went to Moab and there is the forever freeway construction through Utah County, that never ends. Sorry you were in that accident. :( Glad you're okay! I hate driving I-15, get such anxiety, ever since they raised the speed limit to 70, because now it gives Utah drivers the ability to break that and go nearly 80. 

Just now, strappinglad said:

Do they ever get done highway construction on the I -15 ? Some years back I almost got eaten by an 18 wheeler when my lane closed suddenly...at 10:30 pm ! 

Well it’s in full construction mode in lehi.

three days in a row we have been hit by debree from trucks- pipe, a box of water bottles, and loose cardboard. 

Insanity. 

I-15 is still under construction up here in Layton too.  I don't think it every really ends.

But I'm with you on the driving stuff MS.  I've only lived here for 6 years but I've never dealt with so many people who drive in the fast lane regardless of what speed they are going, and then refuse to move over when a car comes up behind them.  It's so incredibly frustrating!

25 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I'm from up north in Davis County. But recently went to Moab and there is the forever freeway construction through Utah County, that never ends. Sorry you were in that accident. :( Glad you're okay! I hate driving I-15, get such anxiety, ever since they raised the speed limit to 70, because now it gives Utah drivers the ability to break that and go nearly 80. 

We chose to drive up at 3 AM for my daughter’s ECT clinic appts two years ago just to avoid the traffic. It can be quite fun driving at night. My husband had to drive us for her psychiatrist appts until we had her switched to one 10 minutes from home....which is heavenly in comparison.  Really cuts down on anxiety for all concerned. We loved her old doctor, but it felt so counterproductive to be forcing her to be anxious when that was the biggest reason she had the appts. 

———

The exit for UVU is so, so stupid imo. Way too complicated and dangerous (have to quickly move over three lanes to get into the university, they should have done a dedicated exit, imo).

Edited by Calm

In CA, we survive by letting other cars in, I don't see that so much in Utah. Mostly, I see really bizarre stuff like people trying to make a left turn on a multi-lane road by sitting in the opposite traffic's left turn lane.... facing the oncoming traffic. And 4 or more cars continuing to turn left when my light is green. There really seems to be a thing about left turns which are done anywhere at any time. 

The scariest though is the lack of reflective lane stripes. I can't see them if it rains which terrifies me on freeways. I was in a downpour and the only lane marker I could see was the unbroken white stripe next to the shoulder.  I hugged that thing all the way. And then there are the weird lane configurations where you have oncoming traffic going on both sides of your space. 

1 minute ago, juliann said:

In CA, we survive by letting other cars in, I don't see that so much in Utah. Mostly, I see really bizarre stuff like people trying to make a left turn on a multi-lane road by sitting in the opposite traffic's left turn lane.... facing the oncoming traffic. And 4 or more cars continuing to turn left when my light is green. There really seems to be a thing about left turns which are done anywhere at any time. 

The scariest though is the lack of reflective lane stripes. I can't see them if it rains which terrifies me on freeways. I was in a downpour and the only lane marker I could see was the unbroken white stripe next to the shoulder.  I hugged that thing all the way. And then there are the weird lane configurations where you have oncoming traffic going on both sides of your space. 

Glad to know I'm not the only one seeing these things!

1 hour ago, juliann said:

Yes!  When we were in CA a couple of years ago we were so surprised by how nice everyone was when driving and how easily you could get in!  It's embarrassing to drive here in Utah when so many people are absolute jerks on the road.

And I agree too about the dangers when it rains here.  You really can't see the lanes at all, which is hard enough if you are familiar with the area but if you aren't and have no idea what the road is going to do, it's is terrifying.  And don't get me started on the dumb ways that Utah tries to cut down on backed up traffic at lights by forcing people to drive past their turn and then do a u-turn back to the intersection they just passed so they can make a right hand turn instead of a left.  And those things that you mentioned where they send people over to the opposite side of the road in a dedicated lane that is going the wrong direction?  Who comes up with this stuff!  

9 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

My favorite is the left hand exit off I-15 where, if not careful, you end up going to Cheyenne!!

They have one of those to get off I-15 into Bountiful and it's a little stupid, because you have to drive in the HOV lane to use it so it slows everything down and means that people have to cross the fast lane to get to it.

And how about that left-handed entrance onto I-15 around SLC that takes the vehicle right into the HOV lane and then doesn't let anyone legally exit it for another couple of miles?   

3 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

Coincidentally, I'm in Utah visiting this week as well.  I was also here for a week in late September / early October, and then drove down to St. George.  My observations about drivers and road construction are the same.

I'd like to know the statistics on accidents that occur in that poorly marked snake lane swerving maneuver that occurs on I-15 between Provo-Orem and SLC.  I drove that way both directions yesterday, and both times I had several people drift into my lane during the snaking exercises.  There are similar construction conditions on I-15 just north of St. George as well.  I would think that the traffic control in those areas would be a huge liability issue for UDOT or the contractor, because in some places in good conditions you really can't see the lane lines very well due to oil and tire wear on the striping and confusion with the seams in the pavement or concrete, and when conditions are poor (like during the rain/snow today, or while driving into the sun on I-15 like I did down by St. George, or at night) you can't see them at all.  It gets even more fun if you are in the left most lane (the one that would normally be for HOV) because you are inches away from the concrete barrier, and that can be nerve wracking for some drivers.   It is no wonder you ended up in an accident!  I agree with some of the other comments about needing reflective tape or raised reflectors to delineate the lanes.

