Seriously No Politics ×

Why Aren't There More Mormonism Vs. Calvinism Threads Here?

6 minutes ago, Calm said:

We talk about Catholicism at times mainly because there are thoughtful Catholics here making interesting comments to engage with.  If you want a healthy discussion about Calvinism, maybe you should stick around long enough to interest people in the subject.  Suggesting people are avoiding something when it is probably something they just aren't interested in about having to search out ideas to discuss on their own seems a bit much.

Oh, Calm. You've posted so often, but know so little about me. Where is the old guard?

3 minutes ago, cksalmon said:

Oh, Calm. You've posted so often, but know so little about me. Where is the old guard?

I know in the past you have contributed greatly to discussion about Calvinism, but you and others (Richard was a Calvinist iirc, Paul was for sure...I miss both of them, learned a lot from their posts here and on ZLMB, yours as well) aren't posting just like many "old guard" Saints.  FormerLDS pops up now and then, but he generally just keeps saying the same thing without engaging so a very different type of engagement than what happened when you posted, imo.

We lost a few Manga enthusiasts, I miss those admittedly few discussions, but it would never occur to me to claim the posters these days are avoiding them.

14 minutes ago, cksalmon said:

Ah. Fair enough. I was just attempting to (comically) stir the communal pot. I don't actually think you're collectively avoiding Calvinism, although I'm individually doing some of that myself these days. Cheers!

Sorry to misinterpret your intent.  I have to admit my memory of your personality is blurry, hopefully in the past I would have registered it.  I should have trusted in the Lego Minifigure.

Edited by Calm
1 hour ago, cksalmon said:

Ah. Fair enough. I was just attempting to (comically) stir the communal pot. I don't actually think you're collectively avoiding Calvinism, although I'm individually doing some of that myself these days. Cheers!

Oh, that is okay. These days it is not Mormons vs. Calvinists or Mormons vs. Catholics or even Mormons vs. ex-Mormons. It is mostly Mormons vs. Mormons.

Glenn

1 minute ago, Glenn101 said:

Oh, that is okay. These days it is not Mormons vs. Calvinists or Mormons vs. Catholics or even Mormons vs. ex-Mormons. It is mostly Mormons vs. Mormons.

Glenn

Well, it is harder to root out heretics now that we are not allowed torture or burning at the stake. Those were better times............

29 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Calvin & Hobbes?  Was Hobbes the guy who claimed that life was nasty, brutish, and short?

My gosh, such a pleasant duo! Life is nasty and there's nothing you can do about it.

Great comment- I never noticed that before!!  👍😂

2 hours ago, cksalmon said:

I check in once a year or so to fight the good fight. It seems you folks are AVOIDING Calvinism these days, for good reason!

Looks like you just started one.  My #1 question about Calvinism is this:  How do you square “Limited Atonement” with “God is Love?”

4 hours ago, cksalmon said:

I check in once a year or so to fight the good fight. It seems you folks are AVOIDING Calvinism these days, for good reason!

By and large apologists and the like these days only focus on naturalistic critics. I think Robert Boylan is the only one these days who really engages with Calvinists or Catholics much anymore. Everyone else is focused on secularism. Presumably because few Mormons leave and become Calvinists. I don't even know if many become Catholics although that was a semi-popular choice when I was young. Don't know about Orthodox although that always struck me as the more interesting choice. Especially in these days of scandal in Catholicism.

6 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Christians attacking other Christians over points of doctrine is so last decade. Now it’s all about atheists and the disenchanted attacking believers of all varieties. 

We need to gather around our similarities in opposition to our common enemy, secular humanism.

7 hours ago, cksalmon said:

Ahhh, the good old days. Just the other day I was trying to remember the name of the Calvinist fellow who had the Polish last name, I think his first name was Paul. We was a hoot! 

No one brings it up much any more because I don’t believe there are any Calvinists around here and even if there were, there is just so much mileage one can get from debating TULIP. How are the Calvinists doing nowadays? Growing, shrinking, maintaining?

Edited by Bernard Gui
11 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

My gosh, such a pleasant duo! Life is nasty and there's nothing you can do about it.

Great comment- I never noticed that before!!  👍😂

One of my favorite faux quotes was one given by Jerry Pournelle in one of his Janissaries SF novels. A character in the novel gives the definition of the Second Law of Thermodynamics as: "You cant win; you can't break even; and you can't get out of the game."