I'm (not?) looking forward to the adventure of navigating those lanes in the snow that is expected this week!  I hope I survive, and my car survives.  And you too.

Edited by InCognitus
3 hours ago, InCognitus said:

Coincidentally, I'm in Utah visiting this week as well.  I was also here for a week in late September / early October, and then drove down to St. George.  My observations about drivers and road construction are the same.

I'd like to know the statistics on accidents that occur in that poorly marked snake lane swerving maneuver that occurs on I-15 between Provo-Orem and SLC.  I drove that way both directions yesterday, and both times I had several people drift into my lane during the snaking exercises.  There are similar construction conditions on I-15 just north of St. George as well.  I would think that the traffic control in those areas would be a huge liability issue for UDOT or the contractor, because in some places in good conditions you really can't see the lane lines very well due to oil and tire wear on the striping and confusion with the seams in the pavement or concrete, and when conditions are poor (like during the rain/snow today, or while driving into the sun on I-15 like I did down by St. George, or at night) you can't see them at all.  It gets even more fun if you are in the left most lane (the one that would normally be for HOV) because you are inches away from the concrete barrier, and that can be nerve wracking for some drivers.   It is no wonder you ended up in an accident!  I agree with some of the other comments about needing reflective tape or raised reflectors to delineate the lanes.

I'm (not?) looking forward to the adventure of navigating those lanes in the snow that is expected this week!  I hope I survive, and my car survives.  And you too.

That sounds awful! My daughter delivers floral supplies to many stores in Park City, Ogden, Payson and the SLC area. I worry all the time with the bad weather out there on her daily drives.

Some of the rudest drivers live in the wasatch front. It's as if they believe that what they are doing and where they are going is more important than what anyone else needs and they will do anything to to get there as fast as they can regardless of who is in their way. I live in California and most drivers are more easy going and courteous. Some do drive fast but at least they are nice about it and don't cut you off as much or become so impatient. 

1 hour ago, JAHS said:

Some of the rudest drivers live in the wasatch front. It's as if they believe that what they are doing and where they are going is more important than what anyone else needs and they will do anything to to get there as fast as they can regardless of who is in their way. I live in California and most drivers are more easy going and courteous. Some do drive fast but at least they are nice about it and don't cut you off as much or become so impatient. 

I remember being super anxious to drive on the freeways in California years ago because they all go the same speed, if that makes sense, and my sisters live there and my brother in law was a speed demon when with them. But you're right they are courteous, and it all seems to work, and flow great. I guess I was use to the sporadic Utah drivers, lol.

I did make it on the roads years ago, but was worried because of the speed. I'm thinking they were just so happy to be able to get up to that speed because of the slow downs before or after work.

ETA: Two years ago when visiting there I noticed their speed limit is still 65, if I'm remembering right. We were in the Long Beach/Annaheim area. That calmed my nerves right there!

Edited by Tacenda

For those of you who are outside of Utah and haven't had the I-15 experience, here's a sample of what the freeway looks like somewhere near Thanksgiving Point.  Notice the blue van at the right.  It was out of its lane (and not changing lanes) for several frames of this Google Maps Street View.  The date stamp on that series of street view photos was from about 5 months ago, so the paint isn't as fresh as it seems to be in this photo.  Also, the Street View photos are taken from high above the vehicle, so this photo doesn't give you the proper perspective of the concrete barriers to the height of a normal car:

image.thumb.png.4699fea6330c121106e5d8fac633718e.png

13 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

The lane drifting is what floors me.  It’s constant.  ! 

Stay safe out there fellow visitors.  The snow and wind aren’t helping. 

They're probably on their cell phone. But sometimes, not this case, I give people the benefit of the doubt. But other times I see people with their head down and know they are texting. Yesterday I followed or was behind, a car with a young guy and knew he was, and I watched to see how bad he would drive, he actually did pretty well, amazingly. I had seen him side by side and then the lane turned to one and I followed behind.

Edited by Tacenda

It's like they are playing Russian roulette for something to happen... earlier this year I was driving through town and turned my head to the side for just a second to glance at something... when I turned back here was a car stopped in front of me for a pedestrian so Wham!... I swerved but ran into them... thankfully I wasn't going over about 25 mph... didn't hurt their car as hit their heavy bumper (Jeep)... but my car was a mess on one side.  Thankfully it was repairable and my insurance handled everything... cost me $250 deductible.  It could have been sooo much worse.  

GG

I live in California. We have horrendous traffic problems in Silicon Valley and SF.

But I must say the most dangerous stretch of road I’ve ever been on, and felt quite unsafe is I-15 between Provo and Salt Lake City. 

Florida is called Floridumb for a reason, but this stretch of I-15 is worse in my experience. I’ve even driven in Italy!

On 11/25/2019 at 11:23 AM, Tacenda said:

It almost seems that the construction re-doing work done just a year of so ago.  I wouldn't be surprised if there is some kind of racket going on.  I would like to see an audit on some of these road construction projects.

On 11/29/2019 at 1:25 PM, mrmarklin said:

I live in California. We have horrendous traffic problems in Silicon Valley and SF.

But I must say the most dangerous stretch of road I’ve ever been on, and felt quite unsafe is I-15 between Provo and Salt Lake City. 

Florida is called Floridumb for a reason, but this stretch of I-15 is worse in my experience. I’ve even driven in Italy!

I'm also from California, but have lived in Utah for many years.  California drivers are much more courteous than what I see here in Utah.  Out here, you put on your turn signal to change a lane, and people in the other lane speed up to keep you from moving over.  It is just rude.